Cover Image: Never Coming Home

Never Coming Home

I love a story told from the POV of the villain!
Never Coming Home is an entertaining thriller about Lucas, a past criminal who hires a hitman to murder his wife in hopes to inherit her fortune. Fun, right? He is the protagonist you will love to hate! So of course we have twists and turns as things start spiralling out of control and secrets are revealed! It sort of shifted into the realm of ridiculous for me at times but nevertheless the angle McKinnon took with this novel is one I would like to see more of! I mean who doesn’t want to know what goes on inside the mind of evil?
Slow burn turned to twists and turns. Loved the pacing of this and how engrossed I was with the story. Definitely recommend!
This would have been a four star book for me until the end. There are so many things that threw it off the cliff for me with the last 1/4 of it though.

Our "protagonist" is a fun character to read the book through, as he's a con man and a murderer but he's also funny and surprisingly human. Lucas has married Michelle for her money and then decided to hire a hit man to speed things up. While he's clearly a bad guy for this, he also loves his stroke-disabled father, makes sure his wife isn't going to suffer, honestly cares about his dying mother-in-law and even adopts a stray dog that his wife wanted to have killed. We're in his head for the whole book as everything goes terribly bad and it's clear that someone knows and is after him.

Michelle, on the other hand, is a victim I didn't feel that bad for. She wants to kill the sweet stray dog that comes around. She fires an employee for using the copy machine to print out flyers for a muscular dystrophy fundraiser. She treats "the help" as if they're dirt. She spends money on expensive clothes, jewelry, furniture and art for herself with both fists but then tells her beloved new husband that there's no way he can move his sick father to a care home in the U.S. because he doesn't have enough money to do it. Of course she didn't deserve to be murdered, but I just didn't feel that bad for her.

I enjoyed the cat-and-mouse element to the story as Lucas starts to get notes and signs that someone is on to him, but the book started to hurl itself into ridiculous territory in the last quarter. As multiple reviewers have mentioned, the end seems straight out of a Scooby Doo episode. And the final outcome? Ugh. Without giving any spoilers, I can't root for any of that. Blech.

The story telling was good but McKinnon needs to figure out how to write better endings. The plot holes were huge and the ending was such a let down. What a waste of such a good character.

Goodreads defines two stars as "it was okay" and that's the most I can say about this one since I cannot say I liked it. I seem to be in the minority though, so pick up a copy and see what you think.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for review.
If you enjoyed You by Caroline Kepnes, then I think you will enjoy this book. I don't mind unlikeable characters and Lucas is definitely unlikeable. The story is told from his POV and we learn early on that he targeted his wife for her money and always intended on having her killed. His only redeeming quality is he loves his dog. I had some of the plot figured out early on so no shocking twist for me but I don't always have to have that to enjoy a book. I was planning on giving it 3 stars until the end which I did not like. I can't give any details as this would spoil the story but it just wasn't for me.
Fast and fun domestic thriller.

Lucas Forester has murder on his mind. He's got a brilliant plan to complete his reinvention and become a wealthy man. Unfortunately, its his wife who has the money and divorce is so messy. Hence, his scheme to hire a hit man off the dark web. Everything goes off without a hitch, the deed is done, and Lucas has deftly shifted suspicion away so well that the police no longer view him as a suspect. Just as everything is moving in the right direction, things suddenly start to go awry. The first clue is when Lucas finds a photo with a taunting message in his mail. I KNOW.

This was so entertaining watching Lucas try to navigate through his rapidly changing position. He is a character the reader will love to hate, and his internal musings and rationalizations are often witty and funny. As his situation goes from bad to worse and his clever maneuverings start to fail, you almost can't help but root for him a little. Although I figured what must be going on behind the scenes, it was still a blast to reach the denouement and -- that ending!!!!

I totally enjoyed this one and thanks to NetGalley and Mira Books for this e-book ARC to read, review, and recommend.
My thanks to Harlequin, H.M.K., and Netgalley.
I m definitely the wrong audience for this book!
Domestic thrillers aren't my thing...at all!
So, I quit this story at 28%. Yes, I know! I didn't give it the full 30% like I usually do, but sometimes a person knows when to quit. I quit.
This isn't to say that this is an awful story. It's just me saying that it's not my kind of story.
Oof. This thriller went from intriguing to unrealistic to so insanely unrealistic it’s insulting. Look, I know that with every thriller there will be unrealistic elements, but Never Coming Home was in a league of its own and I don’t necessarily mean that as a compliment. For one thing, the author spent a lot of time in the beginning of the novel introducing the reader to a meticulous and clever criminal, which I applauded. I found myself rooting for Lucas and appreciating his attention to detail and tenacity, even if it was rooted in evil. However, a third of the way through the novel, Lucas begins making haste and rash decisions that deviate so drastically from his persona in the beginning of the book that I thought at first that I had started a new book! Also, the side characters aren’t fully fleshed out and are so obviously included to either be a red herring or an actual suspect - nothing in between. So here I am, getting annoyed at the character’s ridiculous decisions, screaming to the book that I already know who really is involved and who isn’t involved (no matter how many times the narrative tells me this person just HAS to be a suspect), hoping at least that this all wraps up soon. Then, it does wrap up and it’s just beyond; beyond ridiculous, beyond unrealistic, beyond what any actual person would ever do…ever. This thriller was frankly just way too unrealistic for me to enjoy.

Special thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin Trade Publishing for the electronic ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Thanks to Netgalley and Mira for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Lucas is married to Michelle. Michelle's family has a lot of money. Lucas's father is in a care home back in England and Lucas needs money to upgrade his father's care. So, obviously he decides to kill Michelle and get all of her money for himself. But, shortly after her disappearance, Lucas starts getting strange mailings that lead him to believe someone knows what he's been up to. But how can that be, when he planned so carefully and covered all the bases so thoroughly?

This was a fun book. Lucas was a bit of a pyschopath, but a sort of loveable one, like Joe Goldberg in You and Paul Strom in Best Day Ever. He endeared himself to me when he took in Roger, the stray dog that was at his back door, rather than taking him to the pound. He also had a noble use for the money. And Michelle wasn't really that nice of a person...Of course we knew Michelle's murder couldn't have been executed as cleanly as Lucas told us it was, and that started the cat and mouse game. I thought that part got a little long, but overall I liked this book.
DNF at 15%. I get the appeal of an unlikable character - but in this case, I just couldn't make it work. Lucas isn't just unlikable, for me he is grating on my every nerve. And while I get that's the point and have some ideas where things are headed - I can't see spending hours in his company to get there. I've seen lots of great reviews so I think it's more of a "me thing" than about the book but this one isn't for me. Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the advance reading copy.
This was such a uniquely crafted thriller - reading from the villain's point of view is not something I've done frequently and I found it utterly readable and hard to put down!!
Lucas Forrester had a lot of layers to him as a character and this is where Hannah Mary McKinnon seems to really shine for me - some thrillers are much more plot based but hers tend to deep dive into the characters and their pasts and relationships which lead to the plot points. I don't want to say too too much about the story because I do think that this type of thriller is often best read without too too much information, but if you enjoy domestic multi-layered thrillers, this one would be a great summer pick.

There were several story elements I definitely didn't anticipate and the ending was quite satisfying. Furthermore, my copy of this book included a little glimpse into the plot of Hannah Mary's NEXT book which sounds amazing too!!

Thank you so much to Mira and Harper Collins for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This was a fun suspense novel told from the perspective of the “bad guy”. I found myself sort of rooting for him, and appreciating that he knew how to cover his tracks. My main complaint is with the ending and how everything resolved a little unrealistically for me. Despite that, it was an enjoyable read for any lovers of a good “whodunnit”
Thank you NetGalley and Harlequin Trade Publishing for this ARC in exchange for my fair and honest review.

Rating: 4 Stars
Publication: May 24, 2022
Pages: 368

“Never Coming Home” is a first time read by Hannah Mary McKinnon, new author to this reader.  Once in a while I dabble a little into a what I think is a good thriller.  Well, this one was exactly what I was anticipating.

The story is of Lucas and Michelle who appear on the outside as a couple with imperfections.  They are success and rich. However, beneath all that they have accomplished, there is a husband that really hates his wife…literally can’t stand to be anywhere near her.  Then there is Michelle who is quite the snob and doesn’t care for those whom she believes is beneath her.  Well, Lucas comes up with a plan to do away with her and someone to do the dirty work for him.  After getting rid of his pain in the neck, he begins to live the life he wants and dreams…it is unfortunate that someone has caught on to Lucas and will not rest until they make him pay for his crime.

This was one thriller that I had a hard time putting down and ignoring other reads to finish it.  Ms. McKinnon has a well-written thriller that has its dark side with all the twists and turns for a good chilling read.  What a delightful and entertaining read.  Recommend this exciting book.
Thank you to NetGalley, Harlequin Trade Publishing and Hannah Mary McKinnon for the free e-book in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this one, which surprises me not at all because McKinnon is always on point with her writing! I like how this was written from the husbands perspective and how you definitely don’t like him, but also he’s keeping you wrapped around his little finger. I thought it was a different way to go about it and I would recommend for sure!
Lucas Forester’s mother in law is dying of cancer and getting weaker by the day. His wife Michelle is missing as she has been abducted.

As the story progresses we begin to see that Lucas is not a decent guy who has been plotting his wife’s death since she made him sign a prenuptial agreement. Lucas comes across as a conniving manipulative man with a big ego to boot.  He likes to believe he has everything under control and he is one step ahead of everyone.

The story twists and turns and takes the reader on a journey learning more about Lucas’ background and how he met his wife. We learn about the relationship that he has with MIchelle's father, brother and mother.

It's a psychological thriller that kept me reading and curious as to how all the backstories pull together. There were times I felt like laughing, other times the story felt scary and I was spooked.

I would recommend this book if you like psychological thrillers.  I would rate it a 7.5/10. It will keep you reading and take you through a gamut of emotions.
“Never Coming Home” was easily one of the best thrillers I have read so far this year! I did have a few suspicions early on that were addressed, however there were still quite a few twists that I really enjoyed and hadn’t quite put together. Lucas is one of the more unique main characters I’ve come across, and his POV really added a bit of humour to the otherwise suspenseful storyline.
Although the ending went a little too quickly/wrapped up pretty fast, I was pretty satisfied the way the story wrapped up overall. I look forward to McKinnon’s next book!
Big thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin Trade Publishing for an ARC of this novel!
4.5/5 rounded up!
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Electric, propulsive and chilling, Never Coming Home is the addictive new thriller from Hannah Mary Mckinnon.

Lucas and Michelle Forester seem like the perfect couple. Successful, accomplished and rich beyond most people’s dreams, they are a couple who seem to have it all. However, scratch beneath the sophisticated surface and immeasurable wealth and you will find a husband who cannot stand to be in the same room as his wife. Michelle might be one of the richest women in the world, but she is petty beyond belief and a snob with a complete disregard for people below her status. Lucas would love nothing more than to get rid of his wife for good and he hatches the perfect plan that will allow him to inherit Michelle’s millions. All he needs is to find someone willing to get rid of his wife for him for good using whatever means necessary.

With Michelle finally out of the picture, Lucas is living the dream. While the world looks at him with pity as the grieving husband, Lucas can enjoy the spoils of his victory unencumbered by the wife he couldn’t stand. With his tracks covered and all traces removed, nobody is going to derail Lucas’ rosy future – until a shocking photo and a cryptic note transforms him from the hunter into the hunted.

Somebody is onto Lucas and they are not going to rest until they make him pay for what he’s done to Michelle…

Rebecca meets Gone Girl in Hannah Mary McKinnon’s compulsively readable thriller, Never Coming Home. Lifting the lid on the lives of the one percent, Never Coming Home is a dark, twisty and chilling tale of greed, vengeance and deception that is so juicy and all-consuming, it will keep readers engrossed and entertained all through the night.

Readers looking for a nail-biting thriller packed with shocking twists and turns need look no further than Hannah Mary McKinnon’s latest, Never Coming Home.
“You’ll need a neck brace for the twists and turns in this thriller!”

Lucas Forester, the narrator of Hannah Mary McKinnon’s latest thriller Never Coming Home, grieves his missing wife, who has disappeared with no explanation. They had the perfect marriage. He is clever, witty, and handsome, and Michelle is gorgeous, wealthy, and the curator of a Boston gallery. He begins his narration at the bedside of his mother-in-law, who adores him. Lucas and Michelle’s neighbors, Diane and Karina, live across the street in Chelmswood near Boston, and Diane is Nora’s hospice nurse. Along with his other duties, Lucas tries to keep his addicted brother-in-law Travis from overdosing. Lucas has his hands full while he fears for his missing wife and deals with suspicious Detective Anjali Dubal who is working to bring his wife home.

Sound like your average thriller? Think again.

McKinnon has created such a fiendishly sinister tale with so many twists and turns that you’ll have to wear a neck brace.

Lucas has not only killed his father-in-law and made it look like an accident (a mishap he calls it), but he’s had Michelle killed too. At first, I thought this novel should be titled “How to Commit the Perfect Murder.” With his compelling voice, he explains precisely how he hired a killer from the dark web to take care of his wife so he could inherit her wealth. With his wife gone, he now plays the grieving husband. Add “great actor” to his many talents.

But why stop there? The family is loaded. Why not go for it all? His mother-in-law is dying, so that's no problem, but the brother must go, and he strategizes on how to help his brother-in-law overdose.

Lucas thinks he’s smart, especially after successfully escaping Bobby Boyle, who is after the 50k Lucas owes him. Lucas has changed his physical characteristics and name and moved to the States, but someone knows the truth and is after him. Crazy and scary situations start happening, like fragments of a photo of Michelle showing up in envelopes in different places. He’s forced to check where his wife is buried to ensure she’s dead. But the nerve-wracking incidents escalate, and even though Lucas thinks he will figure it out, will he?

Poor Lucas has no idea what he’s in for.

McKinnon brilliantly sets us up to, if not to like Lucas, but to admire his audacity and wit. He’s devoted to his father and likes Nora, the matriarch, saying it’s sad she’s terminally ill. He has a dog named Roger that Michelle would have taken to the pound. His best trait? He’s funny. He knows who he is and admits he’s bad. One time after playing the grieving husband, he decides he needs to tone it down because “Nobody wanted to be around an overdramatic, constant crybaby regardless of their circumstances.” Thanks to McKinnon’s character development, we get lines such as when he’s describing the detective as having expressions “more public library than open book.”

Lucas, however, is too smart for his own good. As the pressures mount, he starts making mistakes. And prepare yourself for the ending. I thought I knew what was going to happen, but... no. In the words of an online reviewer, it’s a “boffo read” right to the end.

McKinnon has pulled off creating a character who charms, murders, and makes you laugh. She does it with exemplary writing skills, delivery of pertinent details (pay attention), and formidable plotting. This is one thriller you won’t soon forget.

Thanks to Mira Publishing and Hannah Mary McKinnon for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
I was into this book from the very start. It was fun reading such a cocky, horrible, and yet somehow still likeable character.
Excellent thriller. Lucas orders a hit on his wife, but it's clear someone knows more than they should. It's a fast read that sucks you into a character you probably shouldn't be cheering for, but can't help it. The twist at the end is spot-on, but perfection, the sort of ending you look back and wonder how you didn't see it. Another great read by McKinnon!
This was a fantastic domestic thriller. For a pretty dark book, there aren’t really any awful triggers which is good for readers. Telling a story from the villains perspective can be tricky but McKinnon did a fabulous job keeping Lucas evil but also funny and endearing. While I had a feeling about where the story was going, I absolutely loved the ending and it really turned everything on its head. Lucas really should have installed some cameras and his problems would have been solved but in the end his ego was his downfall.