True Crime Story

A Novel

Pub Date 07 Dec 2021 | Archive Date 31 Dec 2021
SOURCEBOOKS Landmark, Sourcebooks Landmark

THE #1 INTERNATIONAL BESTSELLER!

What happens to all the girls who go missing?

The thrilling story of a university student's sudden disappearance, the woman who became obsessed with her case, and the crime writer who uncovered the chilling truth about what happened...

In 2011, Zoe Nolan walked out of her dormitory in Manchester and was never seen or heard from again. Her case went cold. Her story was sad, certainly, but hardly sensational, crime writer Joseph Knox thought. He wouldn't have given her any more thought were it not for his friend, Evelyn Mitchell. Another writer struggling to come up with a new idea, Evelyn was wondering just what happened to all the girls who go missing. What happened to the Zoe Nolan's of the world?

Evelyn began investigating herself, interviewing Zoe's family and friends, and emailing Joseph with chapters of the book she was writing with her findings. Uneasy with the corkscrew twists and turns, Joseph Knox embedded himself in the case, ultimately discovering a truth more tragic and shocking than he could have possibly imagined...

Just remember: Everything you read is fiction.

THE #1 INTERNATIONAL BESTSELLER!

What happens to all the girls who go missing?

Joseph Knox is always a must read for me. one of the most interesting and original voice in the thriller genre in the recent years, a genre that unfortunately often lack originality. This book is his best so far, young writer, will continue improving I'm sure, great great characters, strong story, awesome writing. I highly recommend reading this book and this author in general!

True Crime Story is a clever, fictional whodunnit written as if it is a true crime story. Made up of transcripts of interviews, readers will have to remind themselves that the story of the missing Zoe Nolan is, in fact, made-up! Joseph Knox's writing is fantastic and will draw readers into this addictive plot that will keep readers guessing. Filled with several suspects and plenty of twists, the story will have you hooked! Highly recommended!

Taking a page from Daisy Jones and the Six, a rockumentary about a made-up rock band, Knox’s latest novel, True Crime Story, uses the documentary journalism style to report about a missing college girl. If you pick this up expecting something like the fourth Aiden Watts gritty police novel, be prepared for something completely different, a burst of creative energy in a totally different direction. The story is still dark and deadly and still takes place in Manchester, England, but that’s where the resemblance ends. Here, the story is told in a series of short, punchy interview excerpts from the survivors of Zoe’s disappearance, including that of Kimberley, her twin sister and flatmate, her ex boyfriend Andrew Flowers, her other flatmates, her parents, the investigating detective, and other hangers-on. As you hear them talk to the erstwhile interviewer, Evelyn, who also exchanges emails with our author, Joseph Knox, the reader isn’t explicitly told whether it’s fact or fiction or whether this is yet another well-publicized case of a missing girl. All the principals in the story are at each other’s throats, blaming each other, and the internet is outing these people too. As the story goes on, we are heading done different directions, chasing one red herring after another from the creepy professor who dates and dumps his students to the creepy father who favors Zoe over Kim, to the jealous less-well-known twin sister, to the missing underwear, to the exposed sex tape, to the sinister shadow, to the white van that kidnapped Kim. At first, it seems like a sordid nasty soap opera that Zoe left behind, but eventually every minor detail becomes important. The interview technique of telling this story works well because all these small things are how people remember things and each person has a distinctly different perspective. All in all, well done.

I received a copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley. This was very good. I read it all in one sitting, and while it perhaps sagged a little in the middle, it really kept me guessing throughout. I wasn't quite sure of the value of the author inserting himself into the story, although it did add another layer of potential unreliability. The characters depicted in the 'extracts from transcripts' were clearly distinguishable from one another and I loved Lui Wai, who was in HR with 'at least seven' people below her. I gather this is very different from this author's other works, which I haven't read, but I recommend this one highly.

Such a fascinating book. This was really good and I had to keep reminding myself that it's fiction. Or is it? So well written and so compelling!

Aspiring writer Evelyn is writing a book investigating the unsolved disappearance of student Zoe Nolan some years before. She seeks feedback from her friend and mentor, published crime author Joseph Knox- and here is the twist. Knox is a real person and author of this (fictional) account of how she uncovers what happened to the missing girl. She interviews Zoe’s friends, parents and others involved with the case, but as she gets closer to the truth, it becomes apparent that she herself could be in great danger. I really enjoyed the unusual style of this novel, which uses transcripts of interviews to explain the events leading up Zoe walking out of a party at her student flat and never being seen again. The characters all have their own (different) interpretations of what was going on, and all have their own motivations and prejudices, and some are obviously more reliable than others. I was gripped and kept changing my mind about what had happened to Zoe and why as more pieces of the puzzle are revealed. The characters, although largely unlikeable, are convincing and layered, and the seamier side of student life and relationships is well portrayed. Underlying the narrative is a kind of sly humour, despite the often dark subject matter. It has a freshness and vitality that makes it stand out from others in the crime/psychological thriller genre. Recommended.

This book is completely engaging and full of twists and turns that slowly draw you in until you’re firmly clenched in the story’s grasp. It’s the type of book where you read a few chapters and then you look up and you’re suddenly sitting in a dark room with a gross, cold mug of tea sitting on the table in front of you because somehow hours past without you noticing. Told primarily in the format of interviews and emails between characters (think, a murdery ‘Daisy Jones & The Six’), this is a quick read. It was a bit slow to start, but I was drawn in just from the prologue to the point where I actually googled ‘Zoe Nolan missing’ because I wasn’t sure if she was just a character or if she was actually a real person who had been adapted into novel form.