Cover Image: Never Coming Home

Never Coming Home

4.5 star read for me! I really enjoyed this book! This story follows Lucas, who orders a hit on his wife which was very strategically planned, all for the benefit of money. However, as the story unfolds, it is clear that somebody knows his secret.
I was captivated by this book and was on the edge of my seat as each event played out. I love a story where I root for the wrong time (in this case Lucas, even though he ordered Michelle’s murder and other criminal activities that ensue), they really get me thinking. When the twist came, my jaw literally dropped. I truly did not see the ending coming but it really wrapped everything up in a neat little bow, and everything came full circle for Lucas. However, I really would’ve liked to see him get out of the mess that he made.
Never Coming Home 🏡

“I guess if my wife was glacial, I was Antarctica pre-global warming “

Rating : ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️✨

Is it just me, but I loved reading from a man’s perspective, especially you Lucas Forrester. Lucas, a con-man, are a POV that I could read over and over again. He is that man you love to hate.

Hannah Mary McKinnon, I tip my hat off to you, the writing and uniqueness of this one was brillant and is totally my new current favourite of yours 😊

My only disappointment in this was the ending. Watching Lucas’s highly detailed thought out plan start to fall apart was kinda shocking. But I will not dwell on that cause the thrill of always wanting to see what Lucas was going to do next had me hooked.

This was definitely an addictive, page-turner that I would recommend. Thank you to @harpercollinsca & @hannahmarymckinnon for the ARC, both physical and digital in exchange of an honest review.
Lucas was in it for the long con.  Sure, he put up with his wife's petty annoyances and his brother-in-law's addiction. But it would be worth it in the end once he was filthy rich! Thank goodness his annoying father-in-law had a heart attack early in his marriage.  That helped speed things along, and now that his mother-in-law was losing her battle with cancer, well everything was falling into place nicely!

Except someone knows what he did....

Lucas thought he was clever, that he had covered every track. And that smugness will get you every time! Is it wrong that I almost wanted Lucas to get away with murder? McKinnon narrates the story through Lucas in such a darkly humorous way that his logic almost makes sense. And the ending comes powerfully and swiftly! I don't know how this author was not on my radar, but now that she is, I will go back and read more of her books.

Thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin Trade Publishing, MIRA for introducing me to Never Coming Home!
Lucas Forester is dealing with terrible events in his life. His wife Michelle was abducted a month ago, his mother-in-law is dying of cancer, and he’s helping his brother-in-law stay clean and sober. Detective Anjali Dubal is concerned about Michelle but tells Lucas not to give up hope. Lucas seems like a devoted husband and friends envy his perfect marriage to the beautiful and wealthy Michelle. However as a little more time goes by, it’s clear that appearances can be deceiving and Lucas has been keeping secrets.

This book is different from the typical domestic suspense novel. For one thing, the whole book is told from the husband’s point-of-view. However, the main thing is that even though Lucas lies to the other characters in the book, there is nothing ambiguous about his narrative. He makes it clear very early in the book the kind of person he is and what his plans are. The suspense in the story comes from wondering what is going to happen next and if someone really knows about the things he has done. The first person narration style is perfect for the book and gives the reader a firsthand look at the real Lucas. Lucas is a compelling character and even though he does some terrible things, his narrative is darkly funny.

Never Coming Home is fast-paced and entertaining. This is the first book I’ve read by this author, but am impressed by how clever the plot is. The ending is surprising, but fitting based on all that went on throughout the story. There are times I had to suspend disbelief, but still found this to be a good book that was fun to read.

~ Christine
Maaaan! HMM has done it again. I listened to the audio and it was so compelling. Autobuy author for me for sure.
Holy smokes. What did I just read? My mind is still reeling from this book.

I was not familiar with Hannah Mary McKinnon and had not read any of her previous works so I wasn't sure what to expect.

This book hooked me from the very beginning. I texted a friend and told her she needed to start reading this book right away.  Just when I thought I had things figured out, McKinnon laid out another twist plot.

There is nothing that I could say that hasn't already been said about the premise or that wouldn't give anything away. Just do yourself a favor and get this book. The only reason it took me as long as it did to read it was that I couldn't read this book before going to sleep. This book is what nightmares can be made of.

5 stars

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and Harlequin/MIRA for exchange of an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This is the sordid tale of Lucas who has devised a plan to kill his wife in order to inherit her substantial inheritance. Lucas is without a doubt a sociopath who lacks any empathy for others and is only out for himself. The author very successfully conveys this and I found it highly intriguing and entertaining. The ending provides a couple of nice twists to put the icing on the cake. Fans of Mo Hayder and Mary Kubica will enjoy this.
This is a thriller very different from all others I have read. Lucas Forester is a conman who was in it for the long haul. He meets a rich, trust fund woman, Michelle, in London. He is looking for a way out of the country and an heiress is a great way to start a new life. Unfortunately, when they get married, there is an air tight prenup, and Michelle keeps meticulous records of what they spend their money on. He has no choice but to kill her, or better yet, hire a hit man. Michelle's mother is dying, her father died of heart attack shortly after they married, and her brother is an addict, Lucas is going to get it all. All he has to do is play the grieving husband. But, when a shocking photo and cryptic note show up on his doorstep, Lucas goes from hunter to prey.

I am not going to give this story away, you have to read it for yourself. Better yet, listen to it. Alex Wyndham does an amazing job with Lucas. It was like being in the same room as a psychopath. Hannah Mary McKinnon did such a wonderful job developing the characters. Lucas was such a devious, evil character, one you love to hate. I felt bad for Michelle's family, never going to find out what happened to her. There was one detective on the case, but she seemed to be rather ineffectual. Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down. The conclusion of this book was one final twist and all I can say is wow! I was not expecting that. I definitely recommend this one. I am going to end with a quote from author, Jennifer Hillier: "One hell of a ride... Absolutely brilliant.”
Steer clear of Lucas!
Michelle Ward-Forester is missing. Her husband Lucas Forester is not innocent in his involvement.
Thank you to Netgalley and Simon & Schuster Canada for my eARC for review!
The newest novel from author Hannah Mary McKinnon tells the tale from antagonist Lucas's point of view.
And it's a darkly humorous and disturbing journey!
I was hooked right away at being inside the mind of a sociopath in on the long con. And the ending - truly memorable!
I'm being deliberately vague because Never Coming Home is one you just need to dive into and experience somewhat blindly. These are characters you will love to hate, and hate to love!
Recommended!
Lucas is almost as fun to hate as Joe (You). Or Paul (Best Day Ever). Although he loves his rescue dog, Roger, so he isn’t all bad. Sure, his wife is a pita but did she deserve to die? Lucas thinks so because she’s RICH. As in filthy rich. And now with Michelle out of the way HE is going to be rich! He deserves it!

He plays the grieving widower to perfection, without a single misstep. Until he receives a note that says “I know what you did”. Someone is on to him, and he needs to find out who. What follows is a fun cat and mouse game. The highlight of the book and what makes it so good is being in Lucas’s head. Highly entertaining! I'm not sure what it says about me but I love being in a snarky, devious psycho's head, and more than once I found myself chuckling.

It wasn’t hard to figure out what had gone awry, but the journey was a fun one. The ending was crazy, and sort of ridiculous, but expected with this type of book. Pop the popcorn and enjoy the ride!
Lucas Forester has spent years plotting his wife’s murder so he could inherit her fortune. He’s crossed every T and dotted every I, covered all his tracks, and planned the perfect crime. Or has he? Never Coming Home is a brilliant, spellbinding thriller, with the perfect blend of dark humor and suspense. Told entirely from the POV of our protagonist, a richly developed character that’s a villain you’ll love, with plenty of twists and a highly satisfying ending. This is a great story from start to finish, very entertaining. I received an ARC of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
A fast, intense game of cat and mouse..

Lucas takes out a hit on his wife  -he wants her money.    What could go wrong?

Well, we know something goes awry or we wouldn't have a book.    And of course I figured out what was going to happen - but I was wrong!!  I already was enjoying the book, and now I really perked up.

It was fun and filled with twists and turns.

Kudos to the author - Hannah Mary McKinnon because Lucas is the bad guy, but I was rooting for him!  I liked him..  I loved reading about this from his point of view..

Thank you to the author, the publisher and #netgalley for the ARC which did not impact my review,.  A solid 4 stars.
My Highly Caffeinated Thought: A positively compulsive read with tension, deception, and wickedly dark wit.

Have you ever read a book that you thought you knew exactly how it was going to play out, but change your mind halfway through and still didn’t get the ending right? NEVER COMING HOME is that for me. McKinnon masterfully crafted a tale of duplicity, containing devious plans, and filled with smartly developed characters.

What is so fabulous about this book is how fast-paced and intense it is. It is the definition of a page-turner. Lucas is the type of villain with intelligence and cunning charm that pulls you in. You want to hate him, but you also want to know more. This is the brilliance of this novel. The level of tension is heightened as the reader learns the full story of what really took place. Then McKinnon throws in more twists and turns to propel the mystery forward. By the end, the reader will be shocked and completely obsessed with what happened.

Am I gushing about this book? Yes. It is not the first thriller I have read by the author, but I feel as if it is. NEVER COMING HOME knocked it out of the park for me and took me by surprise with the level of intrigue and suspense. This is not to say I didn’t enjoy the other two books I have read by the author. All I am saying is this book brings the best of what a domestic thriller can be.
He has covered his tracks perfectly... or has he?

Lucas doesn't love his wife, Michelle, but he doesn't hate her either. He despises her better-than-thou attitude and careless spending habits, but she's not completely unappealing. What Lucas does love about Michelle is her abundance of wealth, and he has the perfect plan to gain it all for himself. He takes a hit out on Michelle, making sure to carefully cover his tracks so that no evidence can be connected to him. Lucas is the portrait of a worried husband, and everyone is convinced that he is completely beside himself over Michelle's disappearance. But Lucas begins to wonder if someone suspects him after all when strange notes and photos start to turn up on his doorstep. Has someone out there seen through his façade?
I devoured this novel in almost one sitting, as it was nearly impossible to put down. I was in awe at how despicable Lucas truly was, and held absolutely no sympathy for him whatsoever. With that being said, I got so wrapped up in the story that I almost forgot I wasn't rooting for Lucas. I was on the edge of my seat with anticipation at whether or not he would get away with what he'd done. I read the eARC and listened to the audiobook for Never Coming Home, and the narrator was amazing at portraying Lucas as cold, calculating, and unwilling to be accountable for his own actions. I highly recommend this novel to anyone who loves a fast-paced psychological thriller with an unlikable main character!
Oh Lucas, I forgot you were bad in the end I became so endeared to you. How did that happen? Hannah Mary McKinnon is how. She is one of my favorite thriller writers and this book is a great reason why. Lucas Forester is not a good guy, and I love that she chose to write a thriller from the villain’s perspective. What I did NOT expect to happen was that I would become so close to this guy that I would forget he was bad lol. He did such a great job in covering his tracks that no one would suspect a thing when his wife disappeared, after all, he is the victim here, he is the grieving husband and is playing the part so incredibly well. Just a little bit longer and then he will get the money he deserves. All so he thinks. I mean, until this pesky photo and note show up at his doorstep letting him know that someone is onto him.

I absolutely LOVED this book and how this was told, the POV from the villain was absolutely genius and Lucas is now one of my favorites. I loved his snark and his arrogance, he was literally the best. I highly recommend you read this one, thriller lovers will not want to pass this up!!

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for the digital copy to review.
Never Coming Home by Hannah Mary McKinnon

His bride planned a wedding and a life together while Lucas has been planning the end of the marriage.

Every detail planned to perfection. Burner phones, a laptop only for this purpose, a locker at the bus station. No detail missed. Even setting an alarm to make himself look tired, unable to sleep, and worried about his missing wife, to look like the poor upset husband. Ha! If only people really knew. But they never will. Lucas has planned Michelle's disappearance to every minute detail.

Now he is helping care for her mother, Nora. Dying of cancer and adding to his plan perfectly. All of the money will go to him soon. He just has to be patient a while longer.

But when odd things start to happen, Lucas begins to think back through every step. He knows nothing can be traced to him. Unless...

Then, someone from his past shows up who can ruin everything, so another plan forms.

Lucas is always two steps ahead of everyone. He has to be. His fathers life depends on it.

"Highly anticipated book! Great author! Highly recommended by Books and Pens on Green Gables!"

I was given this book to read and review.
This is a story that happens across the world probably every day. Hannah Mary McKinnon writes her characters with depth - enough that I almost love to hate them. Lucas marries for money and then plots and schemes to make Michelle disappear for good... Clearly not marrying for love. But alas, involving someone else in your plan to murder your wife (or have her murdered) comes at a cost that is far greater than financial, which Lucas learns. Suddenly, the tables have flipped and now he's the one watching his back.

While I enjoyed the writing, the story seemed to lack a pizzazz that would have sucked me into it.
Thank you so much @hannahmarymckinnon @harpercollinsca and @tandemcollectiveglobal for having me along on the read along of Never Coming Home.  HMM's last book, You Will Remember Me was one of my favourite books of last year so I knew I needed to read this one as soon as I heard it was coming out,

Never Coming Home follows Lucas Forrester, a man who didn't really have a problem with his wife, other than he needed her gone.  Told entirely from the villain's perspective, which is so odd because you find yourself rooting for him (at least I did).

I found myself rationalizing his actions which is... odd to say the least.

At about the 60% mark I got to the point where I just could not stop reading, and the same thing happened with YWRM.  These stories just pull you in so tightly and don't let go until your closing the back cover wondering what happened to you.

I had an inkling of one of the bigger twists before it was revealed, but like normal, I wasn't bothered by this one bit.  I needed to keep reading to see if I was right and what other details were woven into the reveal.

I really need to dig into HMM's backlist one of these days because I'm sure I will love all of those books too.
Thrillers have always been my comfort books, and this is the perfect book to pick up if you need a palate cleanser.

Having read books by this author before, I knew going into her latest book that I'd at the very least enjoy it. While it wasn't a five star read for me, I really liked the story.

It's not often we get a thriller from just the husband's POV, so that was a welcome change. I thought the ending was a little too simple to guess, but in this case I'm not mad about it.

I wouldn't hesitate to read any of Hannah Mary McKinnon's books, knowing that they're an easy thriller to breeze through and enjoy.
This book is super creepy in the best way. It was a unique experience being in the head of the villain instead of the victim. The whole book was very thrilling but once I hit about half way I couldn't put it down!