Cover Image: A Broken Blade

A Broken Blade

This is a new author for me but was quite hyped on social media through bookish box as one of their subscription monthly book.

Honestly this story was very slow and dragged for a good portion of the book. It is an interesting concept but execution was rough. My expectation was a tad higher because a couple of people promoted to me if I like Throne of Glass I would enjoy this.. not so much unfornately.  I could not sympathize or connect to any of the character. Overall an okay read. Won’t be continuing on this series though.

Received a copy from NetGalley for an honest review.
I could not put this book down from the very start and I’m now counting down the days until the next book is out!!!!!

I was 100% hooked to everything about this book, but I was especially hooked on the world building, it was so beautifully written and described throughout! I also love love love the main character Keera, she is so unbelievably broken in the beginning and the author wrote it with such a believable and empathetic way! But throughout Keeras journey we see her learn and find strength within to get herself on to a better track!

I am so unbelievably excited for the next book because oh my goodnesssss that plot twist right in the last chapter!!!!!!

Thank you Netgalley and Publisher for this Arc!!
For any fan of Sarah Maas. It is Thorn of Glass meets Cour of Thorns and Roses with a twist of Robin Hood. The book is fast pace. Keera is very loyal kings soldier eventhough she know kings is evil and cruel to his citizens especially her people. Can she keep her loyalty and still be kind person?
***4.5***

Overall,
I can see this book / series becoming incredibly popular. I found it very engaging and fast paced. The world building is pretty good, the character growth is great and the romance is very slow burn enemies to lovers. Keera is the Kings Assassin, a trope we have seen in many fantasy retellings at this point, but what follows is an incredibly interesting tale of tragedy, grief, and fighting for what is right.

Cover
I really like this cover; the glowing eyes were the first things that drew me in. Why are they glowing? I want to know! Well, no spoilers but you find out in the book.

Recommendation
If you are fans of high fantasy with Elves and Fae I recommend this to you. I don’t generally like to compare books to others unless it feels like a blatant rip off. This book felt very original to me and I can’t wait for everyone to delve into this world. I also can’t wait for the next book in the series to come out. It didn’t not end on to big of a cliff hanger but there are a lot of questions that still need to be answered.

***I received an ARC of this novel from Netgalley, Union Square & Co, in exchange for my free and honest review. Thank you for the opportunity to read this book early #ABrokenBlade #NetGalley ***
It's got fae, assassins, a mysterious and broody love interest, an enemies to lovers romance with so much tension... OF COURSE I LOVED IT.

I love Keera as an imperfect MC who is accepting & facing everything she has had to do to survive. Riven is my favorite kind of love interest, I really enjoyed the witty banter between characters & the political intrigue.

I highly recommend <3
I tried so hard to like this book, and am so disappointed that I couldn’t get into it.
The characters feel bland and recycled. Not one of them was engaging enough to make me want to  read another chapter.
The main character is every stereotypical fantasy female assassin, and a wanna-be Aelin that lacks the likability and real swagger of the character.
The plot is predictable, and it feels like drudging through knee deep mud to get further through the book.
A Broken Blade follows Keera, a halfling who serves the mortal King as an assassin and spy. Known as the King's Blade, Keera is the best of the Shades. Someone nicknamed the Shadow begins wrecking chaos. Keera is sent by the King to hunt them down, but the things she learns along the way make her question everything.
Throughout the entire book, I kept loving how perfectly Melissa Blair paired an inticing plot with super interesting characters. The more I learned about Keera, the more I loved her. The witty snaps the characters took at each other were fantastic. I loved the romantic development, it's among my favorites for sure.
The political intrigue was excellent. The twists were tasteful- they added so much to the story without being outrageous. The characters backstories and their present situations are brutal, but in a way that draws you in and makes you feel for them.
I felt this novel set up perfectly for future books in the series, and I don't know how I'm going to wait for the next installment.
Thank you Netgalley and Publisher for this Arc!!

I was cautious going into this one because of all the hype on social media but I found this to be absolutely deserving of some hype!

This story has everything.  A broody assassin who is drowning her pain in alcohol.  She is not as heartless as she seems.   Her job may be to kill as the king's Blade, but she can't let go of any death she causes.  Mix this in with another broody persona, known as the Shadow, who has a price on his head and we have an amazing book ya'll!!!

There is deception. There is suspence. And, throughout it all, romance!! I highly recommend this to fans of fantasy!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️✨ 4.5/5

𝙂𝙚𝙣𝙧𝙚: Fantasy series (book 1)
𝙁𝙤𝙧𝙢𝙖𝙩: eARC

𝙁𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙌𝙪𝙤𝙩𝙚:
“The weight you bear is not your punishment, Keera. It is your heart. One day it will stop bleeding.“

“Keera,” Riven said, looking at the dagger in my hands and then gazing out the window. “You could cut me worse than any blade.”

𝙒𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙄 𝙇𝙤𝙫𝙚𝙙:
Fae, elves, halflings, and magic
Enemies to lovers romance
Morally gray assassin
Broody fae male
Political secrets and deception
Couldn’t put this one down!

𝙁𝙪𝙡𝙡 𝙍𝙚𝙫𝙞𝙚𝙬:
This was a book that made me want to shirk all my adult responsibilities so I could stay home and keep reading. The story absolutely sucked me in and I am already counting down until the next book is out!

We’ve got Dark Fae, elves, humans, and halflings; an evil king, a broody fae male, and a morally gray assassin; political secrets and deception, mixed with an enemies to lovers romance that is filled with romantic tension… what MORE could you want in a fantasy book?!

I really love to MC, Keera. She feels everything so deeply and I loved watching her begin to face all the horrible things she’s been forced to do. She’s an MC that is far from perfect, and it’s just so refreshing. Riven is a cold, broody fae male, but let me just say I think he is SO swoony. I can’t say more because *spoilers*, but I really loved him.

This was such a fun adventure and I am really looking forward to what comes next. Fantasy lovers, I definitely recommend checking this one out!
~ This is an Arc review., all opinions are my own ~

4.5/5✨
1/5 🌶

I loved this book so much and it caught me of guard as I did not expect it.

What felt like Throne of Glass fan fiction at the start turned into this amazing story with love, trauma, found family, plot twists and so much more!

Not often does the forst book in the series give so much as this one did and I am here for it! Definitely one of favorite reads on the year.
Full disclosure, I did start this book a month ago, got to ~13% and couldn't get into it. I finally picked it back up and DEVOURED the rest of the book in a single night. After the initial slow start, this book is excellent.

Keera is the King's Blade - a Halfling trained for decades and chosen by the king to act as his personal spy and assassin. A mysterious figure dubbed the Shadow has been making moves against the crown, and Keera is sent to kill him and quell the mounting unrest. Of course, Keera has other plans after she meets the Shadow and his comrades.

I'm so glad I pushed through the beginning exposition because the ENDING. That ending. I am... shocked? Upset? Definitely in need of book 2.

4 out of 5 stars.
I really liked this debut! Overall, I really liked this book but I did think that the first half of the novel was a bit slow in terms of pacing. I also don't know if I would say this idea is super unique/new because I found a lot of pretty common tropes/themes present in YA fantasy. Regardless, I really enjoyed the writing and the narrative voice! Unfortunately, I wasn't really a huge fan of the romance present in this novel, but I think that a lot of people *will* enjoy that aspect--I just wish that the side characters were a bit more fleshed out, but the depth we get from the MC is pretty good! I'm looking forward to continuing with this series and author!
⭐️⭐️⭐️💫/5

An engaging debut fantasy novel!

The story is in the first person point of view of Keera, a highly trained assassin known as the King’s Blade. When a mysterious figure known only as ‘The Shadow’ moves against the crown, Keera is called upon to hunt him down. In this world wrought with corruption, Fae, Elves, Halflings and Mortals alike struggle for freedom against oppression.

I enjoyed this book but did find the first half slow. I found it difficult to maintain interest initially. Furthermore, there were a lot of common tropes and themes, used in fantasy, found in this novel. Among them: a morally grey MC with a troubled/traumatic past, slow burn enemies to lovers romance, one bed, hidden identities, mysterious love interest and a ‘surprising’ betrayal from someone close. So many common themes/tropes meant that this story lacked originality. I also found the romance a little forced and the side characters a little underdeveloped.

That being said I liked the writing style, I enjoyed the political intrigue and I was impressed by the depth of the MC’s character and her internal struggles.

I’m interested to see how this series progresses!

Trigger warnings: Mentions of torture & self harm. Alcoholism. Poverty.
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review
——————————————————————————————————————————————
“My body is made of scars, some were done to me, but most I did to myself”

⚠️ Trigger Warnings ⚠️:
Alcoholism, Addiction, Colonialism, Depression, and Systemic Violence. May be triggering for readers who have experienced Self-harm, Assault, Depression, or Suicidal Ideation.

Keera is an assassin and is known as the King’s Blade. When a mysterious figure known as the Shadow creates chaos as an act against the crown, She’s assigned the task to hunt the Shadow. But as she’s haunted with a promise from the past, as well as the current state of her people, she questions who her real enemy is.

It’s been a while since I read a fantasy book, and this book was amazing! I was hesitant at first because of a lot of disappointment I’ve faced with some recs from booktok, but I’m really glad I read this. There’s a lot of beautiful world building and such complex characters and history behind their flaws and I’m glad the author didn’t shy away from a lot of the serious topics involved in this book. With that said, the beginning of the book was a bit slow for me. I struggled with the first 16 chapters, but after that I couldn’t stop reading it.

Overall, this was an amazing debut novel and I can’t wait for the second book.
I absolutely enjoyed reading A Broken Blade! It was fun and heartbreaking and I honestly can’t wait for the next one!

Characters: 4.5/5
Writing: 4.5/5
Plot: 5/5
Overall: 5/5
This was a really good book. It took me some time to get into it, but then I really started to enjoy it. A great read!
Characters: 4.5/5
Setting: 4/5
Writing: 4.5/5
Steam: none
Plot: 4/5
Overall: 4.5/5

Favorite non-spoilery quote: “I do not pretend to know the details of your pain, but I know the weight of it. I will not judge you for how you lighten the load.”

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Round of applause for booktok, everyone! I was not led astray here (for once). A Broken Blade is so freaking good. It is about Keera, better known as the Blade, who is ordered by the King to track down the mysterious Shadow. She hunts him all the way to the dangerous Faelands, and what she sees there makes her wonder who the real enemy is.

Keera is such a fascinating protagonist. It was very refreshing to have an older woman mc (older than the usual 18-22, anyway.) She is so strong and ruthless and I’m so obsessed with her. Her journey in this book is so raw and powerful.

The Shadow, whose identity will remain a secret, is also one of my favorite characters (though I will not say why because spoilers.) I can’t say much about them, but trust me when I say you will not want to miss meeting them.

This book didn’t have that *spark* for me, which is why it is a 4 star read. I didn’t connect to the characters as much as I would’ve liked, though they all have very distinct personalities.

All in all, I really enjoyed this book. I would have liked it even more if I had read it quicker, but I’ve been busy af so it was not the book’s fault. I definitely recommend this one to fans of NA or adult fantasy, and I am so excited for book two!
I absolutely enjoyed reading A Broken Blade by Melissa Blair! Some of you may know this is the booktok book that was anonymous written but now it is punished with the authors name. It was fun and heartbreaking and I honestly can’t wait for the next one! 4.5 ⭐️
With a beautiful world and complex characters, this was an incredible debut novel. Watching as our main character deals with her alcoholism and her unwanted responsibilities led to very nice character development. After getting to see her open up and accept her past with the help of others, I'm intrigued to see how the end of this book will affect her progress in the next one. The world, magic, and politics involved were everything that I love about fantasy novels. I am beyond excited for this world to continue and see how the author grows in the future.
Wow what a debut ! This features Keera, a halfling indentured as the Kings Blade although you could also describe her as his assassin. The halflings have no choice but to serve as the alternative is death ! Keera is an alcoholic barely keeping up with her roles requirements but her mission to find and kill the illusive and destructive Shadow finds her discovering she cannot bury herself in denial anymore but will have to choose a side although as this ends Keera is very much doubting her choices !
If you love a strong protagonist who can achieve the seemingly impossible you will be behind Keera all the way. She has suffered and indeed has caused suffering but I found myself rooting for her unreservedly. There's a smidge of romance, betrayal and indeed misdirection but the villains are truly odious and when it comes to brotherly love well I wouldn't be surprised if the author has one more shock for Keera. I very much enjoyed this and will definitely look for the next instalment.
This voluntary take is of a copy I requested from Netgalley and my thoughts and comments are honest and I believe fair