Member Review

Margaret-Mary J, Reviewer

Last updated on 27 Aug 2016

I Recommend This Book

Strongly

I'm going to start with the things I loved about this book...and that would be EVERYTHING!

In Katrina "Hurricane" Williams, Robert E. Dunn has given us a heroine worthy of rooting for. Suffering from PSTD from a horrific incident she went through while on active duty in the Army 10 years ago, Katrina now works as a detective for her hometown sheriff's department in the Ozarks.  Wicked smart and savvy, she's also damaged emotionally and  holds most people who try to get close to her at  a gun's distance away, as she just tries to survive day by day. When she discovers the body of a murdered girl, her past, present and potential future all collide, forcing her to face her demons and fight for what she truly wants.

The secondary characters who surround  Katrina are all male, something I found interesting while I was reading. There were no women in her life to offer guidance and support,  or to help her navigate through her  confusing and ambivalent emotions,  save for a psychotherapist whom Katrina despises but is forced to see, mandated by the sheriff's department. Their relationship is tenuous at best.

As for the male characters who do surround her, they range from her career army father and uncle, the sheriff, a deputy whom she calls a friend but who she really knows nothing about, and a crime victim who rapidly becomes something much more to Katrina than she wants to admit.

Dunn's lyrical descriptions of Katrina's inner struggles and demons read  almost like poetry as he weaves an intricate and deadly plot of motorcycle gangs, the MOB, cancer survival,  and child abuse into a novel so rife with complex feelings and life-situations, you are compelled to read it slowly, so you don't miss a  nuance of the gut-wrenching emotions he elicits from his characters.

Mr. Dunn was a new author to me, but since A LIVING GRAVE is hailed as the first in a series featuring Katrina WIlliams, he has now become an  author whose work  I am going to look for and forward to.