Cover Image: The Gunslinger’s Guide to Avoiding Matrimony

The Gunslinger’s Guide to Avoiding Matrimony

This is a western rom-com with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments. Adam is anxious to quit his gunslinger lifestyle, so he heads for the town of Desolation where he can put his past behind him as long as he either gets a job or gets married. When he arrives there is a mass wedding underway and Adam unknowingly gets married to Nora, who needs to have a husband to save her ranch. Adam proceeds to try to get out of the marriage and find a job that he can hold onto while Nora works to hold onto him. There are lots of laughs and great supporting characters.

I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley for my honest voluntary review. I enjoyed this unique western, which is the second book in a series of two, and plan to read the first book.
This was a  steamy, fun, read. This is my first western romance. I will definitely be back for more! While reading this book, I felt like I was back in the time of cowboys and Indians. Also, will the real Adam Brady please stand up?!?!  I didn't get to read book one but I will be going back. This book will make you want to go back in time and find yourself a gunslinger.
Definitely give it a try.
Who would have thought the town he picked to settle down in would have a new rule: Gunslingers welcome—if they get a job…or marry. Well, as he is helping a sassy woman get her father into her wagon, he finds himself accidentally hitched to the woman during the big town wedding celebration. This is a fun read, even with all the problems and obstacles to overcome it's interesting to see how these two independent people handle it.
  I was gifted a copy through NetGalley, my opinion and review are voluntary.
This is the book I had no idea I needed but am oh, so happy I found. I was grinning a few pages in, laughing out loud before the end of Chapter One, and head over heels in love the rest of the way.
If you're in the mood for a feel-good western with snappy dialogue, laugh-out-loud humor, sweet emotion, meddling townspeople, characters you can cheer for, and a story that unfolds in your mind like a movie on the big screen, this is the book for you.

It seems that many of the books being marketed as "Rom-Com" these days are anything but. That is not the case with this one. Labeled as a "Clever Western Romantic Comedy," it's a story that delivers on all points. The pace never slows, McLean's comedic chops are on full display, the characters are engaging, and the "OMG, what's next?" storyline kept me eagerly flipping pages from start to finish. I lost count of the number of times I had to stop and share lines I was laughing over. One of my favorites is this exchange between Adam and Nora when Adam declares, "Darlin', I've wanted you from the moment you dropped a body at my feet." It says so much about this couple and their hilarious "courtship."

While the humor is plentiful, McLean balances it nicely with a depth of emotion that tugs at the heart. There were more than a few "ahs" to go along with all of the "hahas." I also loved how she wove the citizens of Desolation in and out of the story, showing us bits and pieces of their personalities and dropping hints here and there that make me want to know more about them. Here's hoping they all have a story planned for down the road because I want more, more, more of Desolation and those who call it home.

This is the second book in Michelle McLean's Gunslinger series. It can be thoroughly enjoyed as a standalone (as evidenced by my unrelenting laughter) though the main couple from book one, Hitched to the Gunslinger, do have large roles. If you're like me, you'll be downloading Gray and Mercy's story the minute you finish this one.
This is the second book in Michelle Mclean's Gunslinger's series, and I am so happy I got the chance to read this book, it did not disappoint. It is a dual perspective with a marriage of convenience trope. It is a fun western, set in a small town known for picking up the occasional law breaker. It follows Adam is a gunslinger looking to retire and there is only one place he can go Desolation but now this town full of retired outlaws has a couple of new rules to keep this rowdy bunch in line either you get a job or get married, and Adam has no intention of marrying he would just put them in danger but he can’t seem to hang on to a job for the life of him. In comes Nora who is determined to have a husband to save her home not that they need to know that, so when Adam and Nora end up hitched by accident, she is determined to hang on to him for dear life, literally. This book was a hilarious, fun twist on western. The writing is good, the story moves at a good pace as well as the development of the relationship of the characters.  I love Nora. She is such a strong female character and I feel like the dynamic between her, and Adam was perfect. Adam is so endearing, and clumsy, he can’t seem to get out of his way. Just a fun and relaxing book to dive into. It was a great second book and I hope the series continues. Please go check this book out!
Trigger warnings: Blood, Assault
I received an advance ebook, via Netgalley. This review is my own honest opinion.
Loved it!  The romance, the cast, and the plot are all amazing!  I love the humor woven throughout the entire story; it really brought the book to life.  I thought the plot was interesting and original.  The entire cast is one of the best parts of the book.  I love them all, they are so perfectly entwined into each other's lives.  They make you want to live there.  I really hope there is another book in the series.
This is the second book in the Gunslinger's series. I absolutely adored the first book, and it was my all-time favorite western romance ever!! So, I had extremely high expectations when this book came out and let me tell you this book did not disappoint! I absolutely loved Nora and Adam's characters and let me tell you, the sexual tension between the both of them was through the roof. There was a certain splinter scene that I was like come on already and kiss. lol Also as the last book, this is just as hilarious as it is steamy, I absolutely cannot wait for the next book to come out. I really wanted Sunshine to have his book but now I really want Doc and Martha to have their story. lol
Funny and fast paced and better than a lot of other romances I’ve read recently. The lead characters were charming and had nice chemistry. I could’ve used a little more out of Adam indicating that he was falling in love, the pacing got a little funny in places. It almost felt like there were pieces missing, scenes that should’ve been there that developed their relationship a little more. But overall it was a really solid romance, and not in the genre I usually read. I’ve never been one for westerns, but this one was really fun and I’m glad I read it!
Ms. McLean is a new-to-me author so I didn't know what to expect when I picked this book up. I have to admit, the title really got my attention and I was looking forward to a good western rom com. I was not disappointed! Definitely a fun and unique story, my interest was captured from the start and I was engaged till the end.  Being a gunslinger, Adam is being pursued  by a bounty hunter. He makes it to the town of Desolation,  but he is only welcome to stay if he either finds a job or gets married. One of the steadfast rules he lives by is to never get married, but somehow finds himself hitched to Nora. He is determined to "unhitch" himself and get a job instead, but that doesn't quite work out for him. Then there is also the pesky problem of him kind of sort of starting to fall for his bride. Nora has her own reasons for marrying Adam. She is afraid her drunk father will gamble away her home before she has a chance to inherit it. Marrying Adam would solve that problem.
The story definitely kept me interested and engaged till the end and I enjoyed following Nora and Adam's story. They had great chemistry and their interactions were fun and charming. I enjoyed this book and am glad to have had the opportunity to read it.
I received a complimentary copy from Netgalley and am voluntarily leaving my review.
Okay, I honestly requested this book because the title caught my eye - and I am so freaking glad that I did.

This was such a surprise read - hilarious and adorable at the same time; both the MCs had my heart; Adam Brady for his desperate need to retire from the life of a gunslinger and his need to avoid matrimony at the same time and Nora for her need for independence.

Neither want to be married but they honestly have no choice; especially if Adam wants to live in Desolation and Nora wants to keep her farm.

Loved the push and pull between Adam and Nora; but also the shenanigans that the town of Desolation itself - amazing secondary characters that I am looking forward to reading about in the next book.

If you have never tried Western/Cowboy Romance; then this one would be a good choice to pick up!
I really enjoyed this book. Pretty much read the whole thing in a day. It was so exciting to see a tall heroine. All of her insecurities about being “one of the guys” and also being as tall or taller than them was so related for me. The banter between the two was great, the way they got under each others skin made the sexual tension high. The town was one great big family and I loved how they all were determined to help Nora. A fun read perfect for the summer!

Thank you @entangled_publishing @michellemcleanbooks @tlcbooktours and @netgalley for the gifted copy.
Western romance novels are new reads for me. This insta-marriage story is the result of being in the wrong place at the wrong time in a remote western town. To be welcomed into the town, you either marry a local or find steady work as the town is trying to control who makes it their home. Nora and Adam just happen to find themselves at the group marriage ceremony in the Desolation town square but are not paying attention to what's happening as she is attempting to retrieve her drunken father from the saloon.

Welcome husband, but Adam is not looking for a wife rather he was on the run after barely escaping with his hide after his last tryst with a women. Nora needs a husband to secure her families land before her father looses it gambling. This is a Western Rom/Com where its easy to root for their match, as husband and wife.  This can be read as a stand alone in the Gunslinger series. Overall, I liked this story but it did not WOW me.

Thank you Entangled Publishing and TLC Book Tours for the complimentary copy to read and review.
This is the first book I've read by this author. I did enjoy it, though I found it a bit slow. There is heat and humor and the characters - most of them - were likable.
A gunslinger's guide to avoiding matrimony is a funny romantic novel by Michelle Mclean.

Adam Brady is running from bounty hunter Marshall Spurlock and stumbles upon a small town where outlaws can go to hide or retire. He unexpectedly meets an old enemy and  accidentally marries a stubborn, independent woman named Nora. This book is comical and a fun read!

I loved the characters. The interactions between them were so realistic like you would see in your own life. Nora had such supportive friends. She was such a determined and plucky woman that the reader cannot help liking her and relating to her situation. As I read this book, I was rooting for Nora to get her happy ending.

I could see myself reading other books about the other characters in this novel. Mclean really did a great job developing them and giving them their own personalities. This novel was mostly funny but there were a few serious and sad themes. It was written in a truly realistic manner. I could really feel Nora's pain and frustration.

I received ARC in exchange for this review on NetGalley.
What a super cute romance.  Its a sweet, clean, fun romance.  just right for the days when you are looking for soemething easy and fun to read.

Thank you to #netgalley for the ARC which did not impact my review.

3.5 stars rounded to 4.
The Gunslingers Guide to Avoiding Matrimony is set in the Wild West in the fictional town of Desolation, Colorado. Adam, a gunslinger who is running from a bounty hunter, finds himself in Desolation by accident and upon arrival stumbles into a big town wedding… getting himself unintentionally married to Nora, an independent woman who only wants to be married on paper for personal reasons, but doesn't necessarily care to have a relationship.

The town has one rule for newcomers: In 30 days you can either get a job or get married. If neither option is met, get out of town.  Since Adam doesn't want to be hitched, he tries everything he can to secure a job and annul the marriage, while Nora tries everything she can to convince him to stay married without telling him her personal reasons for wanting a marriage on paper. Banter and flirtation ensues between the two, giving them undeniable chemistry.

This book was really cute and pretty silly.  I loved the banter between Adam and Nora.  They had great chemistry, despite not really wanting to be together, at first.  It was funny seeing Adam fail at job after job, while falling for Nora.  This book made me laugh at the ridiculous situations in which Adam found himself.

This was a throwback for me. Growing up I loved reading Western books, such as Annie Oakley and Buffalo Bill biographies, or the Little House on the Prairie series, so it was nice getting back to some reading roots.

This is the 2nd book in the Gunslinger series, but each book can be read as a standalone novel.

As soon as I saw Michelle McLean's was back with another romance set in Desolation, I was smashing that "request" for the ARC. As I said last year in my review for her first in this series (Hitched to the Gunslinger), Westerns REALLY aren't my romance subgenre of choice. For some reason, all I can think is how bad everyone's breath would smell (weirdly, other historical time periods don't bother me in the same way. Dunno why). BUT McLean is such a smart writer with great characters and brilliant, funny dialogue, I was hooked. I appreciated the ALMOST slow-burn pacing in this one, and the nontraditional heroine. I liked that the 3rd act crisis was organic and made sense for all the characters.

She's done it again. Huzzah and cheers!

Thanks to NetGalley and Engtangled Publishing for the ebook ARC. All opinions are mine alone :)
“Darlin’, I’ve wanted you from the moment you dropped a body at my feet. And I knew you were mine from the moment you tossed that bar of soap at me in the bathhouse, trying to get a look at what I was packing.”

Adam Brady, a stressed out, on the run gunslinger with an unfortunate habit of making horrible decisions, has lived his life by two rules: Avoid life-threatening injuries whenever possible, and avoid marriage at all costs. Both rules fly right out the window the moment he stumbles into Desolation. And into the reluctant arms of Nora Schumacher, a walking contradiction who has him tied up in knots from the moment she drops a body at his feet.

This book, which is book two in the Gunslinger’s series, worked just fine as a stand alone seeing as I have not read book one. And I devoured this story! It was so fun and laugh out loud funny! I loved Nora, who is such a bad ass, and I loved Adam for seeing her fire and determination as something to be admired as opposed to critiqued. Here here for strong women and the men that love them for it! 👏🏻

Thank you so much to Netgalley, Entangled Publishing,  and the author for the complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.
I don't read many western romances, but the premise for this one sounded fun, so I decided to try it. I'm happy I did! This was a great romance, that I would definitely recommend trying!

I received an e-ARC from the publisher.
The Gunslinger’s Guide to Avoiding Matrimony was one helluva good story and good addition to the Gunslinger series. Gunslinger gambler Adam Brady stumbles upon the town of Desolation and can’t believe his good fortune. He’s got a marshal on his trail and hopes he can hang his hat here knowing this is the place where outlaws can ‘retire’ and live in peace. What he doesn’t know is that Desolation has a new rule and that is to either get married or get a job. He has his own rule to never get married. Ironically, he stumbles upon a mass marriage ceremony and accidentally gets married! Now he’s finding all kinds of ways to unmarry himself from a tempting and beautiful woman named Nora Schumacher. Nora isn’t averse to being married, just the husband that comes with it. She hopes she can keep the marriage and get rid of the man. She figures it may take some finagling from friends to convince Adam to sign the marriage certificate and make it all legal.

This story was a hoot when Adam tried job after job, and for funny circumstances, gets fired from each one. Nora tries to persuade Adam and their banter turns flirtatious and tempting but he still isn’t biting. Each has a secret why he wants out and she wants in. When both secrets are revealed to one another they think they have it all figured out only to realize that Adam’s past now rolls into town. Adam is in trouble and when he takes it upon himself to take his trouble and himself out of the picture, the town folks rally to help him and Nora get out of this impossible situation. I loved that the town folk play a big part in this story, along with livestock, liven up the story with humorous scenes. This story is second in the series but can definitely be read as a standalone. I just think if you want to have more fun and enjoy another rom-com, you’ll definitely enjoy Hitched to the Gunslinger. The author wrote a funny situation for this story and made it a fun and entertaining read. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Desolation.