Cover Image: Three Sisters

Three Sisters

Morris does an excellent job of taking an absolutely heartbreaking story in a devastating time in history and filling it with hope.  The Meller girls made a promise to their father in 1929, a promise to always take care of each other, a promise they plan to keep.  In 1942 that promise is threatened when Cibi and Livi are picked up in Slovakia and sent to “work for the Germans”.  When they end up in Auschwitz, they are determined to live, to take care of one another and to one day be reunited with their family.  Their sister, Magda, is left in their home village with her mother and Grandfather, dodging the Nazis at every turn, yet longing to go out and find her sisters.  Feeling helpless, she feels like she has broken the promise.  As one year becomes two, Cibi and Livi meet many obstacles, but never lose their sense of hope, finding help in unusual places, moving to the new camp, Birkenau, when it is finished they continue to push forward, but will they make it out alive and will they ever be reunited with their family?  Set in Slovakia, Poland and Israel, this is their story.  Morris writes a meticulously researched book, a book that’s beautifully narrated by Finty Williams. a book filled with both heartache and hope, a book about the Meller girls.
Three Sisters is the third book written by Heather Morris recounting the stories of Holocaust survivors and their experiences in the concentration camps. Cibi, Magda, and Livia made a promise to their father before his passing years ago that no matter the circumstances, they would stick together and protect each other at all costs.

In the first half of the book we learn about the sisters’ experience in Auschwitz. Horrific and heartbreaking, their will to live and the promise they made to each other helps them survive.  If you’re a reader of WWII historical fiction and non-fiction, you probably won’t learn anything new history-wise, but that certainly doesn’t take away from the awful experiences these women lived through.

In the second half of the book, the sisters return to their home in Slovakia before deciding to make a new start in Israel. I was so happy to see the sisters find love and go on to have families of their own.

I think this would be a great introductory book for young adult readers or anyone who is new to WWII history. I found the writing to be more simplistic in Three Sisters compared to The Tattooist of Auschwitz (which I rated five stars).

Thank you to Netgalley, Macmillan Audio, and St. Martin’s Press for the advanced copy of this audiobook. This audiobook is narrated by Finty Williams. I do think Williams exaggerated the voices of the sisters a bit too much, they often came across as younger and whiny which I didn’t enjoy.
Wow.

If you're a fan of Tattooist of Auschwitz, this one will blow you away! This amazing story of survival of three sisters who managed to stick together and survive the concentration camps, the death marches, and rebuild their lives after the war. It's truly astonishing.

I will say that something about this book was a little harder to read (content wise) than the previous books. It's possible that it's because the country has recently proven that is incredibly easy to divide people, but I also think that part of it is that the previous books are set inside the camp where as in this one the third sister spends the first two years outside of the concentration camps. It was extremely unsettling to watch the world devolve through the eyes of the sibling who remained outside the camp the longest, not knowing when they would send her to the camps, being hauled away with her parents and then separated from them....it was all just deeply unsettling.

Required reading in this country needs to be revamped and this book should be part of it; it really drives home how dangerous division can be and how important it is to have compassion,
3.5 stars, rounded up
Warning - there is a major disconnect between the synopsis of this book and what it actually covers. My rating is based on what I hoped to get out of the book, not the quality of the book itself.  The book itself was well written and expressive.
  Three Sisters is the third book in The Tattooist of Auschwitz series.  I will admit I’m looking to take a break from WWII fiction and only picked this up because it purports to be about what happens to the sisters after the war has ended when they arrive in Israel.  But that’s not entirely true.  The first 60% of the book covers their experience in the concentration camps and their escape at the end of the war.  This first part of the book is a rehash of every other book about the concentration camps.  Sad, depressing and horrible, but I felt like I’d heard it many times before.
I wanted to appreciate this more than I did.   The story is based on real women, and my heart went out to these women.  Their strength was amazing, especially their ability to put the needs of their sisters ahead of their own needs.  As is said in the Afterword, the story is a testament to the power of love and devotion.     But for me, I want to learn something new from historical fiction.  This is why I blame the synopsis of the book. I expected a book about the influx of Jews to Israel after the war.  It’s what I wanted to learn about.  The synopsis literally says “ And this is where the story begins.  From there, the three sisters travel to Israel, to their new home.”   But it’s not where the story begins.  The last 40% of the book describes their return to Slovakia and their attempt to reach Israel.  I was much more interested in this part of the book, as it was all new to me. I wish the book had focused more on this time in their lives.  I also wished that Morris had found a way to give us more details about the formation of the new country.
So, I recommend this to those who are still looking to learn about the concentration camps.   For those who have already read other books on the subject, including the author’s first two, I can only give a more cautious recommendation.
I both read and listened to this.  I found the narrator, Finty Williams, did a less than stellar job.  The voices of the young sisters often came across as whiny.
My thanks to Netgalley, St. Martin’s Press and Macmillan Audio for an advance copy of this book.
This Heather Morris novel tells the story of three sisters from Slovakia, born in the 1920s. Most of their story centers around how they survived auschwitz and berkenau concentration camps during WW2. The descriptions are so vivid and palpable, the author really makes you feel what they felt during this horrific time in our history. Yes, Lale, the tattooist of auschwitz and Cilka have brief mentions but this story of survival is about the Miller sisters who, as children, promise their father they will always stay together and be there for one another. This promise and their hope helped them on their journey. I think of the three books I've read by this author, I liked this one the most. #netgalley
I have enjoyed this series of books that are based on true stories. This author has really done her homework and has a writing style that keeps me interested in the story. This story of three sisters suffering in the holocaust will teach you things you might not have known. Because of this series, I find myself doing more research on the actual events of WWII in Europe and other countries.
The Tattooist of Auschwitz, Morris’s first book, was one of the most moving stories about the Holocaust I have ever read, because it was so personal, so real. She brought that terrible time down to a few characters that broke my heart. Morris returns to Auschwitz, this time to sisters, Cibi, Magda, and Livia. The three women have survived horrendous atrocities, but there is word the Allies are on their way to liberate the camp. Before they have chance to rejoice, the sisters learn that the Nazis are fleeing in advance, trying to erase all evidence of their crimes against humanity. They blow up the crematoriums, and force their prisoners to begin a long march to an undisclosed location. By a stroke of good luck, the sisters escape into the forest before the march begins. The story shifts to life after the war, as the sisters journey to Israel, looking for a way to start new lives and to try to forget their terrible past. Characters from Morris’s first two books make an appearance in this story, and they are like old friends to readers like me, so happy to see their chance at a new life