Cover Image: The Stereotypical Freaks

The Stereotypical Freaks

Loved it!! Especially as a musician and wioth that perspective! The artwork as well is amazing, and truly an awesome black and white style. Where can i buy it!!??
I had trouble really enjoying this book - I could not really get into the story or enjoy the art.
Disclaimer: I was given a digital "galley copy" of this book in exchange for a review.

I am a big believer in graphic novels as a literary form, and while I like a good superhero story, I am just as pleased to find something that tackles more of the everyday experience. The Stereotypical Freaks falls into this latter camp; it follows a quartet of high school students who, despite their differences, end up forming a band so they can compete at a Battle of the Bands in their school.

I like that the protagonist's parents are one of the healthier models I've seen in YA lit. There's also a twist at about the half-way point that I did not see coming that adds a bit of gravitas to what was otherwise, up to that point, a pretty light piece.

I like the subject matter, and wouldn't be opposed to students getting their hands on a copy; but the layouts and storytelling have some technical issues. They don't have a major impact on the story, but they did stand out to me as a graphic novel reader and English teacher.

There are clumsy bits of dialogue that seem mostly to serve as a way to get from one scene to the next, rather than being naturalistic or relevant to the unfolding of the story.

While the art is good, there are places where the image doesn't serve the included text very well -  as one example, midway through the first chapter, there's a panel that should have been split into two pieces, as the accompanying dialogue starts out gleeful, but ends with frustration; the image only reveals the frustration, which works against the beginning of the dialogue and makes the initial tone confusing. In Chapter 2, there is a passage that should be narration from the main character as he looks back on the situation, but it is instead delivered as a thought bubble that implies it's present-tense thoughts and reactions, despite the language being past-tense reflection.

And some of the references are dated - one of the teen characters calls another "Eddie Haskell," which most modern teens (and probably most adults) are going to miss.

There are also some minor writing issues that, as an English teacher, I homed in on. At one point, a character's dialogue is "NI AND NH... NOT INTERESTED AND NOT HAPPENING." This should be written as N.I. and N.H. to make it clear that each letter is being spoken as a letter, and not as part of a word.

There are also some unusual digressions, like a panel describing a Canadian territory; while the fact that the location is in Canada is relevant, the level of detail the characters go into is a bit odd and out of place for what's happening in the story.

I was not in love with the secondary character's father who, even when he's trying to be wonderful in a moment of reconciliation, comes off as kind of a jerk. And the character of Jacoby felt a bit over-the-top at the end.

Overall, this has the look and feel of an author's first attempt at a graphic novel. It's not bad, but it's not polished. Nevertheless, the story is pretty engaging and enjoyable.

There's also an interesting artistic element: This story about kids making music makes lots of musical suggestions. Each chapter has a "recommended listening" list with a couple of titles and artists. It's a neat way to set the tone for the chapter, particularly if one is already familiar with the tunes that are named (though I did notice that Chapter 6 credits two songs to The Who that are actually by Queensryche).

When it's all said and done, if you're looking for a graphic novel grounded in realism and the high school experience, this one ain't bad.
Everyone needs to take time out of their lives to read this amazing graphic novel. It was a simple quick read compacted with so much emotion. This book really brought me back to my high school days and made me look back on some memories I haven't thought about for a long time. I truly enjoyed this graphic novel and I know others will too!
I would have loved this story back when I was 16. It was such a great teen story. Unfortunately, I thought the art style was a bit lacking and could be improved on, which did take away from the overall reading experience. I would recommend it to anyone who loves a high school setting surrounding friendships.
4.5
OMGGGG. I don't know why it took me ages to review this book. I mean, I read it in 2016. 2016. It was one of my favorite books of the year and it made me cry at that time. EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT.
So, I am here to finally write my review.
The story begins with four friends who create a band for a competition. The members name the band "The Stereotypical Freaks" because they are constantly labeled as weirdos, however they are more than a simple label and each of them has their own story.
The book is amazinggggg. I never imagined reading a graphic novel without fantasy or action and just talking about simple life. Life as it is, complicated, even more when you are a teenager. I loved that this book was unique and realistic. The artwork is simple but beautiful, I was expecting colors but it was okay because the lack of colors made the story even more powerful.
I thoroughly recommend this book to everyone!! If it's your first time reading a graphic novel, read this one! You'll love it!!
4 out of 5 stars

I thoroughly enjoyed the storyline of this book and it broke my heart. I almost cried. It was very impactful. The artwork was so simple yet it worked for the story. I really liked how there was recommended listening at the beginning of each chapter as well.
A unique highschool story where four boys differences bring them together to make what starts out as a simple band basement into much more. As time goes on and the bonds between the group become stronger, a member of their group is diagnosed just weeks before the goal they've all been striving towards.
This comic tells the story of four kids who form a band to participate in the battle of bands. The premise of the story sounded simple and interesting, which I really enjoyed.The illustrations are also amazing and so were the characters! I also found the song titles at the beginning of the chapters to be an interesting and great touch.The author did a great job on giving good background and info on school cliques and the stereotypes.
This year has taught me a lot about how fulfilling it can be to allow myself to discover different genres. Until reading this graphic novel, I would easily say gene Luen Yang was the only graphic novelist I really enjoyed but Howard Shapiro did a great job with  The Stereotypical Freaks.  The name of this novel was fitting, which made me smile. Each member of this band were stereotypes and weird in their own way. My favorite was Dan because he was literally...me. Each character was dynamic and brought a lot to the entire story. I love reading books about true friendship. This book represented the essence of real friendship. It is a group of teenage guys who are just being themselves and even though there is some skepticism at the beginning of their friendship, they each have a genuine respect for each other which made me grin. I kind of want to say this has an after school special feel to it, but after school specials are cheesy and full of unnecessary dramatics and this book was neither cheesy nor overly dramatic. I can honestly not wait for the second story i this trilogy because this first one was fantastic! Don't get it twisted, even though this book was given to me through NETGALLEY, this is my honest opinion o this book. It is an amazing read full of diverse characters and bits of knowledge here and there. It would behoove you to pick it up!
I was unfortunately unable to download this book to my kindle to review.
the idea is common, the jocks don't form sentences with "beverage" and "parched" , the two friends remind me of my own delirious friends from high school who had a dream to make it big as a rock band. the drummer had no kit and learned to drum on couch cushions... the art looks a lot like unrefined Disney which is a good way for something im reading for the first time.
as mediocre as it starts out with nonsense cliché perks it soon turns into a full blown trip to the heart. from around the middle it turned into a really good read and until the very end was something i really appreciated.
I gave it 4/5 stars.
I’m gonna keep all these reviews relatively short and pretty simple. I just don’t want to make this post too long. Anyway, let’s just get into this review.

I wish this graphic novel had color, but it was only black and white. Not a bad thing, but I prefer color haha. The art was good and I really enjoyed that about the novel.

All three of these novels are quick and easy reads which is always a plus in my book! We’ll get into the other two later, so let’s just focus on this one.

I gave this novel four stars. I had no reasoning other than it just didn’t stand out as a five-star read. It didn’t stick out in my mind after I was done with it. No bookhangover, but I definitely enjoyed it. It was a good book just not amazing.

I didn’t have a problem with the writing. I didn’t really have any problems with any of these books honestly. I thought the dialog was written well and that the characters were stereotypical. Not necessarily a bad thing. I didn’t have any expectations going into this book. I just wanted something fun and easy to read after a rough week and this book was perfect. I do wish it had more hockey like the other books, but that’s fine since that’s not what this one was about.

Speaking of which this book had a great message> I love how the message was portrayed and I loved the message in general. Don’t want to give too much away so that way y’all can read if for yourselves! 🙂

Overall this book is a great read for anyone who’s looking for something fast and easy. I found this book kinda relatable and if you think you will too then go ahead and pick it up!
*thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

2 stars.
I just couldn't get into this. I dont think there was anything really wrong with it, but I found it too slow and not much happening. For that reason, I really dont have much of a review to give, but I am pleased I was given the opportunity to read it.
The Stereotypical Freaks by Howard Shapiro is a cheesy yet moving graphic novel about four boys who band together – literally – and explore the importance of music, friends and the time they have together.

There were a lot of aspects of this book that I struggled to believe; the fact that four boys with different personalities all happened to listen to the same type of music and could form a band together, for example, and I couldn’t relate to the story or characters. However, that did not stop me from becoming an emotion wreck over this book. You don’t have to relate to these characters to feel their pain and sadness. I certainly cried a river over their story.

The portrayal of teenagers in this was well done in my opinion. There wasn’t too much depth, which I like to read of in high school characters, because some authors write teenagers as if they have their entire life together, which is incredibly unrealistic. Yes, we have depth, but not to the point that we can entirely remove ourselves from one another’s tastes and opinions. We are still influenced by the world, because it is around this time that we are trying to figure out what we ourselves believe. Shapiro gave his characters fairly distinct personalities, yet he managed to keep them acting like your everyday teenager, which I loved.

I also loved the body representations in this novel and the diversity in characters. Most graphic novels I read are about superheroes or people running away from something, situations that require you to be either fit or starving, so you don’t see a lot of different body types. However, this novel was a contemporary set in high school, so it made sense for the characters to vary in appearance and I really enjoyed seeing that.

Although this story is a little fast-paced and there isn’t a whole ton of character development, it was such a deep and meaningful story. We never really saw how the boys became such good friends; we know why, when, who, etc.., but we never really saw any friendship-defining moments until after they became close. However, their friendships with one another were still beautiful and convincing, so I don’t feel like it was lacking too much.

Overall, this book was a quick yet heartbreaking read that I do not regret picking up, nor will I ever forget.
Great depiction of High School days and finding your way.  Good plot and story line.  Much more complex than it appears on the surface.  Looking forward to more in this series with the Hockey Saint.
I had read a little background info on this book before I came in, so one of the main plot revelations had been spoiled somewhat for me before reading.  That did absolutely nothing to lessen the gut punch effect of this story. The writing by Howard Shapiro is wonderful.  The art by Joe Pekar is clean and well inked.  The characters' facial expressions and body language are such a significant part of the narrative adding to and filling out subtext between the characters.  There are silent panels without dialogue that tell a whole story by themselves.

Beautifully written and provides a true window into daily life (as I remember it at least) in a typical American high school, including the jocks, the brains, the 'unattainable' girl, the shy overweight kid.  Sounds pretty stereotyped and the danger here of course is that this book -could- easily have been two dimensional and flat.  It was emphatically not that.  Wonderful storytelling, wonderful story, believable characters, and dammit, it made me cry.

There were a few minor (minor!) penciling typo/editing problems (I read an ARC, so they might well have been corrected before publishing), but one of the characters is spelled Marcel and Marcell several places in the book.

Final opinion: gorgeous powerful story wonderfully illustrated and not to be missed. This one will be with me a long time.

Five stars, wonderful work

Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher.
The Stereotyipcal Freaks tells the story of 4 guys who are all different from each other: a smart kid, a geek, a star athlete and a quiet weirdo, but they know that they are more than just these names. Together they have a band and are going to participate in a band competition. Everything seems okay until they discover something terrible...

The Stereotypical Freaks is such a beautiful graphic novel! I really liked the way they designed it, even though sometimes I missed some colour. The Stereotypical Freaks are a bunch of friends that love each other and that's something beautiful! I also liked the fact that there's music involved. I love playing guitar and reading books/graphic novels about music and playing an instrument is something that I really like!

I really liked this graphic novel, I even cried a little, and I cannot wait to read the next one in the series!
I'm rating this a 3.5, because there truly were some touching moments throughout this comic. However, overall, this felt more generic and full of tropes than anything else.

You have two non cool kids, who are best friends. One is a chubby boy and one is a tall, lanky kid. They feel outcast bunt high school stereotypes so that play music in their parents' basement. One of the boys used to be best friends with the star football player until he became so popular, and then he was cast aside for the sake of being "cool". They decide to form a band, regroup with the football star, find another loner, and viola. They have a band.

However, as they're getting ready for their school's Battle of the Bands, life happens. They're forced to see the world in a different light, and grow a little in the process.

So I mean, was it horrible? No. Did I like it? Mostly, I suppose. But it wasn't super memorable.
The description initially given on NetGalley for this book I found slightly misleading, simply because when the phrase 'life altering news' is used I don't automatically assume it's a cancer diagnosis. Had I known that I wouldn't have requested the book because after A Monster Calls and (most of) A Fault in Our Stars (though both are good books) I had decided that novels centered around cancer just weren't what I wanted to read. I read for fun, and it just kind of depresses me.

As the story progressed I noticed a lot of 'life lessons' being thrown about (all under the general umbrella of 'make the most of life while you can'), it would have been hard not to notice them honestly, as they were all explicitly spelled out, sometimes more than once, leaving the reader nothing more to infer or figure out for themselves. This is something I'd expect for a graphic novel aimed at young readers but given the heavy subject matter I don't think I'd like the age group this level of reading was appropriate for reading this particular story. Especially since the only reason the band enters the competition is so the lead singer can impress his one true love - the most popular girl in school with a 'loser' boyfriend - which is an odd cliche to include in story about overcoming stereotypes?

This said I liked the music references in the story - even though I think I have a slightly different definition of 'rock' than the author.