Cover Image: The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett

The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett

ARC
This was a book I couldn’t and didn’t want to put down. Hawthorn had a weird, sickly obsession with Lizzie. If it wasn’t for wanting to find out what happened to Lizzie I would have nixed the book. The author got me til the end.
This was a quirky and fun twist on the mystery / crime genres. An easy read with memorable characters.
This book started off with me being skeptical, but as I was listening to the audiobook version, it surprisingly became more enjoyable and I liked having it in the background. It felt like the type of book you'd listen to when you want to unwind and a simple and quirky story. Or so I thought it would be.
Unfortunately, Hawthorn, the main female lead, is the most annoying, whiney and pathetic character I've had to read —or rather listen to in the first person point of view. Lizzie Lovett was everything Hawthorn had wanted to be, and thought she was her key to being popular as well, but when that didn't work out for her and Lizzie only knew Hawthorn as Rush's younger sister, she vowed to not care about the girl and what she thought. She announced to all who would listen, which was her only friend anyway, that she hated Lizzie. When in reality, she was just uber jealous. So when Lizzie disappears, Hawthorn is like 'Oh My God who cares? Stop talking about her she wasn't anything special!'
When in reality, she of all people is fixated on Lizzie and the fact that she had this amazing life Hawthorn didn't think she deserved because she was privileged. Good looks and popularity, what more can any girl want, right?

Ugh, so yeah, at 12% in, I couldn't take it anymore and decided to stop. If you have a higher tolerance for a whiney and annoying non-popular kid, this book's for you.
I feel like the title for this book was all wrong.  Lizzie may have been the catalyst for the story but she wasn't the main character and the title is misleading.  I was expecting to actually hear definitive lies from Lizzie, but the focus was on Hawthorn, her obsession with the supernatural, and her inappropriate relationship with Enzo.  I wasn't expecting a hanging at the end, and I wish this had come with some kind of trigger warning alerting the reader that there was going to be a graphic suicide like that.
I really enjoyed this one! The characters were well developed and the plot kept me engaged the entire time!
I've been looking forward to read this book and I have been looking forward to buy a copy of my own, I liked the story in all possible way
I'd suggest you to read this book if you like some of the YA contemporary authors such as John Green or Rainbow Rowell. Was it just me who felt that kind of vibe here? I ended up reading this book from a sale and I didn't realize until much later it's the same book. This book isn't for everyone I suppose but is worth a try.
I wanted to enjoy this book, but sadly, it bored me to pieces. I think it was the narration style that didn’t work for me.
Hawthorn is a high school student that wants nothing more than to make it through a day unscathed. When she learns that the "it" girl Lizzie Lovett has gone missing, she becomes obsessed with finding her and figuring out why the girl that had it all would disappear. I wanted to like this one a lot, but at times I was so annoyed with Hawthorn that I wanted to scream. I get where the author was going with the obsessive attitude of Hawthorn, but it went a bit too far for me and became annoying and made the book not as enjoyable. 3 stars for this one. Thank you, NetGalley for the eARC of this one.
I DNF-ed, and while I was not personally able to get all the way through, I do see an audience for this book.
I thought this book was just ok. I did appreciate Hawthorne's slight growth from the beginning of the story to the end, but I still found her a super annoying character. She was very selfish, self-absorbed, and her desire to be "normal" while still being unique was very eye-rolly for me. The whole book was Hawthorne's obsession with finding out more about Lizzie's disappearance (a girl she didn't even really know) and it got really old. I didn't like the fact that the love interest was 25 and he dated 2 high school girls. Cringy! This book was about 300 pages, but it felt much longer. This is not a book I would recommend.
I picked this one up and put it back down several years- it wasn’t bad writing, just not enough to keep me focused and intrigued. Didn’t fall for any of the characters and had a hard time connecting.
Not quite the "mystery" it was billed as, this book was still an interesting look in how we live our lives and what we let others see of ourselves.  It's a great book for anyone who has ever felt like they didn't fit in and wants to see that experience mirrored in the pages.
This book was not what I expected. I thought it was going to be about a teen obsession in helping find a missing girl and that it would involved twists and turns surrounding her disappearance but it was not at all what I expected.

The main character, Hawthorn, was quite annoying with her obsession over Lizzie's disappearance. And while I could relate to some of the thoughts in her mind from the perspective of a teenager, there were other times where she went too far to the point that it had me wondering "what the @!*&?!" and I almost stopped reading!

However! Despite all of that, I couldn't stop myself from reading it all the way through if only to find out what did in fact happen to Lizzie Lovett.
I enjoyed this book more than I expected. I liked the intrigue and mystery surrounding Lizzie and loved Hawthorne's voice. The MC's voice was very realistic and believable but all in all the story fell flat for me.
I swapped my kindle back in 2018 and am unable to recover this title. I appreciate the opportunity that was given for review but sadly can't complete it for this title. However, based on the other works I know by this author I am awarding 3Stars.
Many thanks.
Another case of better marketing than the book. The blurb of this book was misleading and better than the book itself. Hawthorn was the worst! tt was hard getting a sense of who Hawthorn was because she literally spent most of her time thinking about Lizzie Lovett. Not the mystery/thriller it was hyped up to be.
It was a fast read.
1. The language COULD be thoughtful, humorous or reflective.
2. I hated the main character so didn't care about her motivation or what she was talking about. I did however finish the book...
3. I did skim/skipped some wolf parts.

The good: Great language. Snapshots of high school experiences for better or worse. Quirky characters.

The bad: bait and switched with selling a mystery but it was uncomfortable romance and sadness. Hawthorn was whiny and could grate on my nerves, I could have finished faster, but had to keep walking away so I wouldn't hate her when it got too self centered. After about 1/3 I didn't care about her, nor could I root for her and I actually kind of wanted her best friend to not talk to her for a month or two, or her ice cream to fall on the hot concrete...

The UGLY: I hated the maturity level of anyone over the age of 20, except sundog and Conner. Enzo was a horrible idea. He had so much potential, but he could have been 20 or 21. why 25? That didn't add anything to the story, but it did COMPLETELY TURN ME OFF to it. While things like this might happen, normalizing it in a book like this feels irresponsible.
I really enjoyed this book! I received an arc copy from netgalley back when it was first published and never read it until now. I’m not sure what took me this long to read it because this book will tug at your heartstrings all the way around. It’s an emotional rollercoaster but one of my favorite books of the year! You follow the main character Hawthorne and her friends when something mysterious happens in the community. The plot line was amazing and I didn’t want it to end.