Cover Image: With Love from London

With Love from London

This book quickly made it ti one of my favorite stories, The story was told with so much emotion…it made me laugh, it made my cry and it made my souls smile. It shows us that love will always find a way and that there are so many important types of love. Soulmates, love of your children, love for your friends and that things happen for a reason. It broke my heart the way Eloise and Valentina where separated but I loved they way they where brought back together!
What a wonderful story!
Thank you to Random House and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

With Love from London by Sarah Jio is a contemporary fiction novel with a splash of romance that will appeal to lovers of bookshops everywhere.  The story revolves around 35 year-old Valentina, who has recently divorced her husband and learned that her estranged mother Eloise passed away.  However, she also learned that her mother left her a cozy apartment in London and a bookshop, The Book Garden, as well.  Valentina leaves her life in America and travels to the UK. Along the way, we get flashbacks to Eloise's past in the 1960's. What will Valentina discover in London about her mother's life as well as her own?

Here is a humorous excerpt from Valentina arrives at the bookstore and meets Millie, her mother's best friend:

""Well then," she says, a little startled. "As the expert that you are, I expect you'll be displeased with the way I've been running this bookstore since your mother's health declined. Go ahead and tell me what you have in mind. Don't beat around the bush. What is it? A new computer system?" She pressed the back of her hand to her forehead dramatically. "Online ordering? Some social media nonsense? Bookstagramming? Lord help us all."
Clearly, she's never seen my account, @booksbyval. I grin, deciding to take the humorous approach. "Ever considered book deliveries by drone?"
...
"I'm only kidding," I say. "About the drones.""

Overall, Without Love from London is a cozy, heart-warming novel about book-lovers and perfect for fellow book-lovers.  As the author wrote in the foreword to the book, this book is really a place to go when you want to disappear from the dangers and horrors of the real world.  The author says that she escaped into this novel during COVID, and I felt that that was a perfect description.  This book is the perfect book to sink into after a long day at work or when you're trying to relax.  When I was reading this book, I felt like I was transported into a wonderful, beautiful new world, and I didn't want to leave.  If you're intrigued by the excerpt above, or if you're a  book-lover looking for an escape, I highly recommend that you check out this book when it comes out in February!
I read this book today and really enjoyed the plot lines. The characters were great and likeable. I love reading about librarians and anything that has to do with bookshops really excites me! The story made me teary eyed and I really enjoyed it!!
Sarah Jio is an automatic read for me, one of my favorite authors! I felt in some ways this was similar to her other book "Goodnight June" which is one of my favorites of her. But it was also a really different story with a different setting. I liked the interweaving of Eloise and Valentina's stories. Valentina is hurting and dealing with grief from her divorce, her mother's death and still trying to figure out why her mother left her all those years ago.
Eloise's story is ultimately heartbreaking, but does have a great amount of beautiful happy moments.
The Book Garden is a place I would want to visit! Such a lovely book about family, love, friendships, and new beginnings.

Thank you NetGalley and the Publisher for this ARC!
I loved the story of Val going to England to reconnect with the memory of her mother. Eloise takes her in a scavenger hunt of her life with most of the clues being found in bookish areas. Deeply moving storyline filled with wonder and hope in London.
The characters, were lovingly portrayed, and the story was enjoyable, loved this book! There was love, forgiveness and second chances. I love a story especially if it involves books or a bookstore. To have it also set in London is the icing on the cake.
With Love From London was a sweet story that shows the impact of a place, in this case a struggling bookstore in London, and a group of unfamiliar people coming together to heal life's disappointments. The story revolves around Valentina, a Seattle librarian suffering the end of her marriage and Eliose, her recently deceased British mother who deserted her long ago. This was a well written contemporary novel, well paced with richly drawn characters. I didn’t really feel there were any surprises reading the book, all the plot elements play out just as the summary informs us and the ending was predictable. However what made this book so enjoyable was that the characters felt believable and the descriptions of London and the bookstore just made me want to move there.  3.5 **/5
A dual timeline, a bookstore, AND London? Sign me up for this.

With Love From London is told from the perspective of Valentina, a librarian and book lover in the present day, and from the perspective of her mother in the 1960’s. I really enjoyed so much about this book- but in the end many of the characters fell flat for me- and the relationships were so…. BIG so fast, and it ultimately felt like I was reading a hallmark movie- but hey I’m into that and it made for a great, quick read.

(Rounded up from 3.5)
I was so excited to learn Sarah Jio had a new book coming out- I’ve read all of her previous books. This book did not disappoint! I almost always love a dual time line book, and this one with a daughter in current time learning about her mother in her time line was great!
Characters were well developed, I especially liked the side kick Liza! And I mean a lot of it takes place in a book store, what more could you ask for!
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my honest opinion- which is - go read this book!
This book was pretty predictable but that doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy it. I love books set in London and I really liked the dual storylines although I was frustrated that Eloise didn’t try harder to find her daughter. I did like the bit of romance in it but the mystery of who the book belonged to was pretty telegraphed from the beginning. Overall it was a fun, if very predictable book.
It’s such a  well written, refreshing story; of love, second chances, optimism, hope and most importantly second chances at life. I absolutely love the main character, the setting, word building, description of the locations. It’s so heartfelt that at times it left me sobbing, so it was very hard for me to put it down after finishing it.

So in a nutshell, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and being in Valentina’s world.

Also, thank  you so much NG and Random House/Ballantine, and NetGalley for the arc in exchange of an unbiased and voluntary review.

-> The review is immediately being posted to my GR, Twitter and Bookbub accounts, also it would later be up  to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication.
All the characters were really well written, the story really tugged my heartstrings. I enjoyed both story lines!

Rating: 3.5/5

Synopsis:

A librarian inherits a bookshop from her estranged mother, leading her halfway across the world on a journey of self-discovery that transcends time and honors the unbreakable bonds of love and family.

When librarian Valentina Baker was a teenager, her mother, Eloise, unexpectedly fled to her native London, leaving Val and her father on their own. Now in her thirties and fresh out of a failed marriage, Val feels a nagging disenchantment with her life--and knows she is still heartbroken over her mother's abandonment.

In a bittersweet twist of fate, Val receives word that Eloise has passed away, leaving Val her Primrose Hill apartment and the deed to a bookshop Val never knew she'd owned. Though the news is devastating, Val finds herself more determined than ever to discover who her mother truly was. She jets across the Atlantic, departing Seattle for a new life in charming London.

Slowly but surely, Val begins to piece together Eloise's life in the UK, falling in love with her pastel-colored flat, cozy neighborhood, and tucked-away storefront. But when she discovers that The Book Garden is in danger of going under, Val must work with its eccentric staff to get it in working order. In the process, she learns more about Eloise than she ever thought possible. And as Val races to save the shop, Eloise's own story unfolds, leading both mother and daughter to unearth revelatory truths

Thank you NetGalley for giving me an ARC!
I love any type of London themed novel as you would expect! This was a beau mother/daughter story which was lovely as I am very close with my mum. It was a search of self discovery and finding closure and answers: it was beautifully written and I enjoyed every moment.
Dealing with a painful divorce and notified that her long-estranged mother has died of cancer, Valentina leaves behind her librarian job in Seattle and travels to London to claim her mother's legacy--an apartment house and a quaint book shop. She has never understood why her mother, Eloise, abandoned her abruptly when she was twelve and didn't  respond to any of her letters over the years. As she gets to know Eloise's friends and tries to save the financially-strapped shop, she also begins to solve the mystery of her mother's life.

In alternate chapters, we follow Eloise through her early life as a wife and mother in Seattle and her later life in London. Seeing the story from two perspectives and in two timelines was particularly effective, helping the reader understand how both Valentina and Eloisa coped with trauma and disappointment in their lives and ultimately overcame them.

The protagonists, as well as the secondary characters, were lovingly portrayed, and the story was heartfelt and uplifting, although I was hoping for a bit more in-depth detail about the book shop.

My thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read and review this book.
I adore this author and was completely ecstatic when I received an ARC of her newest novel. I love the perspective she writes of both mother and daughter as her daughter tries to piece together her mother’s life when she packs up her old life and moves to London. Such a beautiful story.
Another good story from Sarah Jio. Born and raised in California, Valentina is surprised when she receives a call saying the mother she hasn’t heard from in many years has died and left her a bookstore in London. Having just gone through a divorce, Valentina takes the opportunity to get away from her life in California in hopes of leaning more about her mother, who she always believed left her behind. While unraveling the story of her mother’s life, Valentina falls in love with the bookstore and those she meets in her new neighborhood. The story is told in the alternate voices of Valentina and her mother. Sarah Jio always does a good job weaving the past and present with a few surprises along the way.
I loved this book! It was new, fresh and refreshing. There was love and family, hope, forgiveness and second chances. I love a great romance and when it involves a book store you just know it is going to have a little something extra special. There was a lot of character development and growth throughout the book which just keeps you engaged and enjoying the story and the process.
This is a story of a girl named Valentina who has recently gone through a divorce and is on her way to London because her mother (who she hasn’t seen or talked to since she was 12) has recently passed away. When she arrives Valentina finds a letter from her late mother with a scavenger hunt, Valentina’s mother left her a bookstore which is in danger of shutting down unless she can pay her tax lien. She teams up with her mother’s best friend and a new friend she finds in London to try and save the bookstore.

I loved this book so much. It was hard to put it down. This story tugged at my heartstrings. I enjoyed reading both storylines and how they each dealt with losing and finding love. Jio is a master of writing about romance.

4.5/5 stars!
With Love From London by Sarah Jio is a great contemporary fiction that genuine, heartfelt, and entertaining.

This was such a refreshing story. It is a story of family, love, misunderstandings, hope, forgiveness, and second chances at life.

Valentina (Val) Barker is such a great character. Traveling from the US to London to inherit property and a Bookstore from her estranged mother, she gets more than she bargained for. In this quest she finds more about her past, herself, and learning to love and let go in the process.

I really liked the descriptions of the locations and really enjoyed the pacing of the narrative.

A wonderful novel that left me uplifted after finishing.

5/5 stars

Thank you NG and Random House/Ballantine for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.

I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication.