Cover Image: The Bodyguard

The Bodyguard

Katherine Center is an auto-read author for me. She has a way of writing characters that are so real and authentic. The reader can’t help but root for them, even side characters. I am emotionally attached to her stories the same way I am with CoHo books.

Hannah is hired to be Jack’s bodyguard. When she signs up for the job, she doesn’t know she will end up having to move in with his family on their Texas ranch. Center blends a romance storyline with personal growth (for both our MCs) so well. Hannah and Jack are both fighting against their public personas.

Recommended if you like:
-fake dating
-bodyguard trope (duh!) but gender-norm flipped
-Texas ranch setting
-forced proximity
-one bed
-closed-door romance
-slow burn/tension to the max
-badass FMC
-banter
-family healing

TW: car accident, drowning, alcohol abuse, family death, grief, cancer, family estrangement
So far my experience with this author is that she writes sickly sweet and a tad dramatic romance but I adore it. I loved the fake dating scene in here and Hanaah is a BOSS at her job. The two of them really balance each other out and I had so much fun reading about them getting to knwo each other. I do have a review up on youtube for more thoughts, but this one was a top romance for me and gave me all the butterflies!
Rating 5/5
Plot 5/5
Spice 1/5
Writing 5/5
Character Development 5/5

[I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book]

“The Bodyguard” by Katherine Center is a contemporary women’s fiction novel that centers around Hannah Brooks and Jack Stapleton. Hannah is a bodyguard and works for an agency team that takes on wealthy clients that need security. The story begins with a series of unfortunate events (from Hannah’s mom passing away to her boyfriend who happens to also be her coworker breaking up with her). Hannah’s boss tells her that she should take a break and when she returns a month later Hannah is given a new job in Texas protecting Jack Stapleton, a popular movie star, who has a stalker. Jack has returned home as his mother is ill. Jack has a bad history with his brother and doesn’t want his mom worrying about his stalker situation so he doesn’t inform his family that he has a bodyguard. In order to keep Hannah around without being questioned, Jack poses that the two pretend they are a couple. As they work together and put on this act, they begin to have feelings for one another.

THIS BOOK!!! The fake dating trope is easily 12/10! I love the plot and thought it was super unique! I loved the characters and enjoyed reading about their growth throughout the novel. I loved how Jack was written because even though he’s famous, he still remained humbled and just like a “regular person”. There aren’t spicy moments or spicy chemistry in this book that's why I said it's 1/5 on the spice meter. That being said, the book is still a light and fun rom-com! Overall I loved this book and can’t wait to read more from Katherine Center.
Can you say the right book at the right time?  I loved this book.  It isn’t a new idea, but it is done well with a slight twist.  Hannah is not what you’d think of as a bodyguard.  She’s neither big nor male, but she is observant and smart and she’ll tell you it is easier to nip a situation in the bud before it happens.  Jack is a movie star that is off the grid.  So of course as she is contracted to protect him, they would fake date.

I connected with the characters and felt their insecurities.  And the thing I need most in romance, I rooted for them.  Anyone needing to step away from reality and fall in love with the characters they are reading about will love this one.
Katherine Center completely traumatized me with her book How to Walk Away. Thankfully for me I believe everyone deserves a second chance. I really didn’t know what I was getting into with this one other than I was hoping the female lead would be a badass.

Quick summary: Work obsessed, Hanna Brooks is a professional bodyguard. Her mom has just died, her boyfriend has not only broken up with her BUT he also slept with her best friend. Let’s just say poor Hanna is at her lowest. Just when she’s hoping to leave on a new work assignment and sees the light at the end of the tunnel she’s disappointed AGAIN! Hanna will be staying on assignment in town and her new client is a beloved by all Hollywood Star with some serious stalkers…I mean fans.

The storyline was engaging, light, fun and the characters were so lovable. Total hit for me, I gave this one 5 STARS!
👫🏻 The Bodyguard - Katherine Center

4 ⭐️ - am I late to the game on this one? Maybe, but even so, I very much enjoyed it! It was fun, lighthearted, and a little exciting and mysterious.

Hannah is a bodyguard and is assigned to a big shot hollywood star, Jack Stapleton. When she is assigned to pretend to be his girlfriend in order to protect him, she is forced spend all her time with him and his family without falling for him…

This is your classic, feel good, rom-com. There were lots of “fake” lovable moments, Hannah and Jack have consistent banter and sarcastic conversations, and eventually grow to enjoy each other’s company. I really really enjoyed this one. I was frustrated with some points of side plots and feeling like they were irrelevant but overall, really great. Definitely add it to your list if you’re a hopeless, fun loving, romantic person or reader!
Loved Katherine Center's latest: The Bodyguard - another one of her female heroine specialties!  Center's books are always an uplifting read while navigating a romance and life.  Excellent read!
Another amazing book by Katherine Center!!!
Jack Stapleton is a movie star who steps out of the spotlight when his brother is killed. When he needs to return home to help take care of his mother who is receiving cancer treatment, his team wants to hire a bodyguard to protect him from crazy stalkers. Reluctantly he hires Hannah, who acts as tough emotionally as she is physically. She’s just buried her mother and been dumped by her boyfriend.
Well, I think we all know where this story goes after this…. But you need to read and find out for yourself. The story was funny, charming, and heartwarming. I will read anything Katherine Center writes in the future!

Thank you #netgalley and #stmartinspress for and advanced copy of #thebodyguard in exchange for an honest review.
Hannah isn’t what you’d expect from a bodyguard, or an Executive Protection Agent, as she would say, but she’s good at her job. However, doing her job well proves to be difficult when she’s hired to protect famous actor Jack from a stalker. Jack not following protocol makes things hard enough, but when he says that he doesn’t want his family to know about the stalker or the bodyguard thing, it proves to be her most challenging assignment to date.

The Bodyguard was not what I expected when I picked it up, but I was thoroughly entertained from start to finish.

Most of the characters were lovable, well developed, and had good character growth arcs. Hannah was strong and no-nonsense, and Jack was fun-loving and outgoing. They were complete opposites, but together they were charming and had great chemistry. I also loved Jack’s family. However, the antagonistic characters lacked dimension, and it felt like they were caricatures rather than fully fleshed-out characters.

I also did not particularly like how Jack’s neurodiversity was handled. He mentions his ADHD once, and it’s never really brought up again, nor does it come through in his characterization other than him being outgoing. It ends up feeling like a throwaway detail.

Although the plot and the characters were a little over the top, The Bodyguard was a fun ride with twists and turns to grab your attention the entire time. It’s a perfect lighthearted summer read.

Thank you, NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press, for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I own many Katherine Center books, but this is the first one that I actually read and I loved it so much!!! The characters were so wonderful and this story can only be described as a warm hug. I enjoyed everything about this book and I highly recommend it!
I wanted so badly to love this. Things We Save in a Fire is one of my all time favorite books. But while that book was hard-hitting while also still managing to be light and fun in a lot of places, this just felt like pure fluff. I couldn't connect with any of it. Fake dating and celebrities are some of my least favorite tropes and I wanted to give it a chance, but this just was not for me.
4 out of 5 stars.  If you ask me, I'll tell you to read it.

The story of a female bodyguard protecting a reclusive Hollywood actor, while posing as his girlfriend for his family.  I had a lot of fun reading this one.
Vibe: Miss Congeniality

This doesn’t have a ton of depth to it, but it’s sweet/cute. VERY rom-com-y.
I absolutely LOVED this book. I laughed, I cried, and I had a goofy ass smile on my face reading/listening to it. I thought the book was written so well.

I loved Hannah. She was relatable to me..well kinda! I really enjoyed her character. She'd gone through stuff and still gave it her all. And Jack, what can I say about Jack? He was such a sweet guy. Plus I'm a sucker for a guy in glasses.

The story was predictable, even with the other characters. I called things from the very start, but I still enjoyed the book. It was a great beach read. I think the narrator did a great job. I look forward to reading more from this author.

Thank you to Macmillan Audio and St. Martin's Press for the ebook and audio in exchange for my honest review.
I loved this book so much! This was a top read for 2o22. Don’t sleep on this book, it’s excellent. I couldn’t put it down. I finished this in one day. This was my first Katherine Center book and it will not be my last. I definitely recommend this if you want a warm fuzzy feel good romance.

Things I loved:
▪️Some of My favorite Tropes in this…Fake Dating and Forced Proximity!
▪️The writing style. How Hannah was directly talking to the reader. I felt like I was part of the story.
▪️ Every time ‘Bobby’ (haha) humiliated himself or was cut down to size 👏🏻 PURE JOY!
▪️I loved that Hannah was scared of a certain animal…ME TOO. I’m terrified of them as well so I felt her pain 😅
▪️ This book was filled with so many laugh out loud moments, I cackled out loud a few times. Jack was seriously hilarious, lol.
▪️The ending …super awesome. I didn’t see that coming 👀

Thank you to netgalley for this #arc in exchange for my honest review.
Katherine Center has done it again! This laugh out loud romcom was perfect for the summer season. I loved it so so much.
The best way I could describe this book is wholesome. I really enjoyed it from start to finish, even though Hannah did bother me at times. It was a joy to read overall, and I already can't wait for Katherine Center's next book!
Once again, Ms. Center has created a delightful world full of great characters, fun and interesting situations, and the right amount of chemistry to keep the reader turning the pages. I thoroughly enjoyed the tension, sexual and otherwise, between Hannah and Jack and I was totally immersed in their drama.

The Bodyguard is a book you can lose yourself in to escape the real world for a bit. I loved it as I have loved all of Ms. Center's books. And now... I have to wait for her next one. That is always so hard. But seriously, I know you will love this book too!
4 stars.  A little outside of my normal "go to" reading but I'm glad I did. I laughed and enjoyed this read a lot.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for letting me take a peek at an early copy. My views are my own.
Such a cute rom com! I fell in love with the growth of all the characters. Hannah is a to the eye innocent woman but could defend even the man with the biggest ego and body. Then comes Jack Stapleton a handsome, insanely famous actor who is in need of her help professionally. Soon they find themselves living together and faking a relationship while he attends to his moms health along side his brother who holds a deep hate toward him for ruining their family through the tragic accident of their brothers death. Hannah and Jack soon connect more than they thought they ever would and you follow their journey while she protects him from a crazy stalker. What could really go wrong! Pick up a copy today! This book is hopeful, cute and a must read in the rom com world.