Manga Classics: Jane Eyre

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Charlotte Bronte's "Jane Eyre" in manga form is interesting. These manga classics are interesting with some well done art. I definitely like these.
I love everything Jane Eyre. It is my absolute favorite book besides the Iliad/Odyssey. When I saw that there was a different format of it, I had to give it a try. I have never really read much Manga, but this book had a certain charm to it. I believe this would be a great tool for getting the younger generation to enjoy the classics more. The illustrations were beautiful, and it follows the basic theme of the original Bronte novel.
Jane Eyre is one of my favourite books- I must have read and re-read it at least twenty times. Therefore, I was very excited to see this manga version of Charlotte Bronte’s novel.
The artwork is simply gorgeous. I loved the way dramatic images substitute lengthy descriptions adding to the pace of the story. The adaptation is faithful to the original and very easy to follow, making it a quick and enjoyable read. There are cliff-hangers at the end of each chapter, which foreshadow upcoming events.
I felt it was a great way to introduce new readers to the old classic, esp. those who feel daunted by reading a lengthy Victorian novel. They will discover amazing characters (my favourite are Helen and Miss Temple) and an engaging love story between Jane and Mr Rochester, two kindred spirits.
Thank you to NetGalley and Udon Entertainment& Morpheus Studios for the ARC provided in exchange for an honest opinion.
Jane Eyre is part of the Manga Classics series adapted from the original work by Charlotte Bronte. I absolutely loved this manga. It kept very true to the original text and the illustrations were amazing. This is a definitely 5 star for me and would absolutely recommend it to anyone who loves classics, manga or just a great love story.
I feel very excited about a manga version of this classic. The downside of a netgalley copy is the black and white pictures because in colour the art is stunning. I saw a sample, and wow. Still, the faces are very life-like and expressive.

Many misfortunes have befallen orphan jane as she is mistreated at her aunt's household. Her passionate temper is always in stark contrast with her aloof and unloving aunt who disliskes her and poisons even her only means of escape, a school.

Many an adaptation has been made for TV of this 19th century English novel, but this one paints a very detailed portrait of Jane's stay at the school for orphaned girls. It shows lessons learned by her in how to conduct her nature and expectations which is something usually lost on screen where they prefer to insist on the squalor and cruelty instead of her evolution as a person.

I like the art because the pages are fully used with no wasted space, the buildings look grand and every character is beautifully rendered.

Every little corner in every page is filled to the brim with art. It has to be as the novel by Charlotte Brontë has a lot to convey. There is romance, tempered by social class and moral compass, a teasing and dramatic one as any forbidden love could entail. Not only class difference would make this relationship null in the eyes of society, but the age gap and the lack of outer beauty play a part too. Both characters have been denied love, so the despair is potent to see. Mr. Rochester is somewhat a rake because he was lost in his way to finding true love.

However, the pervading theme is independence of will, the right to choose for oneself despite social mandates.

Jane Eyre represents all this with her quiet intellect and fiery nature that strives to speak and act according to the truth. I think her spirit and strength are well portrayed in this very comprehensive adaptation. I enjoyed it very much.
I have said this about all the other books in this collection is that it's not a word for word at all, but more like a summery. Not totally of course, but enough to leave out some little details. These Manga classics are great again since people learn differently. I think this is a great way to get the younger generation to read and know about classic books.
Thank you Udon Entertainment and Netgalley for providing me with a review copy of this graphic novel in exchange for my honest opinion.

It was so great to see two of my favorite things come together. I love reading manga and graphic novels. Jane Eyre is always my go to as far as classic novels goes. This was such refreshing experience and I would definitely recommend this to readers who enjoy graphic novels and want to get into classics but don't have the time (or the patience to be entirely honest. Some of them can be a trial to read in themselves) to read them that most classics  take.

The illustrations were great and I love that I really feel like the art really sticks to the description of the original. The best part is that, I breezed through this and did not feel like I missed anything from the original to the adaptation. It helps so much to have the images and it drastically cut down a lot of the detailed description that can make even the best of classic novels difficult to get through.

I highly recommend giving this a shot if you've never read the original and don't have the time it takes to fully dedicate to the book and also for lovers of the original that also enjoy graphic novels.
jane eyre is already my favorite book and i LOVED this version as well!! Going to need to own this book!!
Manga Classics created a gorgeously-drawn adaptation that highlights the romance of the story. I have wanted to watch and read Jane Eyre many times, but the TV and movie adaptations have been far too dreary. While I appreciate that this was a part of the original story, I tend to prefer lighter, more romantic British dramas such as Jane Austen's. I'm so happy that I could finally enjoy Jane Eyre through this beautiful Manga Classics version.

While I haven't read the original work, the writer who adapted the story mentioned how she made some minor changes. She created cliffhangers at the end of the chapters, which I really appreciated and found very effective. Without them, a work of this length could've had pacing issues, and I'm so glad they put them in to keep readers hooked.

The quality of the artwork was impressive. I read a lot of manga (especially shoujo), and the art was absolutely gorgeous. There was great attention to detail in the costumes, hairstyles, and settings. All of this created a greater sense of immersion, and made the world feel sumptuous and romantic, even during the darker moments.  The panels were consistently good as well; I didn't see any artwork that felt rushed (as can occasionally happen with some of the weekly manga series - but not here). It was beautiful, and very readable.

I would absolutely recommend this adaptation to anyone interested in reading a classic romance. Manga Classics makes it easy to enjoy even if you aren't familiar with manga - they even have a quick, cute "reading guide" to help readers new to the back-to-front format.

Thank you to Netgalley and Udon for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.
The art added to these classic books is just fantastic. I love the covers and I love reading through the books with the new art.
Reading this reminded me of all the problems I had with the original story... But as this isn't a review of the original story I won't get into all that now.

This manga edition more than does the original story justice, managing to tell such a detailed story without feeling rushed or leaving large holes in the narrative. I feel like even if you weren't familiar with the original tale you would be able to read this and get all of (or at least most of) the tale without trouble.

The story is drawn well, the panels easy to follow and read. Obviously since it's traditional manga and told right to left it might take some getting used to for someone new to the format but the layout of this book is relatively easy to follow and even a newbie could pick it up with ease.

It was a quicker read than I expected (in a good way; I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly I was drawn in and the ease with which the pages flew by) and I found myself quite enraptured with the tale and the telling of it.

As mentioned, I have issues with the story itself but found it much more enjoyable in this format. I would definitely reread this edition and recommend it both to those seeking to acquaint themselves with Bronte's story for the first time as well as those already familiar with (and in love with) the tale. Solid five stars from me.

(I received a free copy of this from the publisher in exchange for an honest review)

"Jane Eyre" is my favourite classic. I love the story, the characters and the important messages it sends. So, when I bumped into this manga I was really curious to see how they converted this novel into a graphic one. I have to admit it, I'm really impressed. Everything was true to the story and the lovely illustrations give an additional power to it. Seeing Jane and Rochester while reading their story was really amazing!
This adaptation is a very fresh and new way to discover or re-discover Charlotte Brontë's novel.
A unique approach to a classic tale, it was delightful to read and see the characters act out the exaggerated expression one often associates with manga.

I'd love to read all classics this way. It is also a wonderful way to introduce classics to new readers.
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I had so many of these manga classics to read and review and it did not feel like a chore at all. I love this type of storytelling, and I've tried before to read the actual Bronte sisters works but I would quickly lose interest. This format is perfect for students or people just wanting to enjoy classics without all the pressure that goes with them.
This was such a fun and quick read. I remember reading the original book and it felt like it took forever. This I finished in just a few hours. It was a great adaptation and the illustrations were really good. Definitely, recommend.!
The illustrations are beautiful and the adaption stays faithful to the classic! This is perfect for those who have a bit of trouble in getting though the original text; I feel they will be more motivated to read the original. It's also good for readers who are just starting to venture into the classics. And those who need a little bit of help visualizing certain parts in the novel won't be disappointed either.
TW: child neglect, abuse, slurs, suicide mention

Disclaimer: I haven't read the original book so have no way of comparing the two.

I've wanted to read any Brontë Sister book for YEARS now and look at that, I finally have! Now I can be protentios about it if I want.

Like I said before, I haven't read the original so I don't know how it compares to the Manga adaptation. I loved the art, I love the way SunNeko Lee draws her art. And I truly appreciate the work Crystal S Chan has put into adapting the book for the Manga version.

Okay, to the story. For me personally, Jane Eyre was okay. It wasn't a life changing experience reading it, but I got through it. I don't know if it's a book I would enjoy in any setting, but it has its people.

Jane is young and hasn't experienced much love so her version of a good man is a bit wonky and NGL, Mr Rochester seemed rather dodgy to me at first. I don't fault Jane for her choices in men, she's had an awful life and this is the first guy she's been in love with, so yah know, she's on for the long haul. Then there's the priest who wants to marry her for his work and he's also just a no. Maybe if Jane had met another guy when she was a little older, her feeling for Rochester would change. Who knows. But this is romance and I guess she had to end up with the man she first fell in love with.

I'm not going to lie, in regards to the actual story, I just didn't feel much. Maybe the original book will do, I don't know. But yeah. The art and adaptation are excellent, but the storyline itself seemed a bit drab to me.
I have enjoyed most of the titles from this set of re-imagined classics in manga form and this title has to be one of my favorites. The pacing is done very well, the art is beautiful, and the story is easy to follow even for those who have not read the original. I think this is great for readers who may not enjoy reading, or those who struggle to understand classic novels.
This manga adaptation of one of the most classic romance stories not only holds up well; it offers a new lens through which to view this beloved book and its complex characters. It has always been hard for me to view Rochester as anything besides dour and problematic, except during his most heartfelt romantic speeches. This manga beautifully demonstrates the whole of Rochester, not merely in those moments, but throughout. Longtime Brontë fans and those new to Jane Eyre alike will love this solid new adaptation.
This was my first time ever reading Jane Eyre. And I really enjoyed it. The drawings was so beautiful and I really enjoyed the storyline. I loved that Jane was so Independent and didn’t take crap from no one.

“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an Independent will” - Jane Eyre.