Unplugged and Unpopular

Pub Date 15 Oct 2019 | Archive Date 25 Sep 2019

Talking about this book? Use #UnpluggedAndUnpopular #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

After Erin Song's parents ban her from using her phone, TV, Internet, and all her screens, she soon discovers mysterious, strange creatures and must foil their plot to take over Earth in this hilarious sci-fi graphic novel for tweens.

Erin Song lives in a digital world. Everyone has a phone, a tablet, a computer—more screens than you can count. Even with a world of information at her fingertips, Erin can’t figure out the secret to popularity at her clique-y junior high school. So when uber-popular Wendy asks for help cheating on a test, Erin jumps at the opportunity. This could be her big break! Unfortunately, she gets caught, and her parents ban her from all her devices. Suddenly, Erin Song is the only girl in the world who’s not allowed to look at a screen.

And that’s when Erin notices something funny: small, furry aliens making humans disappear with a weird device Erin’s never seen before. No one else notices them, though—except Erin’s grandmother and two old men who run the local library. They’ve discovered that the aliens are using screens to control the human race, tricking them into thinking they aren’t really there—and that anyone who’s been abducted never existed.

Now it’s up to Erin and her grandmother to save the day! But without technology on their side, do they stand a chance?

ISBN 9781620106808
PRICE CA$25.99 (CAD)

I loved this comic. We follow Erin, a young girl who’s only dream is to be popular. After trying her hardest to impress the most popular girl in school, she ends up getting sent to detention and a phone call home. To punish her for her bad behaviour, Erin’s parents confiscate her phone/computer/Tv for a whole month. Not knowing what to do with herself now she doesn’t have ‘instagram’ to entertain her, Erin wonders down to the library only to discover there is an alien invasion going on. But, only those who don’t use technology can see it. Can Erin save the day? I loved this short and sweet comic. It was colourful, funny and had a deep message behind the story. Everyone uses mobile phones now and it makes you realise how much we could be missing out on. I also enjoyed the fact that Erin tries hard to fit in but at the end of the book realises she doesn’t need to fit in to be cool. She is who she is. A beautifully written comic for young-middle aged children

My 11 yr old read this book and she loved it! She loved how the plot was something she could relate to and the illustrations were really good with great blending. The characters were uniquely drawn.

This is awesome. The art went perfectly with the story, and I liked the message that said you should sometimes put down your phone and listen to people.