Cover Image: Three Sisters

Three Sisters

Three Sisters by Heather Morris was another heartfelt, emotional moving account of what the Jews went through during world war 2. These sisters were close and a family that survived unspeakable conditions. HM is a great writer and has a gift when sharing WW11 details. This can be read as a stand-alone and is actually book 3 of a series. I’ve read all of them and highly recommend them. I chose to listen to this book on audio and loved Finty Williams as the narrator. This was 13 hours and 6 minutes.
Thanks Macmillan Audio via Netgalley.

#NetGalley #AudioBooks #ThreeSisters  #Ww2Books #HistoricalFiction
This is the third book in the Tattooist of Auschwitz Series but can be read as a stand-alone.

Three Sisters by Heather Morris is a beautifully written heartbreaking story based on true events.  Morris is an auto-buy author for me because I love WWII Fiction and she has a way of bringing life lessons to the forefront in such a positive way.

In Three Sisters, Morris shares the story of Cibi, Magda and Livia.  As families were being torn apart during WWII, these children promised their father that they would stay together, no matter what happened!!  Throughout the pages, we follow the three sister’s journey as they struggle to survive the horrors of the death camps and share their joy when they start a new beginning in Israel.  The three sisters stuck together, against all odds, just like they promised their father years before.

At the end of the book, Morris shares with us actual accounts from the sisters and their descendants which was done beautifully and truly makes you feel connected to each person in the book.

I listened to the audiobook, narrated by Finty Williams and she did a fantastic job and kept me captivated the entire time.

I recommend this to any historical fiction lover!!
I read the book and listened also to the Audio version.
The Narrator Finty Williams was perfect in how the book was read.
Having read the Tattooist of Auschwitz and Cilka’s journey I had great expectation for this story and wasn’t disappointed.
This is a true story about three sisters that survived their imprisonment in Auschwitz and later immigrated to Israel.   It is a heart breaking story that not only shows the strength of human endurance but also how often impulsive reaction overrides clear thinking.   This would result in a spontaneous action that could have had deadly consequences for themselves or other people.
The return to the family home didn’t exactly have the welcoming mat out.
One of the things I hadn’t realized up to the point of reading the book that it wasn’t an easy accomplishment to immigrate to Israel after the war.  Lots of politics between the various countries made it hard and not always successful.
Three Sisters is an incredibly moving and emotional story about Livi, Magda, and Cibi, a trio of Slovakian sisters who endure the hardships, heartbreak and cruelty that so many Jews faced during World War II. They make a promise to their father to always stay together and they try to uphold this promise through years spent in concentration camps at the hand of the Nazis. Based on a true story, it's a tale of triumph over evil, heroism, survival and courage. Historical fiction lovers will enjoy this latest book by Heather Morris. The Author's Note and Afterword Sections are must-reads!

I thoroughly enjoyed the narrator and her delivery.

Thank you to Macmillan Audio and NetGalley for this ARC.
This is the story of three  Slovakian  sisters and their experiences during WW2. Livia, Magda, and Cibi are the ultimate story of courage, loyalty and suffering. They sacrifice so much for one another. If you enjoyed reading the first 2 of the series by Heather Morris, this book will not disappoint. Morris is skilled at  writing the heartbreaking tales of those during the Holocaust.
**Huge thanks to NetGalley for the ARC
This was such a powerful story about the remarkable journey of three truly inspirational sisters.

I haven’t read very much historical fiction this year but I was so excited for this one after reading The Tattooist of Auschwitz and Cilka’s Journey and I always find myself especially moved by the genre. While extremely difficult to read at times, I find it incredibly insightful and humbling to learn about such horrific true events and stories and to learn of the courage these survivors exuded.

I applaud Heather Morris for finding such extraordinary stories and all of the work and research she was done to share them!

Notes:
- Make sure to stick around for the epilogue, Author’s note and the afterword.
- While listed as a ‘trilogy’, they are essentially standalones with overlapping minor characters. I do highly recommend reading them all though!

“𝗪𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝘆 𝗽𝘂𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝘀𝗲 𝗻𝘂𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗼 𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝘀𝗸𝗶𝗻, 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝘆 𝘀𝗲𝗮𝗹𝗲𝗱 𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗺𝗶𝘀𝗲. 𝗦𝗼𝗺𝗲𝗵𝗼𝘄, 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝘆 𝗴𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝘂𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗲𝗻𝗴𝘁𝗵 𝘁𝗼 𝗳𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗹𝗶𝘃𝗲𝘀.”
An emotional 5-star read!

I read the audiobook edition of this book and found myself captivated by the sister's journey--remarkably based on a true, impeccably researched story,

Three Sister's tells the story of three sisters, Cibi, Magda and Livi, who have vowed to protect one another -- a vow made with no foresight in to the horrific troubles that lay ahead as the sisters will enter Auschwitz death camp during WWII.

What I made this read impactful for me were the three perspectives of the Holocaust from before, during AND after. Seeing how lives were altered post-WWII was incredibly thought provoking for me.

The bond of sisters. The magic of hope. The endurance of survivors. Those are the themes that run through this story. A must-read.
I was so excited to receive the audiobook ARC for this novel!  I love Heather Morris's previous novels in this trilogy and was not disappointed with this one!  This book, Three Sisters, is also based on a true story.  It was wonderful reading the afterword telling all about the real people in the story.  Even though this book has many parts that are sad and hard to read, it is an uplifting story about these three sisters and how they supported and took care of one another throughout their lives.  I also liked the fact that it told about their lives after Auschwitz, which is something that Holocaust novels often leave out.  I loved the reference to the "tattooist".  It helped me remember his compassion and kindness in such horrible conditions.

The audiobook narrator, Finty Williams was also wonderful.  She was able to convey the emotion that the characters were going through.  She kept my interest through the entire novel.

Thank you to McMillian Audio, NetGalley and the author for an ARC of this audiobook.
Three Sisters

I feel somehow inappropriate saying I loved a book about the Holocaust. So, instead, I’ll say that I loved a book about resilience, strength, and the titanium strength of family ties.

As the eldest of three sisters, from a close Jewish family, and an avid historical fiction reader, I was really excited to see this book on offer at NetGalley. Having read the first book in the trilogy, I knew that the writing and storytelling wouldn’t disappoint but I WAS worried that the book might be too difficult, emotionally, to get through. And I was almost right. I had to stop the audio many times because I was overcome with grief and anger. Especially knowing that the novel is based on a true story.

The discussions about survivor’s guilt and the guilt of “not suffering as much as someone else” were handled beautifully and touched upon a subject that I don’t see discussed often.

I also really liked that the story didn’t end with the escape from the camps, nor  the eventual reunion with their hometown. Listening to the journey after, and then the sisters’ aliyah to Israel was almost better than their initial stories of survival. A happy ending is not the usual case in a story about the Holocaust - even survivor stories - so this was a welcome twist and pleasant departure.

Let me be clear… the story is horrific. The writing and the final message were superb.

The voice actor was magnificent and kept the words from sounding maudlin or overly sappy.

I loved the epilogues, and notes from the author and various members of the real life sisters’ families.

This is definitely a special book and I will work to find a way to incorporate it into my class in the future.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for the ALC in exchange for my honest opinions.
Three sisters are sent to Auschwitz. They promised their father earlier in life that they would always stay together. At the notorious death camp, they make another promise.....to stay alive.

This book was hard to read at times, but beautiful, too. The sisters stay strong in the face of extreme hardship, buoyed up by their love for each other. So although this story was rough on me emotionally (I kept thinking of the stories passed down to me of relatives that died in the concentration camps), I'm so glad I read it!

Three Sisters is the third book in the Tattooist of Auschwitz series. Every book has been outstanding!

I read part of this book in ebook ARC format....then listened to the audio book. Narrated by Finty Williams, the audio is just over 13 hours long. Williams does a great job of voice acting. Very moving audio performance!

Very thought provoking....emotional.....and beautiful! Glad I read/listened to this book!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St Martins Press (and Macmillan Audio). All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**
In my opinion, Heather Morris does it again!!  First thanks you NetGalley for this audio book.   I lovedThe Three Sisters by Heather Morris as much or more than I did The Tattooist of Auschwitz and Cilka's Journay.  Although it's the third in the series, there is not need to read the first two (although why wouldn't you).  The book is based on the true lives of three sisters, Cibi, Magda, and Livi.  It follows their lifes from the time that they make their father to always stay together to the end where they go to Israel.   Born in Slovakia before the war, this seemed like a promise that would be easy to keep.  It was not, although doing so probably saved their lives.  The war comes to their town and Jewish girls are being "rounded up" to be taken to work camps.  If you are familiar with this time period you know what work camps are like.  Livi is told to report for the camp, and when Livi finds out, she goes with her.  Magda is safe at this time in the hospital.  The story then goes to the camps and Auschwitz.  If you read the first two books there is a similar theme in what happens in the camps. There are references to the characters in the first two book, but I never found this book repetitive or boring.    This book does not end with the sisters fleeing the camp.  It goes on to the tell of the difficulties of getting on with life when everything is gone.  I loved this book and highly recommend it!!
Three Sisters was the third book by Heather Morris that I had the opportunity to read. It was not my favorite of her books but I appreciated that Heather Morris was able to share the sister’s story with her readers. These stories must continue to be handed down and talked about through future generations so that a Holocaust can never happen again. As in her two previous novels, Heather Morris was able to convey and portray through dialogue and acts the love, anguish, terror, regrets, bravery, courage, determination and resilience all three sisters experienced during the Nazi occupation and their time in Auschwitz/Birkenau. I listened to the audiobook that was brilliantly narrated by Finty Williams. She was able to give distinction between the various characters.

Cibi, Magda and Livia grew up in a loving home in Vranov, Slovakia. The three sisters lived with their mother, father and grandfather. All was well with the girls until the Nazis arrived. Their father asked all three of his daughters when they were still young girls to promise him that they would always stay together and look out for one another. The sisters never allowed themselves to forget that promise they made to their father. When the Nazis ordered Livia, the youngest of the three sisters, to report to the synagogue to work for the Germans, Cibi, the eldest of the three sisters, would not allow Livia to go by herself. It was ten years since the sisters made that promise to their father, but not one of them forgot about it. Cibi was 19 years old in 1942. She would not let Livia go by herself. Cibi insisted that she would accompany Livia and watch out for her. Neither sister could have ever imagined what the German’s intentions were on that fateful day.  It was Livia’s and Cibi’s fate that they were brought to Auschwitz by cattle car. Their middle sister, Magda would be spared that fate for now. Magda had been sick and was in the hospital recuperating when the Nazis were making their selections for deportation. For two years after Cibi and Livia were taken to Auschwitz, Magda remained at home but felt remorse and guilt that she was at home and her sisters had been taken away. In 1944, two years after Cibi and Livia had been taken to Auschwitz, Magda, her mother and grandfather were transported to Auschwitz as well. The sisters faced starvation. They were forced to perform strenuous and senseless hard labor each and every day no matter how hot or cold it was outside. The daily brutalities that the evil and hateful guards showed the prisoners were more than anyone should be made to endure. They saw death all around them each day. The sisters helped each other to survive.Then as the war started to go in favor of the Allies, the Nazis made the prisoners of Auschwitz/Birkenau go on a death march. The sisters were lucky enough to escape and hide in the forest for many days until they were finally rescued. When the three sisters made their way back to their childhood home they were disillusioned and disgusted to find someone else living in their home. They discovered that the attitudes of the Slovs toward Jews had not changed much since the end of the war. Even though the war was over and the sisters had suffered unmercifully in the camp, beyond anyone’s comprehension, anti Semitic feelings about the Jews were still present. Cibi, Magda and Livia decided that Israel would become their new home. Once in Israel, it was still hard to lose the memories of what they had endured in Auschwitz. All three sisters found it impossible to eradicate all that they had witnessed and lived through from their thoughts, dreams and daily lives. The ghosts of their past were always present along with some secrets. Could the sisters ever find that carefree and happy life they each sought?

Three Sisters by Heather Morris was inspired by real events. Cibi’s son contacted Heather Morris after reading The Tattooist of Auschwitz to ask her if she would tell her mother’s and aunt’s stories. Heather Morris interviewed and spent quality time with many members of the sister’s family and with each sister so that their story could be told in its entirety. Within the pages of Three Sisters, there were also references to Lale, Gita and Cilka. This powerful and insightful novel was the last in the trilogy. It was commendable that Heather Morris was able to relate all these stories in her three novels. Three Sisters was an exploration of courage, a reminder of how important family is and the continued efforts to keep a most important promise made so long ago.I highly recommend this book.

Thank you to Macmillan Audio for allowing me to listen this advanced audiobook through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. Three Sisters will be available on October 5th.
Heather Morris is my new auto buy author! I loved loved loved The Tattooist of Auschwitz and when I got approved for the advance galley and ALC from StMartinsPress and NetGalley for Three Sisters, I was very super delighted!

Three Sisters by Heather Morris is a story of Cibi, Magda and Livi bound by love, promise and courage. Living their horrific days in concentration camps during the Holocaust, leaving behind so many people, so many memories and moving on to building new ones in new country.

This story is a masterfully crafted work of wonders and heart wrenching pain. Heather Morris’s story telling feels so real, as if you are part of the plot and you can feel your heart hurt.

Narrator Finty Williams did an amazing job with each and every characters voice and their emotions and depth of their feelings. I have taken a liking to listening to audiobooks a lot lately and this narrator was so good and genuine, I would look up her other narrations!

This book releases on Oct 5, 2021and I highly recommend you all literary, historical fiction lover to pick up this book for your fall read.
Three Slovakian sisters promise their father that they will be there for each other, no matter what. Heather Morris’ book, Three Sisters, details the stories of theses Jewish sisters during WWII and into the future.

The youngest and oldest sisters, Livi and Cibi, are rounded up to “work for the Germans.” Part 2 of the book is aptly titled ‘The Gates of Hell.’ The girls are tattooed with numbers, shaved, starved and forced to labor in Auschwitz and Birkenau. “There is no let-up in their treatment: despite the raging heat, the daily abuse of their bodies and minds continues.” Winter was even worse. The brutality and hopelessness of their situation seems to go on forever. The sisters (and a few other kind souls) help each other survive.

Meanwhile, Magda, the middle sister hides at a neighbors’ or in the forest, as the roundups of Jews grows. I’ll not give away spoilers, but the siblings are reunited. The second half of the book is more hopeful, with the sisters beginning new lives in Israel.

The audiobook: The first half of Three Sisters is brutal with concentration camp depictions. I found myself not wanting to continue to listen. When reading, I could skim the worse suffering and move forward. While the concentration camp sections seemed to go on forever, they were an integral part of the story and an essential background for survivors’ guilt issues

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I really enjoyed this book. I had already read The Tattooist of Auschwitz and knew what to expect from this author.

I was able to connect to the sisters and the story is so so touching!! I will say that the energy from the first half of the book, at about 60% through, I did feel that the energy dropped and the going was a bit slower.
Heather Morris never disappoints—The Tattooist of Auschwitz, Cilka’s Journey, and now her latest the Three Sisters, are all worth reading.

Cibi, Magda, and Livia make a promise to their father to always look out for each other.  When the Nazis upend their world, the three sisters continue to live up to their promise.  Livia is ordered to leave her home to work for the Germans, and big sister Cibi goes with her, not willing to let her baby sister go to a “work” camp on her own.  Magda, who is ill, is in the hospital when the Germans take her sisters away.

We quickly learn that the “work” camp Cibi and Livia are sent to is actually Auschwitz.  They like so many others do everything they can to survive, motivated by the chance to reunite with their sister, who they believe is home safe.

Magda is safer, but is regularly terrorized by an unwelcome community and the threat of being sent away.  Her Christian neighbor often hides her, and when necessary, Magda flees to the forest to hide.  Eventually, all Jews are rounded up in Slovakia and Magda is at long last reunited with her sisters.

Unlike most Holocaust accounts, Cibi, Magda, and Livia’s tale doesn’t end with the liberation of the camps.  We learn about the three sister’s journey home to a country overtaken by the Communists, and then to their new Jewish homeland in Israel.

Based on real sisters who survived the Holocaust, Cibi, Magda, and Livia’s account of hope and strength in such a dark time in history is not one to be missed.  Thank you to Netgalley, Macmillan Audio, and of course Heather Morris for the advanced copy.  All opinions are my own.  Three Sisters comes out on October 5th!
Heather Morris was extremely in-depth in this book, you can tell she put a lot of heart, soul, emotional labour and research into this book. The details are so vivid that while I was listening to the audiobook I felt like I was actually there and in the midst of the trials and the pain. The way this story stems from the real-life story of 3 sisters who despite all odds against them survived, where so many others didn’t from even the same kinds of circumstances is so incredible. If you don’t believe in miracles before you read this book you will after. There is no way you can’t believe in God or a Higher power after reading this book. It is meant to shake you up, make you realize the power beyond yourself, and give you hope. I truly did enjoy this book on so many deep levels. I felt a connection in the familial aspects, I felt deep sorrow for those who suffered the Holocaust and the guilt in surviving when so many others didn’t. That is a very palpable thing to have. In my own experience of survivors' guilt, I could relate to this on many levels even though I never experienced anything to the level of the Holocaust. The true will to survive these sisters had is unmatched in many stories I’ve read about World War 2.
Sisterly bonds and the will to survive are the two strongest themes of this book. As a fan of historical fiction, I am always interested in a unique perspective on WWII. The horror and sadness of concentration camps can only be experienced so many times through books. Although Three Sisters spends much time on the terror of the Third Reich, it also takes us on a journey of the sisters bonds both before and after the war, in that way highlighting the hope and the love that their family shared.

The fact that these women are real and did survive, in and of itself is uplifting. I appreciate that the author, Heather Morris, met a couple of the sisters and family members so that though fictionalized, much is based on facts.

We rarely see what happened to survivors of the Holocaust, this book showed us not only how hard it was to assimilate back home after the war but the chance these women took in starting life over in the new country of Israel.

Thanks to NetGalley for the audio addition of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Many thanks to NetGalley and MacMillan Audio/St Martin's Press for gifting me an audio ARC of the last in the trilogy of World War II stories by Heather Morris, narrated by Finty Williams.  4 stars!

Cibi, Magda and Livi are 3 sisters living in Slovakia.  Before his death, their father made them promise that they would always stay together.  Livi, the youngest, is ordered to go with the Germans.  Cibi goes with her, trying to keep her promise to her father.  The two are taken to Auschwitz while Magda was hidden in hospital.  Two years later, Magda is also captured and the three are reunited.  They continue to fight for their survival together, leading them on a death march across Europe, back to Slovakia, and eventually to Israel.

Heather Morris always does an exemplary job of writing these historical fiction novels, based on real people - be sure to read the author's notes at the end.  The horrors of WWII death camps have certainly been written about but it's important that they aren't forgotten.  The last part of the book focuses on the sisters' life after Auschwitz, which was very interesting.

The narrator did a good job of voicing these characters - especially since the majority of voices were female.
Heather Morris's stories simply astound me.  She writes about one of the most horrific times in history and yet is able to create characters so loving and real that they still give us hope.  Three Sisters is based on a true story of 3 Jewish sisters from Slovakia who survived World War II in Auschwitz and Birkenau extermination camps by honouring their father's dying wish that they would always stick together.  This is the story of how they survived both during the war and afterwards, and the effects it had on them for the rest of their lives, and it is both heartbreaking and amazing.  Livia, Cibi and Magda brought their story to Heather Morris themselves and asked her to write it for them, and the words of many of their family members are also included in afterwords at the end of the book.  The audiobook was narrated by Finty Williams with great heart and compassion and I'd highly recommend this book in either format.