Cover Image: Lucky Boy

Lucky Boy

Available Jan. 10: Lucky Boy

****4/5 starsshanthi-sekaran-luckyboy

More thoughtful than entertaining, in Lucky Boy there is no right or wrong ending - just a taste of life.

Recommended readers:

If you enjoy thoughtful, real life reads
If you like to step into someone else's shoes via fiction
Here's my Rankings:

4/5 characters
4/5 plot
4/5 overall
REVIEW FROM BOOKS FOR HER:

Two people who grow up in different environments.  One a teenager who grew up in Mexico and dares to sneak across the border and start a new life in America. Another who grew up taking her own unique path, despite her strong Indian heritage. Both women find struggles and solace raising a little boy. Lucky Boy is a thoughtfully written story, making you experience a different perspective on life, motherhood and life's harsh realities. I can't remember another book, where I was so unsure of how I wanted it to end.

Available Jan. 10: Lucky Boy
This review is also posted on my blog: http://debbiesbooknook.com/book-reviews.html

I had high expectations for Lucky Boy, but towards the end it wasn’t as captivating and I struggled to finish it. The story started off great and was incredibly thought-provoking, but I felt some of the events were a bit unrealistic. However, the author, Shanthi Sekaran is a gifted writer and I appreciated her vivid details and intricate characters. The novel is about two women, Solimar Castro Valdez, an undocumented young woman from Mexico and Kavya Reddy, an Indian-American woman and their immense love for you guessed it - a lucky boy named Ignacio. The novel deals with heavy duty issues that include: immigration, detention, infertility, adoption, and motherhood. I recommend this book to anyone interested in learning more about any of the issues listed above.

I would like to thank NetGalley, Shanthi Sekaran and Putnam books for an advanced e-copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.