Cover Image: Out Of Play

Out Of Play

Well written. About the slow demise of a marriage. I really didn't resonate with the characters all that much, but I'm sure other readers will love this story.
Out of Play seems to be the usual Romance novel with LARP as a main subject – a married couple has problems since the husband likes to go to LARP on weekends an wife does not understand his fascination with it. As usual the therapist suggests to her to try the LARP for one weekend. And she will, without telling her husband, that she will also be there. But as a jealous spouse and not knowing the rules of the game, she is making more mess than good, with her participation and meddling in the game.

But that’s not all. There is another much deeper story that runs under this “fun” story, the story that pushed the husband into LARP games and the wife to draw back from her husband. So if you give up on the book before the deeper meaning of the book is revealed you will be missing a lot.

It was an interesting and heart rendering story
The book has an excellent writing style that I can appreciate.  The depth of the narrator is quite amazing.  The author of this novel was really planning out how this novel would flow.  I believe that the author knew what they were writing.  The plot line is quite interesting.  However, I removed a star because I personally am not a fan of how the main character seems to be angry at some things that seem little at the beginning of the novel.  Overall, a story I think that many people could get enjoyment from.
This is a shortish read and one many women I think will identify with

Gillian is worried her husband thinks more of his hobby than he does of her.

Her therapist suggests she join him and she does.. with some hilarious consequences.

I loved this read it is fun and very entertaining. Well written I do hope we see Gillian again
A wonderfully humorous and heartfelt story about love and LARPing (live action role-playing).  I don't read a lot of this genre but I am so glad I read this one.  A really brilliant read.
a very slow read that I was unable to finish, I read as far as 57% and was unable to get further. I felt the story was too long winded, and took too long to get through one scenario. I found the characters hard to relate to. I found Gillian to be such an annoying character. I liked the concept- how far would you go to save your marriage?
but the concept just wasn't enough to sustain the story, not for me.
This book was one of the wittier ones I have read in a long time. The author has a fresh style of writing. The story was strong and the characters believable. Would recommend.
I found protagonist Gillian to be one of those rare individuals who is witty, slightly neurotic, loyal, and intelligent. She is a woman who finds herself at a pivotal point in her life and in her marriage, and in dealing with it all she manages to put herself in more than a few amusingly awkward situations. When husband Ralph becomes fixated on his LARP hobby Gillian handles this new challenge in her relationship in an unexpected and hilarious manner that had me shaking my head and admiring her simultaneously.

Everyone needs a friend like Gillian, and her best girl friend Jas, is fortunate in this regard. The easy friendship between Gillian and Jas is among my favorite parts of the story; the delightful way these two women are sounding boards for one another, and their unfiltered insight and candor with each other is realistic and enviable.

With so many books focused on finding Mr. Right followed by a wedding, I love how this book focused on the period afterward (post wedding), the true-to-life marriage part of the relationship. Gillian and Ralph’s marriage has had its share of problems and as a reader I kept rooting for them to figure things out.
It took me forever to get around to reading this book, and for that I apologise. It was such a good read!
This book although very well written started out a bit slow but don't let that stop you from the intriguing and touching story that follows. Glad to have read this book!