Cover Image: The Golden Couple

The Golden Couple

Excellent. If the goal of a mystery-suspense novel is to keep you guessing almost till the bitter end, this one definitely delivered. While many readers, myself included might be tempted to say they "saw it coming", I think it's fair to say, the guessing who didn't mean you had any idea why. And that's what makes a psychological suspense great as opposed to simply 'good'--you need to maintain curiosity until the very last page.

I think this writing duo has managed to figure out the secret sauce to successful writing collaborations, because I've liked everything they've done together. The two separate POVs by two very different female protagonists is a genius way to deal with the issue of two distinct voices. It worked exceptionally well here.

So, the set up is this: a outwardly perfect couple-Matthew and Marissa Bishop-present themselves in the office of a maverick marriage counselor, because one of them has had an affair. The counselor has a daring promise to her clients--10 sessions and she will fix whatever ails you. The Bishops however, have problems a lot more multi-layered and complex than they appear to, as does Avery Chambers, the counselor, and the key to the Bishops' problem just might also unlock a solution for Avery as well.

This is one to read when you're in the mood for something fast-paced and twisty without being ridiculous. I listened to the advance audiobook from NetGalley, and liked the narrators a lot. The voice for Avery was perfect, conveying in tone and tenor that she is a no-nonsense, independent and capable woman. Marissa's voice actress was good as well, but her voice had a somewhat brittle quality that grated at times. Still, there was something fragile about the character, to perhaps brittle was called for.

Recommended if you like psychological and domestic suspense, and women's fiction. This had strong elements of those genres, well-blended.
This was almost a 4 star review. The first two thirds of this novel were riveting, fun, addictive even.

I am not sure I am satisfied with the conclusion, though. Yes, it's a twist. Yes, it makes sense... I just found it kind of... Like *wiggles fingers* "see-what-we-did-there?"

Still, I liked this a lot more than The Wife Between Us, and, like I said, for the first two thirds of this, I had a BLAST with it.
Marissa and Matthew are the perfect couple! High school sweethearts, beautiful son, gorgeous home, lucrative jobs…they seem to have everything. Until, Marissa makes a confession of infidelity to Matthew in the presence of their therapist, Avery.

Avery is a therapist who previously lost her license due to her questionable methods. She has an unusual 10 session plan for her clients. As she works with Marissa and Matthew to save their marriage she realizes that someone is hiding a secret, but she is not sure who.

Told in alternating viewpoints between Marissa and Avery, a tale of twisted deception gradually unfolds and leads to a staggering conclusion!

My thoughts: This story had me enthralled from the beginning! It is a slow burn which starts out as domestic suspense but soon moves to thriller status as secrets start to unfold. I did not predict the startling ending! The narrator does a great job bringing the story to life. Her voice fit each of the characters and added to my enjoyment of the story. I highly recommend this book if you enjoy twisty psychological thrillers!

This book will be available in both print and audio on March 8, 2022 . My thanks to NetGalley and MacMillan Audio for the opportunity to listen to this book in exchange for an honest review.
First off, I really enjoy Hendricks and Pekkanen. I also like psychology and novels about the ins and outs of a relationship. Avery is an ex psychologist practicing a protocol to help her clients make their lives change. Marissa and Matthew are a married couple, successful in their work but struggling in their marriage. Marissa seeks out Avery’s help and the story takes off. I loved the multiple side stories going on. It added that extra bit of spice. There were many events that I didn’t expect and I love that. This was great to listen to. Somethings are not what they seem, remember that.
Thank you to NetGalley for an advanced audio copy of this book.

I was blind until close to the end. I had some suspicions and one part of the story confused me. Is it the husband? The ex with ulterior motives? The assistant? We’re they all working together? I just did not know. It was tied up nicely and I was really happy I found a thrilled that had me surprised!
The narrative makes this propulsive twisty thriller come alive with each read sentence.  An engaging look at a couple ingrained with the past and how easily a relationship can spital can come alive.   Utterly engaging and required reader for thriller lovers!
Unpopular opinion alert! This one disappointed me. (Which is a huge shock to me because An Anonymous Girl still reigns as one of my favorite most memorable reads.) I just wasn't juicy enough for me. Again, unpopular opinion because other reviews thought the twists and turns were delicious. I mean, I followed the twists. And they were definitely unexpected. But I guess I just wasn't quite interested enough in Marissa and Matthew. They were kinda bland to me. Now, Avery? I was all in with Avery. What I really would have like was a book about Avery and her other clients...Finley, Skylar. Those clients were interesting and juicy to me. But Marissa and Matthew weren't  golden....they were so vanilla.
As usual the writing was beautifully done. The mystery was a fantastic build. The ending twist was a great shock. Not at all what I expected. I just really didn't care about M&M as a couple so I didn't really care about how it turned out in the end.
But these two authors, I will go back to again and again. For sure. They always keep me guessing.
5 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
I would definitely be recommending this book to readers on my Instagram bookstagram account.
The Golden Couple by Greer Hendricks; Sarah Pekkanen was a high quality mystery with a dose of thrill! This book was not a on the ‘edge of my seat’ thriller but it was a complex story that escalated and came to a wild end. I absolutely loved the main character, Avery. She was dynamic, bad ass, and strong. I loved how the book relayed her thoughts. If you’re a fan of domestic thrillers, check this one out!
I really enjoyed this! It pulled me out of a reading slump 👏 This author duo is an auto-buy for me so I had a feeling I’d enjoy this. And when I saw it was about a therapist, I was even more excited! I’m always interested in seeing how therapists are portrayed. Avery was written well and it seemed like Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen put good effort into making her realistic and believable.

This book was really fun to listen to - there were 2 narrators so it made the listening experience much easier to understand and follow.

Definitely recommend adding to your 2022 TBR!

Pub date: 3/8/22

Special thanks to NetGalley, Macmillan Audio, and St. Martin’s Press for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
#TheGoldenCouple was a fresh take on a well-known domestic thriller trope that kept me guessing literally until the last word was spoken. Marissa and Matthew seem like the perfect (golden) couple, but have more secrets than we can count. The least of which is Marissa’s infidelity confession she makes as they embark on this 10 step program to fix their marriage.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀
What made this refreshing for me is how intricate and interconnected the main characters were with all of the side characters. Everyone is connected, it’s just not obvious how. The narration was also stellar, which can make or break an audiobook!

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀

Thank you to @MacMillanAudio and @Netgalley for providing an audio review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Goodreads: @TheWyseLibrarian
Instagram: @TheWyseLibrarian
I looooove this author duo but this book missed the mark for me. The characters are very well developed and the book is well written, I just didn't care for the plot unfortunately.

The narrator's did a lovely job. Karissa Vacker and Marin Ireland are two of my faves in the industry, so their voices were a delight to hear.
When Hendricks and Pekkanen write together, I know the book will be a winner. This one did not disappoint. On the surface, Marissa and Matthew seem to be the perfect golden couple. During their first appointment with unconventional therapist their picture-perfect facade starts to fall away.

The characters are intriguing and the plot sucks you in quickly. This book kept me on my toes. I love when books have side stories and this one does it really well.

The narration added to this story. There were two different narrators and it made the book so much more engaging and easy to follow.
Hendricks and Pekkanen and definitely the dynamic duo! Their newest book is a captivating mystery that keeps the reader second guessing from start to finish.  Marissa and Matthew Bishop are the Golden Couple.  Together with their son, Bennett, they live a seemingly perfect life.  That is until Marissa makes a total error in judgement and can’t live with herself afterwards.  With the help of an unlicensed therapist, Avery, she hopes her marriage and all that she holds dear can be saved.  If anyone can help them Avery can with her 10 step session guarantee ... BUT ... is Marissa being completely truthful even now?  With a side story of an unscrupulous Big Pharma company that Avery’s involved in and several red herrings along the way, this is a book you won’t want to put down for long!  Nice touch on the audio using different voices for Marissa and Avery.  They worked perfectly!
I was pleasantly surprised by this one and went into it knowing very little.  The synopsis doesn’t do this book justice.  It was much more of a suspenseful thriller than I prepared myself for and I couldn’t put it down.

Avery Chambers is an unconventional therapist, but the true storyline really lies with Marissa and Matthew Bishop.  As their story goes between past and present, it unwinds in a way that I didn’t see coming.  I finished the audiobook in a day and a half.  I truly couldn’t stop.

Some parts of the story are a bit unbelievable, but I guess that’s just what “stories” do sometimes.  I really liked Avery’s character and would love to see her story continued.

Thanks to St. Martin’s Press & Net Galley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.  I would definitely recommend this book to anyone that likes a bit of suspense!
Avery's tactics for her patients can be questionable, but in this case the patients make their own questionable choices.  Marissa and Matthew's marriage needs work, but somehow Avery gets in a bit over her head this time.  With a few different plot lines I wasn't sure who to trust and who was involved or wasn't.  This is just the type of book I love because I can't predict it and I can just enjoy the ride!  The two narrators were perfect for the characters in this audiobook!  Highly recommend this book by the duo Hendricks and Pekkannen!
This story is not your typical mystery.  There’s no dead body or traditional crime to solve.  But that doesn’t make it any less suspenseful.
 Having lost her license, Avery Chambers is no longer bound by the regulations imposed on other therapists.  She has created a 10 session approach to “fixing” people.   It’s unconventional, to say the least. She delves into her clients' lives in a big way.  But people sign up to work with her, based on the success stories.
Marissa Bishop has seen the WaPo story about Avery.  She signs up herself and her husband, Matthew, after she cheats.
The book has dual storylines.  The first is Avery’s and includes her backstory, even detailing previous and other existing clients.  The second is Marissa’s and we quickly learn she is still keeping secrets.  I often find books with dual storylines are unequal and I’ll care for one more than the other. But not here.  I was equally engaged with both women.  While Avery initially came across as prickly, her adoption of Romeo put me in her corner.
The book moves at a fast pace and there’s lots going on. In fact, it made me realize how quiet and stable my life is.  These two ladies have issues in spades.
I kept finding excuses to read/listen to one more chapter.  It’s fun, convoluted entertainment.  Not at all believable, but what the H***. I loved that the authors totally caught me off guard.  I had no clue how Marissa’s story would play out.  I had figured out Avery’s.
The audiobook employs different narrators for the two main characters and both did a fabulous job.
My thanks to Netgalley and Macmillan Audio/St. Martin’s Press for an advance copy of this book.
Another fantastic novel by these two talented authors! The Golden Couple is a must read. Such an addicting thriller full of secrets and mysteries, this book will definitely keep you on edge from start to finish. Highly recommended!
First off, I quite enjoy a deliciously suspenseful book that doesn't involve violence against women. The Golden Couple was well-narrated and it was hard to put down. Interesting story and characters. I just decided I need to go back and listen to their earlier books!
This book was incredible!!!! I was intrigued from the very beginning. It had the perfect amount of love, suspense, mystery, and some plot twists! I like to think that I am very good at guessing what can happen in a book, but I was proved wrong in this one. I listened every chance I got and finished in just a couple of days, which is not the norm for me when it comes to audio books. I loved it!!