Cover Image: Never Coming Home

Never Coming Home

Oooooh I really love and enjoy this unique psychological thriller.

It's a unique one, it's different from psychological thriller I've read so far, so it's really entertaining for me. The story is following Lucas, a meticulous clever con man while he's trying to get his money after he get rid of his wife, there's family affairs that he needs to handle while still pretending to be a devoted griefing husband that still hoping that his wife will be back to remove himself from the suspect list. Yup Lucas is THE bad guy, I understand why he did it but I also want him to pay what he did, some part I feel sad for what he's been through and other part I just want him to get caught, I want to slap the smugness from his face ahahhaha. There's no loveable characters in this book anyway, but that's what makes this book different and interesting.
As for the plot, I love it even though it's kinda predictable. There's also one thing that kinda unbelievable, but again it doesn't take away all the enjoyment.

Great unique psychological thriller read, so definitely highly recommended.
I was so lucky to receive an advance copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review and opinion.  WOW this book might be one of my favorite reads so far in 2022...does that tell you anything other than do yourself a favor and go read it asap!  This book will keep you guessing until the very end!
Never Coming Home is so much diabolical fun. I am questioning all of my morals because why did I find myself sympathizing with a murder?!

This was like Gone Girl in reverse but you are in on it the whole time, except you aren’t really in on it because there’s so much you don’t know. Lucas, the narrator, is the most reliable unreliable narrator of all time. Yes, you read that correctly. In the genre of stories told by unreliable narrators, he is by far the most reliable because he’s honest, brutally so. He’s clear about his unsavory intentions and actions, explains when and why he feels remorse, and makes exactly zero apologies.

If you like kind of twisted books with messed up characters or even just a good mystery, go get Never Coming Home immediately! RIght now. Go!

Conclusion
Seriously great writing from Hannah Mary Mackinnon that will keep you glued until the breathtaking end. So freaking satisfying.
Never Coming Home by Hannah Mary McKinnon will have you questioning yourself. This is an engaging domestic thriller, high in psychological suspense.

I really enjoyed this one, even with its darker content (murder, crime, addiction, etc.) It played in my mind like a movie, so vividly was each scene written. I enjoyed Lucas as the lead "villain" and while I had my suspicions early on as to who was behind his perfect plan falling apart, I didn’t quite see the end twist coming.
Holy wow! This was my first @hannahmarymckinnon book I’ve ever read and now I’m determined to read through her backlist 👀 it was incredible!

I will say it was a tad bit predictable, BUT- it was such a wild ride nevertheless. It was so much more complex than the ending I had predicted! I also really loved that it was told from the “villain” perspective, that was such a nice change of pace that I found myself really enjoying. Lucas’s layers were so intriguing to read about, just when I thought I had him figured out, something else would get revealed. It was just… such a wild book.

The character development was on point for this because you found yourself hating, and then starting to like, and then going back to hating, and then maybe loving Lucas? It’s so hard to describe without giving too much away, but his development was solid, as was Michelle’s!

This was a bit of a slow burn type thriller, IMO, a bit slow to start but once it got going it was impossible to put down. And that ending chapter… ABSOLUTE chef’s kiss 🤌🏼 so satisfying and left me with my jaw on the floor.

Thank you SO much @htpbooks for my gifted copy for review ✨ this definitely won’t be my last read from Hannah Mary McKinnon!
Never Coming Home by Hannah Mary McKinnon is  from the point of view of Lucas, a British man living in America. His wife Michelle has been missing for a month now. He is a grieving husband and has been taking care of his mother-in-law who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. He seems to be the perfect husband. Except for the fact that he paid for a hit on his wife and knows that she is actually dead.
It seems that Lucas has been working on a plan his whole life, a get rich quick scheme. A con man in the making  as a young person in England he saw his get rich quick ticket when he met Michelle. She is from a wealthy family. When they get married her dad insists on a pre-nup. That makes a divorce out of the question. The only way for him to get rich is to “get rid” of his wife. He hires somebody on the dark web to take care of this job for him. He thinks he’s in the clear until he starts receiving notes at home from somebody who says they know what he did. He has to run around and try to cover his tracks and try to figure out who is doing this to him. Is it the police? Is it the hitman he hired? Is it somebody else?
 I really enjoyed this book being from the point of view  of the villain. He was so likable and it sort of reminded me of the way that I really liked Dexter and cheered for him. There are many twists and turns to the story. I kept thinking I had it figured out and I really did not. This book was pretty fast paced and hard to put down. Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the advanced copy of this book. All opinions on my own.
This is the darkest book I have read in a long time. Definitely the darkest by this author.
It's told by the villain's point of view from start to dramatic finish. And believe me it has a great ending.

I kept trying to figure out all the way through this book who "Woods" was. Could he be someone we have met or just a random stranger. Is he the one who is freaking Lucas out or is he again just a random stranger. This book will keep you on the edge all the way through. Keep you wondering what is going on and who is doing what to whom. I did figure out a bit of it but I'm sure that is from reading mostly thrillers over so many years. I was shocked in so many places too and it's a great story. It's one you can see playing out as you read it. It was like watching a movie in many ways. I could actually feel the raindrops falling while speeding through the dark wet streets. The trees swaying while running through the woods. The dank stench of a cabin long deserted. Left to rot. Feel the wet earth below my nails as someone dug it up. The fear of seeing things that should not be happening. Wondering who is doing it. There are several people you can choose from too. But it's not exactly easy to figure out who is doing what and when.

I did not like Lucas at all. I did feel sorry for the young Lucas. After all he went through as a kid and a teen and getting involved with a crook, I can see why he turned out the way he did. After he sees what happened to his father, yes I can see it. I felt sorry for that kid. But the grown man no. He was the most conniving cold hearted person I have read about in ages. He wanted something and did all he could to get it. He was very greedy though and that greed may mess him up at times. He says he does hate his wife. But he never says he loved her at all. He didn't want her tortured. Maybe he had a tiny little piece of a heart in there somewhere. Maybe.

All the pieces fall in line and gives you an answer that you won't expect. It's great. It had me holding my breath. It made me smile. Honestly I was so thrilled with how the author made this one play out. And that ending... It was priceless. You'll use your imagination there also. Just imagine what happens. I loved it. Lucas reminds me of someone that I personally knew except for the dark web and the murder for hire part. The conniving. The using. The plotting. All of those things are Lucas. The title fits this book perfectly too. And that cover is gorgeous.

Thank you #NetGalley, #HannahMaryMcKinnon, #Harlequin for this ARC. This is my own true thoughts about this book.

5/5 HUGE stars and a high recommendation. You will love this one.
Never Coming Home takes us inside the villain's point of view, and what a villain he is. Lucas is arrogant in the extreme, but I suppose it takes quite a lot of arrogance to carry out the kind of plans he's made. Fair warning: if you have to like or have a connection with the character to enjoy the read, this probably isn't the book for you. That said, this one would be a good way to step outside the box because as despicable as Lucas is, the predicament he finds himself in as someone messes with his mind is wildly amusing. I did figure part of it out, but that really didn't impact how entertaining the story is - for one, I wanted to find out if I was right, and I really wanted to see if Lucas got his just desserts. I'm not elaborating on that part. You'll have to read it to find out, and if there's any question you'll want the answer to, it's that one. In the end, I think this thriller was as fun as it was twisted, and I enjoyed the read.
Twisted, sordid and bone chilling. Just when you think you’ve covered all of your tracks, you haven’t. A clever dark thriller to keep you up at night.

Watch my Amazon live with Hannah: https://amazon.com/live/broadcast/7ee11f33-172e-467d-989f-d5c8106df177?tag=erinmbransco-20&linkCode=ilv&ref_=social
All I can say is WOW! Hannah Mary McKinnon  is FABULOUS.

Not only does she give surprising twists, but she even has you rooting for the bad guys lol.

This book is about Lucas who has his wife murdered, but someone knows.  They begin to leave clues hoping he will unravel.  What ends up happening will leave you breathless.

My jaw literally dropped with this ending.  I didn’t see it coming at all.
Lucas wants money and theres only one way for him to get it, to have his wife killed. Its not that he doesn't like her, just the money more. And he is 100% sure of his plan and that he won't be getting caught.
Lucas thinks he has a fool proof plan but as weird things start to happen, someones telling him they know something. I found some parts slower with the inner monologue about how no one could know. There was were twists I didn't see coming but some I did. Overall this was a fun mystery. I loved seeing how the mystery person was messing with Lucas along the way.

Thank you to MIRA and Netgalley for my review copy!
A thank you to Netgalley for sharing the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

An interesting if not exactly original premise that kept me engaged for a while. However, after a while the story begins to lose its charm as being trapped inside the interior monologue of narcissit becomes increasingly wearisome to the point of fatigue - especially once your initial inklings about how the story is going to pan out becomes pretty apparent.
Hannah Mary McKinnon always writes the best crazy characters and insane endings! I wasn’t too shocked by the ending, but nevertheless, found it entertaining and enjoyable.
A very big thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for this advance copy in exchange for my honest review. Buckle up, you’re in for a treat with this one!

4.5 stars for this one! Big shoutout to the author from giving us Lucas’s motives and narrator viewpoint right off the bat - that was really smart so we can establish that yes, he is indeed a sociopath that thinks he has it all figured out. I had a couple theories throughout the book, and one of them turned out to be correct….sort of. That’s all I’ll say on that to avoid spoilers! The only reason it’s not a 5-star review from me is just because the back sorry of Lucas’s involvement with Mel and Bobby seemed a little drawn out, and I wasn’t sure it really added a ton with the depth it went into. However, go read this one if you like a thriller, especially a psychological one!

Thank you again NetGalley and the publishing team - this one was a treat.
Never Coming Home by Hannah Mary McKinnon is a thriller novel that in a way very much reminded me of You by Caroline Kepnes. Lucas Forester is not a serial killer like Joe but he has killed and is very hard to like but very easily pulls a reader into his story.

Lucas has eyed his wife Michelle’s fortune for years and has been playing a long game in order to get his hands on it. All of the planning and preparation has finally put Lucas in the perfect position when his wife goes missing. Luca plans to play the grieving husband perfectly and there’s no way that anyone could ever think Lucas has anything to do with his wife’s disappearance, or is there?

Perhaps it says something about me as a reader that I find climbing into the mind of a psychopath compelling and here I am again stating that fact. The story in Never Coming Home pulled me into it’s grasp quickly as I got to know Lucas and his dirty deeds. Don’t get me wrong, I did not like him in the slightest but I couldn’t look away as I waited to find out what would happen and if he’d get away with murder. Definitely an author I’ll come back to after finishing Never Coming Home.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.
From my blog: Always With a Book

Each summer I have come to look forward to having a new Hannah Mary KcKinnon thriller to read and let me just say I was definitely not disappointed with this latest one. How this sweet, kind lady manages to write such evil, devious characters I do not know, but this one is pure genius and I think it’s my new favorite!

One thing I love about McKinnon’s books is just how dark they are and this one takes the cake. Told completely from the villain’s point of view, I was all in! Lucas just gets under your skin and as much as you want to despise him for all that he has done – and believe me he does a lot that will have you strongly despising him – somehow, and I’m still questioning this – there were times I felt empathy for him. Yes, you read that right…I felt bad for this crazy sociopath but you have to read this book to find out why!

This book grabbed me from the start and I flew through it, unable to put it down until I finished it…and the twists were so perfectly played. While I had an inkling it was heading in that direction, I never saw it playing out the way it did and true to the darkness of the story, it really does come together just right.

I cannot recommend this book enough. If you love a good, dark thriller that just oozes with tension and a little dark humor, than this is definitely one to add to your summer reading list for sure. It’s one addictive, thrilling ride that will keep you flipping the pages.
Well my friends, McKinnon does it again! This is the fourth book I've read by this author and they just keep getting better!!

If it's wrong to root for a villian, then I don't want to be right...

Lucas Forester, what a character!!

Hires a hitman to take out his very wealthy wife. Has it all planned out, every single detail. Now to just sit back and wait for millions of dollars to fall into his lap...

HA! Are things ever really that simple?

This was a highly entertaining read. The ending was a bit ridiculous but I'm here for it!

Huge thank you to MIRA for my e-arc!
This book is all about Lucas Forrester and how he wanted more - and made certain he got it. To get his wife Michelle's fortunes, Lucas had to design a plan. All the while, as this book is delivered from his perspective, he watches his plan take place, fall into line, and slowly fall apart.

Lucas is brilliant - yes, he is quite sure because that is his opinion of himself. But, why the notes? Why the clue? One such note simply says: I KNOW. Who knows and how? He took a hit out on her. She is dead. He is sure of it. So, why can't he get away with it? In fact, he cannot figure out why he is being threatened and why he might possible have to give up precious money from the fortune he has been banking on.

Lucas is villian that you love to hate. You KNOW he is a bad guy, but, heck, he is funny. His expressions made me laugh out loud, making this intriguing book far from as dark as it could be, although we know he did something to his wife.

That ending though.... Yeah, that ending. Shocker of shockers, that is for certain.

Many thanks to MIRA and to NetGalley for this ARC for review. This is my honest opinion.

Please also enjoy my YouTube video review -

#FirstLine ~ The steady noise from the antique French carriage clock on the mantlepiece had somehow amplified itself, a rhythmic tick-tick, tick-tick, which usually went unnoticed.

Wow, this book was amazing. I was not sure what was going to happen or how it would end. It was intense and so well paced. What a rollercoaster. I will not soon forget this book. It would make an amazing book club pick!
” Good things happen to those those who make them happen… and than wait for the payoff. Mine was on its way. “

This was definitely a twisty one. This entire book is written in first person from Lucas’ POV which was fun since he’s the “villian” He was such an easy character to hate. I will say I had a hard time getting into the story… it was a little slower in the beginning but once the problems started happening it definitely picked up. I also found it hard to focus since there want much dialogue. Even though I saw the ending coming, the way Hannah wrote it was witty and super fun !! Loved it !! Definitely read if you loved Gone, Girl!!!

Thank you NetGalley, MIRA and Hannah Mary McKinnon for and advanced readers copy of this book !