Cover Image: First Girl to Die (Detective Morgan Brookes Book 4)

First Girl to Die (Detective Morgan Brookes Book 4)

I loved this. This is the 4 book in the detective Morgan Bookes series and I have loved every single one .
This book was fast paced and gripping with twists . It was a good thought out storyline with lots of thrills and anticipation that had me wanting more
This is the fourth book in the series featuring Detective Morgan Brookes.  Morgan and DS Ben Matthews are called out to a local primary school where a teacher has apparently committed suicide by throwing herself out of a window.  Morgan is upset to find that it is Brittany, an old school friend who she hasn’t seen for years since these tragic death of Brad, her high school boyfriend, broke up the group of friends.  On investigation Morgan begins to doubt that it was suicide as it was claimed that Brittany’s  behaviour had been very erratic prior to her death.  When the toxicology report comes back it appears that Brittany had some poisonous herbs in her blood system.  Soon after another one of the friends in Morgan’s group is found in nearby caves, naked and it seems that she also has the same herbs in her system which seem to have been supplied by Morgan’s Aunt Ettie. What is the motive or are the deaths linked to the day Brad fell to his death.  The story goes back to the events of 2016 and all the painful memories and who could possibly be targeting Morgan’s friends and is her own life in danger.  This is another gripping story in the series, full of suspense and drama with plenty of twists and turns before the identity of the killer is revealed.  I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book.
I'm really enjoying reading this series and was looking forward to reading this. This did not disappoint.
Another fine story in this series. More personal for our rookie detective but full of twists and turns. A good read.
I love this series. It’s packed full of incredible characters whose personalities just draw you in. It’s one of my favourite crime fighting teams. Although I’m still not sure how I feel about Ben and Morgan’s will they won't they thing they have going on.

I love Helen Phifer's writing style and the short easy to read chapters full of twists and turns kept me hooked. I had no idea who it was and although the story isn’t particularly fast paced I still couldn’t put it down. As always I look forward to more from this series.

I received a copy of the ebook via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
Detective Morgan Brookes is called to assist prevent the suicide of her childhood friend but Brittany's behaviour is erratic and Morgan is not able to save her. The other former friends begin to act strangely too, possibly as a result of poison, and Morgan realises their lives are all in danger. Does the current situation relate to the death of a teenaged boy 5 years earlier...?
First Girl To Die is the fourth book by Helen Phifer to feature Morgan Brookes. I have reviewed all of the earlier books in the series: One Left Alive, The Killer's Girl and The Hiding Place.
Morgan's has personal involvement of the case and knowledge of the victims which increases the tension and emotion. She is also dealing with fallout from the previous books which involves her family and there are spoilers about her family members in this book.
Morgan's boss Ben, with whom there is a spark of attraction, causes her great anguish in this book as he suspects her aunt of accidentlally poisoning the women using herbal tea. Morgan jumps straight to Ettie's defence and finds herself increaslingly isolated within the police team.
The action is fast paced and there are plenty of victims despite Morgan's frantic attempts to save her former friends. The chapters are quite short to maintain the momentum. The book is written in the third person, mostly in the present day but interpersed with chapters from 2016 to show the connection with the past.
First Girl To Die had me completely hooked and I look forward to the next book in the series.
Another case for Detective Morgan Brooke’s
Morgan knows the girls who have been killed they was friends at school
Could Morgan be in danger
They will have to catch the killer before they strike again
Thanks NetGalley
First Girl to Die is the 4th book in the Morgan Brookes series. We first met Morgan as a rookie in book 1. Needless to say, she has come a long way since then. Her character development has been stellar and I enjoy her working style and relation with her team. Although there is a hint of a possible romance in the team, I like the fact that it has not been rushed. I love not knowing what will happen between the 2 detectives in future though at this point, the romance wouldn’t be a bad idea.

This is a personal case for Morgan. It begins with the suicide of a school teacher. Morgan is devasted to find that she knows the victim. Brittany was Morgan’s old school friend. Her suicide seems odd right from the start. She is described to have been acting erratic and mumbling about a baby right before she killed herself. If that is not twisted enough, Morgan’s aunt, Ettie, had supplied herbal tea to Brittany and the tea is found to contain a deadly herb. Right from the start, there are numerous questions. What really happened to Brittany? Is Ettie involved? Is someone targeting Morgan’s old friends? If so, what is the motive?

This was a fast-paced, entertaining read. I enjoyed the twists and the unconventional MO of the villain. It was hard to guess the villain(s) identity or motives. I also liked the background story which took us back to Morgan’s high school days and the day that seems to have set off the present crimes. Overall, this was quite a good, captivating read.
Thank you to Netgalley, the publishing house ad the author for the opportunity to read a complimentary copy of this book in return for a review based upon my honest opinion.

This is the fourth book in the Detective Morgan Brookes series.  It could easily be read as a standalone book, but the series is really good, so you may want to read them all.  In this book, Morgan is calledto the scene of a suicide, only to discover it is a highschool friend of hers, who was acting starneg before she lept to her death. Morgan is shaken to the core, especially when later the same day, she is called to the scene of a naked woman at the falls acting strangely and discovers the collapsed woman is another highschool friendf for the same inner circle.  When Morgans' aunt is taken in for questioning things get even more bizarre.  Is someone out to hurt Morgan's group of friends and is she in danger.  Fast paced and gripping.  Loved this book

This is one author that I always get excirted about, she writes great books, interesting characters and storylines, always something a little differenet to make them stand out. Detective Morgan Brookes is one of these great characters, I have enjoyed the ongoing storyline development of her and her coworkers and cannot wait to see where the future takes them.
Wonderful. Tense. Gripping. Suspenseful. This series just gets better with each book. This author is just amazing. Loved loved this wonderful book. Can't wait for her next.
First Girl to Die is the fourth book in the Det Morgan Brookes series and to say it didn’t disappoint is an understatement! Morgan is called to the local primary school as one of the teachers, an old school friend of Morgans has locked herself in the staff room threatening to jump out the window, but when she hears Morgan knock, she jumps. To makes matters worse when Morgan and DS Ben Matthews go to inform her father, he literally drops dead with shock from the news! When a second person that Morgan knows from old dies in suspicious circumstances having been found to be acting erratically in the lead up, all roads are leading to Morgan’s aunt who lives in the woods and her medicinal herb collection. This is a very personal case for Morgan on one hand trying to figure out what is going on to make her friends behave like they are and killing themselves and on the other hand defending her aunt. Another belter of a read with an eerie feel to it, it was a rollercoaster of a ride with several twists and turns along the way and some red herrings thrown in to throw you off the scent, loved it.
While this is part of a series, it is enjoyable as a stand alone crime mystery.

The characters are likable, fully defined.  The mystery of all the victims having a connection to Morgan is a thoughtful way to pull multiple plotlines into the main purpose of crime solving.

The growing romance between Morgan and Ben gives the reader a chance to take a breath between the adrenaline packed crime moments.
This is my first book from this author so I jumped into the middle of this series. I'm happy to say that this worked very well as a standalone and I'm thrilled I have three books I can read for more!

Morgan and her boss/partner Ben get called to school when one of the teachers is acting erratically. The situation ends tragically and the deceased connections to Morgan are an interesting part of the case. When additional victims turn up under suspicious circumstances, all known to Morgan, it seems that something connects all of the crimes.

I did enjoy reading this book. I was immediately interested in what was happening and as someone who also reads romance, I adored the interactions between Ben and Morgan. I liked having that intimate type of interaction that they sometimes engaged in as part of this story.

I found the story entertaining and the book engaging in spite of a bit of a slow pace. Every chapter had me wanting to know more -- either about what would happen next or more about what had happened in the past.

I would definitely read more books in this series.
Helen Phifer is an absolute genius, each book keeps getting better and better. This is quite possibly my new favourite in this series. I have loved this book from start to finish.

This is a series that really does seem to get better and better. I absolutely adore Morgan, she is an amazing character. It has been an absolute pleasure to revisit her in this book.

Phifer has definitely kept me guessing in this book. I have been completely unable to predict where this one was going and have found myself completely unwilling to put this down.

I have read most of Phifer’s books and can safely say that this is a strong favourite. This is an author that definitely needs to be on the TBR.

There is nothing negative I can say about this one. This moves at the perfect pace, has a unique plot and an ending that is completely impossible to predict.

This is a book that I absolutely recommend to everyone! I cannot wait for more in this series.
I absolutely loved this book. The little glimpses into Morgan's past and her connection to the murders happening now had me biting my nails with the tension. There was no way I could have put this book down before the very last page. I look forward to to the follow up.
You never know who to trust or what to believe or what can cause a person to loose it. This story was so sad and, on top of that, I’m really upset about a certain thing Ben did. I still hope for a HEA for Morgan and some peace in of mind.
When DC Morgan Brookes is called out to a primary school teacher who is threatening to throw herself off the roof of the school she realises that the woman is someone she knew in school. Then Morgan is drawn into a sad storyline of other school friends as they seem to die one by one. The family of Morgan also seems to be involved whether deliberately or accidently it is up to her to get to the truth.
This is the fourth book in the series by Helen Phifer and well worth a read.
This is the fourth Detective Morgan Brookes story and I continue to enjoy reading about the team and the crimes they solve. I want to say that I did not read these books in order and it was okay, but because of character development and relationships, I would recommend you do if you are able. Having said that, this book can easily be read as a standalone story. The story opens with a young man falling from rocks and being killed while his friends look on in 2016. Fast forward five years and Morgan is at a school where a teacher is threatening to jump from the staffroom windows. Morgan realizes that this was an old school friend, but she is unable to save her. When another of her school friends is found almost dead in a cave, she is worried that someone is trying to kill all of her group from school. One of the main suspects has ties to Morgan and she is pulled from the case. Can they find the person responsible for the deaths before someone else ends up dead?
I really enjoy the characters that make up the team, including the main CSI and coroner. Morgan is a great protagonist. She is so caring that she gets emotionally involved in her cases, which sometimes helps, but also puts her in danger. She has great instincts, which make her a great detective. It seems everyone on the team really like her and look out for her, whether she needs them to or not. Ben is her boss, but also her co-worker. They have feelings for one another, but have not acted upon them. He also has good instincts and a sixth sense where Morgan is concerned. The rest of the team, Amy, Des, Wendy, Declan, are all great characters as well and round out a great group of "coppers" as well as the secondary roles of CSI and Coroner. The mystery was well done. If someone ingests something to make them psychotic and they do something while in that state that gets them killed, is it murder? Who is giving them the poison? Does it have anything to do with that night five years ago? Morgan is like a dog with a bone when she is involved in a case and even when she is pulled off, she can't stop. Helen Phifer takes the readers on a merry chase trying to find out what is going on. I had a few ideas along the way, but changed my mind a few times. There are not a lot of suspects but lots of clues and red herrings. As the story began to wind down, I could clearly see (the same time as Morgan) who the culprit was, but it was almost too late. First Girl to Die was a gripping page turner that kept me reading once I started. It is a quick, engrossing, story that I enjoyed, and one that kept me guessing right until the end. I definitely recommend this one to those who enjoy crime thrillers.
You will have to excuse what is now going to be a complete gush fest over this book (sorry not sorry).

I love Detective Morgan Brookes and while this is a standalone story read from book 1 people as the whole series is just bloody fantastic. Morgan is yet again facing murders a little too close to home and feeling like she should change her name to Officer Death. This time it’s Brittany, an old friend from school who they didn’t quite get to in time before she threw herself out of a window at the primary school, where she worked as a teacher. To make matters worse when Morgan and her boss Ben went to inform Brittany’s father he dropped down dead from a heart attack.

Before you know it the bodies start multiplying and Morgan could give Jessica Fletcher a run for her money, as all the victims are well known to her and seem to be connected to an incident from years ago. With the victims all acting strange before their deaths it seems Morgan’s long lost Aunt and her herbal tea remedies could be to blame. It’s up to Morgan to prove her innocence but that could end up putting her in danger’s path AGAIN!

With the aunt’s pet Raven, her herbs and the police assuming guilt, the author cleverly made it into a witch hunt and with Halloween just around the corner it couldn’t have been more perfect. I agree with Amy what an absolute legend.

It was great to have all the regulars back including Declan the pathologist and with poisoning being suspected he finally gets the chance to really shine and have his own little Scooby Doo moment.

I really don’t want this series to end and I’m hoping that as Ben has messed up there is plenty more yet to come. I want them so badly to get together but I also dread the day they do in case it brings closure for both Morgan and the books.
Detective Morgan Brookes takes all of her cases seriously. However, her newest case really hits her hard. She discovers that a young teacher who apparently took her life is someone she once knew and had a fondness for. Could this latest victim be tied to Morgan's past?

Although estranged from her former friend, Brittany, Morgan cannot picture her being the sort to commit suicide. As the autopsy results begin to come through, Morgan finds her suspicions true. Foul play was involved. Traces of poison were found in Brittany's blood. Who poisoned Brittany and how did that lead to Brittany jumping from a window to her death?

When a second victim that has been found is also from Morgan's past, pieces of a puzzle slowly begin to fall into place. Morgan traces the poison found to an unlikely source. Not only must Morgan find the connection, she must sort out why women from her past are targeted. Will Morgan herself soon be a target? How far will she go to find answers all while keeping herself safe?

In this thrilling story, Morgan is forced to face an event of five years previously and the fact that the two women involved now were involved then. Something terrible happened before, and it was a night that Morgan was not present, so she always had questions about what occurred that fateful night. Why are things coming up now that lead back to that night?

Will there be yet another victim or will Morgan and her boss Ben be able to feverishly work toward solving the case set before them? Meanwhile, the torch is slowly burning between Morgan and Ben, and as this series continues, the pair just might have a chance. However, will Morgan end up being a victim before that could even happen?

This fast-paced book was a thrilling read from start to finish and ended with a conclusion I didn't see coming. While The First Girl to Die is the fourth book in this series, it could be read as a standalone. However, as this series has progressed, Morgan's character has grown, thus I would recommend reading this series in order. I cannot wait to see where things go with the next book in this exciting series.

Many thanks to Bookouture and to NetGalley for this ARC for review. This is my honest opinion.