Cover Image: Grace

Grace

I was attracted to this book by its title, Grace. It is an emotional read where the birth mother and the adoptive mother battle against each other for Grace. However, it is an exceptional book.
I was looking forward to reading this as I enjoy books that cover difficult, emotional topics. But this was just lacking. I didn’t care for Amelia’s chapters which were slow and felt overwhelming with unnecessary details. The pacing in general was too slow for my taste which is why I couldn’t bother finishing the book. Like other reviewers, I’m also a bit disappointed that we don’t get any background into why Michelle didn’t even consider an abortion or address her decision not to get one, in any way. I also didn’t like the reasons for Amelia choosing to adopt-her character is written as being one of these adoptive parents who are incredibly selfish-thinking they deserve a child-rather than doing and understanding what is best for the adoptee (in this case Grace).
This could easily have descended into a schmaltzy tearjerker but it doesn't, not at all. Instead you have a considered exploration of 'don't judge someone till you've walked in their shoes'. Scott seems to be a talented writer, building on her previous book 'Patience' dealing with sensitive, emotive issues.
A very moving story.
Michelle is a young abused women giving her baby up for adoption to Amelia and Piers who are unable to have children after having a still birth and are fostering to adopt Michell`s baby
The process is a very long winded story and I didn`t know it was that long, and Michelle changes her mind after being befriended by a lady at the food bank who helps her change her circumstances.
The process is well told with some difficult subjects and you get to like both women and don`t know how it will end and who will get the baby.
Well worth a read

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an early review copy.

An emotional and very well written book. You couldn’t help caring for Amelia and Michelle.

The story covered some hard subjects like  neglect, drug abuse, domestic violence but sensitively

There was two sides to the story the young mum, feeling that she can’t give the baby a life it should have, and also of the other woman, who went through unhappiness in wanting to be a mother…
The unfolding of this story is heartbreaking. It is beautifully written with empathy and understanding of the situation. The characters are so real they jump out of the pages - two women whose pain is raw: one the birth mother, Michelle, and the other, Amelia, the hopeful adoptive mother.

Based on true stories, courtroom scenes, social services shortcomings and some very supportive individuals in the care system, the novel provides an insight into the legal process when an unmarried wayward girl at the time of her daughter’s birth decides to give her daughter up for adoption, only later to change her mind. She though is not the only person in the mix, as the father of the child decides he too wishes to care for his daughter. On the other side, we have the couple, Amelia and Piers the prospective adoptive parents, who have their own insurmountable problems.

The story flows nicely with some unexpected twists and turns, A fantastic, totally absorbing novel. My thanks to NetGalley and the publishers, Head of Zeus, for this advance copy.
This is quite a simple idea - both sides of a story following an foster to adopt relationship - Michelle the birth mother and Amelia, the foster mother who is desperate for her own child after a still birth.

It should come with some trigger warnings around drug use, miscarriage and abusive relationships but I really felt the tough subjects were handled really well. It felt equal parts gut wrenching and heartwarming as you followed the story.

Thank you for the chance to read this ARC.
As a Social Worker I have to say there is a lot of poetic licence used around the procedures and especially Court which was, while understandable from a story point of view somewhat infuriating from a professional point of view.

That said the book really captures the immense stress put on birth parents and foster to adopt carers. It gives a real look at the reality of people’s lives and I loved how it showed that abuse is not limited to one social class.

I really felt for Amelia and for Michelle throughout the book. They were both having to lay themselves bare, face up to the reality of their situations and fight for the child they both loved.

Grace manages to show the complexity of care proceedings (although as I say the way it works is not entirely accurate in the book).

I heart wrenching tale of love, forgiveness, abuse and hope.
I really loved reading grace it was both heartwarming and gut-wrenching, told from both  Michelle (the mother) and Amelia (the foster to potential adoptive mothers) point of view and really showcased all the struggles,  problems and emotions both women were dealing and conflicted with throughout the book. The author did a good job bringing to light some of the problems and issues with and within social services and kids in the system as a foster carer and someone whose brother was a foster kid turned adopted I felt this is a topic not talked about often enough and this book was a great preview into some of the issues families and kids go through.

4.25/5 stars
The plot for this book is interesting and not one I’ve really come across before, equally highlighting the perspectives of both foster parents and birth parents and the circumstances in which someone may put their child up for adoption.

While I was intrigued in following the story and appreciated that background was being provided, the pace felt far too slow for me - there were some chapters that would have worked well if they were half the size. There were also some situations that felt entirely far-fetched and soap opera-esque which very slightly hampered my enjoyment.

Overall, Grace is a book I’m glad I had the opportunity to read but probably won’t be particularly memorable for me.

Thanks to Head of Zeus and Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Not for me unfortunately. I struggled to get into it or connect with the characters so never finished it as a result.
I would like to thank the author, the publisher and NetGalley for allowing me early access to this book!

I’ve been in a romance binge read lately and I was looking for something focused on something other than the romantic part, so, when I read “Grace” was about adoption, I was absolutely sold.

Overall, it’ s an interesting book, showing both the perspective of foster parents and birth parents, and which reasons take someone to give up a child. However, for me, the development was too slow. I don’t usually appreciate slow books, and this one felt particularly slow. I understand what the author tried to do, showing Michelle’s growth and that Amelia’s life wasn’t perfect, money isn’t everything. But, as far as Amelia’s story was concerned, I felt there was too much that wasn’t relevant for the main plot. I loved Michelle’s chapters and found her story way deeper than Amelia’s, which, sometimes, just felt boring.

This review will also be available on my Goodreads account and Instagram account.
A wonderful follow up to Scott's debut 'Patience'. Nineteen-year-old mum Michelle, who has been through the care system, puts her baby Grace up for adoption. Amelia and her husband long for a family and their dreams come true when they have the chance to adopt Grace. But when Michelle decides she wants her daughter back, the courts have to decide which home is best for Grace, but only one woman can be chosen ... this novel is sensitively written and really tugs on the heartstrings.
I really enjoyed this book - both heart wrenching and heartwarming this was the perfect mix of true drama and hopeful uplit. I loved Michelle and Amelia and was gripped by their journey! And yes, I shed some tears at the end!
Bring tissues!  Michelle has just given birth - she is 19, a drug addict, living with her addict boyfriend, with no money for food and heating.   Amelia and Piers are desperate to adopt as they are unable to conceive.  Baby Grace is given to them to foster with a view to adopt as Michelle wishes to send Grace somewhere she can be safely cared for, having a life that she cannot provide.   This the story of the lead up the court hearing that will decide who Grace should live with forever,
What a fantastic read .The story is so good and so well written it grabs you from the first page. Michelle is a troubled young lady who was bought up in care and has lots of problems with an abusive relationship and drugs and when she gets pregnant she decides its best for her baby to give her up for adoption . There are lots of difficulties ahead and the characters are very believable ,with love, friendships and betrayals it's a testing time for everyone Involved and will Michelle be able to turn her life around and finally find happiness. I really recommend  this book a 5🌟read
What a fantastic book, heartbreaking in places and uplifting in others. A very emotional subject to deal with, it also makes a good point about people's perception of others, it was very interesting to see that 2 seemingly very different women were actually in the same situation. Well written and it was difficult to tell how it would end.
I normally enjoy stories set in small communities, with romance,a touch of humour and that certain feel-good factor. This story is not really anything like that, instead covering subjects that I've had no experience of including abusive, drug fuelled relationships and the desperation of trying for a baby. Initially I just dipped into it once or twice, but found that I was increasingly drawn into it. I really felt for both Michelle, the young mother, and Amelia, the prospective foster / adoptive mother to be. The way that a book affects me is what makes the difference between a 4* and 5* review - a story such as this that affects me emotionally and makes me consider how lucky my life has been certainly deserves the latter. Overall very highly recommended, just be prepared for some soul-searching whilst reading it.
I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley,however this did not influence my review of the book.
Nineteen-year-old Michelle gives up her baby after birth, having had a traumatic time in the care system. Amelia is desperate to have a baby after the pain of infertility. This is the story of the two women battling to get custody of baby Grace. I really liked Victoria Scott's first novel Patience because it was such a specific story and had links to the author's real life (working in the Gulf states, having a sister with the rare condition of Rett Syndrome) which overcame some of the minor weaknesses in its matter-of-fact writing. This to me wasn't specific enough and so there was less to latch on to. Unlike Patience, I did not feel compelled to finish it.
Highly recommend to anyone who is going through, or has been through the adoption process. This tale shows the process from a different angle. Highly recommend