Cover Image: Elodie’s Library of Second Chances

Elodie’s Library of Second Chances

Thank you @netgalley for my copy of this eARC in exchange of my honest opinion.

Unfortunately, this was a DNF for me. While I enjoyed the premise of the book, the writing just didn’t flow for me. I tried to return to this one a few different times and had to give up after about 40%.

This one gets 2.5⭐️‘s from me.
There’s something about Rebecca’s books that I love and I think it’s the simplicity of it all. Quirky characters that love to read and escape into fictional worlds… characters that are definitely relatable for this reader 💕

I enjoyed it. It was a quiet type of book and not my favourite of hers but still found it to be a calming read if that makes any sense. No big plots or twists, just an easy read.

Thank you to the publisher for the gifted copy in return for an honest read. If you’re looking to Rebecca’s books (to try); start with “The Little Bookshop on the Seine”

3.5 ⭐️
This was an absolutely gorgeous read and has joined the list as one of my favourites in this genre for 2022. It is emotional, dramatic, heart-warming and romantic.

Elodie and Finn make great central characters. They both have interesting back stories that help you to invest in their future and see where their attitudes and values have come from. I identified with Elodie’s need and desire to live a simpler life in a close-knit community.

Of course, the problem with living in a close knit community is that your secrets don’t stay secret for very long. This causes a lot of drama and tension in the book, and as a reader you’re left hoping that the community will accept Elodie for the selfless, brave, motivated character she appears to be.

The concept of ‘saving the library’ is one that’s very close to my heart, as an English teacher and all-round lover of books. Elodie’s ideas are great, and through her efforts and determination we meet a wider cast of characters through the library. Every character you meet in this book carries their own story, and serve as a reminder to never judge a ‘book’ by its cover.

Maisie was a character who intrigued and infuriated me. We are all wary of change but her attitude towards Elodie and her job in general seemed, at first, completely unreasonable. She is another character who Rebecca peels back the layers for in order to give the reader a deeper understanding.

Overall, a stunning read about books, libraries and everything they stand for – empathy, community, romance and society. I would recommend this book and author to fans of Holly Martin, Portia Macintosh and Hannah Lynn.
A charming tale of new beginnings, fresh starts, forgiveness and acceptance. Exhausted by the demands of her family's high-powered publishing empire in London, Elodie Halifax steals away to the quaint village of Willow Grove to slow down, smell the roses and save a struggling library.  Elodie meets a colorful cast of quirky locals and quickly devises a genius plan to salvage the library, strengthen the community and serve as a tender reminder to never judge a book by its cover.
This was a cute feel-good novel. Elodie is living the life her high-stung CEO mum wants her to live and finally decodes she's had enough. She comes across an ad to work at a  small town library that is closing in hopes to save it. She falls in love with it and the town. She comes up with a brilliant idea to save it and meets a group of wonderful people. Some of the characters felt so real. The only negative thing I can say is that I wasn't buying Elodie and Finn's romantic relationship. It just didn't seem real to me, their connection wasn't explored enough. But Elodie's relationship with the townspeople were so sweet. So if you're looking for a quick lighthearted read, this is for you!
Elodie is actively defying her family to find herself and follow her dreams. She always wanted to be librarian and be able to escape into a book whenever she wanted. When she discovered that her favourite childhood library was under threat due to dwindling membership numbers, she decided to try to make a difference. Elodie finds its not as easy as she thought to change the mindset of villagers of Willow Grove but as she befriends local characters she is struck by an idea which may help. Charming story.
Another great book from Rebecca! I love her style of writing, her chapters are shorter which is great when your a busy mum! This book as always didn’t disappoint. We start with the high profile life of Elodie. She is main character of the story and we follow how her parents push her to be at the forefront of their successful business. Elodie however we ain’t enjoying life and when she decides to take a chance to help a floundering library she used to go to, life takes a very different route! She has some fab ideas to take the library back to the heart of the community. Along the way we meet some misfits of the village who have been misunderstood for a long time! That’s where the idea of the people lending library comes, the community hear the real stories behind them. Some great characters and a very feel good story to remind us not to judge a book by its cover! There’s also a love interest who also has a wee secret but I won’t spoil the story! Definitely a feel good read and I recommend reading it!
Plot. Ellie Astor is the face of the Astor Media company and she has a hectic life all set up according to her mother's company.
One day she reads one article about a library that will close and she remembers going there when she was in high school, but most of all since she is a bookworm she wants to try to do something to save it.
So she goes there, to Willow Grove, under her real name Elodie Hallifax, to try to save the library. She meets 4 people that are at the boundaries and, since she has no money to buy new book,s she comes up with the human books: these people will be borrowed for a certain time, 30 minutes, and they tell thier stories, the people listening will just have to listen, no judging.
My opinion. I have to say that the concept behind this book is good: listening to others before judging them, speaking up more, but… don't know. Since it's "just a book" it makes me sad that it would be great in our societies but… it's not happening.
I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This review is my own honest opinion.
5 Word Review: Community, family, books, belonging, love.

This book, man. Got me right in the feels. And made me want to read All Of The Books which was perfectly timed as I had been in a bit of a slump.

Elodie/Ellie is such a gem and I loved her from the start. I loved how her kind heart hadn't been smothered by her life and the expectations of being an Astor, and that she got herself free. She's so genuine and layered that I couldn't help but love her. She's the ray of sunshine the world, and especially Willow Grove, needs.

Finn was brilliant too - as much as I knew Elodie wanted to keep her life as an Astor a secret, I did enjoy the added tension and hesitancy it brought to the relationship. Finn is such a bright spark too, and I fell for him along with Elodie.

I really enjoyed the small conflicts in this story, and how they were used to challenge perceptions. Whether it was convincing her parents to give Teddy a second chance to prove himself, or bringing Henry in from the streets, my heart swelled with the care offered by Elodie.

I loved the themes of friendship and found family, how such a motley group came together to do such good and rally against judgement. This really is a story about second chances off all sorts, and it is such an uplifting read. Perfect for brightening up a rainy day.

I can't believe I haven't picked up a Rebecca Raisin book for so long, but now I'm off to dive into their back catalogue. I have a lot of catching up to do!
I loved this book. The perfect mix of great characters, friendships, setting and how we all must learn not to judge a book by its cover. A must read this summer
Another fantastic read from Rebecca Raisin. Thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Elodie (Ellie) the story’s main character and her little community. A very readable & enjoyable tale
Another smashing read from Rebecca Raisin, another book that is well written, has a comfortable and cosy feel and contains warm, interesting characters the reader will grow to love.I have enjoyed the authors previous books but this one is my favourite I think.

Ellie Astor has everything, face of a massive company where she is in line to take over from her parents and although she loves her family she knows she wants more from her life. A chance advert shows the way – becoming the librarian in a small town where someone is needed to turn things around and quickly. Applying under her full given name and actual surname, she becomes Elodie Halifax.

Elodie has a huge task in recruiting new members but sets on a massive idea, she just needs the help of some key locals and persuading them is no easy task, especially when it seems someone is out to sabotage her and reveal her “true identity.”

I love Elodie, she is an amazing character and sees the good in everyone, she’s a million miles from the conceited, rich, stuck up type she could be. She cares about people, the library and she loves her family no matter what. Her relationship with her brother is great, she is so supportive and encouraging. I love her and she instantly makes those around her feel special.

Her genius idea is impressive to say the least and could be the only chance to save the library and help some of her friends. There are four characters in particular who are an integral part of the story and Elodies plan, as soon as I came across each one I loved them, what brilliant characters that each have their own tale to tell.

I was engrossed from start to finish, I didn’t want it to end! A book full of heart, kindness and compassion; a great setting and well written characters. Highly recommended read.
Elodie’s Library of Second Chances was both a heartwarming and sweet tale!

It was very easy to get caught up in Elodie’s plans to save the library. Wondering if she would be able to manage it. I was right there with Elodie, rooting for her from the very beginning. The story itself moved at a lovely pace and I loved getting to know the characters. It was great to see Elodie grow in confidence and see the her connect with people.

The story had an uplifting and heartwarming feel to it especially as the reader begins to see the wonderful friendships being made. I got so much more than a story about a library that needed saving. I ended up with a beautiful story that put people’s lives at its centre. In turn we see that there is much more to a person than first appearances might show.

Elodie’s Library of Second Chances ticked so many boxes. It was a story that was very easy to get caught up in. Especially with the characters, their friendships and even a hint of romance. Then add in the fact that a library can be many important things and not just a place to lose yourself in books. Well, let’s just say that I loved the messages this book portrayed. It really was a delight!
I read Rebecca Raisin's previous release at Christmas and adored it, so couldn't wait for this one.
This was a brilliant and magical story, I loved the idea of the library.
Another great book by author Rebecca Raisin.
This is the 3rd book by her i have had the pleasure of reading and reviewing, and i have grown to love her work so much!
her books are perfect beach reads, the plot is steady and the characters are well written.
I love books about libraries, but this is more than just a book about a library. This is a book about people, and getting the chance to tell your own story. The beginning of the book which describes Elodie’s experiences as the daughter of media moguls is not as interesting, but it takes on a completely different life when she arrives in Willow Grove and starts planning to save the library. I am not always a fan of the “poor little rich girl” theme, but this book won me over.

I especially loved the way Elodie was drawn to the town outcasts and wanted to know about their lives. The misunderstood, ostracized, bullied, and betrayed were given a voice. They became living books in the People’s Library, which I think is an extraordinary part of this novel. Elodie’s idea to have library patrons meet with a person at the library for 30 minutes and hear their story is completely inspired. I can think of so many people I would like to “check out” at the library in real life. There is a sweet romance, and somewhat of a villain in this novel, but overall this is not a complicated book. Elodie’s Library of Second Chances is a meaningful book that teaches us an important lesson–everyone has a story to tell, if we are willing to listen.

I received a free copy of this book from the pubishers via Rachel’s Random Resources. My review is voluntary and my opinions are my own.
Elodie (Ellie) is a thirty-something woman who is used to the red carpet, but would much prefer to be reading. Her younger brother Teddy is in love with actress Louise, who isn’t interested in him. Their mother Dorothea is very pushy and rather intimidating and bossy.
When Ellie sees a newspaper article announcing Willow Grove library is at risk of closure, she decides to apply for the job of head librarian and try to save it. After all, that would be much closer to her dream job than working for her mother’s media empire, where it’s all about profit. But she doesn’t want to be recognised as the face of Astor. She needs a less glamorous look…
Being readers, we will all relate to the power of books and the need to keep libraries open. There are so many things in Ellie’s character that I relate to. She realises the importance of libraries as a venue for people to meet people too and how important that social interaction is for so many.
As well as Ellie being a wonderful character (We’d definitely be mates in real life!), I also really loved Harry the homeless man and Alfie the autistic eleven-year-old child (and as the mother of a daughter with Aspergers, I can tell you the autism is described perfectly). Then there’s Finn, the local journalist, who’s really rather lovely…
This is the first book by Rebecca Raisin that I have read, but I really enjoyed it and it won’t be the last. It’s so heart-warming and beautiful. It’s an easy read, but one you want to stick with to find out what happens to the characters you quickly come to care about. I recommend it 100%, you won’t regret it!
Books that are about libraries or books are always a winner for me, and it's written by the fabulously talented Rebecca Raisin too, so obviously it was going to be a winning read!

From the female lead Elodie being a book lover, bookstagram, activities within the library, and saving the local library, this was a book lovers dream.

We've all heard the saying 'Don't judge a book by its cover', and this was so the moral of this story. Elodie was a fabulous character who stepped away from her flashy lifestyle to save the thing she was most passionate about. And her 'borrow a person idea as they had stories that needed to be told was such a lovely idea. I wish this idea could be taken up by libraries everywhere as some would rather overlook these people rather than hearing the stories they have to tell.

A beautifully written, highly relatable, heartwarming read that's guaranteed to leave you feel all warm and squishy inside.

Many thanks to Rachel's Random Resources for my tour spot.

Rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
“Elodie’s Library of Second Chances” is a well-written story about a women who gets burnt-out by being stuck as the face of her family’s company and who not only gets a second chance when a library from her childhood is looking for a new librarian, but also gives a second chance to the outcasts in that town.

However, while I enjoyed the storyline, it wasn’t a book that kept me captivated for a long period of time, hence the 3 stars.
A fabulous feel good romance!

This book gives a great message of hope and community.

Elodie is fed up being the poster child to her Mums company so seeks to make her own path and discovers her own worth along the way.

A lovely collection of characters but I would’ve enjoyed a few more details and a little more depth in the relationships.

Overall a lovely easy read.