The Women of Rothschild

The Untold Story of the World's Most Famous Dynasty

Pub Date 25 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 09 Aug 2022

From the East End of London to the Eastern seaboard of the United States, from Spitalfields to Scottish castles, from Bletchley Park to Buchenwald, and from the Vatican to Palestine, Natalie Livingstone follows the extraordinary lives of the Rothschild women from the dawn of the nineteenth century to the early years of the twenty-first.

As Jews in a Christian society and women in a deeply patriarchal family, they were outsiders. Excluded from the family bank, they forged their own distinct dynasty of daughters and nieces, mothers and aunts. They became influential hostesses and talented diplomats, choreographing electoral campaigns, advising prime ministers, advocating for social reform, and trading on the stock exchange. Misfits and conformists, conservatives and idealists, performers and introverts, they mixed with everyone from Queen Victoria to Chaim Weizmann, Rossini to Isaiah Berlin, and the Duke of Wellington to Alec Guinness, as well as with amphetamine-dealers, suffragists and avant-garde artists. Rothschild women helped bring down ghetto walls in early nineteenth-century Frankfurt, inspired some of the most remarkable cultural movements of the Victorian period, and in the mid-twentieth century burst into America, where they patronized Thelonious Monk and drag-raced through Manhattan with Miles Davis.

From the East End of London to the...

The Women of Rothschild: The Untold Story of the World's Most Famous Dynasty by Natalie Livingstone is an in-depth look at the full lineage of the fascinating women of the Rothschild family.

This book is a full and all-encompassing look at all of the formidable, fascinating, and extensive list of women that have been part of this infamous family.

The author has clearly done her research and I am impressed and stunned by the amount of facts and material that she has presented. It at times was a bit mind-jumbling to try to keep all of it straight, but the author presents the material in appropriate and sensible ways to help the reader follow through.
Unfortunately with it not being available for kindle, I was unable to enlarge the lovely family tree images at the beginning, which is such a shame. It would have really added to the learning experience.

I enjoyed learning more about this family.

4/5 stars

Thank you NG and St. Martin’s Press for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.

I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts immediately upon publication on 7/26/22.

Publication date: August 9, 2022

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review an advanced reader's copy of this book. This in no way affects my review, all opinions are my own and may be affected by the fact that it is snowy, windy and cold outside and we are in lockdown version 5.0, and I have nothing better to do than read three or more books a day??.

Absorbing and compulsive, The Women of Rothschild gives voice to the complicated, privileged, and gifted women whose vision and tenacity shaped history.In The Women of Rothschild, Natalie Livingstone reveals the role of women in shaping the legacy of the famous Rothschild dynasty, synonymous with wealth and power.

one of the funniest things I have seen recently was a scene from "Paris in Love" where they tricked her into thinking she was getting married in a field as "Nikki got married at Kensington Palace":. Well, Nikki was marrying a ROTHSCHILD!!! (And she was raised Catholic and is probably still a shiksa as it has never been revealed if she converted as she went as far as having her first marriage annulled.)

I ADORED Natalie's book "The Mistresses of Cliveden: Three Centuries of Scandal, Power and Intrigue in an English Stately Home" so I was utterly stoked to read this book as I expected and got great things. That (and Paris' field joke) aside, this was a fascinating look into the dynasty that was full of interesting and powerful women. This is not a feminist manifesto but a look into how these women made the family the dynasty it is. A perfect book for a lover of social history and a great book club pick if you are in search of an excellently written biography of a family that is still a force to be reckoned with in the financial and social world.

I received an e-ARC version of this book from NetGalley and the publisher.

“The Women of Rothschild” by Natalie Livingstone is a very detailed book about the women of the Rothschild family.

Ms. Livingstone has obviously done her research and it showed in this book. While at times the information was dense (and I felt fortunate to have read a book about the first Mrs. Rothschild previously, so I knew her story and the first generation children going in), I felt that Ms. Livingstone did the best that she could both explaining and presenting the information. This was not a quick read book as there’s a lot of information packed into this book - so do take your time when reading. It was refreshing to learn more about the women of the Rothschild family - as the males are well known, but these Rothschild women are important in their own ways to the dynasty. I do wish that this book had been available for Kindle, as I could’ve then more easily read the book itself and enlarged the family tree in the beginning of the book.

I enjoyed this look at these remarkedable women. And Jewish women at that. It' hard to believe they accomplished all they did in the time frame that they did.

I've heard people say, we had a Rothchild in the family--- I've wondered if there was one in my own.. A big family and interesting always to read about the women behind the men.. Thanks for the early read.

I enjoyed this nonfiction highlighting the women of the Rothschild dynasty. The historical research was interesting and well written for the reader to understand.

The Women of Rothschild is a fascinating history of women's lives during the 19th,and 20th centuries. What is especially interesting is their transformation from absolute poverty to great wealth. Their Judaism is always present and alive in their lives. However, Judaism in a Christian world is often a hinderance that curtails progress, but that does not stop these women. Author Natalie Livingstone has given the Rothschild women a great deal of credit for the family's transformation from poverty to wealth. Livingstone creates a novel that is rich in small and big stories. It is never boring and is always interesting. However, I think having a genealogical map handy would be wonderful. The problem with ebooks is the inability to flip back to the front pages to look at the family map. I found that anytime I had to put the book down, that I needed a few refresher moments to sort through the women. I thought this history was fascinating and obviously carefully researched. I appreciate that the publisher provided this ARC for me to read. Receiving ARC to read is always nice, but it never influences my review. And thank you to NetGalley for introducing me to so many wonderful new authors.

I loved this book. Natalie Livingstone tells great stories of the Rothschild women with lots of historical context. It is neither a paean nor a muckraking story. I feel that it is an objective look at these women, with their strengths and flaws. The book covers lots of ground so Livingstone doesn’t really linger over any particular stories. The writing is crisp and a pleasure to read. This book is well worth reading. Thank you to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for the advance reader copy.

Fascinating look at the Rothschild women through history.Strong women who contributed to their family their time in history.The author brought them alive I learned a lot about them.#netgalley #st.Martins

I learned a lot from this book and did not know a ton regarding the Rothschild women in any generation. History has mostly focused on ensuring the men's stories are passed down and prominently featured in books, and I was surprised at the rich details surrounding the women in the Rothschild dynasty. I enjoyed the detail and vivid descriptions of the narrative and the focus on women dating back several hundred years. I'm impressed at how much detail Natalie Livingstone was able to fit in the book and it's clear she did extensive research and preparation for the book.

I thought The Women of Rothschild: The Untold Story of the World's Most Famous Dynasty was an interesting read. I give it three stars.

This book is absolutely fascinating and I learned a lot from it. I didn’t know much about the Rothschilds at all before reading it and certainly nothing about the women of the family. The women may have been outsiders in some ways, being female in this patriarchal family and Jews in a predominately Christian society, but it mustn’t be overlooked that by and large they were incredibly privileged and that the wealth of their family gave them many opportunities.

As is often the case, history largely focusses on men with women getting an occasional mention as a wife, mother or daughter. Here Natalie Livingstone brings the women out from the shadows of their illustrious husbands and puts them at the forefront of her book. The women are so interesting and here are just a few of the stories which really caught my attention. I have to start of course with Gutle whose marriage to Mayer Amschel Rothschild in 1770 really begins the story. Their five sons founded the Rothschild dynasty but their daughters were never to inherit any of the family’s wealth directly. In the early 1800s, Hannah de Rothschild campaigned for Jewish liberty and emancipation. Her daughter, Hannah Mayer Rothschild, was proposed to by an Austrian prince, shocked the family by marrying outside the faith in 1839 and later suffered the tragic loss of a young son. That Hannah’s niece Constance (later Lady Battersea) was involved in campaigning for social reform and her 1922 memoir Reminiscences was very positively received, selling enough copies to earn Constance some royalties. I found Miriam Rothschild (b 1908) particularly fascinating. She was a renowned zoologist and heavily involved in the environmental issues. Highly intelligent, she was recruited to work as a translator at Bletchley Park during the Second World War. I hope I have got the relationships correct – there were a lot of Rothschild women to keep up with! Thank You Net Galley and the publisher for the arc.

This was an interesting read. It was a part of American history I was not familiar with. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an early read.

You not only get the history of the Rothschild women but of Jewish history as well. These women were the real backbone and driving force of the family. Politics, art, charities and education are just some of the areas these women excelled. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

THE WOMEN OF ROTHSCHILD: The Untold Story of the World's Most Famous Dynasty
by Natalie Livingstone
St. Martin's Press
Out Oct 25

I learned so much about the Rothschild dynasty while reading Natalie Livingstone's intriguing history of its women. Jewish in a Christian world, the family started in extreme poverty and amassed great wealth over time. The author contends that the Rothschild women, while never able to work in the family's bank during the early 19th Century to the beginning of the 20th, were still influential in the rise of the family's social status as well as its gain in riches.

The extraordinary story gripped me as it moved from London to the U.S. Eastern seaboard, from Scotland to Bletchley, and from Buchenwald to the Vatican to Palestine.

Well-written and researched, The Women of Rothschild is highly recommended for history buffs and readers captivated by real life stories of influential women. Brava, Natalie!

Thanks to the author, St. Martin's Press, and NetGalley for the ARC. Opinions are mine.

#TheWomenOfRothschild #StMartinsPress#NatalieLivingstone #NetGalley #HistoryOfWorldsMostFamousDynasty #19thCenturyHistory #20thCenturyHistory #bookstagramcommunity

What amazing research and intriguing writing!
Huge appreciation to NetGalley and publishers for allowing me to get an ARC of this research.

It is interesting, that only by reading this work, I realize that despite a vast amount of literature and research on the dynasty of Rothschild, we always read and concentrate on the founder of the dynasty and all the decisions his male descendants made. Surely, times and values were different and most of the time women, who were raised and stood by men were very much in the shadow, given their roles, but especially in Jewish culture, the role of the mother, amma of the family, is pretty heavy. Which is tried to be portrayed in this work.
The women of Rothschild managed to create a spirit and inspire their husbands/sons, help them in their way from poverty to absolute world power, and managed to keep values, beliefs, and religion in their lives.

An absolute must-read for anyone interested in the history of Rothschilds, 19-20 century history, why not feminist movement.

An easy and pretty fascinating read!

The Women of Rothschild
The Untold Story of the World's Most Famous Dynasty
by Natalie Livingston

I am a bit of a conspiracy theorist so the chance for a deep look into the Rothchild's was definitely an exciting prospect for me.

It was really an enigmatic look into the building of an empire into a world of wealth that seemingly ignores what the women in the family accomplish. Interesting really considering they were used a lot in the banking world as what the men considered, free labor.

Even since the very start the family have been entrepreneurs and widely independent. They have had their fingers in many pies over the centuries and seeing just where these women fit has really been quite interesting. The fact that they accomplished what they accomplished back then, during a time where Jews were treated like vermin, is actually quite inspiring.

The clause in Mayer’s will must have been heartbreaking for his daughters but I bet it didn’t come as any real surprise.

It was really quite an insightful read. I had no idea of the inner workings of the earlier Rothchild’s and how independent and savvy a lot of the women were. I would love to know more to be honest, about the family. I felt this book, while well researched, opened up a rabbit hole for me now. I have questions.

It was a little spiritless, I felt the tone was a little one dimensional. I felt it could have done with tonality and a little personality into the writing but that might be just me. It could have been a lot more gripping of a read with a little color.

The author did a lot of research and it was stitched together very well. It was a very pragmatic approach for providing the history.

Definitely worth the read and if you have an interest in the Rothchild's or are a conspiracy theorist like me, this is one for your shelves.

Thank you Netgalley and St Martin's Press for my ARC copy in exchange for my honest review.

The Women of Rothschild is an engrossing, engaging and utterly compelling personal look into the lives of the Rothschild women from the time of founding father Mayer Amschel Rothschild and his wife Gutle in the 18th century through the French Revolution to the world wars to recent times. Talk about a brilliant book! The sheer amount of information presented is astounding. Natalie Livingstone meticulously researched and along with photographs, family tree and vivid descriptions tells the story of the women in particular, the parts they played and their roles of the times. Some of them were fiercely independent and bucked social norms; some were traditional. The family was known as the "Jewish Royal Family", living in the difficult world where Jews were slandered and treated abysmally. But over time the women raised their children to blend with Christians. Their name was connected with Disraeli, Gladstone, P. T. Barnum and Tom Thumb as well as Queen Victoria and the wealthy London set.

Not only does Livingstone describe personal details such as feelings toward Judaism, finance, childbirth, medical conditions and treatment of the time, death and sorrow (one death from a boil) but also luxurious homes and hosting majestic balls. Weddings, marriages and child-rearing are described, amongst the most fascinating information in the book in my opinion. Rothschilds were fodder for cartoon satires and wrote fascinating wills which often slighted the women. The women's personalities are as varied as can be in a family. Learning about what drove them politically, socially, religiously and personally was such a pleasure.

If you are even slightly intrigued by this family, do read this book. It is lengthy but riddled with interesting stories which makes me feel smarter. Well worth reading.

My sincere thank you to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for the privilege of reading this riveting and fabulous book. I enjoyed it tremendously!

The second I saw this book I knew I had to read it. I adore history, especially female centered history. This book has incredibly stories about the Rothschilds. It's a wonderul plot following the real life rise of the family.

I found this to be an infinitely interesting book, about a world-famous family who, over the centuries, has made its mark in finance, art, culture, and religion. However, this book speaks of the Rothschild women as opposed to the men in the family, and the marks they made, not only in their own families, but to society as a whole. As the decades passes and women became more able to speak their minds and follow their own interests, so did these women, and the world is a better place for them.

My thanks to NetGalley for a digital ARC of this book; all opinions are my own.

This book gives the history of the Rothschild family through the lens of certain of the women members. I found this book to be full of interesting anecdotes and facts from the lives of the women chosen. It particularly drove home for me the “closeness” of history- what we consider historical was really just a few generations removed, and the changes witnessed in the time period covered were remarkable. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in European history or well-known women.