Cover Image: Manga Classics: Great Expectations

Manga Classics: Great Expectations

I'm a big fan of Charles Dickens. I read most of his works and watched every single movie or TV series adaptations. So, when I bumped into this manga I couldn't help but dive into it! The illustrations are really amazing. It was cool reading about this character and seeing their faces and expressions.
This manga is true to the story and gives it justice. Mannga Classics does really a very good job.
It's really an amazing product and a good and innovative way to discover or re-discover this impactful classic.
This is my first reading of Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. The manga adaptation was of this book was entertaining to read. I had previously read the Manga Classics of two of Jane Austen's books, Pride and Prejudice and Emma, and had enjoyed not only the classic story but the new format.

The same was with Great Expectations. The art was unique and enjoyable and followed the story well. There were customs of the time period Great Expectation was set in that the manga did not show or follow, which was a little confusing.

The main character, Phillip Pirrip or better known as Pip, was born to humble circumstances and was raised by his sister and brother in-law. He idolized his brother in-law, wanting to be a blacksmith like him. Pip meets Estella, a girl near his age, and wants to be a gentleman instead.

The relationship between Pip and Estella was not my favorite part of the book. She was cruel to him, but it was explained away as she was taught to be this way. Still, even after the cruelty was dished out time and time again, Pip still spent time with her and eventually fell in love with her.

Pip's bad habits with spending money was also a hard part for me. I suppose it was showing that he now can buy the world, thanks to specific plot events.

I liked the new format, along with the art style. There were some plot elements that I didn't like but it was great to learn about England before or during the pre-Victorian era. I received an ARC from NetGalley for a honest review.
I recommend this adaptation to everyone who wants to read Great Expectations. It’ll save you a lot of time compared to the original and you won’t miss out on much.

Great Expectations is not a great story to begin with. It’s a fairly predictable plot that revolves around a bland protagonist. I never cared about Pip, or his so-called love for Estella (why does he even like her? Her only character trait is being mean), or the various side characters and their subplots.
This version cuts out all that filler and we get only the meat of the story. The artwork is beautiful and paints the scene in such a way that it heightens its emotion and tension. It’s certainly an improvement on the original, but, in the end, it’s still tied to it.
I had never read Great Expectations before, but this manga was really nice and made me wondering what would the original novel look like, I hope that I will manage to read it soon and like it as much as I liked this story which is a CLASSIC that I regret is not in the curriculum here...
My second manga in this series and I am afraid I enjoyed Jane Eyre much more.
The art style in this one is equally stunning but sadly the story itself was not for me.

Great Expectations provides you with a lot: mystery, strange characters and romance and while I enjoyed certain aspects of it in the end it just was not enough. The ending was left open in the Manga which I actually prefer and made me give this book 3 instead of 2 stars.

If you like Great Expectations you will also enjoy the Manga and if it is your first time reading it I still recommend this edition. It is quick and easy with beautiful artwork.
I enjoyed this manga version of the classic story. It was a fun way for a new generation to learn about the classics.
The cover looks beautiful and the colors match perfect with art style. Its too bad i cant load it read it since my tablet doesnt let it load
This was a DNF. I had some issues with the file, but I think the artwork is simply gorgeous. Overall, a wonderfully crafted book.
Great Expectations starts out when Pip, the main character, is a young boy. He is sitting by the grave of his parents when a stranger bound in chains comes along and demands Pip give him his food. Then he has Pip agree to bring him more food and a file so that he can remove his chains. This single event changes the whole of Pip's future.

Charles Dickens never disappoints when it comes to interesting characters. Pip is a kind, gentle boy, with large ambitions. His sister is fiery, his uncle gentle, and Estelle, the daughter of the mysterious Mrs. Hibbins, is a puzzle unto herself. Each of the characters were created like puzzle pieces, each one to fit snuggly in a specific way around Pip.

While the plot is similar to many of his other works, like Oliver Twist, in the sense that it is a rags-to-riches story, it is still different enough to be compelling. I know from experience that sometimes when it comes to writing out plots, there are certain kinds of plots that you want to explore from all angles, and since a story can only end one way, it's fun to make up another story that is similar, with a different, more satisfying and/or dramatic ending. And Great Expectations didn't end exactly as I thought it would.

Once again, the artwork of these manga books is just wonderful. The sweeping, gentle illustrations in scenic pictures always lends the story an air of historical essence. I can't help but enjoy each and every picture on the pages.

Manga Classics: Great Expectations is a fun and fascination read paying tribute to the original classic.

I Rate It: 4 1/2 stars

NOTE: I received a complimentary copy from the publisher through NetGalley for review purposes only. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Thanks NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.  So, I loved this so much more than the actual novel.  Of course its the same story, but the visuals were beautiful and I enjoyed it in the Manga format.  It's definitely one I would recommend for those who enjoy a classic with a bit of twist.  Excellent, clear artwork, absolutely a winner!
Enjoyed so much this manga, I`ve always wanted to read the actual book but never got to do it because of the style and now in manga format it was so much easier and enjoyable! The drawings were so well done and expressive!
I love being able to read the classics in this form! I love reading but sometimes it hard for me to read the old English. This makes them so much easier to read and actually know the classics! I had heard about this of course but never really knew it. After reading this graphic novel I have learned that I do not really like this story. It just seemed choppy and the author had ideas but didn’t know how to put them together and just decided to one night. I saw deeper meanings but the craziness of the story covered them up. All in all it was ok but I’m okay to not want to look into it more.
Great Expectations (Manga Classics) art by Nokman Poon, 294 pages. GRAPHIC NOVEL
Udon Entertainment, 2015. $14.
Language: PG (4 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG; Violence: PG13
BUYING ADVISORY: HS - OPTIONAL
AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE
An orphan living with his older sister and brother-in-law, Pip can’t seem to do anything right. He’s summoned to the home of the richest lady around to entertain her and her adopted daughter, which plants Pip’s desire to be more than a poor boy -- Pip wants to be a gentleman. When an anonymous sponsorship suddenly becomes available to him, Pip has to take the opportunity and leave the only home he’s ever known.
This classic adaptation was difficult for me to follow, which might have been because so many details were left out. The time skips felt choppy and disorienting as I was yanked from one big conflict to the next without enough explanation to help connect the dots between events and purposes. I am disappointed that I was not able to improve my understanding of the characters in this story as much as I have been able to with the other classics in this series. While I enjoyed the illustrations in this manga classic as much as the others I’ve read, the story was not as enlightening to read.
Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen
I have a complicated relationship with Great Expectations mainly because I don’t enjoy the original story but enjoy many adaptions across multiple medias. The adaptation has beautiful artwork and I felt the art style did the story justice in terms of showing all the drama and ugliness involved. The only true complaint I have is that I felt the story went on forever. I know Great Expectations is a fairly long story, but, even for a manga, I felt like it was rather long. However, it did stick to the main points relevant points of the story.
I had heard a lot about Great Expectations, but since I'm not a huge fan of classics I stayed away. This Manga classic has inspired me to go read the original story. The artwork is so beautiful. I can't say whether there was any change in the storyline, as I haven't read the original. I enjoyed this a lot. Looking forward to read more Manga classics
I definitely enjoy these manga adaptations of classic works. I'm pretty sure I've read all of them at this point and this one was definitely well done.
The Great Expectations is my favorite book of all time! This Manga edition was a wonderful foray into the book. I enjoyed it so much. It managed to condense the story without missing anything vital, and garner the same emotions I felt reading the book. 5 Stars. I am so happy I read this!
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are my own.

I absolutely adored this story. I've never read the original Great Expectations by Charles Dickens so I can't speak on if this is like the original or not. However, I will say this had a little bit of everything romance, mystery, betrayal and secrets. It is an all around awesome read. The artwork is wonderful and detailed. It's a pleasure to look at and admire.
Manga version of the classic book, had fun reading it. I hadn't read the classic or did read it but it has been so long since I did I didn't remember. So getting the manga version to read was good way of getting into this world.
I did not enjoy Great Expectations when I had to read it as a student but reading it as a mange was truly enjoyable. This is a great way to introduce classics to people who would otherwise never consider reading them.