A Short History of Philosophy

From Ancient Greece to the Post-Modernist Era

Pub Date 01 Jun 2020 | Archive Date 14 Jun 2020

The world's great philosophers have always wrestled with the crucial questions about human nature and the world we live in: How should we live our lives? What is knowledge? How should society be organized? Over the centuries, philosophers have come up with an array of compelling answers to these questions.

A Short History of Philosophy takes you on an entertaining and informative journey through the landscape of western philosophy from Plato to Jean-Paul Sartre. Whether discussing the origins of metaphysics, the merits of idealism, or the questions raised by existentialism, Peter Gibson brings to life the ideas of these great thinkers and carefully explains their reasoning in straightforward, easy-to-understand language.

This lively, accessible guide provides the perfect starting point for anyone interested in philosophy.

Peter Gibson first studied English Literature at University but now has three degrees in Philosophy, including a Ph.D from Birkbeck College, University of London. He is the founder of the website philosophyideas.com which catalogues philosophical ideas from across the centuries and he strongly believes that a wider knowledge of philosophy will improve the world.

EDITION Ebook