Cover Image: The Bodyguard

The Bodyguard

4.5⭐️ rounded up

Center is one of those great authors that I will always auto-read. This book was just as great as her others and I can't wait to see what she writes next.

What I loved:

1. The banter and wit in this one was great!

2. I loved all the well developed characters (and side characters) of this book and how much dimension they added to this one.

3. This fake relationship was done so well and had me feeling all the feels.

Definitely give this one a read!
I'd like to thank Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for providing this Ebook for an honest review.

Probably one of the best books I've read this year. I loved that Hannah was a female body guard. I loved how Hannah grew into herself in this book. She was all about the job and really didn't show a lot of emotion. I found this book to be funny, at times heart wrenching, and I loved the twist at the end that I was not expecting.
All the stars!

I really, really loved this book. It was hilarious. Center had me literally laughing out loud with her vibrant dialogue and quirky sense of humor. This book was the perfect mixture of funny, serious, heartfelt, and as stated by many before, pure sunshine.

For my romance junkies, there’s plenty of things we love. Fame trope (my personal fave)? Check. Only one bed? Check. Fake dating? Check. WHAT MORE COULD WE ASK FOR?

Jack Stapleton is my new obsession. Y’all go read this book!
Hannah Brooks is married to her career as a bodyguard. She is fully dedicated to protecting her clients and has no time for fun or love. All that changes when she is assigned to protect her former teen heartthrob Jack Stapleton. Jack has a stalker and a secret. To keep Jack safe Hannah is forced to pretend to be in a relationship with him and from there sparks fly.

In this book Center develops two flawed characters who together let their guards down and find a way to be who they truly are by facing their demons in order to move into their happily ever after. This book really resonated with me because I saw a lot of myself in Hannah (no fun all work!).
4.5 Very entertaining.

Imagine you are a petite woman bodyguard for high profile clients, you get dumped by you boyfriend (who is also your coworker) and you happen to be assigned protect a leading actor, but instead of protect, you have to pretend to be his girlfriend. Falls within the fake dating to lovers troupe, but written in a very cheeky way. The whole premise was pretty far fetched, but thats okay, I don't read fiction for every story to feel believable, but entertained and The Bodyguard delivered. This book had me laughing out loud at so many parts, which I always consider a big positive. I could VERY easily see this adapted into a Netflix movie, one that I would happily watch.
Katherine Center is an auto-buy for me. She writes the exact combination of drama and romance that a reader will tear through the story and then be destroyed that the book has come to an end. The Bodyguard was excellent and I will recommend it to patrons and friends.
“The Bodyguard” synopsis drew me in with its refreshing premise but I soon came to realize it was too good to be true (like everything else in my life). The read felt juvenile, the storyline/plot was a snoozefest, the characters were awkward AF, and based on their behavior—I kept forgetting they were adults. I had to re-read the synopsis to make sure I didn’t pick up a YA/NA romance novel.

Additionally—the characters were very one-dimensional and I struggled to connect with either Hannah or Jack. As a bodyguard, Hannah did a whole lot of standing around and being walked all over by her boss, ex-boyfriend, ex-best friend, and hell—even Jack. Where was the ‘tough guy’ exterior that is supposed to come with being a bodyguard? Poor girl wasn’t born with a backbone. Honestly, I was far more intrigued by the corgi stalker than anything else.

And I can’t fail to mention that the ‘romance’ left much to be desired. This bland Wattpad wannabe Hallmark movie was altogether a waste of time but if you’re a masochist like myself—10/10 would highly recommend it!
I loved this book! The chemistry, the twists, the way Katherine Center pulls you into the story are all reasons you NEED to read this book. This book makes you laugh, cry, and never want to put it down. I also loved how the characters didn't "fit" the typical stereotype of their professions. I can't wait until her next book :)
I love Katherine Center’s books and this might be my new favorite. I loved the gender reversal and Hannah Brooks’ whole vibe. Loved the family dynamic and how it wasn’t perfect. There was just enough mystery and thrill, too! Overall, it warmed my heart and I would definitely reread this one. I listened to the audiobook too and it was perfect!
Katherine Center is an auto-read author for me. She has a way of writing characters that are so real and authentic. The reader can’t help but root for them, even side characters. I am emotionally attached to her stories the same way I am with CoHo books.

Hannah is hired to be Jack’s bodyguard. When she signs up for the job, she doesn’t know she will end up having to move in with his family on their Texas ranch. Center blends a romance storyline with personal growth (for both our MCs) so well. Hannah and Jack are both fighting against their public personas.

Recommended if you like:
-fake dating
-bodyguard trope (duh!) but gender-norm flipped
-Texas ranch setting
-forced proximity
-one bed
-closed-door romance
-slow burn/tension to the max
-badass FMC
-banter
-family healing

TW: car accident, drowning, alcohol abuse, family death, grief, cancer, family estrangement
So far my experience with this author is that she writes sickly sweet and a tad dramatic romance but I adore it. I loved the fake dating scene in here and Hanaah is a BOSS at her job. The two of them really balance each other out and I had so much fun reading about them getting to knwo each other. I do have a review up on youtube for more thoughts, but this one was a top romance for me and gave me all the butterflies!
Rating 5/5
Plot 5/5
Spice 1/5
Writing 5/5
Character Development 5/5

[I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book]

“The Bodyguard” by Katherine Center is a contemporary women’s fiction novel that centers around Hannah Brooks and Jack Stapleton. Hannah is a bodyguard and works for an agency team that takes on wealthy clients that need security. The story begins with a series of unfortunate events (from Hannah’s mom passing away to her boyfriend who happens to also be her coworker breaking up with her). Hannah’s boss tells her that she should take a break and when she returns a month later Hannah is given a new job in Texas protecting Jack Stapleton, a popular movie star, who has a stalker. Jack has returned home as his mother is ill. Jack has a bad history with his brother and doesn’t want his mom worrying about his stalker situation so he doesn’t inform his family that he has a bodyguard. In order to keep Hannah around without being questioned, Jack poses that the two pretend they are a couple. As they work together and put on this act, they begin to have feelings for one another.

THIS BOOK!!! The fake dating trope is easily 12/10! I love the plot and thought it was super unique! I loved the characters and enjoyed reading about their growth throughout the novel. I loved how Jack was written because even though he’s famous, he still remained humbled and just like a “regular person”. There aren’t spicy moments or spicy chemistry in this book that's why I said it's 1/5 on the spice meter. That being said, the book is still a light and fun rom-com! Overall I loved this book and can’t wait to read more from Katherine Center.
Can you say the right book at the right time?  I loved this book.  It isn’t a new idea, but it is done well with a slight twist.  Hannah is not what you’d think of as a bodyguard.  She’s neither big nor male, but she is observant and smart and she’ll tell you it is easier to nip a situation in the bud before it happens.  Jack is a movie star that is off the grid.  So of course as she is contracted to protect him, they would fake date.

I connected with the characters and felt their insecurities.  And the thing I need most in romance, I rooted for them.  Anyone needing to step away from reality and fall in love with the characters they are reading about will love this one.
Katherine Center completely traumatized me with her book How to Walk Away. Thankfully for me I believe everyone deserves a second chance. I really didn’t know what I was getting into with this one other than I was hoping the female lead would be a badass.

Quick summary: Work obsessed, Hanna Brooks is a professional bodyguard. Her mom has just died, her boyfriend has not only broken up with her BUT he also slept with her best friend. Let’s just say poor Hanna is at her lowest. Just when she’s hoping to leave on a new work assignment and sees the light at the end of the tunnel she’s disappointed AGAIN! Hanna will be staying on assignment in town and her new client is a beloved by all Hollywood Star with some serious stalkers…I mean fans.

The storyline was engaging, light, fun and the characters were so lovable. Total hit for me, I gave this one 5 STARS!
👫🏻 The Bodyguard - Katherine Center

4 ⭐️ - am I late to the game on this one? Maybe, but even so, I very much enjoyed it! It was fun, lighthearted, and a little exciting and mysterious.

Hannah is a bodyguard and is assigned to a big shot hollywood star, Jack Stapleton. When she is assigned to pretend to be his girlfriend in order to protect him, she is forced spend all her time with him and his family without falling for him…

This is your classic, feel good, rom-com. There were lots of “fake” lovable moments, Hannah and Jack have consistent banter and sarcastic conversations, and eventually grow to enjoy each other’s company. I really really enjoyed this one. I was frustrated with some points of side plots and feeling like they were irrelevant but overall, really great. Definitely add it to your list if you’re a hopeless, fun loving, romantic person or reader!
Loved Katherine Center's latest: The Bodyguard - another one of her female heroine specialties!  Center's books are always an uplifting read while navigating a romance and life.  Excellent read!
Another amazing book by Katherine Center!!!
Jack Stapleton is a movie star who steps out of the spotlight when his brother is killed. When he needs to return home to help take care of his mother who is receiving cancer treatment, his team wants to hire a bodyguard to protect him from crazy stalkers. Reluctantly he hires Hannah, who acts as tough emotionally as she is physically. She’s just buried her mother and been dumped by her boyfriend.
Well, I think we all know where this story goes after this…. But you need to read and find out for yourself. The story was funny, charming, and heartwarming. I will read anything Katherine Center writes in the future!

Thank you #netgalley and #stmartinspress for and advanced copy of #thebodyguard in exchange for an honest review.
Hannah isn’t what you’d expect from a bodyguard, or an Executive Protection Agent, as she would say, but she’s good at her job. However, doing her job well proves to be difficult when she’s hired to protect famous actor Jack from a stalker. Jack not following protocol makes things hard enough, but when he says that he doesn’t want his family to know about the stalker or the bodyguard thing, it proves to be her most challenging assignment to date.

The Bodyguard was not what I expected when I picked it up, but I was thoroughly entertained from start to finish.

Most of the characters were lovable, well developed, and had good character growth arcs. Hannah was strong and no-nonsense, and Jack was fun-loving and outgoing. They were complete opposites, but together they were charming and had great chemistry. I also loved Jack’s family. However, the antagonistic characters lacked dimension, and it felt like they were caricatures rather than fully fleshed-out characters.

I also did not particularly like how Jack’s neurodiversity was handled. He mentions his ADHD once, and it’s never really brought up again, nor does it come through in his characterization other than him being outgoing. It ends up feeling like a throwaway detail.

Although the plot and the characters were a little over the top, The Bodyguard was a fun ride with twists and turns to grab your attention the entire time. It’s a perfect lighthearted summer read.

Thank you, NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press, for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I own many Katherine Center books, but this is the first one that I actually read and I loved it so much!!! The characters were so wonderful and this story can only be described as a warm hug. I enjoyed everything about this book and I highly recommend it!
I wanted so badly to love this. Things We Save in a Fire is one of my all time favorite books. But while that book was hard-hitting while also still managing to be light and fun in a lot of places, this just felt like pure fluff. I couldn't connect with any of it. Fake dating and celebrities are some of my least favorite tropes and I wanted to give it a chance, but this just was not for me.