Cover Image: Carrie Soto Is Back

Carrie Soto Is Back

When I picked up Malibu Rising, I didn't know what I was getting into.  I was having a serious case of FOMO and decided to read it because everyone was recommending it.  I absolutely loved that book!  And while I strongly disliked her in Malibu Rising, I knew that as soon as I saw Carrie Soto was getting her own book, that I wanted to read her story.  I highly enjoyed this book.  I couldn't put it down.  The writing was superb and it kept me engaged in the story.  I love books about tennis players and this book makes me want to read more.  Reading through tough and important matches in her life was a great way to learn more about Carrie.  While she is still not my favorite character, I have so much more respect for her after reading this book.  Make sure this is on your summer reading list!
I have and will always love the fictional celebrities and their stories that TJR writes. From Evelyn Hugo to Daisy Jones to Nina Riva and now Carrie Soto, every single one of them is messy and flawed and feels like a real person  and its just captivating to read about. I always read the books and think about the main characters and story for literal weeks after, trying to figure out who they are and and pick apart the small details and its the same here with Carrie. She's ambitious, ruthless, cold, and determined. She goes after exactly what she wants on the court even as almost everybody around her said she couldn't, said she was too old and that she should have let it go and stayed in retirement. They called her both the battle axe and the bitch and almost always in unkind ways. But the thing is she almost never cared what people said, she took what she wanted and ran with it, and if she didn't have it yet you could almost be sure she would soon one way or another.
When I heard we were getting a book about her I thought back to the little we saw of her in Malibu Rising and thought wow this ones gonna be interesting how is this all gonna play out? And it was indeed interesting and I never knew where it was going till it was over honestly. I love the way this book was set up too, it took you through how Carrie grew up and how she trained to become the battle axe in the first place and why her dad is so important to her and just how much that means and then it switches to present as you follow her through the comeback as the months and matches go by. Carrie and her dad aren't the only characters we get to know either, I really enjoyed Bowe Huntley, Gwen and Nikki chan too. They were really cool and each changed the story a lot, which is weird because I really expected to hate Nikki but Its the opposite. I'll probably be thinking about more things I missed and wanna say between now and publish date but for now, after finishing this book about 20 minutes ago, this is all Ive got. TJR does not miss I'll tell you that much. Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this early.
๐‚๐š๐ซ๐ซ๐ข๐ž ๐’๐จ๐ญ๐จ ๐ˆ๐ฌ ๐๐š๐œ๐ค โฃ
By Taylor Jenkins Reid โฃ
โญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโฃ
Format: Kindle โฃ
โฃ
"๐˜”๐˜ข๐˜บ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ช๐˜ต'๐˜ด ๐˜ข ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ท๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฑ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ท๐˜ฆ ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜บ๐˜ด ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ. ๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ท๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ข๐˜ฃ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ณ๐˜ข๐˜ธ ๐˜ข ๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ณ๐˜ข๐˜ช๐˜จ๐˜ฉ๐˜ต ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ง๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜บ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜บ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ'๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ต ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ. ๐˜ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ'๐˜ต ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ท๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ค๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ต. ๐˜ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ฆ, ๐˜ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ฌ. ๐˜‘๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ต ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ." โฃ
โฃ
TJR so quickly pulls me into her worlds I honestly question how these characters are not real people. When I saw this book was coming out I immediately knew I needed to read it. โฃ
โฃ
*๐๐ž๐ญ๐†๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ž๐ฒ ๐ ๐š๐ฏ๐ž ๐ฆ๐ž ๐ž๐š๐ซ๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐š๐œ๐œ๐ž๐ฌ๐ฌ ๐›๐ž๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ๐ž ๐ข๐ญโ€™๐ฌ ๐ซ๐ž๐ฅ๐ž๐š๐ฌ๐ž ๐ข๐ง ๐€๐ฎ๐ ๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ญ (๐ฅ๐ข๐ญ๐ž๐ซ๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐ฌ๐œ๐ซ๐ž๐š๐ฆ๐ข๐ง๐ !!)*โฃ
โฃ
Carrie Soto reminds me of an anti-hero on their journey to self discovery. I already had pre-judgments of this character from her small part in "Malibu Rising" and they were not the most positive. This book helps flip that perspective, but what I appreciate the most that TJR did was she never changed Carrie Soto to make us love her. I feel I grew to love her toughness/vulnerabilities and the woman she is. โฃ
โฃ
This is a standalone but I would highly recommend reading "๐Œ๐š๐ฅ๐ข๐›๐ฎ ๐‘๐ข๐ฌ๐ข๐ง๐ " before this one, to get even more of a feel of the world TJR has pulled us into. Also, because in an evil way I would love all readers of this one to already have judgments towards Carrie Soto and have them completely flipped by the end. โฃ
โฃ
"๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜'๐˜ท๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜บ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ณ. ๐˜›๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ ๐˜ด๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜จ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ด. ๐˜ ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜จ๐˜ฉ๐˜ต ๐˜'๐˜ฅ ๐˜จ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ง๐˜ข๐˜ณ, ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ ๐˜ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ท๐˜ฆ," ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ด๐˜ข๐˜ช๐˜ฅ ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฒ๐˜ถ๐˜ช๐˜ฆ๐˜ต ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฏ๐˜ช๐˜จ๐˜ฉ๐˜ต. "๐˜š๐˜ฐ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜บ ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต ๐˜ฅ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ฎ ๐˜ง๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ?" โฃ
โฃ
Many thanks to NetGalley and Random House Publishing / Ballantine for sharing this amazing digital reviewer copy of one of the most anticipated books of 2022 in exchange my honest opinions.
Taylor Jenkins Reid is back! This time, with โ€œCarrie Soto is Back,โ€ a book roaring with heart about Carrie Soto, a tennis star who comes out of retirement with a mission to reclaim her recently broken Grand Slam record. This is an unforgettable story about what it means to be a champion and the lessons Carrie must learn to finally understand itโ€™s about a lot more than a record.

I will be the first to admit that I may be a bit biased in my review. I donโ€™t care. I played competitive tennis my entire life, so when I saw one of my favorite authors was coming out with a book about a tennis star I was all in. TJR did an incredible job explaining the sport from fundamentals to strategy to competition to the hurdles women face in the game and so much more. She truly did the sport justice and Iโ€™m grateful to her for getting it right. Some have complained the book is too tennis heavy, but Iโ€™m not exactly sure how you can complain about book being heavy on tennis when itโ€™s literally pitched as a story about tennis. Yes, someone like myself who played the sport will read the tennis aspects with ease, but even someone not as familiar with the sport will find it easy to follow. Reid definitely did her homework. Also, donโ€™t let the tennis distract from the heart of the story, which is about a champion accepting her worth with or without the sport.

I loved our unconventional heroine Carrie. A lot of people are finding her a less than likable character but that falls right into the point Reid was making with her character. Was she unlikeable because she was a bad person or was she unlikeable because she was an assertive, confident woman who wasnโ€™t afraid to call someone out or say exactly what she was thinking. I found her to be a complex, vulnerable and relatable character who struggled with her self worth, adored her father and was tentative to believe in love based on failed past relationships and the void left from her mother passing. Her journey with the sport read almost as real-time memoir and I also enjoyed the story format with newscaster interviews and newspaper articles leading up to her tournaments.

Reid is known for her ability to create her own universe with unforgettable characters and while I loved Carrie, I wonโ€™t soon forget Javier. This is very much a story about the bond between a coach and his protege but more so about a father and his baby girl. Itโ€™s touching, emotional and another reason I adored this book. I was also a fan of Bowe and the romance sprinkled into the pages as Soto makes her comeback. One character I was happy to see very little of was Mick Riva. I liked Malibu Rising, but I didnโ€™t love the characters, so I was happy to see quite a bit of distance between the two worlds and very little overlap.

Whether you play tennis or not, this book will touch your heart. Youโ€™ll be right in the stands cheering on Soto as she transitions from champion to underdog to legend.
I was immersed in the world of Carrie Soto.  I have never  been a tennis player but I was into the story.  Carrie Soto was the world's best tennis player in her 20s, holding the most Grand Slam titles, the most Wimbledon wins, etc.  She retires after an injury, only to make a comeback years later when her record is threatened.  She sets out to once again prove that she is the best of the best.

This is a character driven story that immerses you in the world of competitive tennis.  Carrie (and her father before her) are known in the tennis world.  We get to see a complicated father/daughter relationship develop - not only does Carrie have a single father, but he is also her tennis coach.  She doesn't have many friends due to a life of tennis and ruthless competition.  Her personal relationships are often strained.  We are able to take a deep dive into Carrie's life, professional tennis, and the mind of a tennis star.  Carrie is fierce and you will root for her, time and again.

Fans of TJR will find this book to be written in the style of Daisy Jones, with articles and other headlines dispersed throughout the novel.  I was sad for this one to end because I know it will be a long time before I get a new TJR.
Just a forewarning: thereโ€™s a lot of gameplay and talk about tennis in this book. As someone who doesnโ€™t know anything about the sport, I was overwhelmed when I first started reading โ€œCarrie Soto is Back.โ€ However, I feel like the book would be severely lacking without all the details and explanations TJR includes. A good chunk of the book is spent on Carrieโ€™s training throughout childhood and into adulthood in order to give the reader a baseline knowledge of the game and what it takes to play at the competitive level. If you can get through all of that, I promise this is worth the read.

Carrie Soto is a character you have to let grow on you. Sheโ€™s rough around the edges, very closed off, and completely wrapped up in the world of tennis and all the rivalries that come with it. I loved seeing the relationship between Carrie and her dad throughout the book, how she found common ground with another player in a similar situation, and how her attitude changed toward a sport that dominated her entire life.

Overall Iโ€™d give this book a 4.25 star rating out of 5. While I enjoyed this book, the depth of knowledge you had to have about tennis was a little overwhelming and at times I found myself struggling to follow certain aspects of the game. Itโ€™s another great read from TJR, but it doesnโ€™t quite measure up to โ€œMalibu Risingโ€ and โ€œSeven Husbandsโ€ in my opinion.

Thank you to NetGalley and Random House for this ARC!
I loved Carrie and her dad.I would never understand that level of commitment and all consuming lifestyle. I didn't know the world of tennis, but this taught me so much. I was always team comeback and team Carrie.
Thank you Netgalley for the advance copy.

I loved Daisy Jones. I loved Malibu Rising and I loved Evelyn Hugo. I can not begin to say how much I LOVE Carrie Soto. Carrie is a flawed driven character. Her father, a tennis star in his own right coaches Carrie to a record breaking career. But when she has a challenger to that record she must face her demons to stage a comeback. But should she at 37 after 5 years of retirement? That's for you to decide. What I will say though is that Carrie does a lot of growing and maturing during her comeback season!

I highly recommend this newest Taylor Jenkins Reid. And as always, if you look there are references to her other books, which I just find to be fun! (less)
TJR is an automatic read for me.  I love everything she's written.  Going into this story, I had 0 interest in Professional Tennis, but will not be following all the things!
Mucho bueno!! What a fantastic book! Iโ€™m certainly a fan of Taylor Jenkins Reid but this book may be her best. I love playing tennis but you donโ€™t have to in order to enjoy this book. The writing is so smooth, so enticing & heartwarming, too. If you enjoy sports or even just a great fictional book, pick this one up & dive in!!
I love all Taylor Jenkins Reid books - she is so good at creating strong female characters that inspire, and Carrie Soto is Back is another perfect example of this.  This book chronicles Carrie Soto's rise, fall, and attempted return to tennis superstardom.  I went into this book knowing absolutely nothing about tennis, and I won't lie - the book is heavy on tennis terminology and game theory that at times, I couldn't fully follow.  However, this didn't matter because the beauty of the story is found in Carrie's personal growth and development, and her relationships with the people around her.  I loved the father/daughter relationship in this book, as well as the dynamic between Carrie and Bowe. I think any fan of TJR's previous work will love this book!  Thank you NetGalley and Random House for the opportunity to read this ARC.
My favorite thing about Taylor Jenkins Reid's books is the atmosphere she creates. <i>Daisy Jones and the Six</i> lets you immerse yourself in the dynamics of a 1970s rock and roll group. <i>Malibu Rising</i> hits just the right note of surf culture in Southern California. But <i> Carrie Soto is Back</i> is totally different. It's a character study of the best women's tennis player the world has ever seen as she decides to stage a comeback to prevent her record from being taken over by a younger player. Carrie is difficult, arrogant, and unflinching in her quest to be the best tennis player in the world. She's also a character that you cannot help but cheer on as pursues her goal. The atmosphere that we come to expect in TJR's books is still there, namely through the commentary that we get from people in sports media who want to see Carrie put in her place for daring to be the best and knowing it.

I absolutely adored this book. The tension TJR creates between the matches feels like actually watching a tennis game. The secondary characters are fantastic, and I'm hoping that we'll see Nicki Chan again in future books.

Thank you NetGalley for the ARC of this book.
I was a bit skeptical since this book was about a tennis player and I know nothing about the sport. I should know not to doubt TJR. Loved the book! Such a moving story. Could not put it down and it pulled at my heartstrings a bit
TJR is an auto-buy author for me & this newest book from her just proves why.
I have never cared about tennis a day in my life but this story was absolutely
E V E R Y T H I N G.

She is a masterful storyteller that brings so much life to her characters that they feel so REAL. You feel like youโ€™re inside her stories & living them. She manipulates readers emotions like a fiddle & creates dynamic, incredibly developed stories.

There is so much to love about Carrie Soto is Back. The father/daughter relationship is absolutely amazing. I was so envious of what they had. Carries work ethic & ability to dominate was incredible. I adored her & Bowe. (โ€œYou are perfect. Even in your imperfections. ๐Ÿฅน๐Ÿ˜ญ) Their chemistry. Their friendship. His relationship with Jav. All of it.

I cried multiple times. I laughed out loud. I never wanted this one to end.

This releases August 30th & is a MUST buy. Thanks to @netgalley for my e-copy.

This gets every single star โœจ
I loved Malibu Rising and Evelyn Hugo, so reading another of Reidโ€™s books was a no brainer. It didnโ€™t disappoint in the slightest. Carrie is unlikeable in every single way, but every motivation is well understood, and one canโ€™t help but root for her to succeed despite everything being against her. She learns lessons both on and off the court, and the ending is extremely satisfying. Also, I love the nods to her previous books, tucked in like Easter eggs.

Thank you to NetGalley and Random House for the ARC.
TJR has become one of my favorite auto buy authors! So I was thrilled to get this eArc! I absolutely love her writing style and finding her easter egg characters in each story.

I loved how Carrie Soto started out as kind of a villain but you end up loving her by the end!
Iโ€™m not a huge tennis fan and donโ€™t know much about the sport so I loved how she shortened the tennis matches enough that you didn't get bored but didn't miss out the important stuff.

5/5 stars!

I canโ€™t wait to read what she comes out with next!

Thank you NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group for the advanced readers copy of this book!
Thank you to NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine, Ballantine Books for allowing me the privilege to read this ARC. Taylor Jenkins Reid has done it again! Just like her other written works including Evelyn Hugo, Daisy Jones and the Six, and Malibu Rising, you will find that you become enthralled with the storyline from the very beginning. The premise of the book is about a well known and talented tennis player, Carrie Soto, and documents her rise to fame. Along the way you learn about her life outside of the tennis court and many relationships including her father (who is her coach) and on again/off again relationship with Bowe.. After winning many Slams as well as Wimbledon, Carrie retires, but then decides to come back to the tennis court in her early 40โ€™s to see if she can win it all again. You will find yourself rooting for her on and off the court. By the end of the story, I found myself thinking that Carrie was a real person, which is exactly the same experience I had while reading Daisy Jones and the Six. (Taylor even mentions Carrie reading about Daisy Jones in the book, which I thought was so clever.) I truly felt like I was reading a memoir. Taylorโ€™s writing style also keeps the storyline moving along, so you never feel like there is a lull. I couldnโ€™t put it down and kept wanting to get back to the characters in the story and see what was going to happen next. If you enjoy books that are character and plot driven, then you will love this one! Highly recommend! Comes out Aug 30, 2022. 5 stars!!
Thank you #netgalley for this ARC! I love Taylor Jenkins Reid and pretty sure anything she writes I will love! Female ambition, resilience, determination and refusal to accept less than what they deserve this book has it all. The father-daughter storyline also got me as the sibling relationships in Malibu Rising did. TJR just knows how to create the most incredible and flawed characters that you will love as if they were your own family!
Thank you to Ballentine and NetGalley for allowing me to read this early!

Taylor Jenkins Reid has done it again. I had such a great time reading this book, as I have with all of her books. Everything in this little universe she's created has been so engaging and heartfelt, and 'Carrie Soto' is no exception.

[Highs]

* The characters.  She's a master at creating believable characters you create a relationship with (whether you like them or not).

* 90's Nostalgia. I grew up in the 90's, so of course I smiled at every 90's reference.

* Her writing style.

[Lows]

* Pretty much my only complaint is that it felt a little rushed to me.

[Potential Triggers]

* Loss of Parent

[A Note ]
If you haven't read 'Malibu Rising' and are wondering if you need to read it to understand this one, the answer is 'Nope, you don't.'

HOWEVER, the one reference to Malibu Rising is a spoiler, so if you're planning on reading both, read 'Malibu Rising' first.
Iโ€™m a huge fan of Taylor Jenkins Reid, but I didnโ€™t expect to enjoy Carrie Soto. First, I donโ€™t play or have a big interest in tennis. Second, almost from the beginning Carrie was not the most likable character Iโ€™ve come across. But she grew on me. The book opened a world of competition and interest that I hadnโ€™t experienced before. I ended up reading this in one sitting as I have all of Ms Reidโ€™s books! I rooted for Carrie to make her comeback and loved watching her grow as a human. Excellent read!