By the Light of Fireflies

A Novel of War Hero Sybil Ludington

Pub Date 02 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 30 Nov 2021

Talking about this book? Use #BytheLightofFireflies #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Sybil Ludington believes in the legend of fireflies—they appear when you need them most. But it's not until her family is thrust into the dangers of the Revolutionary War, and into George Washington's spy ring, that Sybil fully experiences firefly magic for herself—guiding her through the darkness, empowering her to figure out who she's supposed to be and how strong she really is—as she delivers her imperative message and warns against a British attack.

By the Light of Fireflies is the captivating tale of a young girl's journey as a daughter, a sister, a friend, a spy, and eventually a war hero, completing a midnight ride that cements her place in history as the "female Paul Revere."

Recommended for grades 3-7

A Note From the Publisher

Available in trade paperback (ISBN: 978-1-954332-13-3), library hardcover (ISBN: 978-1-954332-12-6), and ebook. The author will be virtually visiting schools in the fall of 2021. For more information and to schedule a visit for your school, please reach out to Jenni directly at jenni@jennilwalsh.com.

Advance Praise

"Middle grade fiction readers will find By the Light of the Fireflies a fine historical novel based on the life of Colonial girl Sybil Ludington, following Sybil and her family's struggle during the Revolutionary War...As Sybil steps into a role she'd never envisioned, young readers receive an action-packed story that captures the environment and atmosphere of the times...Jenni L. Walsh is especially adept at capturing Sybil's first-person observations and emotions...These drive a story line that personalizes the history in a manner that makes it understandable, realistic, and quite accessible...Middle grade readers who normally eschew fact-laden historical fiction will find the emotional driving force particularly strong in By the Light of the Fireflies. This approach strengthens the compelling story of a young girl's trials, which forces her into the unexpected role of becoming a female war hero in times where girls and women normally are staid." - Midwest Book Review

"By the Light of Fireflies adds a unique female perspective to a time in our country's history that has been dominated by male voices. Jenni L. Walsh spins an engaging tale, artfully mixing historical fact with fiction that keeps the reader riveted from the first word to the last." - Misty Miller, 5th Grade teacher, Texas Virtual Academy Hallsville

"A historical gem, readers will enjoy learning about Revolutionary War heroine Sybil Ludington and her Patriotic ride. Just like Sybil Ludington sometimes we face a difficult journey which unlocks the courage, determination, and power that lives inside all of us. I can't wait to share this book with my fifth grade readers and writers." - Ginette Garrity, 5th Grade ELA Teacher, Byram Intermediate School

Full Publishers Weekly review, selected as an Editor's Pick ⚡️:

Walsh (I Am Defiance) again brings a powerful woman from history to life with this middle-grade adventure featuring 16-year-old Revolutionary War hero Sybil Ludington. Based on true events, By the Light of Fireflies takes on George Washington’s inner spy ring in the heat of the battle between Patriots and Loyalists, spotlighting the role that young Sybil played during an all night, 40-mile ride through colonists’ territory to muster the militia against an impending British attack. In Walsh’s spirited depiction, Sybil is a courageous, quick-thinking Patriot who dreams of growing up to be something more than a farmer’s wife–and realizes that ambition is within her reach through the fight to advance the revolutionary cause.

Sybil’s father, Henry Ludington, is a Loyalist captain in name only and spends his free time helping Patriots spy on the British. When pressures mount, he enlists Sybil and her sister, Rebecca, to help decipher code written with invisible ink on letters bearing crucial information about the British army, its troops, and their planned maneuvers. This opportunity is a dream come true for Sybil, who idolizes Paul Revere and hopes for her own chance to prove her mettle–a chance that emerges when she gets asked to ride all night in a terrifying crusade to save her family and her country. “I didn’t realize it was weird for me to want to be brave or daring or courageous like a man was,” she memorably declares.

Walsh’s easy, flowing prose breathes life into colonial America. Readers will find themselves in the thick of the Revolutionary War as well as eighteenth-century living: Walsh uses period appropriate language (“Mama shook her head bigly”) and detail, such as a family strategy game of “Nine Man’s Morrice in the parlor,” to capture the feeling of the past, and her handling of the long ride is crisp and suspenseful. History-minded young readers will be roused by this stouthearted protagonist’s unflinching dedication.

Takeaway: Middle-grade historical fiction fans will be swept up in the bravery of one young woman’s fight to save her country against a British attack.

Marketing Plan

Early Galley...

EDITION Paperback
ISBN 9781954332133
PRICE 11.99

Middle grade readers will love this story! Based on a real life heroine who out rode Paul Revere. It’s a story set during the Revolutionary War about friendship, family, spies, sisters, courage, horses and a touch of magic in the form of fireflies.

A historical gem, readers will enjoy learning about Revolutionary War heroine Sybil Ludington and her Patriotic ride. Just like Sybil Ludington, sometimes we face a difficult journey that unlocks the courage, determination, and power that lives inside all of us. I cannot wait to share this book with my fifth-grade readers and writers.

There are so many people and events in our history that remain hidden. While I understand that this book is historical fiction, the main character was someone documented as not only being alive during this time but instrumental in the way she is depicted in the book. Women, in this case, a young child, often find themselves under-documented in history. I love that this story has the ability to spur excitement and curiosity to dig further into the untold stories of our past. CAWPILE: 9.43

Jenni Walsh has a way of breathing life into strong women in history and this was right on target. I was immediately sucked into this story with our main character Sybil Ludington. I adored her relationship with Johny Whittaker and how she called him by his full name, and the way she loved her horse Star, and even the evolving relationship with her sister Rebecca, her co-spy. This is a delightful and easy read, giving young readers a peek into history, all with a touch of magic in the enchantment of fireflies. Also that cover--swoon!

Young Sybil Ludington loves being a spy. Her father pulls her into this adventure during the early days of the American Revolution. After learning how to decode secret messages, Sybil, with the help of her horse, Star, and the fireflies, becomes an invaluable rider protecting the New York countryside. Told in a first person voice, this delightful tale of a female heroine is an exciting and adventurous tale for children, which imparts important Revolutionary War history. Highly recommended for teachers and students learning about this time period in school!

Listen, my readers, and you shall hear of the midnight ride of..... Sybil Ludington? The tale of the often unknown hero of the Revolution, By the Light of Fireflies weaves history and a touch of magic to bring middle grade readers the story of Sybil and her own nighttime ride to change the tide of the war. Sybil was only sixteen when she made her own incredible journey, typically overshadowed by Paul Revere's famous ride thanks to the poem. Sybil's ride was a tremendous feat not only for a teenage girl at that time but also for the difficulties she faced. Walsh weaves a beautifully written tale of Sybil and her family through the war. Her father is involved with General Washington and his spies, trying to defeat the British. This puts the family at risk from the Redcoats and there are several close calls that made me hold the book with white knuckles. Sybil is a role model for young girls who dare to dream big and wish to make a difference in the world that so often holds them back. The book, told from Sybil's perspective, is detailed and full of insights into Sybil's home life and her thoughts as her family navigates a world torn apart by war and the fight for freedom. Sybil's father tells her the legend that fireflies are magic. Sybil calls upon them during the story to help her in times of need. Then her father needs her to take a twenty to forty mile ride in the rain in the middle of the night to alert the militia to Redcoat activities and prepare for battle. She calls upon the strength of the fireflies and her horse Star to help her complete the overwhelming challenge. Will the fireflies answer her call? Walsh's tale sets the scene, drawing the reader into the time of the Revolution with period appropriate language and beautiful scenes and descriptions of Sybil's life. The scenes of her ride are full of action and suspense making for a gripping read about a fascinating figure in history. Readers are sure to fall in love with this book.

What an adventure! Sybil’s journey is worth reading! You are going to love her! I can’t wait to see what Jenni digs up from history next!!

This book is going to be a big hit! Tells the little-known story of Sybil Ludington in a personal, engaging way. Perfect for 3rd-5th grade readers, especially those who shy away from lengthier books. Jenni Walsh tells the story masterfully!

Wow, what a suspenseful, adventure this book was! Sybil’s dad talks about the magic of fireflies, and Sybil finds fireflies helping her out when she least expected to see them, in her need to help her family during the Revolutionary War. Sybil becomes a heroine in many ways, and George Washington even thanks her for her heroism as a messenger for the Continental Army. This will make a great read aloud. Such a great book!

Both the title and the illustration of the cover intrigued me. I always like trying to predict why a book is its particular title and how it relates to the story. This story did not disappoint. The fireflies play a very important role in the development of this story. Sybil aches for adventure. She feels held back by her age. This will resonate with younger readers. Sybil is invited by her father to help in the revolutionary cause for freedom. The story moved with ease, kept my interest and became so intense that I could not stop reading! I will purchase this novel for my 4th grade daughter, as well as using it in my own classroom. Brilliant retelling of Sybil’s story. I promise that you will stand up and cheer Sybil on throughout her nighttime adventure and gasp at the twists and turns in this story.

This book in 3 words, ‘inspirational’, ‘magical’ and ‘powerful’! The author wrote the book in such a heartfelt way, describing each detail that you can see and feel it, the way she describes the terror, it’s as if you are there around 250 years ago, reliving what the war hero Sybil Ludington might have lived on the famous night in which she saved the day ( or night xD). The magical part has to be how the fireflies guide her, how Sybil believes in them is so touching!!! And the book in itself which follows Sybil’s story is so inspirational, it shows that even in the 18th century when there were so close minded people, Girl Power still existed and girls are just as powerful (if not more as boys). Like I am still speechless at how the author has described the story so well!!!! My rating definitely 5 out of 5!!

This is the story of Sybil Ludington and her involvement with her father and sister in a spy ring during the American Revolution. Her father was a loyalist turned patriot who led a spy ring for George Washington. With the help of Sybil and her sister, Rebecca, they decoded secret messages to help win the war. Sybil looked up to Paul Revere for his midnight ride and then became in a position where she had to do the same thing. Great read for 4th grade and up and those studying the American Revolution.

I love historical fiction, especially stories set during the revolution, and this book captured my heart from the first page. Jenni Walsh did an amazing job of sharing the story of a young heroine. Walsh also seamlessly wove the magic of fireflies throughout. The story of Sybil Ludington is one to remember. A great addition to any classroom unit on the Revolutionary War.