Cover Image: Just The Way You Are

Just The Way You Are

I liked this book for what it was. A story about growth, connection, loving and leaving. But most importantly about having the courage to learn about who you are and what you need. This book had Mhairi Mcfarlane vibes, but with a bit more zing.

I've decided to give this 4 stars because I did enjoy reading it, and I love the way Beth Moran writes. I loved the character development and how we got to see so much life leaping off the pages.

At times I did feel a bit withdrawn, though it did not take away from my overall experience of the book. Would I read it again? Maybe? But most probably not. But I'm glad I picked it up this time.

ARC generously provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This was the perfect read for me, it had everything I wanted in it, great characters, a fantastic and uplifting and moving story line. Ollie is a teenager when she writes her Dream List of what she wants to have and do with her life when she is older, fast forward several years later and she is unhappy. She has no one to come home to apart from her way too protective parents that just do her head in. She wants to break free so she decides to go for it and change her life for the better. Once she has grabbed the bull by the horns she decides to complete her Dream List but will the other things fall in to place and will see find her happy ever after? I really felt a connection with Ollie and wanted her to achieve her dreams, I was rooting for her all the way. It was such a joy to read and I would rate it higher than five stars, and recommend it to everyone.
This book was absolutely lovely and I enjoyed it immensely.
Not only was Ollie very likable and relatable, the side characters were just as fun to read about and they all contribute really well to the story.
Ollie’s progress was very fun to read about; how she fails but gets back up again, how she gets in some really stupid situations. At some parts I laughed out loud! Nesbit (the dog) was so cute!!
I also really related to her because of her job. She works for an organisation that helps illiterate adults to learn to read, and as a speech therapist myself that was very interesting!! The organisation is also based on a real one, so it’s definitely good that it gets some attention this way!
But not everything was as happy. The book definitely tackles some harder topics as well, like poverty, drug/alcohol addiction, … Leanne and Joan’s storyline was often really heartbreaking and made me tear up a couple of times. I’m so happy they found Ollie and I’m so happy Ollie found them.
And then of course there is Sam, the love-interest. It’s definitely a slow burn, and usually I don’t really like those, but there’s so much going on in this book, the romance doesn’t take the spotlight, which I really liked.
There are some more side characters that I really loved, like Irene (the Library Lady) and Ebenezer and all of Ollie’s clients.

The writing style was really fluent. We only read from Ollie’s first-person perspective. The pacing was variable. At times, it was really fast and I couldn’t put the book down, at other times, especially the more emotional parts, were medium-paced.
What did struck out to me, Ollie definitely didn’t read like she was almost 30-year old. Often she came across as someone in her early 20’s, but maybe that’s because of her moving out only now? I did relate to her though, so I didn’t mind that.
to summarise
This was a super-enjoyable feel-good book that tackles some harder topics as well. It reads very fluent and I really liked all the characters and the plot!
I enjoyed this book. The plot was well paced and the characters were well developed. I would enjoy reading additional works by this author.
Just the way you are is a very heartwarming story about a woman who steps out from the clutches of her overbearing mother and live a life just the way she likes and not what her mother wants. Olivia made a list when she was 16 but right now she's 29 and she hasn't achieved anything. Therefore she moves out of her house and ends up at End Cottage.

The plot wasn't something very amazing but it was good enough to keep me invested. I loved each and every character in this book except for Olivia's mother especially Joan. The romance was cute but not that great. I have read better romance books but like I said.... Ollie and Sam were cute together.

Thanks a lot to Netgalley for providing me with an e-arc of this book.
#BookTour

This is the kind of book you consume in one evening. You have great sympathy for Ollie from the beginning and you are constantly rooting for her to get out and find herself. Her mother is incredibly manipulative and even fakes illness and symptoms to get Ollie to stay with her. Her mother always acts out of fear and has let her abandonment issues hold Ollie back. When she finally gets out of that house, you can feel the sense of freedom Ollie experiences.

Her personal journey is lovely - though if you're not a fan of second hand, toe curling embarrassment, you're in for a bumpy ride because Ollie really does find herself in some awkward and cringe worthy situations! Seeing her out on her own, coping with emotions and adjusting to change, we watch her confidence grow.

We meet a whole host of people along the way and this story is very much a 'don't judge a book by its cover' and 'there's more to people than your first impression' kind of vibe. In these people, Ollie finds the support and love that she hasn't been shown. Their love is pure, honest and liberating. This found family is a very special one and really makes the book shine.  I tell you what, theres a scene that made me shed tears. I won't spoil anything. I'll just say Ebenezer, Little Women. Once you've read this book, you will understand my emotions.

The romance in this book is incredibly slow burning. There is focus on friendship and helping each other through what life is throwing at them but the spark is always there. And then THAT KISS. You wait a long time for it but when it happens, it's glorious. So romantic and the chemistry just envelops you.

This story is one of courage and freedom. It's about riding the waves of life and using every moment to discover who you are and who you want to be. When Ollie is making her way through the list, she realises that though things don't always work out the way you hoped, the right thing is waiting for you and you never know, it might be just around the corner... or in Ollie's case, the forest.
After reading a previous book by Beth Moran, I couldn’t wait to read this one and it did not disappoint.

Ollie is approaching 30, and has had her life held  back for so long by her mom. Somethings got to give….. and this book gives it all

I think my main reason about this book as it really goes in deep in struggles with families and not just partner. Which is really important for people to realise.

There are parts where I was howling with laughter, cringing and tears. This book has it all.

Beth Moran is an author not to go unnoticed.
This is a sweet book about a woman called Ollie, who lives at home with her emotionally draining mother. Ollie has put her own life and dreams on hold and reluctantly stays in the small world her mother has created or them. As Valentines night approaches and Ollie has a date, her mother becomes 'very ill' and this causes Ollie to cancel her date.

But it turns out the illness was not that bad and her mother was emotionally blackmailing Ollie to keep her at home with her.

Ollie has had enough of the drama with her mother and vows to change her life and her relationship with her mother

And so begins Ollie's quest to complete all the 'Dreams' on her 'Dream-List' before her 30th birthday, which is only a few months away.

As Ollie moves house, makes new friends, somehow unwittingly adopts a dog and becomes a kind of carer to a whole other family...

Can she get her list done in time and will she be able to stick to the 'No Man' rule.

Set in the gorgeous countryside, this is a really sweet book and you will be rooting for Ollie from the get go. I definitely was.
Thank you to the publisher for this ARC to review. While I enjoyed the book overall, I often felt like I was just being told and not shown the story. This was especially true in the first half of the book, which felt rushed at times. I found myself rooting for Ollie to grow and become her own person, which kept me engaged. I enjoyed seeing how Ollie's relationships with the secondary characters developed. Although it is listed as a romance, the romantic aspect was relatively minor in the plot.
Just The Way You Are by Beth Moran was just the little burst of sunshine that I needed today while riding out a winter storm.  Ollie's story is one that will warm your heart, and perhaps even provide the impetus to begin your own journey of self-discovery.

Still living with her emotionally dependent and manipulative mother as she nears her thirtieth birthday, Ollie decides that the time has come to take her own best interest in hand, and will not only live independently for the first time, but will begin to tick off a bucket list of items that has sat untouched for years.  In the process, she will learn to trust in herself, and to open her heart to others, enriching her life in ways that, for many years, she never thought possible.

This is an utterly charming read, and I will certainly look for more from this author in the future.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Boldwood Books for an ARC.
Olivia Tennyson is fed up with her mother controlling her life and choices. Realizing that living with her mother will get her nowhere, she moves out which doesn't go over well with mummy dearest. Starting "new" at 29 years old, Olivia decides that she'll finally start on her Dream List, a list she made with the intention of completing to prove to herself she's capable of tackling life all on her own...

so initially i requested this book because i thought the romance would be super cute...but calling it a romance would be pushing it. a women's fiction, was more the vibe i was getting from it

the side characters came to play a lot which i actually enjoyed. i think the friendships Olivia made was really and truly special. through it all, Olivia was basically a saint, focusing on her list as well as still attending to others needs

the love interest, Sam, was a dear and i wish we could've had more scenes with them together in the romantic sense. their ending was cute but abrupt

as much as i still ended up enjoying it, it did take me 4 days to finish...if it was just my personal mindset or the length of the book, i couldn't really tell you.
But if it sounds like something you'll enjoy, I'd definitely recommend you give it a try :)

*𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘶𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘳, 𝘕𝘦𝘵𝘨𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘺 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘉𝘰𝘭𝘥𝘸𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘉𝘰𝘰𝘬𝘴 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘪𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘮𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘢𝘯 𝘢𝘳𝘤 𝘪𝘯-𝘦𝘹𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘢𝘯 𝘩𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘳𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘦𝘸*
I really enjoyed Beth Moran's new book, Just the Way You Are. It's the third book of hers I've read, and they never fail to entertain and offer some uplifting, feel-good, reading. Highly recommended for those looking for a boost or after something that's not light and fluffy, but genuinely heart-warming.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for my review copy.
What a delight!

I'm 98% certain that I requested this on NetGalley thanks to the cute cover. I really didn't know the premise going in and that usually works well for me as it did here.

Every character really added something to the story and I find that to be rare in novels anymore. Beth Moran really gave each of them a thoughtful and meaningful story line and I very much appreciate that as a reader. This book was beyond charming, sweet, easy to read and absolutely  adorable. I enjoyed picking it up each time. I found the story, for the most part to flow easily., there were a few times where I felt it start to stall out, but then it would pick right up.

The library scenes were some of my very favorite, mainly thanks to Irene. Irene is the curmudgeon old librarian who we instantly don't like, but man did I love her story arc. Irene!! We can all use an Irene in our lives. Ebenezer/Barry was another curmudgeon with his salty notes and elusive tasks that I just loved. Leanne and Joan - be still my heart. Little Joan was a force and I loved everything she added to the story.

Ollie. What a leading lady Beth Moran brought us. Ollie was stuck and Ollie was OK letting her Mom run the roost and keep her ensconced in a smothered home. Once Ollie broke free she came alive and it was a joy to read. Ollie and Sam had such a sweet dynamic and I was rooting for them the entire way.

I think my only gripe and reason for 4 stars instead of 5 was the pacing. At times I couldn't put this down, at other times it felt like I'd been reading it for years. Otherwise, this story is one that will definitely stick with me and I look forward to more from Moran.

Thank you NetGalley, Moran and Boldwood books for this advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
Basic plot:  Olivia (Ollie) Tennyson is living at home with her controlling mother.  Ollie realizes that she needs to move on with her life and make a life of her own.  She has a Dream List that she wants to accomplish and she is determined to do it.

Rating: 4/5

What I have to say:  “Just The Way You Are” was a good book.  It took about a week to finish, as I was having a hard time getting into it.  I very much liked following Ollie on her adventure of self-discovery.  The characters were charming and relatable.

Thank you to NetGalley for granting me permission for an advanced copy of this book!
While I enjoyed this book a great deal I don't really think it's romance as much as I was led to believe it is that's not really wrong it's just a bit mislabeled in my opinion.
This book was such an incredible read. It had such strong and powerful messages of self-growth, friendship and acceptance. I was immediately captivated by the writing style and the characters. This novel is easy-flowing and light-hearted and just an overall happy read. I absolutely loved the journey of growth for Ollie. It was a bit extreme but necessary for her to be whom she wanted to be. It was super cute and kept me laughing. I loved following her journey of in to becoming a strong independent woman. I loved the relaxed and easy-going banter between Ollie and Sam and the strong friendship between Ollie and Joan. Ollie’s friends became her family and supported her journey.
I’m jealous of all the things that Ollie was determined to do and achieved throughout this book!
Favourite quote: “You really are the wild man of the forest.”
Rated: 4.0 stars.
A lovely read that I am going to suggest for my Book Club. A lovely story that shows life doesn’t always go as you want it when you want it. Well done.
🌿 Just The Way You Are by Beth Moran 🌿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Someone used the word uplifting about this book and it is so apt. This book is about a woman who never really got the chance to be herself and live life for her. Yes there were elements of romance but that wasn’t the driving force behind the changes the MC made in her life. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you need a book about someone who has bloomed late and has had to fight for her independence this is the one for you. But it is also so much more it is about embracing your strengths and who you are, for fighting for your boundaries and happiness and found family. I cried and laughed and loved throughout this whole book. Thank you for writing this @bethmoranauthor 💛 this book is all heart. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Thank you @netgalley for the chance to read this book, I loved reading it. This book will be available from 17/02/2022 💛
Ollie is nearly 30 living with her overbearing mum. When her mum starts planning her 30th birthday party she realises her mum has been mooching in her bedroom and reading her diaries etc and it's the last straw so she decides to move out.
A fab story of a single woman determined to start living her life her way before she is 30
Loved it
While I am very grateful to NetGalley for the opportunity to read this ARC I do have one complaint. The advertisement tag read the feel good book of 2022 and it was tagged as romance. While there is a general romantic plot line in the story this book Tugged on the heartstrings entirely too much to be a feel good book.

Ollie is trying to escape years of manipulation from her mother while also figuring out who she wants to be going into her 30s. A dedicated civil servant Ollie takes broken people under her wing left and right. It was a beautifully written book that tackles some seriously heavy stuff.

Content Warning: substance abuse, emotional abuse, child abuse, missing children,