Cover Image: Unmissing

Unmissing

This book is a twisty and suspenseful, told in chapters alternating between the two wives perspectives.  The first wife appears after being missing and being declared dead on the second wife's doorsteps.   the first part of the book seems like three people who need to communicate and figure out what to do, so was slowly setting us up for a series of twists and for a no one is who they appear to be plot.  And a satisfying ending
I see I’m in the minority here but I found the book completely implausible. And the internal monologue of Merritt from the beginning of the book to the end is a 180% as we’re  led to believe one thing from her inner thoughts and then the complete opposite.
Riveting

I loved this book!  I was on the edge of my seat throughout the entire book wondering who was hiding what because everyone seems to have a secret.  The characters are believable, the plot well written, and the suspense begins on page 1.  This novel is definitely worth reading!  I received an advanced copy and this is my honest and voluntary review.
One thing I particularly enjoyed about Unmissing was the timing. Just when you think you're starting to figure things out, WHAM! A curveball and you're sent reeling. The characters were memorable and well developed. A fast read simply because it was hard to put down.
Unmissing was a very good short read. Minka Kent is an author that I discovered when she wrote "When I was you". I loved that book and absolutely loved this one. This story had the right amount of mystery and thrill. Definitely had a twist at the end that I did not expect.
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC.
Excellent story! Totally engrossing!.  Looking forward to reading more by this author! Could not put this down!
I am a big fan of Minka Kent so I had high expectations going in to Unmissing. All I can say is WOW!! This book is full of mysterious characters, an intense storyline, and a shocking ending that readers won’t see coming. I finished this book a few days ago and can’t stop thinking about it!! I will be telling everyone I know to go out and buy it!!
I have read every single book by this author and she hasn't written a bad book yet. This book is no exception it is what I would call the perfect thriller. Really from the very first page I was hooked!!! Lydia is kidnapped and is pronounced dead. She gets away from her abductor after nine years and goes and visits her husband who now has a different life with a family. Is Lydia going to steal her husband back or is there something so much more sinister going on? OMG the suspense in this book keeps you on your toes! Absolutely one of my favorite books I have read in awhile . Such a great storyline ! I would give 10 stars if I could. Read this book!!! You will be just as captivated as I was throughout the whole book . Read in 2 days! Highly recommend this book and any book Minka Kent has written. One of my favorite authors. LOVED!!!!!!
Thanks NetGalley and the publisher for my copy of the unmissing. Well what a page turner!!!  And the twists just kept coming. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it to those that love mystery and thrillers!!
I absolutely loved this psychological thriller. There were so many twists and turns that it kept me hooked and I had to know, not only Lydia’s fate, but the fate of the other characters. I really enjoyed that this novel alternated between Lydia and Merritt’s POV. 5⭐️ for sure!

Thank you @netgalley, #ThomasandMercer ,and #MinkaKent for an advanced copy of this novel in return for an honest review.
A disheveled looking woman shows up at your door late one evening, claiming to be your husband's wife who disappeared and was designated as dead nine years ago. What do you do? Thus begins this story of lies, deceit and murder.

As a fan of Minka Kent's books, I was excited to receive an ARC from NetGalley of this, her newest book soon to be published. (Publication date 2/15/22) The premise was intriguing, but just didn't hold the suspense that I was expecting. For me, the surprise reveals seemed to come out at odd points in the layout of the chapters which didn't provide those "gotcha" moments. And, some of the characters personality traits were too incongruous to their actions and words. I was left with a lot of questions and feelings of disbelief at times.

However, this was a quick read with a crazy twist or two that kept me guessing and should appeal to most mystery and suspense enthusiasts. I look forward to reading more books by this author in the future.

Thank you to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for providing me with the opportunity to read an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This is quite an unusual tale where the wife of a newly married couple suddenly disappears one day while out hiking. Almost 10 years pass and the husband Luca has re-married Merritt. Together they have made a life together and set up several successful restaurants.
One day Merritt opens her front door to find that Luca’s former wife has suddenly turned up claiming to have been raped, tortured and imprisoned all these years by a monster.
A novel plot that kept me glued to the book to the very end.
Merritt and Luca are wealthy restauranteurs with a darling toddler and a second baby on the way when, wouldn't you know, it all comes crashing down.  Luca's first wife, Lydia, was presumed dead after disappearing ten years ago on a hike.  So how is she now on their doorstep?  It turns out, she was kidnapped and held captive all of this time and was finally able to escape and make her way home.  Only to find his new wife and family now in her place.  So the question becomes what do they all do now?

It's certainly a very uncomfortable situation for everyone involved - Luca is shell-shocked, Merritt is sympathetic, yet protective of her family, and Lydia is determined not to be turned away.  For the time being, she is taken in by a lovely woman named Delphine, a character I really enjoyed.  Her crystals and incense lifestyle is quite a calming influence on Lydia as she tries to figure things out.  Luca and Merritt seem pretty two-dimensional as the stereotypical affluent couple, but if you know anything about this author's books, you know that not everything is what it seems.

That's what makes her stories so enjoyable - other authors would make this a straightforward plot, building on how all of the characters adjust to the changes in their lives.  But not this author.  She knows how to keep the readers on their toes, and casually tosses in major twists when you least see them coming.  I love that - there's no big build-up with a huge revealing cliffhanger on the end of the chapter - the story doesn't need that and it makes any surprises that much more unexpected and enjoyable. See for yourself, this is a story you won't want to miss!
This book was okay. It was good but it wasn't great.
Reading The Stillwater Girls really spoiled me for Minka's newer work and I think that since I loved that story so much, it was hard to compare to.

Other than that, the story pacing is quick and to the point, not a lot of lull moments, and great development all the way through. Definitely excited to check out some of this author's other work.
I really tried with this book, but I found both leads unlikeable.  As a result, I could not finish.  I liked the premise, but I cringed a lot in the beginning.  Maybe some background on everyone at the beginning would be helpful
DON'T get COMFORTABLE!
DING, DING, DING! So many Alarm Bells so don't get comfortable because this story demands your attention and keeps you alert and on your toes.
A brilliantly written intense story that instantly pulled me in and kept me on edge holding my breath and feeling the unsettling jitters that stuck with me throughout every insane word. A Mind blowing twist that shocked the heck out of me and practically slammed me on my butt even though I was already sitting down. My mind refusing to accept the cruel shocking words yet hungry with a twisted desire for more of the unknown and timid as a mouse not wanting the answers my fragile heart and mind desperately needed. WOW! Just Wow. I'm trying to compute it all but having a hard time digesting the insanity of it all. It's messed up and Sooo Twisted with a continuous supply of emotions that goes from content to heart wrenching to pure disgust. my head is shaking my nerves where frazzled and so glad when the ending finally let me breathe and finally feel at peace. A well deserved five stars and more.
The book starts a bit slow. I was frustrated by how judgmental the characters seemed, especially Lydia. I kept waiting for something exciting to happen, for the plot to pick up and eventually it did so in the 2nd half. At about 60% of the novel, we see the first big reveal. At the time, I thought it was too soon. I thought that I knew where the plot would go from that point. It was stupefying. How could the big reveal have come so soon? But I wish I'd known how wrong I was. From that point, it was just one big reveal after another. It was like a can of worms that kept spilling.

This is quick and fun read. This is my second Minka Kent read. After reading 'The Watcher Girl', I was excited when I saw that another book was up for grabs on Netgalley. What I like about Minka Kent's work is that it surprises me. Her stories are unique. They are quick & fun to read and keep readers on their toes, surprising them. I love her ideas and I would love to read more.

I am grateful to Netgalley and Thomas & Mercer for an ARC. Looking forward to read more!

#NetGalley #Unmissing
Unmissing by Minka Kent a thrilling five-star read. This had me guessing and wondering all the way, the narration and way the story unfolds was so well done. I don’t want to tell you anything about the story, as its such a great unfurling of the story as you read, I don’t want to reveal anything as I would hate to spoil anything. This is such a great story, and I am so excited for more from this author, I have read them before, but cant wait for more.
Excellent book by Minka Kent.   I have read several books by Minka Kent and while I don't think this one is her best I still think it's head over heels over most psychological thrillers.

Husband and Wife#2 are living their lives when out of the blue Wife#1 appears on their doorstep at night after being missing/presumed dead for nine years.   Then you get a fun read of everything that follows.

I had a hard time not giving the book five stars.   What made me pick four was IMO the plot was very simple and formulistic.   You had the plot twist I was waiting for right around the 55% mark and another another one right at 80%.   Although I still highly recommend this book just because I think Minka Kent is a fantastic author.  She is brilliant at pacing and the dialogue is fantastic and suspenseful.   I love when you advance major plot points just on dialogue alone which is what she did several times in this book.

So in short, while not as good as some of her other books it's still above average and recommended.
3 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Merritt and Luca are living the dream.  They own multiple restaurants, live in a beautiful home, and have a growing family.  Unfortunately their dream is shattered when Luca’s first wife, Lydia—missing for 10 years and presumed dead-- comes knocking on the door.  She has quite the story about the torture she endured over the years, and it’s clear she wants something from Merritt and Luca… and she won’t leave until she gets it.

This book alternates between the perspectives of Luca’s two wives, Merritt and Lydia.  There is a big twist and just when you think it’s resolved, the author throws another one at you.  The twists aren’t too shocking as I kind of predicted them, but entertaining nonetheless.  I actually wanted the book to end a chapter earlier, which would have completely changed the ending.

Overall I enjoyed this book and would check out the author again!

Thank you to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this ARC in exchange for an honest opinion.