Cover Image: Within These Gilded Halls

Within These Gilded Halls

Unfortunately, Within These Gilded Halls fell just a bit flat for me, and I had such high hopes for this book because Abigail Wilson is a great author and I had heard such great things about it. Just wasn’t my cup of tea.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a review and opinions are my own.
4.75 ⭐️

I'll admit it: I'm one of those readers who judges a book by its cover because, well, it's the first thing I see. A beautiful cover catches my eye. Within These Gilded Halls has a stunning cover, and I almost wanted to read it just because of the cover alone. I've never read a book by Abigail Wilson before, mainly because I'm always reading something WW2-related, but I wanted to give this book a try. I'm so glad I did!

Within These Gilded Halls is, honestly, one of the first regency romance books I've read and loved. I don't know why I'm not the biggest fan of regency romances--maybe because a lot of the storylines feel overused or their plots are too predictable. The author took me by surprise with this book in the best way possible.

What I loved most about this book was the Pride & Prejudice (2005 movie) vibes this book gave me. Graham and Phoebe were literally another Mr. Darcy and Lizzie to me in that what they first despised about each other became the very thing they fell in love with once they spent time with each other and began to understand the other. This was so beautiful and well done. The switch from seeing each other as enemies to acquaintances, and then to friends and more than friends, was paced perfectly. It definitely made their interactions with each other feel so much more believable.

There were some great redemption threads in this story that I absolutely loved. None of the characters were perfect; in fact, they were quite human. They made mistakes, wrestled with guilt over them, and experienced the same fears of rejection that all of us do. If we truly allow someone to see us for who we are, mistakes and all, will we still be lovable? Phoebe's character wrestles a lot with this, and it was a solid character arc in the book.

I honestly don't really have any complaints with this book. It was clean, faith-filled, touching, and exciting. I'd absolutely read it again and recommend it to friends.

"Running toward something, even with the best of intentions, can also mean running away from something else."

"People are not always what they seem or defined by one bad decision."

Thank you to NetGalley and the author for an eARC of Within These Gilded Halls. A positive review was not required, only my honest opinion. All thoughts are expressly my own.
An intriguing murder mystery made better by a budding romance developed through a treasure hunt.

I originally wanted to read this for the romance, but was completely hooked once I got to the murder. All of the characters were well developed, and had their own ways of acting suspicious. I had so much fun trying to guess who was involved with what, even if, as usual, most of my guesses were entirely off the mark.

Despite the murder aspect, this was a fairly lighthearted, quick read that I really enjoyed.

This was my first book by Abigail Wilson, but I’ll definitely be reading more soon.

Thanks to NetGalley & the publisher for gifting me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review - opinions expressed are my own.
Thank you to Netgalley and Thomas Nelson--fiction for the ARC.  The opinions expressed are my own.  This is the first book of the author's that I've read.  It worked well as a stand alone book as I haven't read the previous books.  The mistress of Avonthorpe Hall, Miss Drake, has enlisted the help of Phoebe, a budding artist, to renovate the ballroom.  She's also working with her childhood friend, Daniel.  Restoration work has taken awhile and we are introduced to the other characters, including Miss Drake's nephew Lt Burke. Suddenly, Miss Drake is found murdered .  Phoebe finds her and hears her dying words.  She has been entrusted with clues leading to the great Drake family treasure.

Phoebe's acquaintance with Lt Burke grows slowly but strengthens as he helps Phoebe to solve the clues.  As Lt Burke is the heir, Avonthorpe Hall and its treasure are to be his.  With her restoration work, her treasure map clues and trying to determine who murdered Miss Drake, there's still time for a budding romance to develop.  The book has a somewhat gothic feel combined with some historical aspects, romance and of course, murder.  A wonderful combination for an entertaining read.  I was guessing until the end who murdered Miss Drake.  The clues to the treasure were clever and thoughtfully rendered.  The characters were engaging and interesting.  I give it 4 stars, I will be reading more of Abigail Wilson's books.
I would give this book about 3.5 stars; it started at a 3 for me but ended as a 4. I’ve read books by Abigail Wilson before and enjoyed them, but the start of this book felt a little rushed or less well thought through than some of her others. Certain interactions and relationships felt rushed or as if I had missed a chapter or two. By the middle of the book when the treasure hunt that adds a sense of urgency and intrigue really gets going, I felt like the story really hit its stride. There’s a nice mix of mystery, drama, past secrets and recriminations, espionage, and romance. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an early copy in exchange for an honest review.
Talented author Abigail Wilson spins a true gothic tale with "Within These Gilded Halls". Phoebe Radcliff, daughter of Lord Torrington from "Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey" pairs with Graham Burke to solve his aunt's murder. Add in a treasure hunt replete with clever, cryptic clues, and the result is a fast-paced novel that will have the reader guessing along.

With multiple viable suspects, it is not readily apparent who killed Miss Drake. Characters are well-drawn, and Phoebe and Graham's mutual antipathy gradually evolves into a lovely romance. Wilson's research into antiquarians and what they actually do is enlightening, as well. Her prose is evocative with few grammatical errors. Ewan got his story and if there's ever someone who deserves a HEA, it's Juliana. I have read all of Abigail Wilson's works and have enjoyed them all. Each stands alone. 4.5 stars

Thanks to NetGalley and Thomas Nelson Fiction for an ARC of this intriguing novel.
Jane Austen meets National Treasure in Abigail Wilson's latest book, Within These Gilded Halls. The story follows Phoebe Radcliffe who is older and wiser following her part in the plot of Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey. Following the events of that book she has eagerly accepted a position refurbishing the deteriorating painting in the ballroom of renowned artist, Miss Drake.

But when her mentor is murdered and Phoebe is surrounded by a cast of suspicious characters, she struggles to discover who she can trust and who wishes her ill intent.

In order to figure out who murdered Miss Drake, Phoebe has to find a treasure hidden long ago on the estate. With clue after clue told in confusing riddles she feels she is taking one step closer and two steps back with every piece of information uncovered.

With the help of Lt. Graham Burke, Miss Drake's enigmatic nephew, she races to uncover the truth as forces conspire against her in this latest gothic tale from the oh so talented Abigail Wilson.
Within These Gilded Halls is another fabulous read by Abigail Wilson. I loved it. It will be getting a very well deserved five plus stars.
If you've been following the previous books, this time it's Phoebe Radcliffe who stumbles upon a murder mystery as her art mentor is killed and she isn't sure who to trust at Avonthorpe manor.  But it's not just a murder mystery, it's also a treasure hunt! I love a good treasure hunt. I really liked Phoebe, I understood her hang ups about the past and I was really happy when she had a particular heart to heart that enabled her to let go of her guilt. Graham as our hero is equally likeable with his bit of antiquities nerdiness.  There is always more than meets the eye to Abigail Wilson's characters, they aren't one dimensional. Dare I say the treasure added a bit more lightheartedness to this one than the previous ones? It's a bit less gothic in my opinion, which was a refreshing change of pace.  It's not a spoiler to say that Montague from Moorington Cross shows up, and I have hope he will carry forward and be paired up with Juliana Radcliffe in a future book. We have to get Juliana her HEA right?! Oh and just a side point, but I appreciate that Abigail Wilson teaches me something obscure in her books, this time it was drizzling or parfilage in french.  Who knew such a thing was a hobby? Those little details show how well researched these books are. A solid 4.5 stars for me. I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Within These Gilded Halls: A Regency Romance by Abigail Wilson is a great historical fiction and romance that I truly enjoyed.

I have read several books by Ms. Wilson, and I have loved every one of them. She has a real talent for crafting a narrative that is rich in history, detail, complex characters, mystery, suspense, and they always keep me entertained. The romances are also subtle, beautifully described, and seem to slowly bloom…naturally. A perfect balance.

And this novel did not disappoint. I also loved the archeological details and content that was intertwined within the plot. It made it even more fascinating to me.

I liked Phoebe Radcliff and Lt. Graham Burke. Both are realistic, likable, and complement each other well…it only took a while for them to notice it! The murder/mystery also was great and I just really enjoyed the book overall.

Definitely recommend.

5/5 stars

Thank you NG and Thomas Nelson for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.

I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication on 10/4/22.