I See You

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 14 Dec 2017

The pacing was a bit slow on this one, but I'm glad I stuck it out otherwise I would have missed on on a twisty thriller that was shocking and unexpected. I will definitely be looking out for more from this author.
This book can best be described as creepy and unnerving.  A very fast-paced page turner with twists at every corner.  Just who can you trust?
Thank you to NetGalley and Sphere for this free readers edition. In exchange I am providing an honest review.

Zoe Walker is taken by surprise. Her picture is in the advert section for dating and the like. Except she didn't sign up for any dating site and she can't figure out where the picture came from. It makes her uneasy. Her unease turns to fear when she sees another woman's picture in place of her's the next day and that same woman ends up dead the day after. Contacting the police she can only find one who will take her seriously but one is all she needs. Starting her own private inquiry alongside the police investigation Zoe uncovers more women who have shown up in the same advert section and then ended up assaulted or dead. Her police contact is able to persuade the investigation team to look into Zoe's findings more closely and what they uncover is terrifying and puts Zoe in danger. The race is on to uncover the man who is tracking women and selling their information to men who have all sorts of desires they are looking to fulfill. The longer this person remains in the dark the more chances there are for other women to be assaulted.

Creepy, creepy, creepy. So creepy to consider the probability of this scenario becoming real life. People are creatures of habit and this story exposes the dangers we all potentially place ourselves in when we stick to a routine and lose any diligence in being aware of our surroundings and who is close by.
After last year’s triumphant I Let You Go, Clare Mackintosh has banished any fears of a sophomore slump with her second rock-solid thriller, I See You. Click on the link below to read the rest of my review.
Great Book! I love thrillers that keep you guessing until the end. This book gave me that creepy feeling that someone was watching me while I was reading it. I liked the characters and the plot. Will definitely read more by this author!
I started this one but couldn't get hooked. It was a DNF for me, unfortunately.
This book was intense. The characters were well built and the dialogue was easy to follow. I could not put this down until the end and then I was still in awe. Very well written and captivating.
You never know when someone is watching you is the concept of this nail biter of a novel.  Fast paced, and a rapid page turner.  Such a surprise ending as you think you know who it is stalking our main character but boy will you be wrong. Can’t wait to read more by Claire Mackintosh.
Amazing. Doesn’t disappoint.  Highly recommend.  Can’t wait for the next book
My Highly Caffeinated Thought: A a suspenseful, thrilling, and completely absorbing read.

I SEE YOU is one of those books that grabs you from page one and doesn’t let go until long after you have finished. I am still freaking out about this book. The way in which the author has written this story will give you chills as you discover each twist and turn within the plot.

Not only do you enter the minds of Zoe and Kelly, but there are also glimpses of the perpetrators’ psychosis as well. Looking back, what I loved the most was the dark physiological element as well as the deliberately malicious actions behind choosing the women of FindTheOne.com. Honestly, the book is an utter mindf**k, and I loved every page. I cannot wait to read Mackintosh's third book!

Audio Book Note: I originally had the opportunity to listen to this book after I read the ARC. The narrator ,Rachel Atkins, embraces all the emotions that play out within the pages of this book. She breathes new life into the characters and gives them a voice.
Zoe Walker, completely by chance, sees her picture in a newspaper, the London Gazette. It's especially disturbing that her picture is included in what appears to be an advertisement for a dating site, or possibly a sex chat line.

It's not long before she learns hat another woman whose picture was also used in one of these ads, for the same website, FindtheOne.com, had her keys stolen from her bag when she fell asleep while riding public transit. Yet another featured woman is killed.

Her son and daughter, and her partner, insist the picture isn't really her, but she continues to be afraid.

Meanwhile, PC Kelly Swift, still trying to rebuild her career from the time when she lost control and assaulted a prisoner, starts out investigating these crimes from the other direction. She investigated the case of the stolen keys, and is the officer the victim in that case calls when she thinks someone has been in her house. When Zoe also calls her, and convinces her there's a series of crimes here, she wants to keep investigating--but she's a British Transport Police patrol officer, not a detective.

Both women are very determined, and not easily discouraged.

Mackintosh very effectively builds an intricate plot, with the clues all there for the reader, while keeping that evidence easy to overlook.

We also get anonymous sections from the viewpoint of the criminal, which are fascinating and chilling and give nothing away.

As the story progressed, there were several points at which I thought I had identified the bad guy, and I was wrong, and the ending was not at all a cheat.

This is a bit darker than my usual taste, and in the content warning category, it should be mentioned that there are sexual crimes recounted.

Overall, though, definitely recommended.

I received a free electronic galley of this book from the publisher via Netgalley, and am reviewing it voluntarily.
Every work day Zoe Walker takes the tube to go to work. Fighting the commuting crowds and trying to make as little contact as possible. Every day it’s the same type of grind but all commuters do it and you see people immersed on their phones, books or even napping. One day though, Zoe sees a picture of a woman who could be her double on a newspaper advertising a chat line.

That’s kind of creepy to her but her family doesn’t seem to think it’s that big of a deal. When she tries to find out more information on the website she runs into a black hole almost and can’t find any real information. She tries to go about her life and enjoys her teenage children and how well things are going with her boyfriend but in the back of her mind she still feels like someone is watching her.

When she finds another photo on the same advertisement and realizes the woman’s picture matches those of a recent crime victim, Zoe is really scared and contacts the police. Luckily Kelly Swift is a police constable who is trying to make a name for herself and won’t let the issue die and as she continues her investigation it seems like Zoe may have stumbled upon a criminal organization.

There were quite a few things to really like about this book, mainly how the author takes something so mundane as commuting to work and makes you think about the people you encounter on your daily work commute. We get so used to our routines, never altering them, and a lot of times not paying attention to our surroundings. The other area where I think the book pulled you in was by casting a lot of doubt among all of Zoe’s circle. Could someone she knows be involved with this scheme?

Great tension and good use of red herrings. Unfortunately, there was one thing I didn’t quite like and I can’t go into it without spoilers. Still this was a very solid read, kept my interest and I would definitely pick up another book by this author.

Source: Advance review copy
While I would love to have loved this book, I found it, unfortunately, quite slow and just did not keep my interest up at all.

The characters felt stiff as was the dialogue.  Nothing to like here.
I hope your daily commute isn't as creepy as poor Zoe.  She feels like someone is stalking her, but everyone tells her she is imagining things, even after she sees a picture of herself in the want ads!  As the suspense built up in the story, I had a hard time going to sleep because I could see how all of these events could happen.  The book definitely earns a high rating on the creepiness scale.
'i see you' is a tautly written thriller, racing between events and points of view quickly enough to leave you breathless and but not so fast that you won't want to keep searching for the answers.
I usually don’t read thrillers because there’s always a point in the book (usually at the beginning) when I figure out who did it or the plot twist, so I rarely take my chance on this genre, that said I did see a bunch of good reviews for this book and lots saying that is was really entertaining so I decided to give it a chance.

I have to say I was surprised at how much I enjoyed reading it, at time things seemed to go really slow but most of the time things were pretty fast paced and new mysteries were being uncovered, we also have two narrators that are more than just about the mystery of the book, they are normal women who also have to be there for their family and that have things in their past that are threatening to come out because of the events that happen in the book.

I did figure who was behind it all but it did take me more than half the book so that’s good!
If you enjoy suspense and a twisting plot that conveys the lack of privacy that we all now share, this is a must read.  Zoe Walker finds herself in a classified ad, and must fight to find out who put her there and why.  Clare Mackintosh's criminals use technology to up the ante for the traditional voyeur, while they simultaneously deny their culpability for the results.

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC copy, opinions are my own.
I See You is definitely one of the better thrillers I’ve read in a while. I don’t know why it took me so long to get around to this book, but I’m so glad I finally did, because I forgot how much I love mystery/thrillers! I don’t think I can say much without this review getting spoilery, so I’ll just focus on what the book did well and what I think it could improve on.

This book primarily follows a woman named Zoe Walker, who lives in London and who, one day on her commute, sees a photo of herself in a classified ad in the newspaper for a website called FindTheOne.com. She begins monitoring the classifieds section and soon notices a pattern of women whose faces appear in the Find The One ad being the victims of violent crimes. We also get the perspective of a police officer, Kelly Swift, who gets assigned to this mysterious case.

One thing I appreciated about I See You was how the reader really got a complete glimpse into Zoe’s life. Yes, it’s a bit mundane, but it’s also fully-developed. We as readers get to see her interactions with her family, her friends, her boss, her ex-husband, etc. in addition to her interactions with the people working on the case. I don’t know, I just find it refreshing when characters actually feel like real people, and this can feel lacking in a lot of thrillers. We also get a good idea of who Kelly Swift is and what her motivations are for the work that she does. I found both these characters to be relatively likable.

With that said, I did find the narrative style a bit strange. Zoe’s perspective is told in first-person present POV, while Kelly’s is in third-person past POV. This switch not only from first- to third- person, but also from present to past tense, made absolutely no sense to me. It did place a very clear separation between the two POVs, but I definitely don’t believe it was necessary. Additionally, we get an occasional third perspective from the person who created FindTheOne.com (who remains anonymous until the end of the novel). These chapters were INTENSELY creepy, and they added a lot to the suspense of the book overall.

Also, there’s a twist at the very end of the book that I did NOT see coming. Like, at all. I was feeling smug because I thought I had correctly predicted who the culprit was, but NOPE. I love a thriller with a twist ending/open ending, and I See You did not disappoint on that front.

Overall, I would highly recommend I See You to anyone who enjoys reading mysteries or thrillers! It’s compelling, well-written, and has an ending that is guaranteed to throw you for a loop. I can’t wait to pick up more of Clare Mackintosh’s books next time I’m in the mood for another thriller!
Another GREAT read from Clare Mackintosh! I wondered how this would measure up to I Let You Go, but it totally does in my opinion. It's at the top of my to-order list for the library!
Monday through Friday for most people is like Groundhog Day. You leave home at the same time every day, take the same route to work and then do the same thing on the way back home. Zoe Walker is on such a commute when she spots a picture in an advertisement that looks a lot like her. Her family can't believe it's her, but when more women appear in the same advertisement, then she is convinced she is correct. Officer Kelly Swift is the first to hear from Zoe and the pictures in the paper. She makes the connection between other pictures in the paper and crimes against women that have happened in the area. Will Kelly be able to find out who is behind the ads before it's too late?

Than you to NetGalley and Berkley Publishing for the opportunity to read and review this book. This is the first book I have read by Clare Mackintosh and I look forward to reading more by this author.

At first this book started off a bit slow for me. I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. At about the half way mark, things began to pick up. Can you imagine what you would do if you found your picture in the paper? A picture you didn't pose for or give the paper permission to use. What if you found out that there are other women who have had their picture in the advertisement as well and they have been violated in different ways.

I don't know what I would do if I knew someone may be following me to work every day. Ready to either meet me and ask me out for a date, or do something even more serious to me. Can you imagine being on guard all the time. That is how Zoe feels and there isn't much she can do, but wait for the police's help. You never know who is going to do something to you or who is just being friendly.

Early on I thought I knew who the culprit was and when Zoe made the discovery, I was like, "I knew it!" only a few pages later to find out how wrong I was. The last final chapters had me on th edge of my seat and I'm sure it will do the same for you. I can't wait to read  I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh.

You can find all my reviews at http://whatchatreadin.blogspot.com