Cover Image: The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett

The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett

I really enjoyed this book! I received an arc copy from netgalley back when it was first published and never read it until now. I’m not sure what took me this long to read it because this book will tug at your heartstrings all the way around. It’s an emotional rollercoaster but one of my favorite books of the year! You follow the main character Hawthorne and her friends when something mysterious happens in the community. The plot line was amazing and I didn’t want it to end.
I requested this one back in the day as I had every intention of reading it. However, its been years and I still haven't gotten around to it and while I feel guilty at not reviewing a book I think that I need to admit to myself that I won't be reading this one anytime soon....if at all.
A great mystery about a missing teen, and the girl who searches for her. I love the spin on this with the MC being almost "stalkerish" in her attempts as she holds the missing girl on a pedestal. In her search she finds out more about herself, which is a great take on any coming of age story.
This book is fantastic! Its illuminating, delicate and quite haunting. I was impressed by this story about an alienated teenager who hates her small town life with its mean and mediocre inhabitants. Hawthorn Creely, a cleverly memorable name, sees the world differently believing in the extraordinary and the unbelievable. She has such a strong voice with a mix of angst, sorrow and dry humour, it immediately hooked me from the first few sentences. The extreme loneliness she feels, as she tries to reconnect with her former football star brother and battle the high school beauty queens who bully her relentlessly, effectively consumes the reader.

When a former popular girl disappears in the woods, Hawthorn feels contempt for how much it affects the town. Everybody comes to a stop, becomes obsessed and begins to mourn for this beautiful girl who once made Hawthorn feel like dirt. She sees Lizzie Lovett as her complete opposite. Even their names are different, Lizzie's spells light, carefree, happy and most importantly adored. When the police struggle to find a trace, Hawthorn becomes curious, just as everybody starts to 'move on'. Through some uncontrollable urge, she takes Lizzie's old job as a waitress and becomes drawn to Enzo, Lizzie's boyfriend. Despite everybody believing him a murderer, they form a connection as outcasts. Hawthorn tries to learn as much as she can about the former queen bee, and becomes fascinated and confused about how unspectacular Lizzie's life had been before her disappearance.

Out of a jokey whim, Hawthorn wonders if Lizzie had turned into a werewolf. But the idea starts to become less impossible the more she thought about it. She manages to enlist Enzo's help and they both start looking in the woods for any traces. This idea is so messed up, but slightly wondrous, because Hawthorn truly believes in magic. Even I started to believe. Not so much the actual werewolf, but the possibility of there being more answers in the world.

Enzo, artistic, grief-stricken and broken, was not the usual love interest. He remained elusive and didn't convince me of his innocence. The dangerous path Hawthorn takes with Enzo and the mystery of Lizzie, which became stronger at each turn, truly enticed me. When we finally find out what happened, Hawthorn's world turns upside down. Everything she believes in immediately unravels. She may believe in fantasy but she was too focused on her own unhappiness and social isolation that she was blind to the experiences of those around her. The ending is uplifting as she comes to terms with this realisation.

I can see this being a movie.
Average ya book. Good writing but the plot was too hard to follow and the characters could’ve been better developed
I heard so many good things about this book. I wanted to like it. I couldn't finish it. I can enjoy an unlikable character, but Hawthorn was too much for me. What do you do with a character that seems to have zero redeeming qualities but not fun to hate?

Maybe it makes more sense as the book crosses the midway point, or maybe it just wasn't for me. I'm glad other people enjoyed it.
More coming of age story than mystery, this is a about a teenager who doesn't fit in, trying to find her place. It's poignant and sometimes frustrating, and comes to an unexpected end. I found the few sympathetic characters around her to be one of the highlights of the book.
Not a psychological thriller like I’d assumed it’d be. Instead, there was Hawthorn not being able to decide what actually happened to Lizzie—since a good portion of this book went over her personal theories and not direct involvement.
Overall:  There are so many things this book gets right.  The backdrop, Griffin Mills, Pennsylvania, an old and dying steel town is a unique backdrop for YA.  The feeling of community and strangeness that are the hippies living in the tents in Hawthorne’s back yard. Hawthorn’s mother’s past and how it translates to her current life.  Hawthorne’s outcast friendship with Emily. How normal and honestly sex is discussed.

Things take a turn from your typical contemporary YA almost immediately.  Hawthorn become inexplicably wound up in the disappearance of Lizzie Lovett, a girl she only vaguely knew in high school. Her extremely active imagination sweeps her away and her relationships suffer almost immediately. Hawthorn splits into two: ordinary high school student during the day and secret unofficial private investigator at night. However, instead of this being a typical missing person’s investigation, it quickly escalates into a  Persona-like obsession.  This obsession sets off a trail of bad decisions that we see Hawthorn that we see through her eyes only.

Ultimately, this book wasn’t about Hawthorn’s seemingly creepy behavior. Instead, it was an exploration of motivations.  Her angst and all her wrong choices are laid bare for the reader and we become judge and jury to Hawthorn, the person.

I will make a final note about:  This book is marketed as YA, but I really feel that it could have been an adult novel.  At the very least, YA written for adults.  Is that a genre? It really should be.

Judge a Book by its Cover:  Bright and sunny, this cover makes this book a natural choice for a Spring read!

Me Talk Pretty:  The sole narrator of the book is Hawthorn. She is an insecure girl.  She is looking for validation and is seemingly oblivious to the effects of her actions on other people.  We are inside her head, for better or worse.  She is a car crash and I’m the driver rubber-necking her every move.  What makes Hawthorn so refreshingly human are her innumerable flaws.  What makes Sedoti such a great writer is how she makes the reader care so deeply about what happens to Hawthorn despite her flaws.

Body Count:  A missing girl case needs to be solved. Will there be a body, will she return or will it become a cold case?

Just. Why.  I found myself scratching my head quite a bit during this book.  Many of Hawthorne’s actions were morally gray, at best.  Many more were beyond cringe-worthy. Despite those feelings, I still cared to find out what happened.

Bizarre Love Triangle:  There is one, which developed very subtly and without too much drama.  But this is YA.  There is eventually SOME drama.  Like so many things in this book, Hawthorn’s love life is refreshingly not the focus of her self-actualization, just one of the stepping stones along the way.

Open tab/Last call: This is Chelsea Sedoti’s first book! I’m definitely keeping the bar tab open to see what she brings next!
The main characters are hard to swallow and the plot is a bit all over the place. The bitterness and jealousy is so blatant that it's weird for the MC to not acknowledge it. The relationship conflicts felt more like those of a 13 year old than a 17 year old. Overall, not very impressed.
Oh how much I wanted to love this book, but didn't! The summary was one that I knew I had to read, but I honestly wish I hadn't. It fell so flat and didn't even come close to what it could have been. I almost DNF'd it sadly.
This book follows Hawthorn Creely, a teenager who becomes obsessed with solving the mystery surrounding a girl from her town who went missing.

I have some mixed feelings about this book, which I will discuss below:

- characters: On the one hand I found the main character to be relatable for me, she doesn't have a very good experience with high school and I related to her not knowing what to do with her future. I really appreciated the parts of the story that discussed these topics. On the other hand, I often disagreed with the choices the main character makes since I found some of them plain stupid. Sometimes I kind of wanted to yell at her, but you know since it's a fictional character I can't do that, so I really appreciated the scenes where other characters would stand up to her and put her in her place. Speaking about that, I really liked the characters of her best friend Emily and her brother Rush (and her brother's friend whose name I've forgotten) and luckily they managed to burst her self centered bubble from time to time.

-plot: From reading the synopsis I thought the book would mostly be about solving the mystery around Lizzie Lovett. I expected the main character to delve into this case and to try and solve the mystery. Instead, the story followed the main character coming up with impossible and crazy theories, and her feeling insulted when people didn't want to believe her (which is very understandable, since her theories were quite ridiculous). The story was a bit slow at times and I really wasn't a fan of the romance the main character was involved in. Even though I was a bit disappointed when I figured out the story would not be as I expected, I still wanted to continue reading and I was still curious to see what would happen next.

-writing: Overall I feel pretty neutral about the writing, I didn't particularly love it, but I didn't hate it either. It took some time for me to get used to the narrator but when I got more into the story I didn't have much trouble with the writing style. The writing style is pretty simplistic which makes it quite easy to understand what's going on, but there were some nice phrases in there and I found a quote that really spoke to me (which is a good sign ofcourse)

To round this off, these were my main thoughts about the book. I would rate this book 3 stars out of 5. I found it compelling enough to finish it and I found myself enjoying the book. I do have some things that I'm not too crazy about, like I explained above, which is why I gave it this rating.
This is one of the rare cases where I don't know whether I like it or not. From the start to finish, I don't know what to feel.
The plot of this one was pretty good, and this was what? Contemporary AND mystery? Well, that got me really excited. After reading, though, I was pretty disappointed. The main character Hawthorne, fell flat for me. She's one of those characters that I find very difficult to like; I like that she's very creative and different but sometimes I wonder if her character has gone mental or something. I also find it difficult to like the other characters; there's only one character I like in the book, to be honest, and that's not Hawthorn (it's Connor).
This book, is a bit anti-climatic, in my opinion. It tried to build the anticipation for the climax but when it does happened, it fell, horribly, flat. But maybe this was the charm of the book, how the main character or story doesn't always have to be likable, it just have to feel realistic.
I was not able to fully get through this book. It was well written but it was not my style of book. I would only recommend this book to SOME of my friends. Thanks for letting me read this book
Will no longer be reading or reviewing this book due to lack of interest in the title, and the fact that the title has been archived.
Hawthorn Creely plunges into  the disappearance of a missing teen, in this story called The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett. Once Hawtjprn discovers that Lizzie has gone missing, she obsesses over trying to solve this mystery, and does what she can by speaking her mind and not caring what people think because she just has to get to the bottom of this disappearance.
I read approximately 50% of the book but could just not finish it. Life is too short to read something I am not totally enjoying. I just couldn't connect with the characters or the writing.
I don't know about this one. I kept seeing it in my feed, so I requested a copy from the publisher on Netgalley. But I nearly abandoned it quite a few times. Hawthorn seemed like an immature brat who sees the world in black or white.
I was very excited to pick this up. The hype it got on bookstagram was insane. I liked this book but there was just something missing that I can't put my finger on. A good one overall though.
I loved this book! The full review will be posted soon at kaitgoodwin.com/books! Thank you very much for this wonderful opportunity to connect books to their readers!