Cover Image: The Binding Room

The Binding Room

A little basic in telling a typical copy somethings gone wrong story but with really tense writing and interesting characters. Thank you Harper for the ARC for my honest review.
When The Jigsaw Man first came out, I immediately bought it and every second I had to spare was spent reading it. So when I saw there was a second book, I immediately knew that I had to have it.

DI Angelica Henley and Salim Ramouter are investigating the murder of a pastor, but as they’re investigating the scene, Angelica discovers another victim who has been tortured and is barely hanging on.

During this book we learn more about their characters and their backstories. I love a good backstory. I feel it really adds to the characters.

I absolutely love English police procedurals. They are absolutely brutal and gritty and they don’t hold back. I hope this grows into a series. I will gladly continue reading.

Many thanks to Harlequin Trade Publishing, NetGalley and Nadine Matheson for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you to NetGalley, Nadine Matheson and Harlequin for the free e-book I exchange for an honest review.

These novels are always so exciting for me to get and read. Matheson’s writing starts out so strong, but they are so long that by the midpoint I need a break to read something else and come back. I don’t know why because I love the characters and the plots are fantastic. It’s just too long for me k think. Overall, I would recommend though!
The Jigsaw Man was the first book in the Inspector Anjelica Henley series, and this is the second. I definitely recommend reading these books in order as it helps you get to know Henley, and her team, a lot better. These books kind of remind me of the Helen Grace series by MJ Arlidge, where it follows a female Detective Inspector and those she works with. Each book focuses on a new crime though, and Henley happens to work in the Serial Crime Unit.

I really liked this one. It was a bit of a slower start, but once it really got going, I couldn’t help but keep reading. I love that Anjelica is a Black woman and this is something that comes up in the books in terms of prejudice from other cops, and even those in the community. This is something that you don’t often see in detective fiction so it’s a welcome change.

The Binding Room deals with the death of a man who ran a church, and who referred to himself as a Prophet. However, when his repeatedly stabbed body is found, they also find an almost dead male in a hidden room who has obviously been starved and tortured. What is going on, and is the dead pastor involved?

Most of the book follows Anjelica’s POV, but we also get her partner and those involved in these supposed kidnapping/torture. I appreciated this because it helps deliver a more well-rounded picture of the case. I definitely did not guess who was involved, and you do get a chance to figure it out (at least for one person involved), which is always exciting with a mystery novel!

Definitely a series I will continue.
"Both fans of The Jigsaw Man and readers coming to Matheson's work for the first time will get swept away in this heart-pounding thriller. Drawing on her experiences as a criminal attorney, Nadine Matheson deftly explores issues of race, class and justice through an action-packed story that will hold you captive until the last terrifying page."

If you haven't read The Jigsaw Man, I highly recommend you read that first... not because you need to, to understand The Binding Room, but because Nadine is a freaking genius and I wouldn't want you to miss the first book before jumping into the second!

The Binding Room weaves in story lines of the characters from the first book and yet the twists in this 2nd story are so fabulously written and captivating - right from PAGE ONE - that I was sitting there reading it and wondering how this beautifully happy person on Instagram has written this dark and thrilling story?!?!

As mentioned in the first blurb of this review pulled from Goodreads, Nadine explores issues of race, class and justice - add in some religious faith and mental health...  and it's just a thought provoking, edge-of-your-seat story that will keep you guessing right till the end.

If you can't tell, I am a HUGE fan of Nadine Matheson and hope everyone enjoys her stories as much as I do!

I want to thank NetGalley, the brilliant author Nadine Matheson and the publisher
Harlequin Trade Publishing, Hanover Square Press for providing me with an eARC of this publication. In return, I have promised to provide an unbiased review.

Additionally, I listened to this story on audible while reading it and thought the narrator, Diveen Henry deserved honorable mentions because she did a really great job!
Did you read The Jigsaw Man? I read it just before I picked up The Binding Room because this is a continuation of Inspector Anjelica Henley’s story, and oh is it ever good!

Be warned, just as with The Jigsaw Man, The Binding Room goes dark. In fact, the murders Anjelica are investigating are ritualistic. She begins by investigating two crimes, and then another body is found.

I love a good thriller, and this is not just any good thriller. I think Nadine Matheson’s experience as a criminal attorney adds credence to her stories. They feel REAL. I’m not sure they aren’t real?! 😂 Also, important topics are addressed alongside all the action. Justice and race are just two of those issues addressed head-on.

In the end, I’m in awe of Nadine Matheson’s supreme ability to weave an intricate story and the chilling way in which she shared it. Unputdownable with lots of triggers (it’s dark, after all), vivid, true-to-life characters. I can’t wait for the next installment, which I’m sure will be equally compelling and original!

I received a gifted copy.
Detective Inspector Anjelica Henley is back on the job and battling an angry widow. Personally, she's dealing with her ambivalence about motherhood and a second child. An engrossing read that will keep you guessing!  While this is the second book about Henley, it can be read as a standalone. Strong police procedural with compelling characters.

Thanks to Harlequin Publishing for access to a digital ARC on NetGalley.
Detective Anjelica Henley is back and I didn’t realize how much I had missed her. I loved The Jigsaw Man and might have enjoyed The Binding Room even more. The audiobook is fantastic, and the storyline involves exorcisms, preachers, racism and mental illness and my goodness it is all done so very well. A popular preacher is found dead in his own church, and while Henley is trying to solve who is behind it, bodies keep showing up. There are suspects galore, and the case takes on a new sense of urgency as she realizes she may be the next victim if she doesn’t solve it soon.

This is a bit on the longer side, but it didn’t feel like it to me, and as we get towards the end it gets even more suspenseful. I really loved this one and I think it can be read as a standalone, just note there are some context with the characters you won’t have, but it doesn’t detract from the story. This story is dark, with definite trigger warnings if you couldn’t tell from the above, and the murders can be gruesome, but I loved it and thought it was additive to the tone of the story and like I said, very well done.

I cannot wait to read what Matheson writes next, she is now on my auto buy list with two stellar reads so far.

Thank you to NetGalley and Hanover Square Press for the digital copy to review.
I'm so sorry to say this was a DNF for me. I'm pretty good at only requesting books that I know I'll like, But I missed with this one. I found the detailed physical cruelty to be off putting. Like - a lot. It seemed it was just shock the reader in the opening pages. It just put me off. And I read a lot of murder mysteries. The connection to organized religion put me off as well. I skipped through future chapters and just thought I can't. So, A rare DNF.

Thanks for understanding.

Best' Luanne
The mystery was decent. I don’t love this should or should I not as far as her relationship with her boss. It is dragging on and detracts from the story as does her misery with her husband. Some mysteries the personal life of the detective adds to the story on this one it detracts.

Give a copy by Netgalley.opinions are my own.
Ok this was amazing. I am loving this series and can not wait to see what happens in Book 3.
I love the main character and story lines are just creepy and disturbed enough to hook you from line one.
I loved seeing these characters back for a sequel! I was a big fan of all the gore in this book, I’m already anxiously awaiting the next one.  After reading this, I would definitely recommend that you read the first book of the series, The Jigsaw Man, before reading this one. While this book is a new standalone crime story, the plot and resolve of the previous book is mentioned quite a bit, and has a lot to do with the current state of many of the main characters.

I have really enjoyed both books by Nadine Matheson so far, and can’t wait for her to write more books in the future! Thank you Netgalley and HC  for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.
🪢BOOK / REVIEW 🪢

OK. Where in the world are my #crimefiction besties, at?! Holy HELL - I LOVED THIS BOOK.

@queennads blew blew BLEW me away with #thejigsawman, but dare I say my favorite novel by her now is #thebindingroom. Goodness grief - I couldn't consume this #audiobook fast enough. I am utterly obsessed with Inspector Henley - the fact that she writes incredibly strong (yet flawed and REAL) female characters of color at this level floors me. I loved Anjelica in book one,  but this 2nd installment had me completely invested in her and Rummuta's character development.

This book is very dark - graphic, gory and utterly chilling. I COULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS BOOK (and series!) more. From what I know, this series appears to have longevity and I will be waiting with baded breath for the next installment.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Binding Room is one of my favorite books I’ve read this year!! Even though this crime fiction read was a long one, I flew through this unputdownable sequel. Author Nadine Matheson writes serial killers/crime suspense brilliantly! I can’t wait for the next.
I am so happy I took another member of Killer Crime Club’s advice and read The Jig Saw Man by Nadine Matheson first before reading her latest book The Binding Room. The characters are likeable and the bond they share from the first novel helps you understand their thought process in The Binding Room. This book is a thrilling quick read filled sarcasm, sexual tension and the bonds that tie people together. Fingers crossed there is another sequel to this series
Thank you NetGalley and Nadine Matheson for the opportunity to read The Binding Room which was amazing.
Yet another fabulous crime thriller from Nadine Matheson! I was a big fan of The Jigsaw Man, so when I heard this was coming out I knew I had to read it ASAP.

This book may seem daunting at first with the long page count, but trust me, it’s definitely worth it! While not exactly fast paced, the story is intricate enough where I’m constantly turning the pages and trying to connect all of the dots.
After reading this, I definitely recommend that you read the first book of the series, The Jigsaw Man, before reading this one. While this book is a new standalone crime story, the plot and resolve of the previous book is mentioned quite a bit, and has a lot to do with the current state of many of the main characters.

Thank you to HQ and Netgalley for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.
DI Anjelica Henley is back in The Binding Room by Nadine Matheson. If you enjoyed The Jigsaw Man, you won't be disappointed by this new one.

When Henley is called to investigate the murder of a popular preacher, she gets more than she bargained for when they find an unconscious and tortured man in a secret room of the church.

Faced with multiple suspects, a possible missing child, and more bodies, Henley must unravel the tangled web to catch a sadistic killer.

Matheson is an amazing crime writer. At over 500 pages, this one was a bit chunky for a thriller, but there wasn't much that didn't add to the story, so I don't think it could have been shorter. I'm definitely excited for more from this author.

CW: violence, body horror, religious trauma, murder, torture, sexual assault, rape, miscarriage, pregnancy, forced institutionalization, racism (check The StoryGraph for more CW I might have missed)

Thank you to the author, publisher, and @NetGalley for the eARC in exchange for my honest review.
Happy Monday friends! I finished 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐵𝑖𝑛𝑑𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑅𝑜𝑜𝑚 by author Nadine Matheson @queennads this past weekend and it was amazing!

So this is the second book of the Inspector Anjelica Henley Serial Crime Unit Series and although I did read it as a stand-alone, I do wish I had read the first book 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐽𝑖𝑔𝑠𝑎𝑤 𝑀𝑎𝑛 first. There was a lot of dialouge pertaining to the first book that piqued my interest so I’m 100% going to go backwards and read the first book this week😂!

𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐵𝑖𝑛𝑑𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑅𝑜𝑜𝑚 is one of the best police procedurals I’ve ever read. The storyline is dark and chilling, so gripping that you will find yourself flying through the pages. This is a hefty book, coming in at 500+ pages but it is so addicting that even at the end you are left wanting more.

The storyline was intriguing, thrilling, disturbing, and there was never a dull moment. The whole time I found myself rooting for the detectives to figure out this craziness. Speaking of the detectives, the character relationships and character developments were spot on and the whole Serial Crime Unit was the perfect mix of character personalities.

✨100% FIVE STAR READ✨
This book is now available! Special thanks to @netgalley and @hanoversquarepress for the early copy!

SYNOPSIS: “ When Detective Anjelica Henley is called to investigate the murder of a popular preacher in his own church, she discovers a second victim, tortured and tied to a bed in an upstairs room. He is alive, but barely, and his body shows signs of a dark religious ritual.

With a revolving list of suspects and the media spotlight firmly on her, Henley is left with more questions than answers as she attempts to untangle both crimes. But when another body appears, the case takes on a new urgency. Unless she can apprehend the killer, the next victim may just be Henley herself.”
It was a really great crime novel. I haven’t read the first in the series but I absolutely will be. Thank you NetGalley because I’d never have found it without this site.
Five stars!

While still reeling from the physical and emotional fallout from the events of The Jigsaw Man, DI Henley and DC Ramouter and the SCI team are called upon to solve the murder of a pastor who is, well, less than godly -- and the victims keep piling up while the pressure closes in from the victims’ families, politicians, and their superiors.

This series is everything I could ask for, dark, graphic and intense, tightly plotted with a great team of characters. (Seriously, can I do more than five stars? Please?) I was really impressed by her first novel, The Jigsaw Man, and now with The Binding Room, Nadine Matheson has easily become an absolute must-read author for me.

You could probably read this as a standalone without much trouble, but you really should read the first book in order to fully appreciate the characters’ relationships and motivations, as well as some references to events in the first book. Do not miss this -- I’m already waiting for book three!

I am so grateful to NetGalley and Harlequin Trade Publishing/Hanover Square Press for the opportunity to read and review The Binding Room.