Cover Image: The Lost Ticket

The Lost Ticket

About the book:
When a heartbroken Libby Nichols arrives in London the last place she expects to find a friend is on the number 88 bus. Frank has spent the last 62 years riding the 88 bus in search of a woman who changed his life on that same bus all those years ago. Inspired by Frank’s story and looking for a purpose, Libby decides to help Frank locate this mystery woman and reconnect the pair. With the help of Frank’s carer, Dylan, Libby begins to reopen herself to friendship and a budding romance as she navigates her own path to happiness.

Review:
This was the second novel I’ve read from Freya Sampson and I loved it just as much as The Last Chance Library! I adored seeing Libby’s growth through the book, and the band of quirky supporting characters added so much joy to the story. In addition, this story novel had a couple of surprises that kept me hooked until the end. This was a heartwarming novel that I would recommend to readers who enjoy relationship fiction, found families, and stories of self-discovery!
GOOSEBUMPS!

April 2022
Libby Nichols arrives in London lugging her two rucksacks, aboard the 88 bus on her way to her sister’s house-the place she will be temporarily living as she sorts out the end of her eight year relationship with Simon.

Her red hair catches the eye of an elderly gentleman named Frank, who has been looking for the red headed girl he met aboard this same bus, in 1962.

THE GIRL WHO CHANGED HIS LIFE

They had made plans to go to the National Gallery on the Saturday following their initial conversation, to see her favorite painting, Bacchus and Ariadne, but he lost the bus ticket she had written her phone # on. He waited by the bus stop all of Saturday afternoon but she never showed up, and he has been trying to find her, ever since.

Frank is starting to suffer from dementia and his daughter wants to move him from his own home, to a full-time Care facility, so his days of riding the 88 are drawing to an end.

This inspires Libby to help him search for the beautiful girl that Frank has never forgotten, and along with his caregiver, Dylan, she begins posting flyers all along the bus route. They also publish an advert for “missed connections” in the newspaper hoping for a lead.

#girlonthe88bus
E-mail girlonthe88bus@gmail.com

And, when that first lead comes in-I literally got GOOSEBUMPS!

You may think you have this one all figured out as you are reading it, but there are some surprising detours along the way!

If you have been looking for this years “feel good” lit book-the kind which has characters you enjoy spending time with-and already miss when the story ends..THIS IS IT!

Frank may have lost that bus ticket-but I lost my heart to this one! ❤️

Have a tissue ready for the final page!
AVAILABLE August 30, 2022!

I would like to thank Elisha at Berkley for my gifted copy! It was my pleasure to offer a candid review!
I am not okay. This book shredded my heart. I saw the pink cover, and thought this was gonna be a cute romcom. It was not. It was a slice of life contemporary, but not one flooded with happiness. It was heartbreaking.

The characters. Ughhh, the characters. I loved every one of them. Frank was the most adorable old man ever. He was so set on finding his girl, and he never gave up hope. Even before the 100th page, I was attached to him. I was just as invested in his search as he was. Plus, his slow fall to dementia :(((( I was in tears. Constant tears. Books don't normally make me this emotional, especially contemporaries, but this one did. I still have tears in my eyes, and I finished this 20 minutes ago. And even just thinking about it, the tears are coming back.

And then we have Dylan. I loved him. Talk about a character defying appearances. He was the perfect cinnamon roll character. His and Libby's romance wasn't the main point of the book, but it was more than enough. It was the sweetest, and I need more of them in domestic bliss. I need more of them

As for Libby, I loved her too. I hated her family, hated her ex, loved her, and loved her new connections. I felt everything she felt so intensely, and even though this utilized a trope I don't normally love, I loved it in this case. She's a character I'm not ready to let go of.

Like I've been mentioning throughout this review, this book was heartbreaking. I was so invested in the characters that by the end, anything that wasn't their happiness was unacceptable. Every time they hurt, I hurt too. Even when they were happy, I was crying. I'm still crying.

Id really recommend this one. As soon as it publishes, I'll be buying my own copy so I can force it on everyone I know. They must suffer this too.

Thanks to Netgalley for providing a free copy in exchange for an honest review
The Lost Ticket is a story of an unlikely friendship that leads them on a journey to find someone they met only briefly long ago. This well-written love story has loveable characters with undeniable chemistry. I definitely recommend adding this fun and heartwarming read to your end-of-summer reading list!
This was such a sweet and heartwarming story.

I really enjoyed seeing the relationship between Libby, Frank and Dylan grow. I loved the search for the #girlonthe88bus and how the search led to people that Frank had met over the years.

This was such a lovely story with a bit of a heartbreaking end. But it was still cozy and a treat to read.

[cw - dementia, drug use, death of a baby]
Recently broken up with by her boyfriend, Libby ends up being a temporary nanny for her nephew. While on the bus to her sister's, she meets an elderly gentleman who regularly rides the bus trying to find the girl he met 60 years earlier. A story about the power of relationships and letting people in. Several twists and turns I didn't expect!
Libby meets Dylan and Frank aboard the 88 bus in The Lost Ticket.  Frank has been searching for a girl who offered him advice sixty years ago on that bus.  She gives him advice that changed his life and wrote her number on her bus ticket.  Frank lost the ticket which sets up his decades long search for her.  In that time, Frank has offered warmth and cheer to other riders - Libby being one.  She is newly arrived in London as she decides what to do after losing a boyfriend (good riddance) as well as her job. She has her own personal upheaval and finds more support in Frank and his carer Dylan than in her own family.  Libby and Dylan help with the search for the Bus 88 girl which offers endearing moments of possibilities. The lack of emotional support from Libby's family was perhaps to help highlight the friendship that she develops with Frank, Dylan and others. I wondered also about the gap of time where Libby wasn't in contact with Dylan and Frank.... especially with Dylan in 'his situation.'  Ultimately, this story reminds us that the shapes of families and friends can blend easily into and with each other.  Our trio are lucky to have that happen.
What a lovely read, set on the 88 bus in London. The story centers around Frank who met a girl on that bus sixty years ago and was going to call her back… but he lost the ticket with her phone number on it! What follows is the formation of a sweet, heartwarming group of friends as they try to find his bus girl. The characters were lovely but the book would have been much better exploring them more deeply (especially Dylan’s dad and Libby’s mom).
The Lost Ticket is a delightful book with a unique premise that readers will find irresistible.  It is three stories, linked together by a bus route in London, where people eventually find each other in something that comes close to fate. It opens with two people on a bus in the early 1960’s, London.  A meet-cute, with a heartbreaking ending: a lost ticket that had a phone number and the subsequent missed opportunity.

Sampson’s book is one of hope, friendship, and unexpected romance.  Readers will see the kernel of the story, an obsession: looking for the girl from past, turn into a life saving mission for our MC Libby Nicholls. An opportunity to help Frank, the man from the very beginning of the story, find his girl, and find herself in the process.

And Sampson artfully pulls the reader in multiple directions, leaving the reader wanting to know more. Giving us breadcrumbs along the way, then yanking us in another direction entirely.  It’s an alluring chase, where readers will be constantly guessing who Frank’s mystery girl could be.  But it’s not just the compelling story of finding someone that makes this an engaging read.  It is how Sampson touches on specific topics like newly found friendships, the elderly and the physical/psychological aspects that come with those limitations as we age, acceptance of others while being able to be who you are without judgment, and lost and newly acquired love.

There was only one concern to note, towards the end of the novel during a climactic scene. The transition from the end of that chapter to the next is jarring.  There is no indication of the passage of time from one chapter to the next and it can throw readers as they try to grapple with and process what just happened in the previous chapter.  An easy fix would be to add some type of time stamp heading like “18 months later.”

Heartwarming, The Lost Ticket is one of finding and forging love and happiness regardless of the circumstances each one of these characters face.

Happy Reading ~ Cece
4.5 Stars
Thank you to NetGalley and Berkley Publishing Group for this Advanced Reader Copy, in exchange for my honest review.

I have to admit that it took me too long to finish this book and it was not because it was not an absolutely lovely book, it was because I did not get into it right away. And don't think that I am not mad at myself or this.
This is a charming story of strangers brought together by a simple bus on the 88 Line, and the chosen family that they become.
The story begins with Libby, newly dumped female who meets Frank, an elderly man on the bus .and develops an unlikely friendship. Frank tells his story of a chance meeting years ago with a woman that he had never forgotten. Next comes Dylan, a mohawk-wearing punk, who is also Frank's caregiver. Libby and Dylan begin a campaign to help Frank find his Girl on the 88 Bus. And the charming tale continues from there.

There is love, friendship, growing and strength to be had by all. But mainly there is heart.
I really cannot recommend this beautiful book enough.
Libby’s boyfriend breaks up with her, and she moves in with her sister in London while she figures out what to do with her life. On the bus, she meets an old man who has been looking for a girl he lost the phone number for in 1962. This meeting inspires her to look for his lost love.

This was an okay book. The plot saves it because I wanted to watch Libby grow as a person and discover what happened to the girl. I thought I knew, but then the answer took me by surprise. Nice touch to have the love interest a punk, and it made him different than standard love interests.
Another beautiful well-written story from Sampson. Her characters are delightful and quirky. The book starts in 1962 on a bus where a young man Frank instantly falls in love with a red-haired young artist - flash to another bus Frank much older and a young redhead - she is suffering over a breakup. They strike up an unlikely friendship - Frank has dementia and is searching for his first love and Libby our current day redhead is searching to expand her life - it’s inspiring and funny and touching
The Lost Ticket was a both heartwarming and bittersweet story about personal relationships. It also seemed to show how complacency, lack of communication, and false assumptions waste time and hurt people. Overall it was a nice story about people helping one another and showing how lives are interconnected but how much angst can be avoided by people simply being honest with themselves and others and being more introspective in a positive way. I was disappointed by the main character drifting along without caring enough, it seemed to me, to make a real commitment to permanent family structure, which is the backbone of community. Overall I would recommend as an interesting read, but I am not sure if the characters themselves learned the lessons the book attempts to teach.
This is a very sweet book.  I enjoyed it but also felt something was missing. I do think it was me and the not book because I have been in a Rom-Com kick lately.
People meet on London buses, find love, loss, advice and stories. The Loss Ticket is charming and bittersweet, with engaging characters and lots of intertwining stories.  Frank met a girl on a bus in 1962, lost her phone number written on a ticket and spends the next 60 years looking for her on the same bus.  He meets and helps lots of fellow riders though the years and never loses hope about finding her (he never got her name).   She changed his life, giving him the courage to defy his parents and become an actor, and he changed the loves of others along the way.  A beautifully written book, The Lost Ticket is memorable.
What a sweet and quirky book!  LOVED it.  I had read & enjoyed the author's "Last Chance Library", so was thrilled to read her latest, "The Lost Ticket".  "Found Family" trope at its very best in this story of Libby, who's going through a lot with her crap bf & family, and Frank, an elderly & demented passenger on the 88 bus who pines for a chance encounter from 60 years ago.  Dylan the care giver also stole my heart!  Highly recommend it.  My sincere thanks to the publisher and Net Galley for the complimentary DRC, the exchange of which did not affect my review.
Damn it, how many times did Freya Sampson make me cry while reading this? Answer: too many. This just book is just so wonderful. Sweet, funny, sad, charming, heart-warming. I loved everything about Libby, Frank, and Dylan. If you need a feel-good book and don't mind getting a little (or a lot) weepy, pick this one up!
Thank you to Berkley Publishing Group and NetGalley for the opportunity to read the book in exchange for an honest review. The Lost Ticket by Freya Sampson is a delightful book filled with feel-good moments as well as struggles for the characters. They all end up growing and changing as the novel moves forward and accepting that life isn’t what they planned.

It begins with Frank – who has been searching for the “girl” of his dreams. He met her once on a bus when he was a young man in 1962 and lost her contact information but never stopped thinking about her. So much so that he kept riding that bus every day in the hope that she might resurface. Sixty years later, Frank is not facing early stage dementia. Frank meets Libby – also on the bus -- who is convinced to help Frank find his red-headed girl.

Frank has a part time care-giver named Dylan who is 30 years old and loves taking care of Frank. He’s not at all what he appears to be based on how he presents himself to the world: mohawk, tattoos, punk clothing, etc. Inside he’s a dear man and becomes an important character in the story.

Libby – is struggling with her self-image after having been dumped by the man she thought she was going to marry and is now moving in with her older sister and helping take care of her sister’s child.
It ends happily overall despite some setbacks here and there for each of them. Rich characters, great dialogue and a strong storyline.
Sweet story!  I love the premise; an Octogenarian continuously rides London's 88 bus in hopes of once again finding a girl he met 60 years before.  She had scrawled her number on a bus ticket before debarking but alas, once home, the man finds he has lost the ticket.
60 years later another young woman, fresh from her own broken relationship teams up with some unlikely strangers as she decides to help Frank find his lost love.  She feels her own life is aimless, and maybe helping Frank as he moves towards the loss of his independence just might help her gain her own.
This is a book about friendship, diversity, and finding the courage to embrace life as opposed to having it dictated to you.  It's a good lesson in taking the lead in our own life and accepting the past as just that...the past.
A good read.
Thank you NetGalley and Berkley Publishing Group for early access to this novel.  I enjoyed it very much.
Libby arrives in London dumped, homeless, and unemployed. On her way to crash with her demanding sister, she meets elderly Frank on the bus. He tells her that in 1962 he met a girl on the number 88 bus with red hair just like hers who changed his life. They made plans for a date at the National Gallery, but Frank lost her number. For the past sixty years, he’s ridden the same bus trying to find her.

Libby is inspired to action and, with the help of unlikely companion Dylan, she papers the bus route with posters advertising their search. But Frank’s dementia progresses quickly and their chance of finding the girl on the 88 bus is slipping away.

Libby’s going through a painful breakup with her long-term boyfriend, and her relationship with her patronizing sister who has taken her in is equally stressful. Connecting with Frank allows Libby to throw herself into something and the two of them come to mean a great deal to one another. Along the way she meets his caregiver, punk-styled sweetheart Dylan, who stole the show for me.

I read this book in two sittings. Libby’s family and her ex-boyfriend were too awful to be believable and the big misunderstanding a bit of a stretch, but overall it’s a charming story about life choices and found family.