Manga Classics: Jane Eyre

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

"Jane Eyre" is my favourite classic. I love the story, the characters and the important messages it sends. So, when I bumped into this manga I was really curious to see how they converted this novel into a graphic one. I have to admit it, I'm really impressed. Everything was true to the story and the lovely illustrations give an additional power to it. Seeing Jane and Rochester while reading their story was really amazing!
This adaptation is a very fresh and new way to discover or re-discover Charlotte Brontë's novel.
A unique approach to a classic tale, it was delightful to read and see the characters act out the exaggerated expression one often associates with manga.

I'd love to read all classics this way. It is also a wonderful way to introduce classics to new readers.
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I had so many of these manga classics to read and review and it did not feel like a chore at all. I love this type of storytelling, and I've tried before to read the actual Bronte sisters works but I would quickly lose interest. This format is perfect for students or people just wanting to enjoy classics without all the pressure that goes with them.
This was such a fun and quick read. I remember reading the original book and it felt like it took forever. This I finished in just a few hours. It was a great adaptation and the illustrations were really good. Definitely, recommend.!
The illustrations are beautiful and the adaption stays faithful to the classic! This is perfect for those who have a bit of trouble in getting though the original text; I feel they will be more motivated to read the original. It's also good for readers who are just starting to venture into the classics. And those who need a little bit of help visualizing certain parts in the novel won't be disappointed either.
TW: child neglect, abuse, slurs, suicide mention

Disclaimer: I haven't read the original book so have no way of comparing the two.

I've wanted to read any Brontë Sister book for YEARS now and look at that, I finally have! Now I can be protentios about it if I want.

Like I said before, I haven't read the original so I don't know how it compares to the Manga adaptation. I loved the art, I love the way SunNeko Lee draws her art. And I truly appreciate the work Crystal S Chan has put into adapting the book for the Manga version.

Okay, to the story. For me personally, Jane Eyre was okay. It wasn't a life changing experience reading it, but I got through it. I don't know if it's a book I would enjoy in any setting, but it has its people.

Jane is young and hasn't experienced much love so her version of a good man is a bit wonky and NGL, Mr Rochester seemed rather dodgy to me at first. I don't fault Jane for her choices in men, she's had an awful life and this is the first guy she's been in love with, so yah know, she's on for the long haul. Then there's the priest who wants to marry her for his work and he's also just a no. Maybe if Jane had met another guy when she was a little older, her feeling for Rochester would change. Who knows. But this is romance and I guess she had to end up with the man she first fell in love with.

I'm not going to lie, in regards to the actual story, I just didn't feel much. Maybe the original book will do, I don't know. But yeah. The art and adaptation are excellent, but the storyline itself seemed a bit drab to me.
I have enjoyed most of the titles from this set of re-imagined classics in manga form and this title has to be one of my favorites. The pacing is done very well, the art is beautiful, and the story is easy to follow even for those who have not read the original. I think this is great for readers who may not enjoy reading, or those who struggle to understand classic novels.
This manga adaptation of one of the most classic romance stories not only holds up well; it offers a new lens through which to view this beloved book and its complex characters. It has always been hard for me to view Rochester as anything besides dour and problematic, except during his most heartfelt romantic speeches. This manga beautifully demonstrates the whole of Rochester, not merely in those moments, but throughout. Longtime Brontë fans and those new to Jane Eyre alike will love this solid new adaptation.
This was my first time ever reading Jane Eyre. And I really enjoyed it. The drawings was so beautiful and I really enjoyed the storyline. I loved that Jane was so Independent and didn’t take crap from no one.

“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an Independent will” - Jane Eyre.
Everyone knows the Bronte sisters and their works. Jane Eyre is without exception. I've always loved the story about Jane's life...her struggle in living with the aunt's family especially the cruel Mr. Reed. I love how our Ms. Eyre tries her best to resist from Mr. Rochester. I also love her dignity...as a woman she is able to reject Mr. Rochester's request to elope when the real wife appears.

I come to a realisation when I read this manga. I realise that not so many classic stories may be "digestible" for the readers. Some are hard to read in the original version. However, this manga-style for classic literature helps those readers to understand several aspects in the novel. In addition, this manga-style is also beneficial for those who have dyslexia. It is fun and entertaining as well.

*I received an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review*
I honestly didn't enjoy this book. I think others may enjoy it but it wasn't my cup of tea. The writing was fun.
This was even better than the original novel, the format is so easy to read and understand you never lose concentration and can read the whole manga in one sitting. The drawings were super cute and pretty they totally gave a new feeling to the novel.
Another great manga classic , great art and well adapted. These are a great read. A wonderful introduction to manga and the classics
This was another great manga adaption! The art style was just georgeous and the plot was good, too. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Wow, this was the best of the Manga classics so far. I adore of the story of Jane Eyre and her love for Mr Rochester. Once again the writing style was amazing and loyal to the original novel. The art style was gorgeous. I highly recommend this manga if you love Jane Eyre and classics. This series of books keeps getting better and better.
I'd love to thank NetGalley and the publisher for auto-approving me and this book.

I have never read the "Jane Eyre" classic, shame me. I felt intimated by its length, and I'm not really a classic reader, anyway; although I am really curious about some of them. And "Jane Eyre" is one of them.

So when I had the chance to read this manga last year, I took advantage of it. Shamefully, I started reading it at the end of this year. But fortunately, I finished it and loved it so much! So I decided to read the actual book in 2019.

This is the first time I'm reading a manga book (and now I understood what is the difference between a manga and an actual graphic novel), and it was easy and enjoyable.

I really loved Jane and I kind of resonated with her in some aspects. Not to mention that I shipped her with Mr. Rochester since the very beginning of their meeting. I know that some people couldn't stand his weird-at-times behavior, but I understood him and I really liked his character a lot!
I also liked Helen. She was such a pure, God-loving soul. She was an amazing side character.
I kind of disliked St. John, although he was a good man. I could really felt was Jane was feeling towards him.

This book gave me so many emotions! It was like a roller-coaster of feelings. Not to mention that the drawings are stunning, even though they are colorless.
This book receives 5 stars out of 5, and I repeat, I can't wait to read the classic! I recommend it to everyone.
Jane Eyre é incrível de qualquer maneira, mas em mangá se superou. Fiquei ainda mais apaixonada pela história da pobre orfã e o Sr Rochester.
I really loved the art style for this!! These mangas are some of my faves. A new way to present this awesome classic!
This is my third time now reading a Manga Classics book, and they never disappoint!

The art was really good and I felt like the author adapted the novel in a way that I found it really easy to understand the plot and the dialogue. Unlike the previous two manga classics I've read, I'm not as familiar with Jane Eyre (and have never read it) but I feel like I read a whole story even if there were much less words.

I always like the behind-the-scenes explanations at the end of the book, as I love to discover the process involved as well as more about the original novel and the author. I also felt that the manga did a good job in feeling like it was set in the 1800s, both through the art and dialogue and I appreciate that the writer kept the same first person perspective.

I loved the characters and am even more interested in picking up the original classic now!

Every time I pick up a manga classic, I say the same thing. But I'll say it again: they're a really good way to read and enjoy a classic, whether you're looking for a new interpretation or hesitant to read the original novel.

I would really recommend this manga and the Manga Classics line in general as I feel they're fun to read and very accessible no matter what kind of reader you are.
I think these classics being turned into manga are a great idea. Some of the classics are hard to get into but with manga editions they are much more enjoyable. I remember being age 13-14 and having a hard time getting into books. Especially the classics but I loved manga. I would fly through them the same way I do 400+ page novels now.
 When I started reading this edition of Jane Eyre I instantly fell in love with the art. It was really interesting to see the time period with the story in manga form. The artist put a lot of expression into the pages to convey the story and angst that flows from the classic novel. It’s a perfect book for a reader who loves classics and also loves manga. I would definitely buy this for a friend.
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review through netgalley.