Cover Image: An Unreliable Magic

An Unreliable Magic

I enjoyed this book. The characters were well thought out and the plot moved at a great pace. I would enjoy reading more from this author in the future.
Yeah, I loved reading this book! Loved being in this world again, with these characters, and it was so great to see what changes have happened since the events of the first book, because it is for the better, but it does bring about a new set of challenges!

I do wish that I'd reread the first book, though. It's been so long since I read the first book, between the cover redesign and that I got an ARC of the first book, that it's been just weeks short of being 2 years since I read the first book. So there were a lot of names and histories to remember, but I did get into the swing of things pretty quickly!

There's a lot of characters to keep track of. There's of course Tala and we got to explore her magic a bit more in this book. Alex was a part of the story, but he's kinda busy given that's he's running a kingdom. Loki is struggling between helping the banders and becoming a member of Fifth Honor, but meets an adversary in Vivien. Nya and Ken are dealing with their prophecies that seem to match up to one another.  Zoe and Nottingham may be dealing with the same, as well. West ends up pretty famous, which was pretty hilarious. Yeah, there was a lot going on in this book!

I loved all the developments in these characters stories, they all have some pretty wicked prophecies hanging over them. And I loved the main plot of this book, of OzCorp and the weird things they were building. I loved what it added to the world, and I can't wait to see where things go from there!

This was such a fantastic read, and I can't wait for the 3rd and final book!
This was a strong sequel! I am always impressed with Chupeco and I was not disappointed this time around. The story telling was rich and vibrant.
Another fast paced rump through a world of multicultural magic with a colorful range of characters full to the brim of banter. This is the second volume in the series and it's keeping all it's promises. There is no time to sit down with this series and I feel like the action is always sprinting full tilt and sets the expectation high on readers with incredibly creative and jam packed ideas.  This is not a book that focuses on settings and such, here you will run past many many things, there was probably enough to make a few books, I mean the cast is also huge and they all have so different stories and backgrounds and make references to things. In this case I think it works, it's the style of the author,  and it connects to my ADHD brain like a charm. If you like playful characters, plot twists, adventure fantasy, strong women, unlikely Hodge podge mixes of culture, fantastical, pop culture and fairy tales, you will be swimming in happiness.
I really enjoyed this book. The plot was quick and the characters well developed. I would enjoy reading other works by this author in the future.
I was so excited to get this book! I am a huge fan of Rin Chupeco! When I got approved for this I started right away! I was ready to revisit these characters!! I loved this book and I love all the different fairytale references in it! Definitely will be recommending this!!!
The first book in this series was a big hit with my students so I can't wait to share this wonderful sequel with them. Personally, I'm not sure if this needed to be as long as it was -  but it was enjoyable nevertheless.
Rating 3.5/5
This book needs to downsize - a lot.
I really wanted to give this book a better review because it touches on so many important topics like ICE concentration camps, immigration, etc. But there is so much info dumping that it takes away from the story. Each chapter felt like they introduced an important piece to the plot, but some interruption always happens mid-conversation and when we return to the "conversation" we get a rushed closure of the topic that doesn't feel right.

Banter. That's about 40-50% of the book. There so much banter sometimes that it takes away from the plot.
Plot. There's so many. I started a notepad listing events that happened but it got out of control. There's TOO much plot that it doesn't give each story justice. I wish the author picked 2-3 storylines to follow to dive in deeper, because they felt too surface level.
Characters. There were so many that my eyes started glazing over each name. They each have their own lore which I was interested in but again, each character's story was so rushed that we don't get to fully appreciate their character and they turned out one dimensional.
Fairy Tales is interwoven into technology, but there again is so much that it can be overwhelming.

Overall, the story was interesting but could be split up into 2-3 books to add more depth. If you are interested in politics you would be able to understand the depth of the book more but if you aren't the info dumping tries to get you caught up but falls short sometimes. I believe this author has so much potential with this series. Again it just needs to downsize a lot to flow better but I'm happy such important topics are getting talked about.

Thank you Netgalley for allowing me to enjoy this ARC!

Warm regards,
Diana Banana
The second book in the A Hundred Names for Magic trilogy, an unforgettable alternative history fairy-tale series from the author of The Bone Witch about found family, modern day magic, and finding the place you belong.

Tala, Alex, and the rest of their friends are safe for now, but know the Snow Queen is still out there. They have to be prepared for when she eventually attacks—and all decide to do so in their own way.

This is a mash up of a bunch of fairy tales....   I like this better than Wicked as you wish because we know this world now.    The first book took me a while to get into because it's a detailed and complex magical world.    But the payoff is so worth it.    :)    The characters continue to be great and the plot is suspenseful.    Another great book in this series.   I finished it in one day btw.

Thanks to the publisher for the arc.