Member Review

Nicole M, Reviewer

Last updated on 11 May 2016

I Recommend This Book

Strongly

I received this book from NetGalley for review, but all opinions are fully my own. I had read (and loved) the first book in this series, The Forest of Forever, so I had high hopes for The Pretender. I can honestly say it did not disappoint!

The book starts out high in action, and the pace is kept up throughout. However at no time do you feel like it is action for the sake of action, it is all bringing you on a fantastic journey, continuing Soren's path of discovery and growth from the first book, and taking it way beyond what we could have ever imagined. This book took the story well past what I could have ever imagined, and I love it all the more for that. I felt like at every moment I was discovering with Soren. Nothing disappoints me more in a book then when I am able to anticipate what will happen next, and at absolutely no stage was I able to anticipate with this book - I truly loved that about it. I sat and read for the day, and did not once want to put it down, constantly feeling like egging Soren and the rest of the characters on towards the end discoveries. I am purposely not giving away any of the story as I want everyone to read it and experience it for themselves. But I will say, if you have not yet read The Forest of Forever, I would highly recommend reading that first, as I feel it gives you a real understanding of who Soren is in The Pretender, and you can really fully understand his angst, and emotions, and what is driving him. Then once you have read it, you can thank me for recommending the read, and get straight to reading The Pretender and have one of the best reads in the Urban Fantasy / Horror / Supernatural genre in a long time!