Cover Image: The Weekend Escape

The Weekend Escape

A group of friends from high school, who have drifted apart in the last ten years, get together for a weekend escape of climbing and adventure on a deserted island two miles off the coast. The weather forecast is bleak with a storm on the horizon. They abseil down a cliff where one of the girls falls and badly hurts her ankle. There is one other inhabitant on the island, a bird researcher, Marne, who spends some months of the year checking nests etc. The girls find the very basic accommodation less than pleasing and a few of them regret their decision to come. Then one of the girls goes missing.

We do get an insight into each of the girl's character and the descriptions of the landscape are vivid as the plot unfolds. Unfortunately the who and why is quite ludicrous and spoils what could have been an excellent read.
Wow what a terrific read.Picked it up to read a few pages could not put it down.So many twits and turns so tense.Will be recommending the book and the author.#netgalley #the weekendescape
I am so conflicted on this book right now! It started off a bit slow but built up speed and interest quick enough. The intrigue wasn’t in the characters really, to be honest none of them were likable. They were all supposed to be 6 best friends but they sounded like obnoxious high school girls who picked on eachother in an unfriendly manner. I quickly put together the guilty party and what was going on by halfway through but I was still pulled in by the writing. It was written well and didn’t drag through but just the substance of it wasn’t the best. I don’t mean for this to sound negative it was a good read that was engaging until the end. Just when I thought ok we made it we figured this out it ends like THAT. It left such a bitter taste in my mouth.

6 girls head out to the cliffs to reminisce the old days of when they would hang and climb together. The story opens up with Lyndsey in the hospital claiming all her friends are dead and the story begins on what really happened. From the start a lot goes wrong and people point fingers at eachother and secrets come to surface as they always do.

It was a well written intriguing read but it fell short in the ending for me as well as the characters connection. I do recommend for a quick read and especially if you’re new to the genre. 3.5 stars for me.

Thank you to Harper Collins for the arc in exchange for my honest review!
I love novels based on And then there were none, and this one was good. I saw the twist coming, but I liked the tension and the setting, I will be reading more books by this author for sure.
I could not put the Weekend Escape down and devoured it in one sitting,

I love novels that are set in a locked environment, like a castle or an island. It makes it all feel so much more creepy and dark!

The Weekend Escape is amazing and a must read
Lyndsey and her five friends head to isolated Shell Island for a weekend retreat filled with adventure and an opportunity to rekindle old friendships.  What they get instead is primitive conditions, perilous storms, and a series of accidents… or is there a murderer amongst them?

Rakie Bennett definitely has a way with words.  The setting for this “locked room” mystery was very well done; I could perfectly picture the desolate, dangerous landscape and vicious storms that provide the backdrop to this atmospheric thriller.  The characterization doesn’t quite live up to the same standard.  The six women and their friendships aren’t clearly fleshed out, with some characters’ voices feeling interchangeable and the relationships feeling shallow.  As an avid reader of this genre, I was able to guess the perp and their motivation fairly early on, but it was still a good read with some twists and red herrings thrown in.

All in all, “The Weekend Escape” is a solid debut effort, and I look forward to more books from this promising author.  Many thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins UK, One More Chapter, for providing me an advance copy of this book.
I really loved this novel ‘The weekend escape’ by Rakie Bennett, i’ve been so busy with work i finally managed to sit down and i consumed the whole book in a matter of hours, it was so hard to put down. Such good twists and turns, i love how each character was portrayed. It has a creepy atmosphere where the six friends have decided to stay but that is something which i love in books. It had the right amount of suspense, twists and turns but also the feeling of being on the edge of your seats. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend to fellow book readers. 5*
Definitely a must read! I started this with no expectations and found myself immediately taken in. I didn’t want to put it down. The varied characters and their individual life stories were all very intriguing. Rakie Bennett’s very effective use of descriptive writing techniques makes for a in a fast paced, bone chilling adventure. You won’t see the twists and turns coming.
4.5/5
Thank you to OneMoreChapter (HarperCollins), NetGalley and author, Rakie Bennett, for the opportunity to enjoy this ARC.
I’m anxious to read Bennett’s other books.
While the premise of this book was intriguing, I found it to be rather plodding and predictable. Things did pick up toward the end but I would have liked the loose threads tied up a bit better. Plus, the actual conclusion felt very abrupt. However, the excellent descriptions of the island and stormy weather were definite pluses. All in all, an uneven, easily solved mystery.

My copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thanks to the the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review it.
I loved this story. It was captivating and full of twists and turns. This is one of those books that surprise you. I loved the writing and the characters. A definite recommend
Six friends arrive at a deserted island for a reunion they think will be filled with catching up and adventure. But when it turns deadly, they begin to quickly turn on one another.

Rakie Bennett's The Weekend Escape is a fast paced thrill ride filled with unsympathetic characters (though the narrator Lyndsey is quite likable) and peril at every turn. The setting and atmosphere are well fleshed out and you'll feel like you're part of the storm as you read. I finished it in a couple days because I found it really hard to put down. Though the plot is a fairly standard "deadly secrets from the past and someone wants revenge," Bennett sets it up well so that you're left wondering who the true suspect is until the very end. I'll be on the lookout for more from this author for sure.

Special thanks to HarperCollins UK/One More Chapter and NetGalley for providing this ARC in exchange for a review.
A deserted island, a vicious storm, a murderer amongst friends… This alone sounds like the perfect read for autumn, right? The variety of characters was well done, the story didn't have too much filler content and flowed nicely. I enjoyed the mystery aspect of this book.
A classic scenario.  Evil is lurking when a group of old school friends are stranded on an island with an imposing storm, no wifi, a creepy warden and a disused lighthouse.  Spooky happenings and death.  No one feels safe and everyone is suspicious.
I enjoyed how each ladies secrets slowly unravelled and how this impacted on the others.
An enjoyable read.
3.5

Shell Island is the location for Lindsay and five friends to enjoy (or is that endure?) a weekend of outdoor pursuits as they used to do years ago. Abseiling from the old lighthouse and climbing are on Juliet’s tight schedule. What could possibly go wrong? Ladies and gents we have us a locked island mystery! The story is told principally from Lindsay’s perspective, the question is how reliable a narrator is she?

The setting is really good, the small island is a short boat ride offshore, there’s  a deserted lighthouse and a somewhat decrepit bunkhouse/bothy they’re booked into. Needless to say, we have the weather closing in despite it being late August, which adds to the atmosphere, as does the lack of means of communication when things go wrong. There’s a warden on the island whose strangeness adds to the building mystery and there’s a growing lack of trust between the group as things start to go wrong. The group dynamics is done well and this fluctuates as the tension grows. We all have the elements you expect in a mystery like this with accusations and fall outs as the danger escalates. There are twists and turns in the storytelling and suspense is elevated with a sense of claustrophobia and paranoia growing amongst them.  The characterisation of all the women on the island is done well. The conclusion is quite good and the overall ending has a sort of enigmatic nature to it,  leaving you with questions which I like.

However, the pace is a bit too slow for my liking but it does build towards the end. There’s a repetitive element to it as well especially about Lindsay’s precarious financial situation and the fact that some of the team have become strangers over the last few years. This kind of book follows a predictable formula of a tragedy, secrets and lies and so on so there’s a similarity to books of this genre. I do figure out the perpetrator pretty early on because it just had to be.

Overall, it’s an entertaining easy read in a good setting.

With thanks to NetGalley and especially to HarperCollins UK / One More Chapter for the much appreciated arc in return for an honest review
Great thriller with tons of twists. Kept me guessing until the end. Thanks to publisher and NetGalley for this read!
A deserted island, 6 friends, and a weekend escape … sounds like a recipe for disaster, doesn’t it?!

Lyndsey, Amanda, Val, Juliet, Sonia and Bobbie are six high school girls whose friendship was cemented in their love of adventure. They’ve planned a remote getaway to rekindle their friendship and spend time together doing the things they used to love. Before even unpacking and settling in, the girls head to the lighthouse to rappel and reignite the sense of adventure that drew them together as friends. Things start to go awry immediately and then ramp up quickly as the girls realize their accommodations aren’t as promised. Buried teenage angst and long forgotten petty insinuations start to rise to the surface and, fueled by the present situation, ignite as desperation grows. Before long, it’s a fight for survival instead of a relaxing escape! Is there someone else on the island?

It’s often said that setting is the backbone of a good mystery and Bennett has made sure to foster the right atmosphere so that it plays a significant role in her plot. Based on a little island off the coast of her Isle of Man home, Shell Island is a deserted island a couple of miles off the coast of northwest England. The Irish Sea is foreboding and the mists that develop here add to the spooky setting. With a storm brewing, the island provides little protection from the power of nature. Bennett’s vivid descriptions allow readers to immediately place themselves in the action.

Bennet has written a tight thriller with perfect pacing; she knows just when to release more information about the girls' past relationship to keep readers propelled forward. The star of the novel is the opening! It jolts the reader into paying attention and to asking further questions. Although I was able to solve the mystery early on, I needed to keep reading until Bennet provided me with clues to determine why. I felt like I was on a whodunnit obstacle course because of the unreliable narration and because Bennett is a master at misdirection.

Publishes October 8, 2021.

I was gifted this advance copy by Rachel Bennet,  Harper Collins UK, One More Chapter and NetGalley and was under no obligation to provide a review.
Thanks Netgalley for allowing me to read this book.  Friends go on vacation together to celebrate their friendship. When one of them dies, everyone is a suspect. This book kept me guessing.
The Weekend Escape was a quick read and a pleasant surprise.

In the tradition of Agatha Christie, six women go to a deserted island for a friends' reunion.  But one by one, they are injured (or worse), in what at first appear to be accidents. But as our narrator, Lyndsay begins to investigate, it's looking less and less accidental, and more intentional.

The only other person on the island is the bird warden, who much prefers her privacy to that of her troublesome guests. And what motivation would she have to cause harm? That only leaves one of them as the perpetrator.... unless.... they aren't the only ones there.

And can we just talk about the descriptions of the island and weather? Bennett completely captures the cold, wet, dangerously rocky and cliffy landscape so well, that even in 78-degree weather I wanted to get out my cozy winter blanket and fluffy socks and curl up with a hot tea!

Thanks to NetGalley and One More Chapter for this great debut novel!
Six friends who were part of a climbing group at school decide to get together after 10 years a part. When the 7th member tragically died the other members drifted apart. The six arrive to the desolate island of Shell Island and as soon as they get there, things start to fall apart. They decide to abseil down from the roof of the lighthouse and one of the girls fall. When they check the ropes. They see that one of them have been cut. As they try and call for help, they realise that their phones don’t work. Which causes tension between them. So, when they contact the warden on the island to see if she has a radio to call or help. Only to find out that it’s broken and what makes matters worse is there is a bad storm closing in on the girls and there is no way off the island.
Thank you Harper Collins One more chapter for a copy of The Weekend escape by Rakie Bennet. The story draws you in the very first page and is very entertaining read. It has great well-developed characters and premise. I kind of guessed who was behind it all two thirds into the book but that didn’t spoil my enjoyment. 5 stars from me.
This book will have you in its grip from the first chapter and won’t let you go. Lots of twists will keep you guessing until the end and beyond. A group of friends go away on a climbing weekend to an uninhabited island.  Unexplainable events start happening shortly after they arrive which leave you wondering who is responsible.  The characters are great although a little more background on each of them would have been nice. The author did a good job of describing the location as I could hear the wind whistling through the cracks and I could imagine the cold and the dampness. The story is told through the eyes of one character and the storyline is similar to the “ locked room” storyline.  This book is one you won’t want to put down. It is action packed and evolves quickly and smoothly from one chapter to the next.

I thank One Moe Chapter and NetGalley for the invitation to read this ARC.