Cover Image: The Gunslinger’s Guide to Avoiding Matrimony

The Gunslinger’s Guide to Avoiding Matrimony

I don't read many western romances, but the premise for this one sounded fun, so I decided to try it. I'm happy I did! This was a great romance, that I would definitely recommend trying!

I received an e-ARC from the publisher.
The Gunslinger’s Guide to Avoiding Matrimony was one helluva good story and good addition to the Gunslinger series. Gunslinger gambler Adam Brady stumbles upon the town of Desolation and can’t believe his good fortune. He’s got a marshal on his trail and hopes he can hang his hat here knowing this is the place where outlaws can ‘retire’ and live in peace. What he doesn’t know is that Desolation has a new rule and that is to either get married or get a job. He has his own rule to never get married. Ironically, he stumbles upon a mass marriage ceremony and accidentally gets married! Now he’s finding all kinds of ways to unmarry himself from a tempting and beautiful woman named Nora Schumacher. Nora isn’t averse to being married, just the husband that comes with it. She hopes she can keep the marriage and get rid of the man. She figures it may take some finagling from friends to convince Adam to sign the marriage certificate and make it all legal.

This story was a hoot when Adam tried job after job, and for funny circumstances, gets fired from each one. Nora tries to persuade Adam and their banter turns flirtatious and tempting but he still isn’t biting. Each has a secret why he wants out and she wants in. When both secrets are revealed to one another they think they have it all figured out only to realize that Adam’s past now rolls into town. Adam is in trouble and when he takes it upon himself to take his trouble and himself out of the picture, the town folks rally to help him and Nora get out of this impossible situation. I loved that the town folk play a big part in this story, along with livestock, liven up the story with humorous scenes. This story is second in the series but can definitely be read as a standalone. I just think if you want to have more fun and enjoy another rom-com, you’ll definitely enjoy Hitched to the Gunslinger. The author wrote a funny situation for this story and made it a fun and entertaining read. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Desolation.
(4.5 stars rounded up to a 5)

The Gunslinger's Guide to Avoiding Matrimony is a historical fiction romance by Michelle McLean, and the second book in her Gunslinger series. The ebook version is 368 pages. We follow our two main characters with third-person points-of-view.

Adam Brady is a gunslinger who is desperate to retire. He lives his life by two rules: avoid life-threatening situations at all costs and never under any circumstances get married. While running from a bounty hunter, he stumbled into the town of Desolation--right into the middle of a big town wedding. After accidentally marrying Nora Schumacher he learns about a new rule in town: gunslingers are welcome here, so long as they either get a job or marry. But he doesn't want to be married, and is determined to find some kind of work he can actually handle.

This was a pretty charming book overall. It was a fun romp and I ended up staying up late to finish it! I like the author's brand of humor and she also does a great job with her steamier scenes. I recently found out the author also writes contemporary romance under the pen name Kira Archer, so I'll have to check her out there too.

Though this book is the second in the series, you can absolutely read it as a standalone. There are references to what happened in the first book, but someone only reading this one shouldn't get confused by them as they're brief. I continue to love the side characters in this series, and I hope we get books that feature them in the future (especially Preacher and the mayor).

Tropes in this book include: cowboys, gunslingers, strangers to lovers, enemies to lovers, forced proximity, strong women

CW: death of parent (referenced), alcoholic parent, guns, gambling, abduction

Special thanks to Entangled: Amara, Entangled Publishing, and NetGalley for providing an eARC of this book for me to review. All opinions contained herein are my own.

I had read the previous book on a whim and was thrilled to see there was going to be more.

I really liked Nora and Adam. They’re both stubborn, good, and loyal. I did enjoy their bickering (at first) and did see the chemistry right away, yet some things just dragged. Of course seeing more of the town, as well as Gray and Mercy was a lot of fun.

Plot wise, it was okay. I struggled with the repetitive feeling of Adam getting fired, Nora asking him to sign, and the constant constant constant bickering. I really wanted a bit of honestly, and yes yes, I understand you don’t spill your secrets to a stranger, but it felt like something could have been managed. Especially since the story never felt like it found it’s rhythm.

Overall, the characters were great and it was easy to root for them. If there is more to the series, I’ll be reading.

**Huge thanks to the publisher for providing the arc free of charge**
While I would normally judge a book by its cover and pass this one by, I'm glad I didn't!

This is my first time reading either a historical romance or a romance book with people on the cover rather than cartoons. I can firmly say I will be adding both into my rotation because of this book! While this book is the second in a series, enough background context was provided and focus was put on the main characters of this story, so I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything or late to the party.

This story follows Adam, a newly retired gunslinger who stumbles into the town of Desolation, and Nora, a seamstress and herbalist trying to keep hold of her family property. This couple falls into an accidental marriage, with a will-they-won't-they storyline following for much of the book. This relationship hinges on Adam and the past that may be catching up with him in Desolation.

I really enjoyed the story and felt like I connected with the character of Nora. She was very intelligent and down to earth while conveying the vulnerability she felt because of the people and situations around her. Adam was a very well thought out response to her as a character with his humor and quick wit to help balance her out with backstory ti explain his hesitations.

The one change I would have made was to this book would have been to shorten some of the will-they-won't-they portion of the book, as it ended up feeling a bit repetitive by the end, and made the final conflict and resolution feel a bit rushed. Other than that I enjoyed everything about this book.

I will be returning to Desolation with the first book as soon as I can get my hands on it and eagerly await a third installment!

I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review, but all thoughts and opinions are my own.

Thank you to Entangled Publishing and Netgalley for the advanced review copy.
The Gunslinger’s Guide to Avoiding Matrimony was a funny romantic comedy that takes place in the West.  It was a lighthearted read that was terrific.  The main characters were well developed as well as the story line.  I loved rules of the town called Desolation.  If you want a good summer read, I recommend this story.
A steamy western?  Yep!  This was a very entertaining, and yes, steamy, romance that caused a couple of giggles and a couple of "oh, mys".  Fast read that i've already recommended to my circle.
I loved this!! I love a good western romance(which I just recently learned is a real genre lol) and this one didn’t let me down! Nora was an absolute hoot.
I didn't like it as much as the first book but it was still a really funny read with a very humorous cast of characters. And it had a wonderful ending. Historical Western Rom-Com about a retired gunslinger/gambler just wanting to find peace and escaping an overzealous marshal. But he comes into town at the wrong time and ends up married to a local woman who needs to find a husband to keep her ranch out of her drunk father's hands. But he doesn't want to be married so the antics they put him through all the while fighting the attraction to his new wife are so funny.
This is one of my first western romances and I think I’m a convert. Near ruination just hits DIFFERENT with unhinged pistol popping cowboys idk. Whatever it is it’s a whole mood.

Seriously the sexual tension is THROUGH the barn I mean the man sucked out a splinter from her finger???? While making tender but burning eye contact???? While whispering sweet nothings to soothe her pain???? Giddy on UP. They did NOT paint westerns like this in Back to the Future 3.

I really adored how Nora was totally capable but also carried the weight of the world on her shoulders. A lot of the book was Adam trying to relieve some of that pressure on her. Cuddling, coddling, copulating. The domestic bliss between the two had me feeling REAL single. Her astonishment when he was fixing up things around the house nearly took me out. Then there was a scene that I thought would be a breakup but ended in him opening his arms for a hug. And sex. So yeah we won.

The little moments between these two were everything, especially since they were married but not and were trying to fight the consummation. The bathtub scene where Nora tries to seduce Adam was just so good. “Yes I’ll do the cooking, Yes I’ll do the cleaning,” she said with her whole chest.

The premise of the series is so fun and book 2 definitely delivered on the comedy promised on the cover!! I didn’t read the summary, so the way they ended up getting married was even better. These feel super fresh and modern, while still making me want to get ravished in a haystack and order a sarsaparilla from a questionably clean glass.

If you’re someone who gets tripped up by modern language in historicals, skip it and save yourself the torment. But personally, I loved it as I’m not sure I want a truly authentic western novel lmao. From page one, the modern language made the barrier of entry far lower for me.

Doc and Martha better be next!!! And Preacher has me INTRIGUED. I’m going back to book one and I’ll be on the lookout for book three!

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5   🌶🌶🌶/5

My only critique is that I hoped and expected the steam to give a bit more than we got. It still had a couple good scenes, but they weren’t that explicit and not too creative. He never went down on her and the positions were typical. I’m my opinion, the tension was almost hotter than the climax.

Thanks to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for a free copy. All opinions are honest and my own.
A reverse grumpy-sunshine story with a twist!  Adam Brady is a wanted man…and yet he is charming and has a generally positive outlook on life. Nora is used to shouldering responsibility. When they meet, sparks fly amid a flurry of misunderstandings. McLean paints a vivid backdrop of the old west, a colorful cast of characters, and a heartwarming story of acceptance.
This book is a romcom and western expertly intertwined. If you don’t read westerns, I implore you to try this series. I instantly fell in love with this wily bunch of townspeople. The plot is flawlessly comical and endearingly romantic. The book is fast-paced, and I didn’t want it to end! I love that the characters from the first book showed up again. However, Adam and Nora’s story stands on its own. So If you’re looking for a laugh-out-loud HEA with a fantastic storyline to boot.. look no further. Loved it!!! ❥ Highly recommend!!! Lisa
The Gunslinger’s Guide to Avoiding Matrimony by Michelle McLean is a light-hearted romantic comedy taking place in the old West. Adam Brady is a gunslinger and a gambler. There is a price on his head. A lawman named Spurlock is chasing him and he is doing his best to not be caught. He stumbles upon an isolated town called Desolation in which most of the inhabitants are wanted by the law. He thinks maybe he can make a life here as he is sick of his old one. Something is going on, he can’t tell what. As luck would have it, it is a mass wedding ceremony. He is standing next to a very tall woman and apparently says the wrong thing at the wrong time because next thing he knows there is a boy wanting him to sign a paper. It is a marriage certificate. He politely refuses and then listens to the sheriff speak: the rules for the town state one has to be married or have a job within 30 days of arriving. Easy enough: he will get a job. He doesn’t want to be married.

This is a cross between a cowboy romance and a beach read. It is entertaining with all the varied characters one would expect to find in an Old West town: the madam, the doc, the preacher, the sheriff, who it turns out would be a very wanted criminal if the world didn’t believe he was dead, and many more, including the town drunk. Nora is the daughter of the town drunk. She lives in a house that her grandparents built on a few acres of land. All that is left of the small ranch her grandmother had owned. Her father had gradually sold off the rest of it to fund his bad habits: drinking and gambling. It was all left to her by her mother, but she can’t actually claim it until she is married or reaches 30. She has the deed hidden, but who knows how long it will be safe. She needs a husband so she can change the deed. Preferably the husband wouldn’t stick around. She is a terrific character: solid, hard-working, and one of the boys. So, when Adam stumbles into town, he appears to be the perfect husband. Lots of fun is guaranteed in the next thirty days! Such a cute, relaxing story! A great read as a break from more serious stuff!

I was invited to read The Gunslinger’s Guide to Avoiding Matrimony by Amara, through Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are mine. #netgalley #amara #michellemclean #thegunslingersguidetoavoidingmatrimony
A funnier rom-com that had some laugh out loud moments, witty banter, and romance/sex scenes that ratcheted up the chemistry without overwhelming the book. It did drag a little in the middle for me, but the side characters were entertaining and their group plot to get Adam fired from every job was funny.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of The Gunslinger's Guide to Avoiding Matrimony. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to Netgalley and Entangled Publishing, LLC for providing an ARC to review.

I went into this novel not expecting much but was so happily surprised. Adam and  Nora are a fun and cute couple who have oodles of chemistry and charm. The fun quirkiness of the town of Desolation and the fun townspeople make me want to continue reading this series. If you are looking for a romance full of witty banter and entertaining characters, this is the book for you. I give this book an unexpected 4/5 stars.
I received an ARC of this book for an honest review. This book initially interested me but I didn't love the hero I feel like Adam just couldn't make up his mind on what to do about Nora. Adam did not want to be married but he falls in love with Nora, they accidentally end up married then he still intends to leave her. Nora knew that Adam doesn't want to stay married but despite knowing that she still wants to keep him in a marriage he doesn't want. The book was enjoyable so I got through the whole story. There were moments of comedic relief in this story that I really liked and over all I like the authors writing style. I liked other books in this series by Michelle Maclean but this one was not my favorite. I will  be picking up the next book in the series still.
Thank you @entangled_publishing and @netgalley for my gifted copy of THE GUNSLINGER’S GUIDE TO AVOIDING MATRIMONY. My thoughts are my own. This book is available now!

Adam Brady is on the run from a bounty hunter and he finds himself in a town called Desolation, where there is a rule: gunslingers must marry or hold a job, or leave! Hilariously, he ends up in a line of men waiting to get married and before he knows it he is accidentally married! He embarrasses the bride, Nora,  by refusing to remain married.

Nora doesn’t really want a husband but she needs one in order to inherit her property.   She is running out of options so she needs to remain married to Adam long enough to gain her inheritance.

The townspeople conspire to help her and before long Adam loses one job after another and his options become limited.

The banter between Adam and Nora made me laugh out loud in this fun story. I loved the townspeople and their willingness to work together to support Nora. Read this if you enjoy historical romance with a touch of humor and spice!
“The Gunslinger’s Guide to Avoiding Matrimony” by Michelle McLean, is a  new author to me. I decided to venture out of my comfort zone and dove into this Western Rom-Com/Romance. To be honest it moved a bit slow for me, but I can’t hide the fact that the author did a great job writing this book and bringing the characters together.

The male main character is Adam Brady and he’s a gunslinger on the run from a less than law-abiding lawman who wants to see him hang, if he makes it back to Denver.

Nora just wants a husband for a short amount of time and then wants him to move on. There’s a reason for this, but I don't want to throw in any spoilers.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Entangled Publishing and NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Want a laugh out loud western RomCom…..well this is your story. Adam, a ex-gunslinger-gambler is on the run and somehow finds the hidden town of Desolation. More bad luck for him, the sheriff is also someone who is gunning for him. Trying to sneak out of town before the sheriff sees him, he bumps into a man that has fallen at his feet. There is a gathering crowd and not sure what is going on Adam bad luck continues, he somehow now is married to Nora, who’s father lays at his feet. His number one rule is never get married.
Nora is once again getting her drunken father from the saloon. She just doesn’t need this on top of all the other burdens she has on her shoulders. Then she winds up arguing with the good looking, obnoxious man who offered to help with her father. And somehow winds up married in the mass marriage ceremony. Maybe a answer to her problem?
Love the banter between Nora and Adam, the slow building attraction and the supporting characters are all fun. Looking forward to reading more from this series. Thank you NetGalley for this eARC. I am voluntarily posting an honest review after reading an Advance Reader Copy of this story.  #NetGalley #TheGunslingersGuidetoAvoidingMatrimony #EntangledPublishingLLC
I adore Michelle McLean’s hilarious Gunslinger series and couldn’t wait to read book #2. It didn’t disappoint. I laughed, I cried, and I fell in love with Adam and Nora.

Two strangers accidentally married in a mass town wedding. A charming gambler and gunslinger and a hard-working woman trying to make ends meet. Will she convince him to sign the papers and make it official to save her home, or will he choose a job over her?

Of all the rotten luck. Adam Brady finally found a place he could retire and hide out from the marshall who is hunting him down. However, his choice to stand out in the street during a mass town wedding unbeknownst to him and saying “I do” in a conversation with a beautiful trouser-clad woman, found him not only retired but hitched as well. Or did it? It appears they didn’t sign the papers to make it official and though she insists on calling him husband, he found another way to stay in town. Find a job in a month or he has to leave town. Unfortunately, the sheriff of the town has a bad history with Adam and he’s hoping his stay is short.

Nora Schumacher is living day by day as a seamstress and selling vegetables from her garden. Her father is the town drunk and has left everything to her to make ends meet. However, now he is threatening to sell off more of their land so he can gamble and drink the money away. She has to keep his hands off the deed to the house because knowing him he will take that from her as well. Her maternal grandparents left the house to her when they died. The stipulations require that she receive it when she turns thirty which is several years away or if she marries, whichever comes first. So when fate threw a gunslinger in her lap as a new husband she will stop at nothing to stay hitched. Even if that means asking all her friends for a favor to make his job opportunities less than ideal.

Adam and Nora are made for each other. They are not perfect by any means, but what they lack in grace, they make up for it in determination and charm. Their attraction is a slow build, but when they give in to their passion, it is a delight to watch. Adam’s sense of humor is hilarious as he takes on a town that is hell-bent on him staying married to Nora. Watching Adam tackle the various jobs he is given is priceless as he bungles each one of them but gives it his all doing it. As Adam grows to care for Nora it is endearing to watch as he helps her fix the things around her rundown homestead and is there for her when she needs some support. Something no one has done in the past. It’s sad that Nora is not considered attractive in some men’s eyes because she is so tall. She is considered just one of the guys with the other men in town until Adam sees her beauty inside and out. Nora is a force to be reckoned with and she works hard to make ends meet for her and her lazy-ass disrespectful father who eventually comes around when it is almost too late. There is also plenty of action in this book with Adam’s past catching up to him and an unforgettable showdown.

This book wouldn’t be as fun if it weren’t for the lovely townspeople of Desolation. They make the story roll along with laughter and love showing their caring nature and secretive and protective instincts. I can’t wait to read more in this series.

If you are a fan of romantic comedy, give this book a try. The characters are memorable and the romance is lovely.