Cover Image: An Honest Lie

An Honest Lie

This book kept me interested until the last couple chapters. I really liked the back and forth from the present to the past, even though the 2 stories didn't really come together in a satisfying way. The past and present stories I really enjoyed. The last 2 chapters were why I only 3 starred this book. The ending wasn't really surprising, but I won't give any spoilers.
I really enjoyed this twisty thriller and the cult aspect had me fascinated. I love when books incorporate past and present to tell the story and the eventual conclusion that arrives after a shocking timeline collision. The narrator Lauren Fortgang did an amazing job and really added another element to the experience.
This is the story of Rainy She is living in a close knit but small rural community Shes is a woman who never talks about her past Ever. She grew up or spent her preteen years in a clut that her mother got them involved in and didn’t know how to get them out. Back then she had a totally different name and it was Summer Hiwvernon a girls weekend in Vegas one of the girls is abducted When Rainy is contacted the person seems to know a lot about her secret past and claims to have the girl this book will keep you super engrossed in it I love how we got to see Rainy/Summers past  I thought it was very interesting to see the past time in the cult and I really couldn’t put this book down
I've enjoyed a few of the other Tarryn Fisher books that I have read but this one was not a fit for me. It seems that cults are a hot topic in fiction these days but I definitely know I'm not the reader for these titles. That being said, others, especially Fisher's devoted fans, will likely enjoy this one immensely.

The writing was clear and concise, however, the back and forth between past and presence and matching up old names to new names left me questioning who I was reading about and what storylines I was trying to follow. This book was sinister, dark, mysterious, and had some good twists that, like I previously mentioned will keep Fisher fans entertained.
Thank you so much to Netgalley and the publishers for this ARC in exchange for my honest review.

This book was unfortunately no something I should have read. I was very excited to read this for my YouTube channel but I was left feeling frustrated.

One thing I've learned while reading this book is that I don't really care for cults in my fiction. I don't know what it is but I don't care for it.
This book had many twists and turns. I would recommend this book and enjoy reading books by this author.
Tarryn Fisher has some of the best writing you can find in modern day. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of her published work to date. An Honest Lie was no different. While it did take a bit to pick up, it did have me captivated from the first chapter.

We get back and forth then and now chapters, narrated by our main character Rainy/Summer. We get the “then” chapters as flashbacks to her youth. The trauma she grew up enveloped in and how she escaped it. In our “now” chapters, we follow her during a weekend in Vegas gone wrong when one of her friends ends up taken and the events that unfold around it.

The book is packed with suspense as it unfolds in both periods in time, and I was on the edge of my seat the entire book. From cover to cover, as we meet both versions of Rainy/Summer, I was dying to know where the story was going and how it all ends. It was a great suspense, but just a bit slower paced.

I cannot wait for what Tarryn will come up with next!
I love Tarryn Fisher’s books because they are never clean and cookie cut. There is always some sort of darkness and grit, but they never go overboard. It’s always just enough. An Honest Lie falls in the psychological/mystery/thriller category where we follow Rainy, an artist and a New York transplant who relocated to Tiger Mountain with her boyfriend, Grant, and who struggles to fit into this new world.

Rainy has surrounded herself with women, some of whom she doesn’t necessarily care for, and who don’t necessarily care for her. When Grant convinces her to attend a girls’ weekend she focuses on a wild weekend and not the fact that she’s going back to a place she’s spent her adult life trying to forget. When Rainey awakens to a text saying her friend Braithe is missing and the kidnapper reaches out to her, she knows it’s time to face her past.

This story is told in present day and flashbacks. In the flashbacks we discover that Rainy’s mom, in search for a better life for them, reunites with an old friend, Taured. Taured has built his own community. A community which turns out to be a cult. We also learn that Rainy’s birth name was Summer. The flashbacks chronical the years Rainy and her mother spent with the cult, their plans of escape and the death/murder of her mother. Rainy’s escape was an act of betrayal to Taured, and unbeknownst to Rainy he has kept tabs on her over the years (even after her name changed).
Present day follows Rainy as she and the girls spend time in Vegas and leads up to Braithe’s kidnapping and the confrontation of Rainy and Taured, and the discovery of roles as to who she considered friend and foe.

I’m not a fan of flashbacks but these didn’t bother me much. I had trouble keeping track of the present-day storyline. Too many women to keep track of and I found myself going back to previous pages to remind myself who certain characters were. There were some scenes with all the ladies on Tiger Mountain that seemed to drag a little too long, and there were other parts such as when Rainy met her grandparents that seemed to get glossed over. When I finished, I went back to certain sections of the book for clarifications. Not that this makes a difference, but I had a hard time connecting the storyline to the title. There were plenty of examples of “omission of truth, so I guess that was the link. Anywho, this wasn’t my favorite Tarryn Fisher book, but it was a good read. You might want to tuck this one away for the summer as a beach read.

A phrase Taured repeated throughout the flashbacks, “The sins of the parents will be visited upon their children”.

It’s a phrase Rainy will never forgot, and creepily enough it’s one I can’t seem to shake myself.
I overall really enjoyed this book and thought all of the stories were very interesting on their own. Rainey was an interesting character but I felt that the backstory and the current story were a bit disjointed and there were a few parts where while they may have added to some minor drama, did not seem necessary to the plot. The thriller portion didn’t really happen until later into the book and then it felt kind of rushed. I was definitely hooked and it was a fun read still!
It was a bit busy in the beginning with too many character introductions. Had to skim read parts of the story, but ended up enjoying the general concept
Entertaining. I listened to the audio was was engrossed. I liked this one more than the last two by Fisher.
A very quick read. I started this in the morning and finished this evening. If you’ve seen “Keep Sweet” on Netflix there are a lot of overlaps. I liked this. It was interesting and easy listening. Would recommend.
Thank you HarperCollins Canada for an arc in exchange for an honest review!

This author wrote one of my favourite thrillers of all time… the Wives! I’m not sure much can top that as this book didn’t have me flipping the pages and gasping but it was a fast paced, entertaining thriller that intertwines family, cults and relationships into a dual timeline perspective. Overall, not my favourite from her but still one that I would recommend.
Thank you Netgalley for this ARC of An Honest Lie by Tarryn FIsher.

Rainy lives a quiet life on a rainy (ha, get it) mountain in Washington, quite the change from her busy artsy life in NYC.  Quiet except the group of women that Rainy has been gently nudged to befriend by her boyfriend Grant.  But it's all fun and games until said friend group invites you on a girl's trip to Vegas.  Introverted Rainy can't imagine anything worse, but Grant has already bought the plane tickets, and so she is going.  Rainy has a lot of reasons to not want to go to Vegas, and her past might be the biggest one.

What starts as a silly and fun girl's trip soon turns sour, and then scary when one of the ladies she is with starts acting strange.  Rainy knows that one day her past would come to claim her, but she never imagined how it would...

Ok, this was...fine.  I loved the backdrop, a foggy mountain, mysterious women, a protagonist with a past.  But it was all a little too foggy?  The story just didn't quite all piece together like it could have.  And the ending was a bit of a train wreck, which was unfortunate because the beginning had me sold.

I'm also really tired of reading stories that have thirty something year old women with all the depth and interest as a piece of tissue paper.  Can we not with the vapid women?  I get that some of them are, and I am always SOLD on a bachelorette party gone murder, but ugh.  I know that women talk about way more than who wants who's husband, and how good my spray tan looks.
Rainy was living her best life. She loved her boyfriend Grant, she had become a well known artist and had a new circle of friends. What more could she want? But an all girls weekend trip to Vegas!! Rainy didn't want to go to Vegas ever again. Grant had encouraged her to go, so she reluctantly agreed to go. This brought up her past. AKA Rainy, also known as Summer must face her demons from growing up in a cult. She must face her past and her worst enemy when one of her friends is kidnapped during the all girls weekend trip to Vegas. This book is dark and twisty. Thank you Netgalley for an advanced copy of An Honest Lie by Tarryn Fisher.
This is one of those books where the premise on the back cover does not give away the entire story that you'll find within the pages of the book.

I love Tarryn Fisher, but her books are either all or nothing for me. When I read the premise of this book, it sounded fine, but I anticipated that it would be "meh" to me.

But thankfully, I was wrong.

And there's one reason why: CULTS.

Why does I keep finding books that involve cults? I think it's my new obsession.

This novel jumps back and forth between Rainy's past and present, and it's the past that really intrigued me. Because Rainy's mom ends up getting them sucked into a cult, and although at first Rainy thinks it's a great place (and at a young age doesn't really understand that it's a cult) she eventually comes to realize how dangerous it is.

And that danger has found her in the present day, despite the fact that she has worked hard to distance herself from all of it.

So when her friend goes missing on a Vegas vacation, Rainy knows she's about to get drawn right back in.

I really enjoyed this book and was very pleasantly surprised. Totally a great summer read!
Tarryn Fisher's books keep me on the edge of my seat, racing for answers. These books never disappoint!
I was intrigued by this one because I love books about cults. I really enjoyed the dual timelines of now and in the past and the narrator was unreliable, which I love in thrillers. Unfortunately, this book fell flat for me. I thought it was way too slow with not much happening and I didn’t find it suspenseful at all. This one was a miss for me.

Thank you to HTP and NetGalley for an advanced copy in exchange for my honest review.
This is my first psychological cult thriller and I am feeling indifferent about it. It had an interesting premise about a religious cult situated in an old prison. However, it took me a while to finish and I felt like the dual timelines (then/now) did not connect together right away. I enjoyed the Summer storyline better and I thought it was more interesting than the present. It did picked up towards the middle but the ending was mediocre.

Thank you to NetGallery and to Harlequin Trade Publishing for my copy for my honest review
As someone who studied religion in college and looked into polygamous relationships, this book sucked me in. Although it is not the same, it was a cult that the character was brought into and taken advantage of. I was so interested in the idea of the cult and the process by which the character got out. The book switches back and forth from “now” and “then” until they finally merge at the end. Another great book by Fisher!