I received a free ARC ebook of < i> Leave No Trace</i> from NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review.

What an exciting read! This novel can be classified as a political thriller, a naturalists' homage, and as a great mystery. Former park ranger Michael has already risked his life in service to his country. He lost a foot and, more importantly, his wife and fellow ranger to what appeared to be random violence at Mount Rainier. Unable to physically continue as a ranger he joins the National Parks investigative division to solve crimes at any park. Consequently his knowledge of unique features of any park will come in handy. When the Statue of Liberty is toppled by a bomb, Michael is tasked with the investigation. Joining him is FBI agent Delgado who is an experienced demolitions expert.

Together the two recognize the growing threat of domestic terrorism. The Statue of Liberty is just the first target in a plan to dismantle America as we know it.

This novel has wonderful opportunities for series development.

Wow, just wow! This book is awesome. Tons of action, the circumstances of the plot are actually scary, I can see it happening. But the characters just draw you right in, they’re put in impossible situations and prevail. They’re human, interesting, intense, strong and many other things. I’m definitely looking for the next book. I would give this 10 stars if I could. #LeaveNoTrace #NetGalley

This book appears to be your run of the mill first in a series books. What makes it stand out are the nuggets you learn along the way about the national parks, federal lands etc. The story itself is good and it begins to flesh out the main characters. The way the book ends leaves hope for more adventures in the future.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the ARC.

3.25 ☆

I received this from Netgalley.com.

An okay read, I especially appreciated the nuggets of history surrounding each landmark.

I enjoyed this action-packed thriller, though it isn't the type of novel I typically read. The premise is great and I like how the chapters alternate POV between National Park Services investigator Michael and FBI agent Gina (and later a third character), which ratchets up the suspense as the story races towards its climax. The master criminals, an ex-military officer and a disaffected loner, have amassed a secret militia and a cache of weapons in order to overthrow America, and the first step in their plan is causing destruction on the order of 9/11 at various national parks across the country. The conspiracy is far-reaching, with the agents suspecting collusion high up in the US government. This conspiracy element is reminiscent of Dan Brown's novels, and anyone who enjoys this type of thriller should find a lot to like here. The settings at various national parks add a lot to the story, as the author weaves in a lot of information about each park and its history. This one is easy to picture as an action film!

I truly enjoyed reading
What a wonderful book.
Thanks to.Netgalley for the opportunity
I hope this is the first of many.

An explosion on Liberty island has left the country in a state of shock and panic. Can Special Agent Michael Walker and Assistant Special Agent in Charge Gina Delgado find the people behind this horrific attack before it’s too late?
This was a fast paced, edge of your sit book will leave you breathless.
Thank you Netgalley and the publishers for the ARC. #Netgalley #Leavenotrace
Pub date: 2-27-24

Terrorists have toppled the Statue of Liberty….and they are just getting started.

Michael Walker, a special agent in the National Park Service’s Investigative Services Branch, is awakened one morning by a call from his boss, An explosion on Liberty Island has caused the Statue of Liberty to tumble: between the explosion and the statue’s fall, untold hundreds of people are feared injured or worse. Michael is ordered to get to the scene and be a proxy for his boss, a member of the Joint Terrorism Task Force which they both know would soon claim jurisdiction on the scene. Meanwhile, Assistant Special Agent in Charge Gina Delgado from the FBI’s New York field office is also headed to the scene. After initially butting heads Walker and Delgado join forces to discover not only who is behind this attack but what else the perpetrators have planned. Walker finds a teenage boy wandering near the site of the explosion, and discovers that the boy took a picture of four men on a boat just off Liberty Island right before the detonation, which may be a major clue. As other major cultural sites are targeted, it will take Walker’s in=depth knowledge of the many National Park Service locations. Delgado’s background in explosives and their combined investigative expertise to identify their opponents, prevent more catastrophic accidents, and stop a movement that is looking for nothing less than the overthrow of the US government.
This is a fast-paced thriller, the first in a what I suspect is a possible series, that hooks the reader from the very first chapter and doesn’t let them go. Walker and Delgado are strong characters, highly competent at their jobs and not afraid to color outside the lines just a bit. They have interesting backstories, including someone high up in the government who wants Walker kicked out of the Park Service, and possess strong observation skills and dedication to doing their job well. With chapters alternating between these two characters’ perspective as well as some from those on the opposing side of this conflict and a Native American teen who has gotten pulled in to a situation far beyond what he thought it was, this plot is intriguing and the tidbits of knowledge about different NPS sites woven into the story are fun to learn. With glowing author blurbs from luminaries like Lee Child, Michael Connelly and Brad Meltzer (among others), it is safe to say that fans of those authors as well as Nevada Barr will enjoy this new offering from A. J. Landau (pseudonym for the writing pair of Jon Land and Jeff Ayers, so readers of those two authors should grab a copy as well). I look forward to another possible outing for Walker and Delgado, and thank NetGalley and St Martin’s Press/Minotaur Books for allowing me access to an advanced reader’s copy of Leave No Trace.

This is an excellent story filled with lots of drama. Michael is an investigator with the Parks Services and Gina is an FBI ASAC. The story is told from both their points of view. They join forces to track down terrorists who are intent on destroying America. The authors do a marvelous job of keeping the readers interested and turning the pages. The little details about the parks add depth to the story as well. The characters are detailed and full bodied and allow the reader to decide who they will like or not. This is a great way to start a series.

I enjoyed this book so much! It was jam-packed with action in every chapter as both Michael and Gina work together to save not only the national parks that are being targeted, but all the tourists and civilians there.

I really enjoyed how the book started with just an attack on the Statue of Liberty, but then progressed to more and more national parks as you found out the one attack wasn't isolated. I enjoyed learning a little about each national park along the way!

I thought this book was paced perfectly for this sort of genre. The book kept me reading and I honestly couldn't put it down! I just wanted to keep reading!

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to read crime, action, or mystery books, but at the same time I think anyone would enjoy this book!

I learned a lot about national parks while reading this book. I thought the fun facts at the beginning of each chapter was a nice touch. The book was definitely action packed in the beginning and the end, but dragged on in the middle. I would have liked things to have moved a little faster and for the plot to be more streamlined. There seemed to be a bunch of threads that didn't weave together well until the very end.

ARC from NetGalley. All opinions are my own.

I finished this in under 3 days, it's definitely a page turner! I had no idea that the National Park Service has an investigative branch; as a nature/parks lover I liked the national parks angle and tidbits of info about different parks and monuments. Good flow to the story and held my attention, I did figure out the twist pretty quickly. How close to reality this could potentially be was definitely unsettling. I'll be looking forward to the next in this series! Thanks to Netgalley and St Martin's for the advance read.

I requested to read and review this book for free from Minotaur Books an Imprint of St. Martin's Publishing Company. This story line has drama, suspense and much more. What would you do if you found out there was going to another terrorist attack/world War. When the Statue of Libery is partially destroyed the first thought is terrorist take. While it is there is so much more to it. Agent Walker stumbles onto a survivor and helps him out. Not knowing that will lead to so much more. FBI Delgado is a take charge kind of girl which is a good thing considering all that is going on. How can you stop bad things from happening when you don't know who can be trusted.? The person next to you might be your biggest allie or your enemy. Is anyone safe? When the dust clear who won? And what do you do from there? This book can be read anywhere and for a mature reader.

"Leave No Trace" by A.J. Landau delves into a gripping narrative of domestic terrorism and the ensuing investigation led by Special Agent Michael Walker of the National Park Service. The detonation and subsequent toppling of the Statue of Liberty sets the stage for a high-stakes race against time and shadowy antagonists as government forces work to thwart further acts of destruction.

A thrilling and tense exploration of terrorism, political intrigue, and the wide-reaching impact of an attack on a cultural symbol. Through the protagonist's involvement and the revelation of a critical piece of evidence by a young survivor, the story leads readers into a world of deception, manipulation, and shadowy forces operating within the government.

A.J. Landau's "Leave No Trace" provides a harrowing and urgent narrative that dives into the complexities of security, counterterrorism efforts, and the delicate balance of power within the government, elevating the tension and stakes with each revelation. This novel is an immersive and thought-provoking read, showcasing the author's skill in crafting a compelling thriller that tackles both personal and wide-scale security threats.

Leave No Trace is an amazing story that begins with the attempted destruction of the Statue of Liberty and ends with her being risen again. It has a subtitle of being a National Park Thriller. All of this is true, what it doesn’t say is that it is the non-stop action filled story of a subversive army that is attempting to destroy the US and all it stands for. The leaders of this army are malcontents who want the country destroyed for their own personal reasons. The protagonists are a Park Police investigator with a prosthetic leg, a female FBI agent with a background in the military who is an explosives expert, an 18 year old Native American who is as courageous as any hero in fiction, a teen age boy who although injured by an explosion tells the authorities what he saw and gave them their first leads and an Army Officer who is the poster man for our military. The story is told in each one’s voice and is captivating. Thanks to Net Galley and Minotaur Books for an ARC for an honest review.

Very interesting read. Makes you wonder if there might be some truth mixed in with the fiction especially with the current state of affairs. I received an advance review copy for free and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

"Leave No Trace," a National Parks Thriller by A. J. Landau, Jon Land, and Jeff Ayers, delivers a gripping and fast-paced narrative that combines the excitement of a thriller with the intrigue of national park trivia. The story kicks off with a daring act of terrorism, as the Statue of Liberty is brutally attacked, setting the stage for Special Agent Michael Walker of the National Park Service to take charge of the investigation. However, the plot thickens as Walker collaborates with Gina Delgado of the FBI and the Joint Terrorism Task Force, discovering a shadowy domestic terrorist group led by someone known only as Jeremiah.

The narrative unfolds with a relentless pace, taking readers on a thrilling journey across the country's iconic national parks. As the investigation intensifies, the authors skillfully weave in small nuggets of trivia at the beginning of each chapter, adding an extra layer of fascination for readers interested in the parks. The combination of action, suspense, and educational elements makes for a thoroughly engaging read.

One standout aspect of the book is its warp-speed narrative, keeping readers on the edge of their seats. The collaboration between Walker and Delgado adds depth to the story, and as they uncover the layers of the terrorist plot, the stakes rise, creating a sense of urgency.

The inclusion of trivia about visited or desired national park destinations adds a unique and educational dimension to the book. It not only entertains but also sparks curiosity and appreciation for these cultural and natural treasures.

"Leave No Trace" successfully captivates with its thrilling plot, well-developed characters, and the added bonus of intriguing national park trivia. The satisfying ending leaves readers eagerly anticipating the next installment in the series. Overall, a must-read for fans of action-packed thrillers with a touch of educational flair.

I love a great thriller, national parks, and trivia. This book has it all. The story of domestic terrorists who are taking down our national treasures starting with the Statue of Liberty. In response is Michael Walker, Special Agent with the National Park Service, where he connects with Gina Delgado of the FBI and Joint Terrorism Task Force. Together they discover how deep this plot against democracy goes and they are hot on the trail of the leaders behind it which takes them across the country's favorite national parks. This story moves at warp speed and has a very satisfying ending.

I think my favorite part though was the small bit of trivia that begins each chapter which taught me a lot I didn't know about places have have already visited or now I want to visit.

I can wait to read the next one in the series.

Many thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press, Minotaur Books for providing me with an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Started off strong and initially held my interest. Tapered off very quickly and the thrill was gone. Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book

Full of action and suspense, Leave No Trace tells a harrowing tale of insurrection. Michael and Gina join forces to protect the citizens of the United States. Michael faces extra challenges as he navigates with a prosthetic foot. Too much more and I’ll spoil the story. A great read for fans of action and suspense.