Cover Image: The Steal

The Steal

I wanted to like this book so very much.  The premise ticks off all my boxes:  mystery, historical fiction, romance.   .  But in the reading it just didn't come together for me.  It was a good beginning and hopefully the next book will finish the story this book began.

Thank you to Blue Box Press and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
What a fun book! The Steal by C.W. Gortner and M.J. Rose made me feel like I was in a 1950’s movie. The book was not very long which lent itself to a movie script feel. I had fun imaging all of this in my head. I have to tell you that I love old movies. This was a new book but it felt like a blast from the past!

There was a jewelry heist right as the Cannes Film Festival was too begin. Ania was the beautiful daughter who took over the famous jewelry store. Jerome was the investigator from the insurance company. They work together to solve the theft. Do you see a romance happening?

I liked the characters. Ania was hard as diamonds and Jerome was a hard nose investigator who smokes. This book is so typical of an old movie but, that is what made it fun for me.

The writing was spot on. The cadence and length of the book were well planned. If it was any longer, it would have reached the boring point. It didn’t! I think it ended just where it needed to. I was still having fun!

If you like old movies or anything that takes place in the 50’s, you might like this book as much as I did. I think the authors had fun with The Steal too. I can just picture them working all the fun details out.

I received a copy of this book from #Netgalley/#BlueBoxPress for a fair and honest review. Thank you!
I felt like I was back in time, the romance amd nostalgia of Cannes amd stars like Elizabeth Taylor a d Audrey Hepburn- add in a dramatic theft and the notorious jewel thief who is suspected and it is a perfect flashback to old black and white movies I loved. The only thing I didn’t love was the set up for another book. I like novels to wrap everything up!
3.5 stars really

This is part of a series I do believe, but I haven’t read any others. I do not think it affects the book any though because I didn’t feel lost over anything.

Jerome Curtis, ex military and covert op, is now an insurance investigator looking into claims for his company. Ania Thorpe, highly respected jewelry creator, has had millions of jewelry stolen from her before opening night at the Cannes festival. Jerome has to investigate Ania for fraud or find whom he suspects has stolen the jewelry from her….The Leopard. Can Ania’s company survive this loss and scandal? Can Jerome locate the jewelry or The Leopard? How many people will get hurt before this case is solved?

This story was short and interesting. I loved the time period it was in and the little details into Jeromes life during WWII. I really wasn’t expecting who The Leopard was until a little before it was revealed. The ending made me go “really?! That’s how it ends?!” Because I NEED to know more. Quick read and a good whodunnit book.
THE STEAL BY M.J Rose and C.W. Gortner
Historical fiction
141 pages

Ania Throne is a successful jeweler and very proud of her company.  All is going great for her until she goes to Cannes with some new stunning jewelry and she is robbed!!!!
She pairs with Jerome Curtis to get her jewels back. What neither of them expected is to fall in love during their thrilling chase.

I loved this novella by one of my favorite historical fiction writers and a new one. It is an adorable thrilling chase for these two new lovebirds. I highly recommend this book
If you like To Catch A Thief, I would give this book a try ... it is set in a nearly identical world and has similar pacing, twists and turns.  I was pleasantly surprised by this book and imagine it will be part of a series since it ended on a cliffhanger.  The characters are well written and the story felt real but also inspired. A very fun and fashionable caper!

The Steal comes out next week on August 10, 2021 and you can purchase HERE.

I want to lose myself in his body. I want to feel all of him against me. I press into him until he falls onto the bed. Conversations from cafes in the streets below drift through the window, and Piaf sings. And then i feel the sudden chill on my shoulders as he removes my pullover, his urgency as he trails his lips down my neck to my collarbone, his unshaven skin rough against mine. Coarsen in the way it should be, how I want it to be.
I enjoyed The Steal tremendously. With a glamorous backdrop of Cannes in the '50s, a heist-style mystery unfolds. Jerome is ex-military special operations. He works for the insurance company that insures jewels that have been stolen at the start of the Cannes film festival.  Jerome came across and very competent in his job, and I liked that his ability to take charge.  Ania is jewelry designer extraordinaire, daughter of a jewelry designing icon. It took a little time for Ania to grow on me, as the author unveiled her character a little more slowly.  Ania's specially designed jewels for well-known screen icons to wear during Cannes have been stolen. The story is told from alternating points of view between Ania and Jerome. Our interactions with the side characters are quick-lived as they move in and out of the story. The story was a quick read and I had no problem finishing it in one day.  All the action in the story happens quickly as well before moving on to the next scene. The overall feel of the story is a draw because the author presents a well-formed backdrop for the action that moves from Cannes, to Paris, and to New York. If I could change one thing, it would be that there was more story, character development, and more time spent on each aspect of the mystery.

Ultimately, the ending is left open a bit as if we may be getting a book two, which I would be happy to read.
Thank you Netgalley for the arc.  This is my honest reivew.
This was a jewel heist mystery/romance set in France in the late 1950’s. I got serious To Catch a Thief and Charade vibes from this book.

I do like that there is a dual perspective with chapters from Jerome’s POV and others with Ania’s POV. While Jerome and Ania were interesting characters, I didn’t feel the spark or chemistry that led to their romance.

I enjoyed the spectacular settings for this book, namely the Cannes Film Festival, Paris, and New York City. I also like the mid-1950’s vibe of the book.

The mystery of the jewel thief is solved at the end of the book, but there are issues that remain unresolved. For me, this made the ultimate unmasking of the jewel thief a bit blah.

All in all, an enjoyable read for people who love mid-1950’s movies like To Catch a Thief.

3.5 rounded up
I was immediately interested in this book because its cover evoked some of the books I read in high school by Mary Stewart and Phyllis A. Whitney.
The story setting is glamourous, with a daring heist of several pieces of high-end jewelry intended for various actors to wear at the Cannes film festival in 1950. The two leads have much to lose if they fail to recover the stolen jewels. Insurance Investigator Jerome Curtis is off balance when he meets cool and tough jewelry designer and CEO of her company, Anya Thorne. They race around from Cannes to Paris to New York City, chasing leads and getting to know each other.

The two authors switch PoV between the two characters, so that we can learn a little of their histories, so we learn about Anya's relationship with her somewhat mercurial father and founder of the jewelry company, and we also learn a little about Jerome's activities immediately following the war.

I was not particularly enamoured by Jerome's constant pointing out Anya's "alabaster" skin or icy beauty. This got old really fast. I am so tired of hearing how having alabaster skin automatically makes someone seem so beautiful.
Also, this book doesn't have the snappy pace both Stewart or Whitney were great at writing, even though the plot still moves reasonably well. I say this because though this was a pretty short book, it took me much longer to get through it than I expected.
So, this this was diverting, but not as much as I had hoped.

Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for this ARC in exchange for a review.
This is a light quick read- it's a novella not a novel- that might remind you, like me, of romantic caper films.  Set in 195os France, the plot involves the investigation of a jewelry heist and the young woman whose jewels have been swiped.  There isn't much character development and it's not especially complex.  It's very much a trifle, Thanks t0 Netgalley for the ARC,
Thank you NetGalley, M.J. Rose and C.W. Gortner and Blue Box Press for the ARC of The Steal. This is my personal review.
This book was such a fun read for me. The 1950’s vibe was a great break for me from all the other books I have been reading. I enjoyed the mystery and the interaction of everyone.
I like watching James Bond- Kojak- To Catch a Thief type of shows and this  book was for me just like this type of show. Thank you, authors, for giving us this book- job well done.
The Steal is a short romantic caper with a 1950's feel.  I enjoyed it.  However, the ending is less than satisfying unless there's a Book #2 expected.
This was such a fun and exciting quick read! It’s different than what I normally read, but I really enjoyed it.

Meet Ania Thorne, a jewelry designer who is the head of her family’s jewelry company which also happens to be the top jewelry company in the world . When millions of dollars in jewelry is stolen, Jerome Curtis, an insurance investigator, is the man assigned to get them back. A cat and mouse game unfolds. Is the culprit the notorious jewelry thief known as the Leopard? Or is it someone else? It’s a race against time! Add in a little romance, blackmail, and adventure, and you’ve got quite the story!
This was an interesting read. It took a while for me to get invested with the characters but the mystery had me hooked pretty quickly. Once I got through the first few chapters, I did really enjoy the interaction between them, though. I saw another reviewer mention a sequel was coming and hopefully, they're right because if not, the ending is extremely unsatisfying.
Disappointing! Here are my issues:
1. The chapters alternate between the main male character, Jerome, a lower class insurance investigator, and the main female character, Ania, a wealthy jeweler. I could not tell them apart and kept getting thrown off when I realized the perspective had shifted.
2. The dated James Bond-like romance. Cheesy male fantasy: “The girl had an appetite, and I fit the menu.” Barf.
3. The fact that the whole plot is really just an exposition stretched out.

I did think the style fit the setting (1950s Cannes film festival), and I love a stylized world/setting, but mostly I was bored reading it.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you NetGalley for sending this arc for an honest review!

All imma say if u read this book and didn’t enjoy it. Means you didn’t understand the serotonin it was trying to give you. It was this 50s feelings crime investigation. MC trying to catch this thief that stole a valuable object with a hint of romance. It was spectacular, just like watching one of those old black and white movies with a hint of Nancy drew vibes.
This book reminded me of a black and white movie from the 1940’s.  Ania Thorne runs her family’s jewelry business, that gets robbed before the Cannes festival.  Jerome Curtis is the investigator from the insurance company trying to get the stolen jewels back from The Leopard, a jewel thief. They are thrown together to solve the mystery.
This is a quick, enjoyable read!  The sequel is coming out in January. I can’t wait to see if the catch The Leopard.!!
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for an ARC of this book. All opinions are my own.
Ania Thorne heads her family's jewelry company, and they're poised for a great showing at Cannes. That is, until her jewelry collection is stolen. Investigator Jerome Curtis suspects infamous jewel thief The Leopard and sets out to find the truth.

I liked the 1950s feel of the story - Ania's life of luxury was fun to follow. She and Jerome had some witty banter, but I didn't feel the sparks between them or connect with either of them. The mystery also wasn't very satisfying. Unfortunately, this one was a miss for me.

Thank you to BlueBox Press for providing an ARC on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Set in Cannes in 1957 as the international film festival starts, I thought this story quickly became a page turner. I had a feeling every detail I read was going to be important.
Two very different people are brought together by the worst of circumstances. With the POV switches, I thought it was easy to be invested in both the characters & the crime. Each are individually very good @ what they do, but they are better working together. The jewelry itself almost becomes a character as the twisty turny action unfolds.
So interesting to think about investigative work without modern technology like cell phones & security cameras. I’m definitely old enough to remember problem solving without iPhones, emails, & texts, but it seems almost impossible to do even mundane tasks now.
I really only have one complaint. I want more! Dare I hope a book about the trap or the bait will follow The Steal? I’d definitely read anything that has these characters working together & developing their relationship further.

Was happy to read an ARC through NetGalley & this is my honest review.
All I can say is I want more. It was stylish, clever, elegant, nostalgic and gripping, and had me from the first page.  I literally couldn’t put it down. It took me to a place and time that was both comforting and uncomfortable. I also have an uncontrollable urge to go watch Cary Grant in ‘To Catch a Thief’.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.  The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.