Unfortunately, this was a bit of a disappointment for me. The AirBnB setting would have been good premise if it didn't fall flat by the characters that revolve around this story. Whoever they got to portray Calvin for the audiobook was too creepy, but it didn't help that the writing and dialogue for him was also cringey and gross. And Grace just felt too much like an airhead for me. Hard to believe this was categorized as a thriller when it took until maybe the last 10% of the story to really turn into anything outside of a creepy love triangle featuring a character who has only been on the scene for less than a week.

Might have to accept defeat and that this author just isn't for me. Even the big reveal at the end couldn't redeem this "thriller" for me. There was no lead up or clues that would lead a reader to the conclusion that wound up occurring. This was also the case with her previous novel where I walked away unsatisfied.

This was one of my most anticipated reads for 2023 and I will say that I enjoyed it. Definitely know that it feels more like a suspenseful CoHo romance until 90% in and then it goes full thriller. I devoured this in two sittings and the building suspense kept me turning the pages. There was so much foreshadowing that I just knew the crap was going to hit the fan eventually and when it finally did…wow! The big twist was not at all what I was expecting. I’m still not sure how I feel about the twist, but I will say that overall, I had a great time reading this!

Thanks to Netgalley and Blackstone Pub for the eARC in exchange for my honest review!

Thanks to NetGalley for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review.

This wasn’t particularly well-written, and the dialogue was SO so cheesy and made the characters seem like caricatures…however it was a damn fun and quick read. An Airbnb stay gone very good…and then very bad. This novel couldn’t decide if it wanted to be a steamy romance or a nail biting mystery, but I didn’t mind. Definitely what I’d call a guilty pleasure read.

QUICK TAKE: I really struggled with this book. Both characters are tropey and clearly hiding dark secrets (she can't "find" her insurance card and ID, his traumatic backstory keeps changing and he **gasp** likes franks and beans), that the main storyline basically services a truly out-of-left-field final act twist that just felt so unearned (and also made me loathe the female character even more than I possibly thought I could). Not for me.

3.5 rounded up to 4. This book was a slow burn. It felt slow but it intrigued me to keep me reading. Once it started to get really going I was hooked and couldn't stop reading. I had to know what was going on! And the end I did not see coming! I think my only reasoning for the lower rating was I am not a huge fan of romance type books and it started out more romance than thriller and that's what made it hard for me to get through the beginning but if you are a romance and thriller lover then this is the perfect book for you!!

Going into this one blind, I had no idea what to expect. The first half of this was a bit too romance-y for me, but the mystery behind what was going to go down made me easily binge this in just a few sittings.

I was suspicious of every character from the very start and honestly, didn't know what to think of the two main ones. I still question some of the MC's stupid decisions though I can justify why they were made by the time I got to the end. There were some really memorable (horror) visuals and scenes but some moments that had my jaw dropping...and not exactly in a good way. 🤣

Though I thought the outcome was a bit predictable, I completely enjoyed the ride and would recommend to anyone looking for a quick and addicting thriller read. You won't catch me sharing an airbnb with anyone anytime soon.

Grace Evans is in need of a break from her life in Manhattan and books an AirBnB at a ranch in Wyoming run by Calvin Wells. She instantly gets a bad vibe from the ranches isolation and the lack of cell reception. She is also concerned to find that the Wi-Fi isn't working but she decides to put these feelings aside and do her best to relax. Attraction builds between the two and a vacation romance starts to bloom. However, a series of strange circumstances quickly turns that attraction to fear. Grace soon learns that the last girl to book Calvin's AirBnB never checked in and is considered missing. Calvin begins to think that Grace is hiding something from him and that her reasons for coming to Wyoming might not be what she has claimed. As the end of Grace's stay approaches it seems clear that Calvin's interest in her might border on obsession. With so many secrets floating around it is hard to know what the truth is and who to trust. You'll be left guessing until the very end! This is a thriller that even Scott can appreciate! (Note to Scott: This is the space where you are meant to leave your book review).

I was a little disappointed with this one. I love a good thriller and I love a good locked room/remote location drama, but this was just so disjointed. It felt like a draft that still needed a LOT of editing. Obviously, I read this as an ARC, so there's an expectation of minor tweaks, but the storyline itself just felt unfinished.

Grace, a big city woman travels to a small town in Wyoming for ten days in an airbnb with handsome host Calvin. Immediately there are things that she isn't happy with: lack of wifi, cell phone service, creepy gas station attendant, a missing woman, and a general weirdness in the town. But she has chemistry with Calvin and so she sticks it out. There is family drama between Calvin and seemingly everyone in the town: his brother, his female friends who help out on the farm, the sheriff. There are tons of twists and turns but none of it really comes together in a climactic pay off and none of it really fits together in a satisfying storyline.

Thanks to NetGalley and Blackstone Publishing for the free ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I have really enjoyed Jeneva Rose's books in the past and I was excited to give YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE COME HERE a try. I was initially engaged but the plot lost momentum and languished a bit for me until the 80% mark. The ending felt a bit rushed to me and I would have enjoyed the story more had it kept me more interested up until this point. Overall this was a quick and breezy read that many will enjoy poolside this summer. I will continue to read whatever Jeneva Rose writes next as she is clearly a talented author.

Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for an electronic ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Rating- 4.5 stars rounded off to 5

Jeneva Rose deserves a Ph.D in writing twisty thrillers!

Thanks NetGalley and Blackstone Publishing for the ARC!

A romantic thriller set in an isolated Airbnb in rural Wyoming! Need I say more ??

“𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘚𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥𝘯’𝘵 𝘏𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘏𝘦𝘳𝘦” is a deliciously dark thriller that “𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘚𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥𝘯’𝘵 𝘉𝘦 𝘔𝘪𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘨” 😉😂

Synopsis -

Grace Evans is looking for a break from her routine mundane life as a banker in New York. Heading to Wyoming for a relaxing vacation in an Airbnb ranch house, she meets the owner Calvin Wells. Chemistry sparks between them, but Grace is sensing several anomalies with the house, the town and even suspects Calvin - who might be too quick in falling for Grace.

Review -

The dual POVs of Grace and Calvin got me hooked instantly. Rose brilliantly assimilates all the eclectic ingredients to create a jaw-dropper of a psychological thriller – the isolation, unreliable narrators, a creepy house and awry incidents that turn your brain into a think tank full of questions, speculation and suspicion.

The initial attraction between Grace and Calvin soon turns into freaky obsession – which is when I didn’t know who or what to believe anymore, so I just had to go with the flow.

With some weird townsfolks thrown into the mix and Grace’s countdown for the end of her vacation – the tension and curiosity become unbearable.

Just like her other books 𝘖𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘜𝘴 𝘪𝘴 𝘋𝘦𝘢𝘥 and 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘗𝘦𝘳𝘧𝘦𝘤𝘵 𝘔𝘢𝘳𝘳𝘪𝘢𝘨𝘦, the climax is typical Jeneva Rose – juicy, full of chaos, manipulation and clever deception all resulting in a hard hitting gut punch😱 - if only you could suspend a bit of disbelief, as well as let’s just say - one of the more common and heavily used thriller tropes in the recent times🙃.

Overall, I enjoyed this page turner with a unique idea that blends romance and domestic thriller genres!

Grace rented an Airbnb in a remote town in Wyoming, hoping for a relaxing week away from her everyday life. When she arrives she’s pleasantly surprised to find the owner, Calvin is handsome and charming. And although the lack of cell service, broken car, and reports of a missing women cause Grace to feel uneasy she decides to stay.

As the days pass Grace and Calvin spend more and more time together. Despite multiple incidents and concerns from Calvin’s family and friends, they continue to grow closer. But as her departure date nears the two are left wondering what is next.

This story is told in dual POV which I absolutely love, especially with thrillers. However the pace was a little slower especially in the beginning. I understand having suspense that slowly builds but this was too slow.

Throughout the story there is this creepy and sinister vibe lurking. (Which I know is the point but man did it hit the mark there, I was left feeling kind of unsettled.)You can tell something is wrong but it’s so hard to pinpoint exactly what it is. The use of red herrings and slight hints was honestly perfect. There was a moment in the book I began to suspect the main twist but there were multiple other red herrings that kept me guessing. And even though I had inklings to the main twist, I never saw the full twist coming.

This is my first by this author but I will definitely be going through her backlist!

Perhaps You Shouldn't Have Come Here but you should definitely read this gripping book!

Grace Evans is looking for a complete change in pace. She lives in NYC and is overworked and needs a break. She Books an Airbnb on a ranch in Wyoming. Her onsite host is Calvin Wells. He's handsome, rugged, and muscle bound. He does whatever he can to make sure she enjoys her stay!

She learns from the very beginning that there is no cell service and no internet. That's not all, her car is no longer working and quite a few people have let her know that she doesn't belong. Welcoming? Not so much! The animals aren't that fond of her either. She gets bucked from a horse and almost attacked by another animal. NYC this is not. She is dealing with a whole other animal here. Plus, there is a missing woman. What happened to her? But Calvin is nice and there is a mutual attraction, plus, her car isn't working, so stay she must!

This book is told through both Grace and Calvin's POVs. This was a nice touch, and it was great knowing their thoughts. Not everyone is telling the truth. I thought "liar liar pants on fire" many times while reading this book. Woohoo! This was a creepy, entertaining, and fun book. I had no idea what I was in for when I began this book. I had a hard time putting this one down and was turning those pages as fast as I could read.

Very well done with an ending, that well, you need to read for yourself!!

Gripping, creepy, fun, and hard to put down!

Wow. This book was shocking to say the least. A great combination of surprises, twists, and turns. I could not put it down. I had no idea how it was going to end.

I had high hopes for You Shouldn't Have Come Here by Jeneva Rose because of the favorable reviews of hr previous books.

"Grace throws a dart at the map and hits Wyoming. She heads to an Airbnb ranch hosted by Calvin. Something seems a little off about him. When the Sheriff comes by asking about a missing girl Grace wonders if she'll make it home alive."

Nothing happens for the first two-thirds of this book - nothing. There's a little flirting, some teasing but that's it. A couple of comments that make you think "Maybe that's something" but NOTHING. Near the end - the last 50 pages it gets better. It's happened in thrillers so often though you can almost see it coming.

I wanted more of Calvin. No spoilers but let see what makes him tick. And there's a thing with Calvin that's horrifying. Why is Grace there? Why is she acting like that? I would love a book with just Grace, especially after the ending reveal.

The ending doesn't save this one. Read if you like a really slow burn.

I absolutely love jeneva rose, I read the perfect marriage and fell in love on how the twist of the book ended I didn't see it coming. So I had high hopes for this one i expected a wow twist. I'm not saying I hated it or loved it but I actually expected the ending kinda knew it would end like that. I was not surprised. It was super slow at the beginning I had to push myself to keep reading only got good at around 60% of the book. Liked the writing it was just super slow burn and with all the hints throughout the book I guessed the ending. Character grace went on vacation to a secluded airbnb and meet tbe owner Calvin as days passed they started falling for each other but weird things started happening but she decides to stay, even after finding out a girl went missing in the same area. Rating 3.5

When I saw this book described as Verity meets Yellowstone, I needed to read it asap! I'm very thankful to @netgalley and @blackstonepublishing for the eARC!!

I got more Big Sky vibes when reading. Calvin, the MMC, immediately reminded me of Ronald Pergman from the show. I struggled with the characters at first. They felt a little flat and repetitive. By the end, I see how this supported unhinged characters. We never learn much about Grace, the FMC staying at an Airbnb in the middle of nowhere Wyoming. The focus is always on Calvin and his secret past. There are so many red flags and crazy things that happen on the ranch 😯 All of this kept my attention and at times had me on the edge of my seat. Overall a slow start but a super strong ending that has this one living in my head still.

THAT ENDING...WHAT!?

This is the second book that I've read by Jeneva, and it won't be my last! Grace is trying to get her yearly escape from her NY life when she books an Airbnb stay at a ranch located in Wyoming. Location being in the middle of nowhere that she drives to in her crappy car (that ends up breaking down). She definitely did not expect the rancher to be as easy on the eyes as he is. They hit it off right away...that is until a sheriff comes knocking at the door asking about a missing woman that booked to stay on the ranch weeks prior.

This is told from dual POV's which I absolutely LOVE! I really enjoyed getting to know each character and their stories and what they were thinking. I think this would be an entirely different book just told from one person's POV. Definitely recommend if you enjoy family secrets, creepy small-town vibes, country living, & TWISTS.

I saw red flags the entire time but just kept ignoring them because I really did like Calvin from the start! He was so sweet! HOWEVER, with no cell service or Wi-Fi from the get-go, I'm not sure how long I would be able to stay. The entire book you get these creepy feels, kind of like if somewhere were always watching you type of feels. And you never knew who was telling the truth. I also got vibes from Grace that there was more to the story with her. The great thing though, IT ALL COMES TOGETHER IN THE END! This book was a quick read for me; kept my attention and entertained me all throughout.

Many thanks to Blackstone Publishing for this e-ARC! Release date is 4/25/23 and I 100% recommend it. This review will be posted to my TikTok (kaileeunderwood713) & Instagram (k.underwood713) in the near future!

This book was an absolute trip. I haven’t read anything like this in a while something that would keep me on the edge of my seat and also keep me guessing. The characters were interesting and each individual person was equally suspicious. I thought that I knew exactly who the culprit was, and who would be pointing the finger at. But I was, especially dismayed at the very end, but completely thrown off. I enjoyed this book so much. It was extremely compelling to finish and get that final aha moment. What a great read I will definitely be recommending this book.

This was not for me. I love Jeneva Rose, and enjoyed her previous books, but this one was cringey. The insta-love was disturbing, and nothing exciting remotely happened until the 74% mark.

✨ Book Review ✨

A big thank you to @blackstonepublishing @netgalley for the #gifted ARC #YouShouldntHaveComeHere !!

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

📖 You Shouldn’t Have Come Here by Jeneva Rose

A city girl books an Airbnb out in the country where nothing goes as planned.

What it has to offer:

🔪 Thriller
👀 Suspense
🧩 Puzzling
💋 Romance

Quick thoughts:

✨ Starts out like a romance.
✨ Creepiness factor slowly increases.
✨ Lots of puzzle pieces.
✨ Some loose threads.

Overall thoughts:

📝 I love this authors writing style. Everything flowed so smoothly and the pacing was perfect. I was completely hooked.

🔪 The thriller vibe started off really subtle but there was enough happening to kick my mind into gear to get me to start questioning all the characters.

👀 My mind was running so fast I had to slow myself down while reading. I just wanted whatever was going to happen to happen. The suspense kept me on the edge of my seat.

🧩 There were some puzzle pieces to sort through while reading that kept me engaged in the story. At the end, there are a few loose threads but nothing major.

💋 This actually reads like a romance for most of the story but theres definitely something off about it. It also gets a bit spicy too!

💜 My favorite part was cat and mouse like nature of the story that kept getting flipped around so it was hard to pin point any of the characters as good or bad. It kept me guessing up until the very end.

If you enjoy thrillers with a romance twist then give this one a read!