Cover Image: High Stakes

High Stakes

I really enjoyed this book. Thank you to NetGalley and publisher for the chance to read this ARC. Can’t wait for more by author!
This is the story of five women in a literary agency and how they cope with double standards, sexual harassment, marital problems, and abuse.  another good read by Danielle Steel, an intriguing easy flowing and fast read.  Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for a review.
High Stakes delivers a timely message for 2022. The book centers around several women who work at a talent agency. One of the owner’s of the agency feels he has the right to sexually harass some of the women there. In some capacity, the women are dealing with workplace issues. The #MeToo movement is at the forefront of DS latest novel. It’s interesting to see how some of the ladies process and deal with the sexual harassment they are facing. Unfortunately this is still in so many workplaces. I’m thankful for authors that choose to bring this crime to light. I think you will find yourself cheering for each of these women as they navigate their way through changes personally and professionally. Root them on as they seek to find resolution, peace and happiness once again. #NetGalley Thank you for the ARC.#HighStakes #MeToo
Interesting characters, a current topic (Me too), and Danielle Steel's easygoing writing style make this an enjoyable read.  Of course all the people are beautiful with perfect bodies and great careers - this is Danielle Steel after all!!  There's also a lot of repetition that is typical in her books.  Overall, though, this is an entertaining book with a predictable ending.
As five powerful women work their way up the corporate ladder in NYC, they must figure out how to perfect the work/life balance as they all enter new stages of their life. Working for a big name agency for both literature and entertainment, their lives are forever intertwined as they overcome the obstacles of life and love while making power moves at work. In the midst of this, scandals arrive and the “Me Too” movement hits too close to home as they realize they have more in common than they first realize. Follow Jane, Allie, Hailey, Merriweather and Francine as they try to help themselves, and each other, navigate life and come out on top.
Shenanigans at a publishing house..  Five women in different stages of their lives and careers are trying to figure things out.  Jane is a young woman with her first job.  Hailey, a widow is managing an important job and her two kids.  Allie is a 37 year old that cannot settle down with a man.  Merriwether is the CFO and having issues in her marriage because she is the breadwinner and her husband resents her.  Francine is an unhappy divorcee living hand to mouth b/c her ex will not help with child support.  Mix in a Harvey Weinstein situation and multiple boyfriends and there is definitely a story.

Light, given the me too aspects of this novel. Story moved along but was reasonably predictable.
I flew through this book this afternoon! Timely and engaging - Danielle Steel's novels always hit the nail on the head for me.  The characters are well developed and relatable, and I love that everyone got the ending they deserved. Can't wait for her next release! Thank you to #netgalley for the opportunity to preview #highstakes - High Stakes was exactly what l wanted to read.
I am so enjoying reading Danielle Steel books again.  ‘ High Stakes’ is an easy to read story that highlights the abuse of power and prevalent sexual harassment within the corporate world.  Although the amount of inter-office romances was a little far fetched, the Me Too storyline was interesting and believable.  I am looking forward to the next Danielle Steel book.
Jane Addison is a well-educated, single young woman who has just landed a plum job at a literary and entertainment talent agency in New York.  She is working with some very high powered women in demanding roles.  A total of five women are dedicated to their jobs and do all they can to do their best.  They are a combination of married, single, divorced, and widowed.

Two men run the company.  One man is a terrific boss and the other is a man who thinks women are there for him to entertain himself with.  His passes and groping of women in the office is well-known behavior and the women do their best to stay out of his way and ignore his passes.  But when Jane, as a new employee, is a victim of his crudeness, she swears that if it happens again, she will report him.

We see both sides of the women’s lives.  They are total professionals at work but they are also struggling at home with children and monetary worries.

I found this book to be really good.  It’s nice to see that sometimes office bullies, no matter what they do, get their just desserts.  This story was well-written and not in a feminist way.  It also shows that women are tough and can work at executive jobs and be wonderful mothers as well.  I was raised by a widowed mother with three children and she was a wonderful mother in addition to being a NASA early computer.

Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
High Stakes by Danielle Steele
 High Stakes is another masterpiece. If you like Danielle's Steele books you will love this one.

High Stakes is about the life of four women who works at a literary and entertainment company.  They all had a highly stressful job that was affecting their marriages or relationships with boyfriend. One of the most stressful things was having to deal with sexual harassment by one of the owners of the company. It took one woman to stand up to him for others to come forward to get others out of several years of dealing with a man who had no respect for women.

I recommend this 5 star book to family, friends and others through reviews and social media.

I received this complimentary copy from the publisher for a honest review. All thoughts and opinions are mine and mine alone.
I really enjoyed this book. showed the strength of women and their  ambition to do whatever it takes to obtain success.  A definite read for any one who loves danielle steels style of writing and how she devolps the characters and the story
As always, Danielle Steel’s books are ones you can’t put down, and “High Stakes” is not exception. Fast paced and well written this story about marriage, lust, love, honor, and success at all costs draws you in.
In this book, Steel examines a group of five women who work for a literary/entertainment agency in New York City. Each woman has a story of how difficult the struggle to have both a successful work life and a successful personal life can be for each of them.

While this story has been told before many times, Steel’s characters had such potential. However, she squandered that potential because she constantly told her readers how much each woman loves her job and wants to make her way up the corporate ladder and remain a part of her family.

Steel also failed to develop her characters deeply and so they were hard to tell apart. The reader may be taken out of Steel’s story long enough to try to determine which character is in the spotlight. There is a plethora of characters, including children, husbands, boyfriends, etc., all of whom complicate the story and Steel’s readers’ inability to tell her main characters apart.

If you’re a Steel fan, you may enjoy this book. However, if you are thinking about testing the Steel waters with this outing, you probably will be better served to read any one of her other books.

My thanks to Delacorte and NetGalley for an eARC.
Dramatic and addictive! Danielle Steel is a dynamo at digging into the heart of a character's surroundings and taking her reader deep into the foundation of every story she unravels. HIGH STAKES delivers with just the right amount of flair to catch the reader's attention while sinking us into the hearts of several characters and their combined stories. The start was a little slow until I got all of the characters down pat and then the pace picked up as one character after another revealed their secrets and turmoil. I was hooked from start to finish!

I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a story filled with emotional depth, situational drama and characters you find yourself rooting for throughout their story.
Really enjoyed reading this book.  The characters were very well-developed and the book was timely in the #metoo era.
High Stakes by Danielle Steel is an enjoyable escape from life.  New York City, the glamour and the reality, romance and heartbreak
This book and the characters in it focused on the Me Too Movement in the workplace.  It's about five women of different ages and lifestyles, working in the same literary agency and trying to deal with double standards, sexual harassment, and marital problems.

Jane Addison just moved to NYC after getting a job in a well known talent agency, Fletcher and Benson.  She has dreams of owning her own business one day and jumps into reading manuscripts immediately.

Hailey West is Jane's boss. She's a great literary agent and she's dedicated to each and every author she represents. She's a widower with three kids who had to go back to work when her husband died unexpectedly from a heart attack. Everyday she goes to work, she feels guilty for leaving her three kids in the hands of babysitters, but she has no choice.

Francine Rivers, also a single parent, who's main concern is how to make sure her kids have a good future. By doing so, she gave up a piece of her soul.

Allie Moore is the head of the talent side. She's single and loves working with the actors she represents. Her life seems to be drama free. Until she gets involved with an up and coming actor, and their relationship threatens her career.

Merriwether Jones is the CFO of the agency. She works while her husband stays at home with their daughter. But her husband begins to resent her and becomes jealous of her job causing friction in their marriage.

When Jane is sexually harassed and assaulted at work by the co-owner, Dan Fletcher, she won't put up with it like the others have. She immediately calls an attorney and Presses charges. What she never expected to happen was those who spoke up once she got the ball rolling.

A great read!
High Stakes presents us with powerful brave women juggling their very different personal lives with their careers, as well as men who in way or another jeopardize all they are striving for or have built. The tone of this book is unlike Steel’s previous novels, in my opinion. Protagonist women are still the focus, but the writing, content, and overall tone is not like her past books, but I was still captivated and fully engaged. I welcomed the change and am impressed that she can write in different styles. I truly enjoyed this book and loved everything that these women represent. Sure, some not so very wise decisions were made by some, but their grit and ambition were still intact. Triggers such as sexual harassment and abuse are prevalent throughout. I found the pub date to be very fitting - the same day as International Women's Day, a day celebrated across the world to mark the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women. Though there are sensitive topics, this is an empowering and important read.
Another good read by Danielle Steel.  High Stakes follows the lives of several women working at a publishing firm during the Me Too movement.  At first I had a difficult time sorting the women and their partners out but then they all fell into place.  Kudos to Jane, who was brave enough to disclose what happened to her as she was just beginning to settle into her new job.    Each of the women had issues to overcome and their paths were each interesting to follow.  Altogether an enjoyable predictable read.
Many thanks to Danielle Steel, Delacorte Press, and NetGalley for affording me the opportunity to read an arc of this just published book.
I really enjoyed this book. A story of five women who all meet at the company they all work at together. They are all in their own right fierce, career driven and just navigating today's Women's problems while in the workplace.
Great read and timely for the me too movement, love the way it was written about and handled by the characters.
I love reading Danielle's books always uplifting to Women and perfect timing that this book released today March 8th 2022 on International Women's day.
Thank you to Netgalley, Random House Delacorte press and the Author, Danielle Steel for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.