Cover Image: You'll Be the Death of Me

You'll Be the Death of Me

Absolutely unputdownable! Another McManus winner. Twists and surprises to keep you guessing and enough shadows cast to make you keep doubting. The position these characters are thrust into does not seem too contrived and the situations actually are believable. Kudos to McManus for creating another teen murder mystery that rings true and doesn’t make my eyes roll.
4.75, rounded up. Great murder mystery! It is fast-paced & you become invested enough in the characters that you are worried when things go wrong. There were only a few details that didn’t seem plausible. Nice wrap-up & twists throughout!
"We're going scorched earth."

Oh my goodness, what a ride! I loved the multiple perspectives, the slow unraveling, the overlapping histories; who am I kidding? I loved the whole thing! I'm excited to see if this turns into a series, but even if it doesn't, this book was *chef's kiss*.
Another good who done it suspense story.  This one involves 3 Seniors who had been friends but grown away from each other.  They have secrets they are still hiding from one another and now have to solve the murder of one of their classmates.  Drugs, inappropriate teacher-student relations, sibling rivalry all play apart in the suspense.  Good quick read.
Karen McManus does it again! When a trio of high school friends try to recreate their best day ever, they fail epically. Before their day of playing hooky is over one of them will be accused of murder and the other two will find out secrets that will change their lives forever. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to be an early reader in exchange for my review.
Karen McManus does it again. Her YA thrillers have such good twists and turns and are unputdownable. It's no surprise that her latest/upcoming, YOU'LL BE THE DEATH OF ME, does the same. Also love the cover! I know this one will fly off my library shelves in our teen room.
You'll be the death of me has to be one of my favorite suspense novels!

I was provided a digital copy of this novel by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This novel, like the authors others, contains a plot driven by characters and settings, that keeps you hooked from page one all the way past the end.

I loved this book because the characters felt real. They had their struggles and their good things. They had flaws, and those flaws led to pain, but also to positive occurences.

The plot moved at the perfect pace and it constantly threw you clues so you felt like you were apart of the book, fighting to find the guilty party. The writing was consistent and stable, helping the readers through the novel.

I highly recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys a good mystery, and I look forward to the possible second novel!
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off takes a deadly turn in You’ll Be The Death of Me.
⚠️
Ivy, Mateo and Cal used to be best friends after they snuck out of a field trip in middle school in Boston, but drifted apart when they got to high school. Senior year when they run into each other in the parking lot before school each has their own reasons for wanting to ditch. Trying to recreate their Best Day Ever, they head back to Boston…only to discover a dead body of one of their classmates. Suddenly everyone’s secrets have something to do with the murder. With so many twists and turns, the group begins to wonder if they didn’t get paired together by chance.
⚠️
In case you weren’t aware, Karen M. McManus is the YA murder mystery QUEEN! Any time her books come out they never stay on the shelf in my library. This novel had me hanging on every word, each chapter was a cliffhanger and I finished it in one sitting! Obsessed is putting it mildly. This title releases November 30. Add it to your preorder list NOW!
YA thriller with the twists and turns of an adult thriller. Surprisingly serious subject matter - opioid use. Entertaining but more predictable than her earlier titles.
Another exciting teen thriller from Karen McManus.  Three teens who used to be close rediscover each other on what turns out to be the Worst Day Ever.  In McManus signature style, nobody is exactly what they seem, and everything you think you know comes into question.  Plenty of plot twists and a gripping style with a little romance tossed in casually.  If I have a single complaint it would be that a lot of the plot rests on teens showing poor judgement and making poor decisions but maybe that represents the reality of what these kids would do in these situations!
Ferris Bueller's Day Off with a murder mystery twist. Ivy, Cal, and Mateo were once best friends. But they haven't really spoken to each other in a long time. They meet up before school and for individual reasons, they decide to skip school together. They want to reconnect and have the best day ever, just like old times. But then they witness another student at their school who also skipped get murdered, their day gets infinitely worse. Especially when they realize they all have a connection to the murdered student. And all three of them are keeping secrets. A twisty, dark, sometimes funny adventure novel wrapped up in a mystery, this book is the first in a series that will be sure to keep you reading-and guessing.
Another great book from Karen McManus.  Another three high school students who use to be close decided to skip school and spend the day in Boston for a great day turns out to be the worse day when they follow a fellow student of there’s and ends up finding him dead and all the questions start. When you think you know something Karen adds a another twist to it. Another five star reading
Well guys. Karen McManus has DONE. IT. AGAIN. finished this one in less than 24 hours. You’ll Be The Death of Me has all of the appeal, mystery and tension of the first 4 books shes written, but this is the first book of hers that actually made me tear up at one point. Mateos mom. Just. She got to me at the end there yall. As a mom, the stuff she said Hit me super hard.
I love the friendships in her books. They make me miss high school, which is SUPER HARD to do.
Let’s just say, It was a whirlwind of a ride, everytime I thought I had it figured out I was wrong. Karen kept me guessing, and then left me hanging a bit also.
I need more of this crew guys. Please give me a second book Karen! NOWWWW. Before I go SCORCHED EARTH
I received an ARC of this from NetGalley - and there is only one thing wrong with that - now I am done with the book.. what do I have to look forward to?? After the resounding, deserved, success of One of Us Is Lying, McManus has amassed a following, eagerly awaiting her next book. Thankfully, McManus is prolific enough that we never have to wait too long (although it feels like an eternity). You'll Be the Death of Me is classic McManus - a murder mystery with the perfect pace, teens with the perfect mix of flaws and root-for-me personalities. Overall, this book is the perfect YA murder mystery  - the right blend of humor - dare I say, romance - and suspense. No doubt about it, if you loved OOUIL like I did, you will love this book, too. McManus, is it too much to hope for more from the Carleton crew? xo
Karen McManus literally can't miss and her latest mystery about three former friends who discover the dead body of the class clown is full of suspense, unexpected twists, and McManus' trademark pacing. You never know where she's going, and to tackle the opioid crisis, student/teacher relationships, and the pipeline to prison complex is no mean feat.
So, I've become slightly obsessed with Karen McManus? I know, I didn't see this coming either, but "You'll Be the Death of Me" is a perfect example of why. It's well plotted, lightly funny, suspenseful without being anxiety inducing, and, overall, a story that feels current and relevant.
When three friends reunite after years of drifting apart, they find themselves at the wrong place at the wrong time and become closely involved in the murder of their classmate. McManus does it again with this thriller that will grip readers from the first chapter. The mature language and thrilling tone will keep teenagers interested, and this mystery with diverse characters will appeal to a variety of readers.
Seniors Cal, Ivy, and Mateo all used to be friends in middle school, but now, life has thrown them in different directions.  When they all run into each other in the school parking l0t, they on a whim decide to skip school and drive into the city for an adventure like old times.  Once they get there however, they end up at the wrong place at the wrong time and witness the murder of classmate.  As the day unfolds, it turns out each of them is hiding a secret that could spell trouble.

Once again, McManus shows that she is the master of YA mystery thrillers.  While this book is a little different than her previous, it was still very engaging with all her signature twists and turns.  It was fun to see all the secrets being revealed, and to see what everyone's true motives are.  This was definitely a darker thriller than her other books, but this is surely to delight fans and new readers alike.  I will continue to recommend her books, though I think some of the subject matters are a bit mature for younger teens.
I loved this book.  One of the best thrillers I read all year.  Fast paced and well written, I was engrossed from the beginning.
Another great YA mystery/thriller from McManus. The characters are well written and this book will surely be a hit with the YA audiences that love McManus’s books.