Cover Image: My Wife Is Missing

My Wife Is Missing

This book was a very fun and twisty ride. Theres secrets going on that you have no idea which way the book is going to turn.
I really enjoyed this book! I could not put it down! I was surprised at some of the twists and turns. It is a must read! I would definitely recommend this book!
This was my first book by DJ Palmer and although I got off to a slow start with it, I ended up buckling up for the ride as they say. This story is about two people whose marriage is being strained from both directions. They decide to take a much needed family vacation to New York and soon the story starts to pick up steam as the husband's life starts to unravel. His wife and kids go missing and it's soon apparent that they may have left on their own accord... but that is where the twists and turns begin. I ended up liking the overall story although I couldn't get myself to connect in any way to Natalie, the wife in the story. I look forward to trying another DJ Palmer book in the future!
D. J. Palmer’s newest novel My Wife is Missing is an absolute hit. I was on the edge of my seat during the twenty-four hours it took me to devour this book and I loved trying to stay on top of the twists and turns weaved into this storyline. Michael Hart goes to pick up pizza during a vacation in NYC, returning to the hotel to find his wife and two kids missing. Security footage reveals they left willingly and are several steps ahead of Michael.  Natalie, Michael’s wife, has severe insomnia. She’s discovered secrets from her husband’s past and proof of infidelity, but her lack of sleep has made the details a little blurry.  I loved that Palmer keeps readers guessing which character is authentic and just when you think you’ve figured it out, another secret drops. This was my first of Palmer’s novels and I’m definitely a fan. For long time fans or new readers, My Wife is Missing should not be missed!

A sincere thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This was a fun thriller. The red herring was a bit too out there. I still enjoyed the book. Not terribly original but an enjoyable, quick read.
What a fantastic page-turner! This one was completely unguessable for me; the unexpected plot twists had me gasping and frantically flipping pages. Days later, I’m still thinking about the meticulous plotting and execution that kept me on my toes.

It’s fairly obvious within pages that D.J. Palmer knows the hallmarks of a great plot. He piqued my curiosity and raised questions that I needed answered. I couldn’t put the book down without satisfying my desperate ‘need-to-know’! I loved that each of his characters had purpose and motivation. There were no filler characters or actions. The different timelines and shifting points of view were cohesively linked, added to the tension, and allowed me to get inside the heads of both Michael and Natalie Hart. The thriller was well-paced and the threat was ever-present. What stood out for me was Palmer’s ability to keep a tight reign on the two core elements of plot; change and the unexpected. It was the success of this thriller.

Natalie Hart’s disappearance and her husband’s quest to find them was an exhilarating adventure, worthy of my investment. I will be pursuing Palmer’s backlist.

I was gifted this copy by DJ Palmer, St. Martin’s Press, and NetGalley and was under no obligation to provide a review.
I’ve seen this one a lot! @djpalmerauthor is very popular, and for good reason.

I actually ended up doing this one completely as audio. I found it pretty easy to follow, but did have to rewind the end to figure out what exactly had happened. The narrator did a great job, and although it was a fairly long audiobook it felt like it flew by. This is my third by @djpalmerauthor and I feel like I’ve liked every book and they keep getting better! This one kept me guessing, I don’t think I was able to figure out one thing! If you liked @djpalmerauthor previous books or domestic thrillers I think you will enjoy this one!

Thank you @stmartinspress and @macmillan.audio for my audio and physical copy and the cute bear!
From the very beginning the author captured my attention and with every turn of the page he had me more and more engrossed until I didn't know who I was rooting for and what was going to come next.

The author paints a vivid picture of a marriage gone wrong due to lies, secrets and miscommunications through glimpses into the couple's past. This, alongside the multitude of twists at every corner, led me to become invested, right along with Michael, in the chase for Natalie and the kids. I encountered all sorts of characters and discovered a myriad of secrets while re-examining my options with every event brought to the page. Back and forth I went until the very end. And I loved it all!
I really enjoyed reading this book by D J Palmer. #mywifeismissing kept me guessing until the last page and I can’t wait to read another book by this author. The setting, characters and dialogue felt very believable and there was nothing that didn’t move the story along. Thank you to #netgalley and the publisher for this to read and review—the review is my own.
A family vacation turns into a nightmare for Michael Hart when he discovers his wife and two children have disappeared from their New York City hotel room. He fears they've been kidnapped. Michael's frantic search to find them takes a shocking turn when he discovers that his wife, Natalie, appears to have left quite willingly, taking their children with her. The police want to know why, and so does Michael. But there may be a reason why Natalie ran, something Michael can't tell the police -- the truth about his past.

While untangling his deceptions might be the key to locating Natalie, Michael knows it could also be his undoing. To find his wife, he must now turn to the one person capable of exposing all that he's been hiding. Natalie thinks she has Michael all figured out and has hatched a plan to escape from him permanently. One detail, though, threatens to derail her efforts: sleep -- or more accurately, the lack of it. Since the moment the shocking revelations about her husband came to light, Natalie's insomnia has worsened to the point that she now suffers from delusions.  But who can she trust when she can't even trust herself?

This book was a true phycological thriller.  It's gripping and intense and I did not want to put it down!  It's an absolute rollercoaster and I want everyone I know to read it.

Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.
My Wife is Missing by DJ Palmer
Each one of DJ Palmer’s books is better than the last! This is such a good, twisty, unexpected story.  This book will keep you up late reading.  You think you have it figured out, but you are wrong!!  What is the saying?  “What a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive.”  Or something to that effect.  Or “the truth will set you free”.  Well, “keep your friends close and your enemies closer”.  Settle in my friends because you are gonna be up late reading this one.  You won’t want to put it down!  Don’t say I didn’t warn you.  Enjoy!!!
𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐢 𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐞𝐰 𝐨𝐟 𝐌𝐲 𝐖𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐌𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠:
𝐆𝐞𝐧𝐫𝐞: domestic psychological thriller
𝐓𝐫𝐨𝐩𝐞: its ALWAYS the husband
𝐏𝐮𝐛. 𝐃𝐚𝐭𝐞: TODAY! May 10th, 2022
𝐌𝐲 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫 𝐑𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠: 4.5 stars
𝐆𝐨𝐨𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐬 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫 𝐑𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠: 4.29!!!

𝐐𝐮𝐢𝐜𝐤 𝐒𝐲𝐧𝐨𝐩𝐬𝐢𝐬:
A family vacation turns into a nightmare when Michael Hart’s wife and kids go missing. As we end out more about why his wife, who has been struggling with insomnia, is on the run, and why he is chasing her, we learn that Michael is not who Michael says he is either

𝐌𝐲 𝐓𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐬:

A domestic thriller I actually liked! And the ending caught me completely off guard! WOOHOO! I still think I like the Perfect Daughter more (if you haven’t read it, do it. It’s his book that he published last year) but this one is completely binge worthy and well worth your time if you enjoy, (or in my case even if you don’t,) domestic thrillers.

NOTE** I love how D.J Palmer always includes a well researched and accurately portrayed medical syndrome or disorder in one of his main characters. He always does a wonderful job of protecting the ‘patient’ and respecting the disease!
I had read a few of D.J. Palmer's novels and enjoyed them, so I listened to the audiobook for My Wife is Missing via my local library. I enjoyed the twists, turns, and uncertainty quite a bit. Chapters alternate with past and present events, and it was quite a ride. The ending took me by surprise, which is always fun.
This one had me hooked from the start and had me guessing til the end. Twists and turns I didn’t see coming. Thanks to NetGalley for the privilege to read and review this book.
I have read all of his books so this one was a must read, at first I thought it’s just not grabbing my attention like his other ones did but what a total surprise ending-never saw it coming at all !!! This one has family drama, lots of lies, good friends and horrible friends. So many things I really liked about this book, D J Palmer definetly knows how to write great stories. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC!! #MYWIFEISMISSING
Reading Between the Wines book review #36/135 for 2022:
Rating: 3 🍷 🍷 🍷
Book 📱 🎧: My Wife is Missing
Author: D.J. Palmer
Genre: General Fiction (Adult) | Mystery & Thrillers
Available now!

Sipping thoughts: When insomnia not only takes your restful nights but also your peace could be quick blurb for this book. Natalie cannot shake the feeling that her husband, Michael, is a danger to her and her kids so she takes them and run. My favorite part was the cat and mouse game Natalie played with Michael. I could not determine if Michael really was a bad guy or of Natalie was just driven crazy by her sleep-deprived mind. The reveal of what happened in a whole new mystery created within the mystery of why Natalie ran left a little to be desired in my opinion. I like the method in which Palmer writes as it always has me wanting more. I cannot wait on the next book release.

Cheers and thank you to @StMartinsPress and @NetGalley for an advanced copy of @MyWifeIsMissing.

#MyWifeIsMissing #DJPalmer #StMartinsPress #NetGalley #advancedreadercopy #ARC #Kindle #Booksofinstagram #readersofinstagram #bookstagram #nicoles_bookcellar #bookworm #bookdragon #booknerd #booklover #bookstagrammer #bookaholic #bookreview #bookreviewer #IHaveNoShelfControl #ReadingBetweenTheWines #fiction #thriller #suspense #mystery #MysteryAndThrillers #GeneralFictionAdult
Michael Hart is happy to be taking a vacation to New York with his family, it's A Mich needed get away.  When he returns from picking up supper on the first night and finds his family missing he is terrified something bad has happened to them.  After searching Michael soon learns that his wife might have taken the children and left on her own.  He doesn't understand why and wants answers, the police do as well.  Michael has a past that he doesn't want to tell the police about and wants to keep.it just there in the past but what if it has something to do with why his wife left?  Follow along and see if Michael can find his family and come to terms with a past he would much rather not remember.  This was an intriguing read with a ton of twists and turns!
My Wife Is Missing by D.J. Palmer is a high velocity, page turning thriller you don’t want to miss. Natalie and Michael are struggling in their marriage. They decide a quick family vacation with their children, Addie and Bryce, to New York City may be just what they need to reconnect. But that is where everything changes. Their family vacation quickly turns into a nightmare when Michael returns to the hotel with pizza and finds his wife and children are gone, and his son Bryce’s teddy bear on the floor in the hallway…which he is never without. Michael becomes frantic, his family is missing, he knows something sinister has happened, they were kidnapped. But as Michael and the police start to investigate, they soon realize. Natalie has left willingly, and has taken the children with her. Now it is a race against time to find them. Why did Natalie run? The police are trying to figure out what would make Natalie leave, and the person with those answers are Michael. But Michael can’t say what it was in his past that Natalie may have uncovered. To make matters worse, Natalie suffers from insomnia, which only exacerbates her inability to decipher the truth vs. what are delusions.

As the story unfolds, Michaels secrets are exposed, and are worse than what Natalie ever imagined. This all began with Natalie thinking Michael is having an affair, but she quickly realizes there is something much bigger from his past, and there is nothing she wouldn’t do to keep her children safe, even if it is from their own father.

I really enjoyed this novel. It is fast paced, well developed and has many surprises. I sometimes found myself getting slightly confused when the chapters switched to “Before she Disappeared”, there was some repetition that I found boring, but there was still a need to find out what these big secrets were. There was a lot of discussion about Natalie’s insomnia, but I didn’t feel it was the driving force of Natalie’s running away, but I could have missed the point of it somehow. The ending will blow your mind, I admit I completely missed the mark on this one. I thought I had it all figured out, but it was just a few pieces of the puzzle, so I certainly appreciated the surprise ending.

I would like to thank Netgalley, St. Martin’s Press, and D.J. Palmer for an advanced reader copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review. I have to admit, I am a huge fan of D.J. Palmer, I have read every one of his books, and enjoyed all of them. He is definitely a solid, consistent author.
"The devil again, perched upon his shoulder. He knew. The past was something Michael carried with him, even when he forgot it was there. His mind flashed on an image sourced from memory, one of blood and gruesome cuts to a body, of eyes open wide but seeing nothing. It wasn’t over. It would never be over."

Michael and Natalie are at a Times Square hotel with their kids, a short vacay from their life in Boston. When Nat had suggested it, Michael jumped at the chance. Healing was needed, not just for Natalie’s too-persistent insomnia, but for their marriage. She had been sure Michael was having an affair, despite his persistent denials. He is hoping she is ready to try patching things up. She sends him out for pizza for the family at a local emporium, but when he returns the family has vanished like a Manhattan parking spot. He does what one might do, but the detectives show him hotel video of Natalie and the kids making tracks. No alien abduction this time. His wife has done a runner. The question is why?

The book follows two characters Michael, as he tries to figure out what is going on, and Natalie in two timelines, before leaving and after, on the run. So three threads to keep straight. Not a challenge.

Secrets abound. Michael has a large one from his past. Natalie has put together a theory, which reflects poorly on Michael and informs her desire to flee. And then there is the murder to consider.

Palmer give us plenty of fodder to munch on. What is that scar on Michael’s arm? Was it really from a bicycle accident when he was a kid? Why does Michael have no family other than Natalie and their kids? Whose long hair was it that Natalie found on his clothes one night? But the Michael we see seems a pretty decent, if flawed, guy, eager to get his family back, and Natalie has some issues. Her insomnia has become severe and persistent. Has her grip on reality suffered from this? Has she become paranoid?

We see in the looks back how Natalie came to think what she thinks. We do not get a lot from Michael’s history side until near the end.

The supporting cast is fun. A detective who is looking into the recent killing attaches himself to Michael when he goes looking for his family. We presume his intentions are less than benign, as he keeps ramping up his questioning. But Michael really wants to find his wife, and the access a detective has to otherwise unavailable resources makes it worth putting up with the guy being fixated on him as Suspect Zero. Natalie has a bff at work. A company investigator from her work spices things up briefly, and a young attractive sort at Natalie’s job passes on through for a while, is exposed to Natalie’s fears, and steps way back.

The tension builds and builds, as we keep hoping to find answers, but when we get them they arrive with a fresh set of questions. The pace sustains at frenetic, and there are severe twists aplenty, which make sense and are satisfying, however jolting.

I was not all that smitten with the leads here. Michael should not have been so secretive with Natalie about his past. And he should have been much more honest about other things as well. Natalie is ragged, which makes her concerns at least somewhat suspect. She may be right or she may be wrong, but it is a bit tough to get fully on board for her. It is possible she is suffering from paranoia., but just because you’re paranoid, that does not mean that they are not really out to get you.

This is only my second book by this author. One thing I preferred about The Perfect Daughter is that there is informational payload in that one about an unusual medical condition. My Wife is Missing is straight up thriller/mystery, payload-free as far as I could tell. It works fine as that, but I do prefer novels that add in some extra, educational material to give them a bit more heft.

This is a perfect beach read. It sustains a page-flipping pace while offering the sorts of twists and turns that make it a fun journey, without demanding to much deep thought. You may go missing for the few hours it will take to read My Wife is Missing, but we know that you are sure to be found.

"He couldn’t be in any picture that risked going viral, and certainly couldn’t tell his in-laws why."

Review posted – May 20, 2022

Publication date – May 10, 2022

I received an ARE of My Wife is Missing from St. Martin’s Press in return for a fair review, and sticking around. Thanks, folks, and thanks to NetGalley for facilitating.
My Wife Is Missing by DJ Palmer is this author’s newest release and.. OMG. I am floored. Again. Every other book that I’ve read by this author has been an easy five star read for me but this book? It was insane.

My Wife Is Missing is one of those books that keeps you up through the night trying to finish it, that makes you anxious when you’re away from it because you just need to KNOW. This book had me reading at work when I really should have been helping my co workers, it had me trying to read in the car (I was a passenger I’m not that crazy) even though reading in a moving car makes me car sick & I could not let it go until the very last scary movie gasping moment.

From beginning to end this book had one surprise in store for its readers after another and while I could describe the surprises it contains, I can’t recommend it enough that you go blindly into this book & discover all the plainly insane things like I did.