Cover Image: The Invite

The Invite

The Invite started out with what I call fluffy and light dialogue - the naïve female with the "perfect" boyfriend....but it got more exciting as the story went on, with multiple POV and some real twists.  There was a lot of repetition which bogs it down somewhat, but if like a quick read, with an imaginative plot, this thriller is for you!

Thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for an advance reader's copy.
This book is exactly why I say Sheryl is the QUEEN of psychological thrillers! Sheryl is back and better than ever. To say I enjoyed this book is an understatement…..I absolutely freaking loved it. Grabbing me from the start,I devoured it in one day. I couldn't put it down. It is sooo addictive. So be prepared not to get anything done once you start it.

In this story we meet Kaitlin and Zoe who have been friends for years, When Zoe meets Kaitlin’s fiance Greg  at her party things take a turn for the worse and the party becomes Kaitlin’s worst nightmare. The story unfolds. I was trying to work out why Zoe goes missing and what's the deal with Greg….So many questions!

OMG talk about keeping me on the edge of my seat. I couldn't read this quick enough, wanting to know what happens next. Just when I think I have it figured out BOOM another twist to throw you sideways! There are so many twists and turns in this story and brilliant characterisation.  From start to finish The Invite is jam packed with suspense.

Not forgetting the ending….WOW WOW WOW Sheryl totally ramps it up a step with an action packed, electrifying, pulse racing ending. I am totally blown away by how good this book is, it is a must read. Read it for yourself and you all see what I mean you won’t regret it.
Intriguing Suspense..
A dream engagement party sparks a catalogue of bizarre events in this intriguing suspense. Characters are well drawn and the narrative works well told from multiple viewpoints. The first half of the tale is immersive, packs a punch with twists aplenty and suspicion abounding and, whilst the second half slows and feels rather rushed, the whole still works well as a compelling read.
This thriller started out exciting and intriguing. It quickly built into a highs suspense thriller fueled by an ominous mystery. By midpoint, things slow way down and get overly repetitive. The last half was rushed and a lot was missed plot-wise.
When Kaitlin gets engaged to her boyfriend Greg she is out of this world excited. She can't wait to settle down with him and make a new life for her and her daughter. Not only has she found the perfect man for her but he is nothing like her toxic and abusive ex. The only step now is for Kaitlin to finally introduce the man of her dreams to her best friend Zoe who is finally back in town to celebrate Kaitlin's birthday, and she couldn't be happier. Things don't go according to plan however when after Zoe is introduced to Greg instead of an instant friendship that Kaitlin was hoping for Zoe is a little stand offish and starts to question his intentions and his background. I really liked this story because it was very interesting to see both sides of this problem play out and see how both friends were viewing the situation. It isn't until Zoe goes missing and Kaitlin is left to try to find her friend that the story really takes off. What really happened to Zoe? Did Greg have anything to do with it? And if he did then what is her really capable of with her as well? I was very surprised that I was able to relate to both characters and I could easily see myself as either one of them. I loved this book because most of the time when its got this kind of story friend doesn't like the boyfriend its more of a chick lit book not a thriller so this put a more dramatic spin on the whole thing. Great read and I oved everything about it. All three main characters I loved and they all did things that I couldn't  stand but that is also part of why I liked them it made them seem very three dimensional. This story had my interest through every word and I couldn't get enough. This is one book that every thriller lover will devour and will turn everyone else onto the genre. Great read and I'm so glad that I was given the chance to check it out.
So this was a mixed bag for me it started strong and you could see a complex plot with interesting characters building  and developing but then towards the middle  it started to lag and there were some chapters that I found repetitive and predictable.

Not a bad read but not one of the best that I have read by this author,
📚 BOOK REVIEW 📚

The Invite By Sheryl Browne.
Publication Date - 22nd February 2022
Published By Bookouture

I always enjoy Sheryl’s books, but this one ....... you know when you think, a book is going to go in a certain direction and you get a bit smug ...... and then it’s takes you on a fabulous journey that you never expected!!  Well that’s this book 😂 lol!

Kaitlin had just got engaged to Greg. Her friend Zoe is back home from abroad for the party. Kaitlin really wants Zoe to like him him .....,, will they get on?!

Absolutely loved it.

Thanks #bookouture #netgalley #ARC #sherylbrowne #thriller #twisty #bookstagram #bookstagramshaz

Thank you to NetGalley, Sheryl Browne, and Bookouture for my advance copy.

Kaitlin is in a fairly new relationship that seems to moving fast. Her boyfriend, Greg, throws her a birthday party at which he and her best friend, Zoe, are meeting for the first time. There is obvious tension between the two at the party, then suddenly Zoe goes missing.

The first half started out strong. I was interested in where the story was headed as there were tons twists and suspense that kept me on my toes. I enjoyed the multiple viewpoints, watching each character slowly reach their breaking point. Something that very much bothered me though was that for two people who are engaged to be married, there are simple things that it doesn’t seem very plausible and realistic weren’t discussed or looked into.

The second half fell apart for me a bit. Two of the main twists were somewhat predictable. The whole ending seemed fairly rushed and not quite believable. There were a lot of things that just didn’t seem to add up. Also, the hint of romance didn’t work for me.

While I found the characters relatable and the story full of thrilling suspense, the ending left me feeling disappointed.
I’d like to thank Bookouture and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read ‘The Invite’ written by Sheryl Browne in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.

Kaitlin meets Greg who sweeps her off her feet and within weeks she invites him to move in with her and five-year-old daughter Ruby.  Greg arranges a birthday party for Kaitlin and asks her to marry him but when she introduces him to her best friend Zoe doesn’t trust him and after they have a massive argument she storms off into the night.  When Zoe doesn’t answer her phone Greg offers to search for her and arrives back with blood on him which he says is from a bramble but he’s acting strangely, and when the police start investigating Zoe’s the evidence points at Greg.

Although ‘The Invite’ is intriguing with suspense, drama and twists and turns, there are so many characters any of whom could be a possible suspect that I’ve found it puzzling and I’ve had to keep referring to my notes to remind myself who the characters are.  This has then caused me confusion exacerbated even more by the epilogue which seems to be in a rush to tie-up events but in a strange and bewildering manner.  Nevertheless, I did enjoy it and finished it in twenty-four hours, but I can’t say it’s the best one she’s written.
The Invite by Sheryl Browne

After Kaitlin’s first marriage fell apart, she thought she would never trust another man ever again, but then she met Greg and everything changed. Greg was so loving and attentive, he loved Ruby, Kaitlin’s 5-year-old daughter, as if she was his own.

Greg even organises a lavish birthday party for Kaitlin and invites all of her friends, but when Zoe, Kaitlin’s oldest and closest friend, meets Greg she tells Kaitlin something is not right about him. They fight and Zoe storms off into the night disappearing and not answering her phone Greg becomes the lead suspect. Is Zoe, ok?  Is Zoe alive?

I enjoyed The Invite more than Sheryl Browne’s previous novels as it told the story from not just one character view point but many.

I would like to thank Net Galley and Bookouture for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Kaitlin is recently engaged to Greg, who is throwing her a lavish birthday party tonight. They’ve gotten engaged after six months of knowing each other and Greg has planned an elopement to Portugal. When Kaitlin’s best friend Zoe arrives at the party and learns that Kaitlin is engaged and pregnant after only six months of them together, she immediately starts questioning her choices. They have a bitter argument and Zoe stomps out of the party in the rain. Kaitlin frantically asks Greg to run after her and bring her back, but he couldn’t find her. Kaitlin keeps calling her and goes over to her apartment but she is missing! What has happened to Zoe?

This book is a fast read but it has so many different story lines, I got lost a few times. But, it is a thriller and I love a good thriller so I give The Invite ⭐️⭐️⭐️.

Thank you to #Netgalley, #Bookouture, and #SherylBrowne for the advanced e-book in exchange for this honest review.
This is fast-paced read that was gripping, entertaining and just one of those guilty pleasures (think trashy Lifetime Original Movie). Once I started reading, I got sucked in, couldn't stop and finished it in a day.
The story is told from multiple perspectives, which helped create layers to the story.
The story itself....Was it convoluted? Yes. Did it have twists you could predict a mile off? Yes. Was it a fun and engaging journey? Yes. Would I recommend this book? Absolutely! A big reason I recommend this book is because it went in a completely different direction than I was expecting. Honestly, reading the synopsis made me think it was going to be a book full of clichés.....the old (and tired) trope of husband/best friend have an affair and all is lost. That plot is done to death and I'm bored, but thankfully this book (while sometimes OTT) was completely original and fresh.

There aren't many likable characters in this story, but many of them are sympathetic characters.
That being said, I couldn't stand the MC Kaitlin. Her naivety was completely off the charts and her judge of character was nonexistent. I was frustrated with her the entire time I was reading this.

One other negative would be the ending. It was super rushed with just a few paragraphs at the end to sum up all the motives, which are kind of murky and not well fleshed out. I was still left confused with a feeling of incompleteness, and the Epilogue didn't do a good job of explaining the events that took place or their aftermath.

Overall, this was a quick read. It was fun. And I recommend if you're looking for something to pass the time.

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Sadly, this was a book I did not really click with, even though I would not say this is a bad read. I did not find the story to be consistent, and the characters were not likeable. I'm sure many readers will like this book, but I am not one of them.
Kaitlyn is excited to celebrate her birthday and upcoming wedding with her best friend, Zoe.  When Zoe meets her fiancé, things start to go awry.  When Zoe takes off from the party, Kaitlyn is sure she will show up.  When Zoe is till missing the next day, Kaitlyn wonders if everyone is who they say they are.
Overall a quick and easy read. Told from the viewpoint of multiple characters, good story.

* I received an advanced reader’s copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review
Kaitlin is all excited to see her best friend Zoe come back for her birthday party and to meet Greg. But things didn't turn out the way she thought they would and now Zoe is missing.  Zoe said some awful things to Kaitlin, and they got into an argument before she left. Is there something to the things said before she left about Greg? Will Kaitlin be able to find her? Is Daniel, her ex-boyfriend to blame for her disappearance? I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book.
This was quite an action packed book that kept my attention. Full of twists and turns I genuinely did not know who to believe or trust. Another great book by Sheryl Browne
Since I received a prerelease copy of this book to read and review, I felt obligated to do both - and it really pains me to say neither was easy. That's truly a shame because there's an intriguing plot here, but it's buried under endlessly repetitive angst, hand-wringing, self-doubting musings coming from the minds and mouths of multiple characters. Around the 30% mark, in fact, I almost decided to call it a day.

But I'm not a quitter, especially when, as I said before, I accepted the offer of this book and thus don't want to abandon it. Besides that, I have no doubt there are readers who love emotionally overwrought heroines like Kaitlin Chalmers, who has found a soon-to-be husband and father for her young daughter Ruby after divorcing the abusive original. As this one begins, the new guy - Greg Walker - has arranged a fancy birthday party for Kaitlin. It's even more special because Kaitlin's best friend in the entire world, Zoe (who "rescued" her from the ne'er-do-well ex) will be coming in from Portugal. Zoe isn't just leaving a job; she's leaving what she believed was a serious relationship that suddenly turned seriously sour.

I don't know why Kaitlin had such bad luck with a man (well, actually I can think of at least one good reason), but her rationalization for Zoe's seems to be that Zoe grew up "in care" - a tidbit readers are reminded of at least half a dozen times in the first half dozen chapters. Problem for me is, I never found out what that means, exactly. The only thing I'm sure of is she didn't live with birth or foster parents - so what's left? A cardboard box under a bridge? Well yeah, I suppose that might leave a few emotional scars.

In any event, Zoe's already sour life puckers up even more the second she arrives at Kaitlin's bash and immediately intuits that by marrying Greg, Kaitlin is making a huge mistake. But since her 5-minute screamfest with Kaitlin doesn't convince her friend to ditch him, Zoe ditches both the party and Kaitlin in a huff. After Kaitlin and Greg mull all the whys, why nots and what ifs, Greg agrees to go look for her and talk his idea of sense into her head.

He comes back empty-handed, though, and (surprise!) Zoe goes missing. Police are called in, and from that point on, the pace begins to kick up several notches. That in turn leads to learning that some people may not be who they claim to be, hinting at possible danger for Kaitlin and Ruby (and giving readers more names to keep straight). It ends in a flurry of action - some of it predictable but entertaining enough to keep me turning the pages. In the end, it's safe to say this one isn't going to appear on my 50 favorites book list, but if you've got a couple of hours to kill on a sunny beach or by a cozy fireplace, it's not a bad choice.
An intriguing and gripping read which had me captivated.  Its fast paced and when it started getting late into the night I noticed that most chapters end on a cliffhanger, so I didn't want to stop reading.
I liked that the main characters Zoe and Kaitlin {best friends for years} are believable and realistic.  I felt real empathy for them and the dialogue between them is brilliant!
Nothing is what it seems and just when I thought I had guessed it, there's a surprise.
Highly recommended.
Kaitlin is thrilled to have her family and friends together to celebrate her birthday. Her loving fiancé, Greg, has planned the whole evening to be perfect. Kaitlin hasn’t seen her best friend, Zoe, since before she and Greg got together. The party will be the perfect time to tell Zoe about their engagement. But Zoe doesn’t seem as happy about the engagement as what Kaitlin was expecting. Zoe and Greg get in a heated argument and Zoe leaves the party early. But when Zoe doesn’t make it back to her apartment and she doesn’t answer her phone, Kaitlin begins to worry that something is very wrong. Could her disappearance have anything to do with the argument between she and Greg? As the investigation continues, secrets begin to unfold. Is Greg really who he says he is? If he is, then why is he lying to the police? Is she and her daughter really safe?

This page-turning thriller is filled with an intricate web of lies and obsession! The whole book was full of twists that made me fly through this book. I loved how the author told the story from the viewpoint of nearly all the characters, so that the reader can get in each one of their heads. Seeing the story from all angles really brought the book together. A great read, for sure!

A huge thank you to NetGalley, Bookouture, and Sheryl Browne for this advanced reading copy. This ARC was provided to me in exchange for my honest review.
I really enjoyed this domestic thriller by Sheryl Browne. Lots of great characters that kept me invested in the book.  Well told through the complex storyline. This one hooked me from early on.
Highly recommend
Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book