Cover Image: The Housekeeper

The Housekeeper

I was so excited for this book and was a little disappointed. It was okay, nothing exciting.

Jodi hires a housekeeper to help lord after her sick mother and aging father but the housekeeper is not who she seems. That’s about it. I loved the writing style of the book but the story itself was mediocre.
3.75 stars, rounded to 4. Another solid book by Joy Fielding. This is a domestic mystery/thriller that will have you flipping the pages, your heart beating faster as you move through the story. When Jodi finds the most wonderful woman to be her parent’s housekeeper, she is so relieved and grateful. Jodi will finally be able to appease her husband, Harrison, a struggling author, and hopefully spend more time on her kids and husband, as well as her real estate career. Jodi’s mom, Audrey, has advanced Parkinson’s, and her retired father is a very harsh, difficult man, so the new housekeeper will be a super positive addition to their lives. But when Jodi, and eventually her sister Tracy, begin to get the feeling that something isn’t right, and the evidence starts to mount, Jodi realizes she is running out of time and racing against the clock to get to the bottom of it all.

And wow, the author does a spectacular job of building suspense by having Jodi narrate the story, as a retelling of what happened. Her thoughts are peppered with foreshadowing and intrigue. It’s difficult at times seeing how Jodi is treated by her father and husband which adds to the darkness of this satisfying story.

Thank you to Penguin Random House Canada (Doubleday) and Netgalley for the advanced reader copy in exchange for my honest review.
Nothing like a dysfunctional family drama to keep you company as you recover from that nasty pandemic germ.😷

The Housekeeper reminds you - what appears too good to be true, normally is. When Jodi hires a housekeeper to take care of her Dad and support her dying Mum, she can’t believe her luck - Elyse is perfect - there isn’t anything she won’t do to help the Bishop family. However, it doesn’t take long until things take a turn for the worse and - well, out of control.😳

You have probably read other books with a similar plot - so it does become somewhat predictable but it did keep me reading while stuck at home. Loved the 🇨🇦 setting. If you’re looking for a easy read with a dose of family drama - this may be for you. ⭐️⭐️⭐️

@tolovetoread #tolovetoread #read #reader #reading #readersofig #readthisbook #book #books #bookstagram #bookworm #bookish #bookreviewer #bibliophile #bookaddict #booksofig #booksof2022 #booksiveread #bookrecommendations #amreading #bookishcanadians #bestbooksof2022 #bookthoughts #booklife #readanywhere
4.5/5     Thank you to Net Galley and the publisher for the eARC in exchange for an honest review.

OMG!  I really enjoyed the fast pacing.

This story is about a woman (Jodi) who hires a housekeeper to care for her aging parent’s house and them.  In the beginning, the housekeeper (Elyse) seems too good to be true; but then things start to happen.  Each time an issue came up that made Jodi sure that Elyse was being deceitful, there seemed to be a plausible explanation.  Jodi is the one who hired the housekeeper and then seemed to be the only one that thought she had made a mistake.  Elyse covered her tracks so well.

Without exposing spoilers, I will just say that the story had me captivated.  Elyse’s explanations always covered things off, so that Jodi was left unsure.  It’s difficult to believe that a woman could be so duplicitous and come across as so reasonable.  Elyse snowed everyone at turns.  Things just keep getting worse and worse as Elyse takes over and then … Well, I’ll just leave it at that.

You’ve got to read this book!
Thank you @doubledayca @penguinrandomca for the gifted copy !

Jodi Bishop needs help taking care of her aging (and wealthy) parents. Enter Elyse. On paper, she’s the the housekeeper equivalent of Mary Poppins. In reality, she has serious ulterior motives as she integrates herself into the family and starts taking control.

This is my second Joy Fielding book and I can’t believe it took me this long to start reading her work! She is officially a new go-to for domestic suspense.

Her writing is sharp and snappy and draws you into the story immediately. She pairs this with a well - plotted story and strong character development. Jodi and Tracy’s character arcs were standouts for me, as well as their way their relationship as sisters changed and grew.

One thing I love about domestic suspense is that it puts the thrills and chills in a relatable and realistic setting. While reading, I was constantly thinking that this could totally happen to me. Dad, if you’re reading this, I promise I won’t do this to you ;)

I can’t talk about The Housekeeper without giving serious bonus points for the Toronto setting 😍🇨🇦. I am all in for this current trend of setting thrillers in Canada.

If you’re a fan of domestic suspense like me, add this one to your TBR!
instagram post now linked

This book is so wild! It feels like it could very realistically actually happen to a loved one which made it so intense to read. I read it very quickly because you don’t want to put it down. It left you guessing even until the last few pages. The family dynamics are super interesting and my favourite was the relationship between the main character and her sister. You really feel for the main character and want to protect her from the other characters, which created a strong emotional investment with the book for me.
This was a very entertaining mystery thriller about a woman, Jodi Bishop, who hires "the perfect" housekeeper to take care of her ailing mother. The housekeeper turned out to be too good to be true though, as Jodi begins to notice increasingly suspicious behaviour.

But who's going to believe Jodi's paranoia that something strange is going on with the housekeeper when the housekeeper's sunny personality seems to charm and win everyone over?

While there were certain aspects of the story that was pretty predictable (there was also a lot of foreshadowing, which made the twists even more unsurprising), the writing and story were addictive, and the characters were very interesting. The fact that the story revolves around a dysfunctional and toxic family makes the story even more compelling.
This is my first Joy Fielding book, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I love a good thriller, and this book does not disappoint.

Jodi is a successful real estate agent who struggled with the guilt of caring for her aging parents while also raising a young family of her own. When she decides to hire a housekeeper, she finds a seemingly perfect candidate in Elyse. At first things go well, and Jodi even finds herself confiding in Elyse about her personal struggles. Not wanting to ruin a good thing, Jodi ignores the small red flags till Jodi herself is completely shut out of her parents’ lives.

The plot twists are somewhat predictable, the characters are all flawed and the family is wildly dysfunctional. All in all, a captivating read.
This is a story of a very dysfunctional family who hires a housekeeper to help their mother/wife who has Parkinson’s Disease. The twist and turns in this story surprises you. You have to feel for Jodi who never seems to get the love she needs. I really enjoyed this book and the ending was a big surprise. I received an arc and the views and opinions are my own.
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC of The Housekeeper  by Joy Fielding
This was a great novel, at times I wanted the pace to pick up a bit, I loved the main character and hated how the others walked all over her.  Jodi  is married to Harrison, has 2 school age young children, she is a real estate agent and he is a novelist, she has a sister Tracy who cares about her looks and clothes and lives off their parents still. Jodi's mother is ill and she feels her father needs help so she goes in search for a Housekeeper and finds the perfect lady. Elyse has glowing reviews from her previous employers and makes a huge impression as she fits right in immediately. Things take a turn for the worse and Jodi's mother passes away. Elyse becomes very close to Jodi's father and before they know it they are married. During all this time Jodi is dealing with her own family issues and trying to be supportive of her husband as he struggles to complete the novel he has been working on. This novel has twists and turns, the author does a great job in making the main character loveable at the same time as the reader wants her to buck up and not take so much crap from her family.
This is the first of Joy's books that I have read and will read more. I also love that Joy is Canadian as is the setting.
Thought provoking and scary! The author knows how to manipulate the feelings of readers! Totally believable scenario and one faced by many people these days.
Another fast, entertaining summer read from Joy Fielding. As expected and did not disappoint. A timely topic for today's reality of aging populations and need for caregiving. Great to see this addressed, however darkly, in a thrilling novel!
Finally finished this book - and glad to have done so!

The lengths that some people will go for the sake of the almighty dollar never seems to amaze me *SMH*

This was a story told entirely from the POV of Jodi (FMC),  which I didn’t mind at all. The fact that everyone in her family accused her of being paranoid, and the fact that she didn’t listen to her gut feeling that something was amiss, quite literally had me yelling at my ereader the whole time! I guess that’s the sign of a good book, when it draws you into the world of the story to that extent and, for that reason, I recommend this book to anyone looking to get lost in a tale of domestic and familial relationships that will have you guessing which end is up until, well, the end.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DNF

This ARC was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I got up to chapter 15 and bailed. It had nothing to do with the story, which was pretty engrossing thus far - the ARC that was sent was in PDF format and difficult to read (small print) on my phone, and I couldn’t zoom the page or read it in landscape.

I’ll try to remember to pick it up again when it’s published (August 16, 2022).
First I’d like to thank Netgalley and Doubleday Canada/penguin random house for an advance reader copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

To be completely honest I found this book terribly difficult to get into but once I got to that point I couldn’t put it down. As a home health care worker this ploy hurt my heart and I needed to know there was justice served.

Jodi hires the perfect live in caregiver/house keeper for her parents - a little too perfect but by the time she figures out what Elyse is hiding a horrible tragedy has happened.
Struggling in her own personal life, as well as balancing the care her parents require and her full time job, she’s exhausted.

A good read but be prepared to block out time to read because you’ll need to know how it ends!
✔️set in Toronto
🔘although quite predictable, the plot isn’t all that bad
✖️ pretty much everything else . I had to work hard not to DNF this book . Not one decent man in site; a verbally abusive dad; a cheating gaslighting husband ; these two made the “villain” of the story - the housekeeper of course - look good . And Jodi - I got so tired of reading about her putting herself done and trying to please all these awful men in her life. The sister was the only half decent character - I mean she was spoiled rotten ( and I thought maybe she was in her early 20s. But she was 45! ) but at least she knew it and redeemed herself in the second half of the book a bit .

Needless to say, I didn’t like  this book 🤷‍♀️
First time reader of Joy Fielding, I have heard good things about the author. Unfortunately, I Was not a super fan of this book. The plot was predictable, and my interest was not peaked.
This was a short, fast paced book that was a little predictable but fun either way. If you like domestic thrillers, this might be the book for you. Although riddled with unlikeable characters, it was still worth the read. I’m curious to read more from Joy Fielding.
Really enjoyed this fast paced twisty story!  Joy Fielding is definitely one of my favorite authors!
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC.
When Jodi hires housekeeper, Elyse, to help with her elderly parents, she gets more 'help' than she anticipated.
The Housekeeper was a well written, domestic thriller full of unlikable characters and frustrating moments. I felt how trapped Jodi felt.
This was my first novel by Joy Fielding, and although this plotline was predictable and I felt like it was a little long, I am interested to check out her backlist.
Thank you to NetGalley and Penguin Random House Canada for the digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Joy Fielding's 30th novel The Housekeeper is everything you would expect from a master of suspense. Intricately woven tale of cat and mouse that will have you turning pages way past your bedtime. This is the kind of domestic thriller

Jodi Bishop decides to hire a housekeeper for her parents who are in their 70s, as it's becoming challenging for her dad to provide care for her mom who has Parkinson's. Elyse Woodley seems like a dream come true to Jodi - pleasant, eager to help and even able to charm Jodi's dad who was not very happy about the idea of live in help. Maybe now Jodi can dedicate more time to her marriage that seems to be on the rocks. Her once successful author husband seems resentful of the fact that she is the one supporting them financially and maybe a bit too enthusiastic around some of his female students. Then suddenly dynamic in her parents home starts to shift and Jodi starts to wonder if the new housekeeper might have been too good to be true....

This was a quick, fun and very intense read for me. Complex relationships between various characters, sense of entrapment so vivid, and gripping tension building slowly were some of the reasons I thoroughly enjoyed this book. If you are a fan of Joy Fielding, enjoy domestic suspense or are just looking for a tense but enjoyable read, The Housekeeper is the book for you!

My gratitude to NetGalley and Penguin Random House Canada for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!