Work It, Girl: Beyoncé Knowles

Rule the music scene like Queen

Pub Date 24 Aug 2021 | Archive Date 24 Aug 2021

Talking about this book? Use #WorkItGirlBeyoncéKnowles #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Discover how Beyoncé became a superstar singer and entrepreneur in this true story of her life. Then, learn 10 key lessons from her work.

When Beyoncé was a little girl, she was shy. But one dance class changed the course of her life when her teacher recognized her singing ability and star talent. After years of working hard, rehearsing, and practicing, Beyoncé hit the big time with Destiny's Child. The rest was history (and a lot more hard work).

Find out what makes Queen Bey tick, what inspires her, and what motivates her. Learn about her passion for activism–right up-to-date with her support for Black Lives Matter.

Work It, Girl is an empowering series of biographies featuring modern women in the world of work, from designers and musicians to CEOs and scientists. Each of these vibrantly illustrated books tells the story of a remarkable woman in 10 chapters that highlight transformative moments in her life, following the ups and downs that she faced on her road to success. At the end, 10 key lessons show what you can learn from these moments, and self-reflectionquestions help you apply these lessons to your own life.

Brightly colored photo illustrations of 3D cut paper artwork featuring inspiring quotes from these amazing women bring their stories to vivid life.

When Beyoncé was a little girl, she was shy. But one dance...

I'm so moved. Energised. Motivated all over again. I just needed another read on Beyoncé. It's all that mattered today. I love how concise yet accurate this little book is! The artstyle/illustrations are so unique. This little book showed how the diva entered into the world of entertainment and how she is as a person behind the screen. I have been a huge fan of her ever since I watched Destiny Child's Independent Women. And yes, she's always someone I will always look for whenever I want to see a strong, independent woman. Love this book so much! Thank you, authors and the publisher, for the advance reading copy.

Work It, Girl: Beyoncé Knowles illustrates a colorful and educational Beyoncé biography that's accessible and appropriate for young children; I would say this book can be for most kids 8 and above. I came across this book with no background on the other biographies in the Work It, Girl series by Caroline Moss, so the book exceeding my expectations was a pleasant surprise. Disclaimer: This review is coming from an adult who has heard of Beyoncé and has heard the bangers she releases. And I will continue to do so. Also, I don't have children, but I am the older brother of a five-year-old, so I am perceptive to some of the media children consume. I want to start by acknowledging how interactive this book is. Not in the literal sense, but in the sense that makes its readers reflect on their struggles, personalities, etc. It creates a learning experience for readers of all ages! There is a portion in the book where the audience is asked what they would do in various scenarios, etc. I think that is integral when it comes to people learning to set goals for themselves. I believe goal-setting is a valuable skill and young people should be encouraged to do it more. I also appreciate that this book is very encouraging of people no matter the choices they make, whether it's investing in a talent, or simply enjoying a social life. Lastly, I would like to discuss Sinem Erkas' artwork. I love her minimalist art style and how it's so consistent throughout. Ekras also does a great job illustrating Beyoncé throughout the different stages in her career. On top of that, Moss tells a great introductory into the life of Beyoncé Knowles, suitable for mid to late elementary school kids and above. I want to thank Quarto Publishing Group and NetGalley for this ARC!

Rule the Music Scene Like Queen Beyoncé Knowles is the sixth book in the Work It, Girl series by Caroline Moss and illustrated by Sinem Erkas. The series is an empowering series of biographies featuring modern women. This new installment is told in 10 chapters highlighting important moments in Beyoncé's life, her work ethic, activism and road to success. There are 10 key lessons at the end to self-reflect and help apply to a reader's own life. Unlike Bey's many projects, it is no secret that I am a proud card-carrying-tour-savings-account-listen-on-demand member of the BeyHive. So I jumped at the opportunity to read and review this advance copy of the newest Work It, Girl book. Did I care that it was children's? Not one bit. In fact, I was more likely to read it as a potential summer bookclub choice for my niece. (Because like any Rich Auntie, we have dance parties to Queen Bey's music and know the choreography to a tee!) I am so sharing this new children's book with my niece and recommending for all young Bookhearts. I plan to read a couple of the other books in the Work It, Girl series (featuring Mae Jemison, Michelle Obama, J.K. Rowling, Oprah and Ellen). I'm also adding the published print version to my personal library since it has bright illustrations of 3D cut paper artwork of inspiring quotes. So well done! ~LiteraryMarie

This book is really inspiring, being a fan of Beyoncé for a really long time, I was so happy to get this book and to learn more about her! it goes in depth about her family and first times at music and makes me feel like I really know her in real life. The word choice and pictures are absolutely splendid and I 100% recommend this to anyone else who loves informative picture/written biographies!

Work It, Girl is an excellent biography for young chapter book readers. It tells the story of Beyonce beginning when she was a shy child. Beyonce’s parents accepted her personality but hoped to bring her out of herself a bit, so suggested a dance class. In many ways, the rest is history! With her family’s support Beyonce kept moving forward. One thing that I very much like in this book is its emphasis on how hard Beyonce worked and what she gave up to achieve her early goals. When others in her school were dating or playing sports, she and her group members practiced and focused on school work with no time for anything else. This message is helpful for young readers who may think that Beyonce’s success was easy or automatic. It was not. Readers follow Beyonce from her first girl band, through Destiny’s Child and on to her solo career. Beyonce continued to work hard and have big dreams. She also had a personal life and some of the book is devoted to this as well as Jay Z and Beyonce’s desire to become parents. In addition, readers watch Beyonce as she becomes active with Black Lives Matter. The biography is illustrated with collage like pictures. There are also some photographs. The end of the book includes extras like a maze, a section titled “Rule the music scene like Beyonce” and more. There is so much to Beyonce’s story. Readers will realize this. This book would make a great choice for a biography book report as it is a good read and about a popular current figure. Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher. All opinions are my own.

I will be purchasing a hardcopy of this for my daughter and my senior English classroom. It's a beautiful book and tells a great story of an icon. It is interactive and self-reflexive. Love it.

I received an advance reader copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers. Work It girl: Beyonce Knowles, is the first book in this amazing series that I've had the pleasure of reading so far, and it won't be the last! Beyonce has always been a huge inspiration to me growing up - her work ethic, inspiration, style and music - much of who's songs have got me through some challenging times in my life. This book is amazing, it is a great way to inspire and motivate the future generations of today! Not only does the book tell Beyonces story from being a shy child to pop icon, but it lists her achievements, struggles, highs and lows. Told over 10 chapters with beautiful illustrations, this book is definitely the book all children need to read today!

I loved everything about this book. The illustrations are incredibly creative and inspired my daughter to try to do some of her own art in a similar fashion. Beyoncè's story is told in small enough pieces to hold the attention of younger children. This book is a winner for all children and would make a great gift. The publisher made a copy of this book available for review via Netgalley. This is my honest review.

This is such a beautifully illustrated book with an inspiring story! I definitely think that kids of all ages will relate to Beyoncé's story and will be able to envision a future for themselves fulfilling their dreams! I did not know all these details about Beyoncé before reading this book and walked away with even greater respect for her.

When we listen to a Beyoncé song, or every time we see her on stage completely devoted to her audience, no one thinks about how she went from being a shy girl who doesn't like to be the center of attention to becoming an icon, a woman admired and respected wherever she goes. But she was not always like that. As a child, her shyness kept her away from everyone. Her fear of what others would think of her outweighed her desire to participate in activities with other children. This situation worried her parents a lot, who believed that their daughter would miss out on many things if she was not able to overcome her shyness. In search of solutions, one day they suggested that she attend dance classes. For Beyoncé this was a difficult decision. Sure, she liked to dance and sing but in the privacy of her bedroom. She didn't know if she would be able to do it in front of strangers. This was completely out of her comfort zone, but she still decided to give it a try. Since then, she has not stopped dancing and singing around the world and in front of millions of people. Her shyness was left behind and today she is a woman who makes herself heard, and not only when she sings, as she has taken her career several steps beyond music. She has shown us all that being a successful woman, wife, mother, and entrepreneur is possible. She is involved in everything she does and has never stopped working, learning and believing in herself. Work It, Girl: Beyoncé Knowles, gives a brief summary of Beyoncé's life so far. She talks about her beginnings, her concerns, her dreams. Of the things she believes in and how she has evolved not only professionally but also personally over the years. This is a children's book whose story inspires and encourages the younger generation to fight for their dreams and to believe in themselves even when no one else does. It is a true story that speaks of a real life of sacrifice and effort. It does not focus on the frivolous aspects or give misconceptions about what it is like to reach the pinnacle of success. I really liked both the way it is written and the illustrations that accompany it, so colorful, beautiful and that transmit the same joy and energy as the protagonist. A beautiful book both for its content and its format!