Cover Image: All That’s Left in the World

All That’s Left in the World

I got this off of Netgalley, these opinions are my own. This book combined two of my favorite genres, Dystopian and LGBTQ+! I have read so many different Dystopian books and I was so excited to finally read one with LGBTQ+ protagonists! Erik J. Brown wrote such a beautiful love store, highlighting that even in the darkest of times love can be found! I’ve always kind of thought that it would be interesting to read about a character who falls in love with a person and their love is not so focused on gender! Like the fall in love with a person because of who they are and it doesn’t matter that they are the same gender and with this book I finally got that! And both of these protagonists are so relatable! Andrew really clicks for me because sarcasm is my bread and butter and I just love how strong and loyal Jamie is! It’s interesting to read this book after COVID it helps put into perspective how really this could all be or have been! I’ve always figured if we had a really Dystopian society it would be after electricity stoped working… after COVID it created new meaning to what it would be like if the world fell apart, it was interesting read a tale on how society would put itself back together and what that would very realistically look like! I absolutely loved this book and cannot wait for it to come out to read it again!
The biggest of thank yous to NetGalley and HarperCollins Children's Books for this ARC!

Holy shit, guys. This was SUCH a wild ride, and I loved every minute of it.

A new kind of plague overtakes the earth, killing more than 2 BILLION people. This isn't just a plague, this is damn near extermination. Andrew, injured, stumbles upon Jamie's shelter when he really has nothing left to lose. Jamie takes him in, nurses him back to health, and they form a friendship. When their previously safe shelter is abruptly threatened, they flee south in search of civilization. It's an INTENSE and wild trek, but as long as they have each other, things will be okay, won't they? New feelings develop and their lives are threatened more than once- but they face it all, together.

I want to shout at the top of my lungs about how much I enjoyed this. I tend to shy away from apocalypse, end of the world stories but I knew I wasn't about to pass up a queer one and I am SO glad I didn't. I was hooked pretty much right away, and I might have stayed up until four am because I had to know what was going to happen next.

The characters felt like real people I know, and man, I didn't expect to laugh in a story like this, but it was FUNNY. The pop culture references were spot on, and I full-body laughed THRICE within the first 10% of the book.  I got scared when they were scared, and I felt everything right along with Andrew and Jamie. I also very much enjoyed the lack of gay panic when feelings started to develop between the two of them. It was super refreshing to read!

The book definitely had some dark spots (I mean, the world is literally dying out) but they were very well done and kept me on the edge of my SEAT. It gets emotional, and you really see these two humans just connect and grow together and be there for each other through terrible things and it's just lovely all around.

Please pre-order this and read it as soon as you can get your hands on it.  It's fantastic.
Sure I love it so far it’s like there’s a pandemic (kinda like COVID it does actually mention COVID in the book) so there’s this bug going around and it wiped out half of the population and it’s like the end of the world there’s no electricity things like that and then these two boys meet each other (it’s LGBTQ Romance 😩) and it’s also so funny I love it
Holy crap, i loved this.

I loved this way more than i expected. I read the summary of this, and was intrigued. I hadn’t ever read, or even heard of a queer post apocalyptic story and was excited to see how it would play out, and it was wonderful.

The mix of comedy and drama balances perfectly. There are few books where i am often, actually ‘laughing out loud’ but this managed to put me into uncontrollable fits of laughter several times. And when the more serious scenes happen, THEY HIT HARD. I was on the edge of my seat screaming at my book, more often than I’d like to admit.

There’s lots of pop culture references and usually when this happens in books i find it annoying. But in this case is makes sense and i think it was executed perfectly. If you’re stuck in a world without any media, no internet, and only the few books you own. Then yeah, you’re gonna reminisce on all of the pop culture you miss. It’s done in such a perfect way, mixing nostalgia and comedy that i can’t help but love it.

The romance is amazing. You see from the first time these two characters meet, that they care for each other deeply. And it’s shown throughout the novel in every action they do. You can clearly see the intention and why they would do that. Before it’s stated you know the love these characters have for each other.

Instead of writing 10 more paragraphs, i will make a quick bulleted list of some of the amazing things in this book.

• dialogue
• action sequences
• comedy
• amazing romance
• realistic characters
• friends to lovers
and more, please read this when it comes out. Definitely one of my new favorites
I have admittedly been on a queer fiction kick lately. The Extraordinaries and They Both Die at the End preceded my inhaling of this book. And though most of the books involve characters that are very confident in their identities, I really admired that this book was centered around an openly gay kid and a straight kid who ultimately ended up questioning his own identity, even if some of the romantic feelings may have sparked from proximity.

I am a huge fan of all things apocalyptic, and this was no exception. The theme of a rogue virus threatening humanity hit a bit close to home after the craziness that was 2020, but I truly did appreciate the anecdotes about the United States going rogue and allowing the virus to ravage while the EU eradicated through calculated methods. The dead bodies in the streets, the rogue zoo animals clearing the roads, the litter and the signs indicating that there was food or a running car - is it strange to call such things charming? I'd say perhaps they are more realistic than anything - and I truly appreciated Jamie's ability to see the good in humanity, even without reason.

Now let's talk about the characters. We have Andrew and Jamie, and though they sometimes hide things from each other, their relationship is the center of the book and they are so darn cute together. I would want to be best friends with both of them, even if only to hear Miss Congeniality narrated. I really adored Cara - is there a bit of a transgender spinoff there with the "him"? I would have loved for that to have maybe come out a bit more. And then there is the side quest that encompasses much of the second half of the book - bringing the message to Henri's daughter that she is alive and thriving. The scene with the tool broke me. I would absolutely devour a spinoff book of Henri and family reuniting - please, for the love of all that is holy to the Fort, write this. That was probably the only thing I wasn't sold on by the end - I just wanted one small happy reunion story within the chaos.

Ultimately, I loved this book. I think it will do excellently once published and am happy to review on my social closer to time. As someone who also freelances for a few local newspapers, I'd love to feature a blurb in the columns. I'd say for many young adults the themes are quite heavy (you know, the shooting, the corpses, not to mention the white supremacists and America's end) but for an older teen/young adult crowd, I'd highly recommend.