The Untold Story of the World's Most Famous Dynasty

Pub Date 25 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 31 Oct 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheWomenOfRothschild #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

From the East End of London to the Eastern seaboard of the United States, from Spitalfields to Scottish castles, from Bletchley Park to Buchenwald, and from the Vatican to Palestine, Natalie Livingstone follows the extraordinary lives of the Rothschild women from the dawn of the nineteenth century to the early years of the twenty-first.

As Jews in a Christian society and women in a deeply patriarchal family, they were outsiders. Excluded from the family bank, they forged their own distinct dynasty of daughters and nieces, mothers and aunts. They became influential hostesses and talented diplomats, choreographing electoral campaigns, advising prime ministers, advocating for social reform, and trading on the stock exchange. Misfits and conformists, conservatives and idealists, performers and introverts, they mixed with everyone from Queen Victoria to Chaim Weizmann, Rossini to Isaiah Berlin, and the Duke of Wellington to Alec Guinness, as well as with amphetamine-dealers, suffragists and avant-garde artists. Rothschild women helped bring down ghetto walls in early nineteenth-century Frankfurt, inspired some of the most remarkable cultural movements of the Victorian period, and in the mid-twentieth century burst into America, where they patronized Thelonious Monk and drag-raced through Manhattan with Miles Davis.

From the East End of London to the...

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

The Women of Rothschild: The Untold Story of the World's Most Famous Dynasty by Natalie Livingstone is an in-depth look at the full lineage of the fascinating women of the Rothschild family.

This book is a full and all-encompassing look at all of the formidable, fascinating, and extensive list of women that have been part of this infamous family.

The author has clearly done her research and I am impressed and stunned by the amount of facts and material that she has presented. It at times was a bit mind-jumbling to try to keep all of it straight, but the author presents the material in appropriate and sensible ways to help the reader follow through.
Unfortunately with it not being available for kindle, I was unable to enlarge the lovely family tree images at the beginning, which is such a shame. It would have really added to the learning experience.

I enjoyed learning more about this family.

4/5 stars

Thank you NG and St. Martin’s Press for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.

I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts immediately upon publication on 7/26/22.

Publication date: August 9, 2022

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review an advanced reader's copy of this book. This in no way affects my review, all opinions are my own and may be affected by the fact that it is snowy, windy and cold outside and we are in lockdown version 5.0, and I have nothing better to do than read three or more books a day??.

Absorbing and compulsive, The Women of Rothschild gives voice to the complicated, privileged, and gifted women whose vision and tenacity shaped history.In The Women of Rothschild, Natalie Livingstone reveals the role of women in shaping the legacy of the famous Rothschild dynasty, synonymous with wealth and power.

one of the funniest things I have seen recently was a scene from "Paris in Love" where they tricked her into thinking she was getting married in a field as "Nikki got married at Kensington Palace":. Well, Nikki was marrying a ROTHSCHILD!!! (And she was raised Catholic and is probably still a shiksa as it has never been revealed if she converted as she went as far as having her first marriage annulled.)

I ADORED Natalie's book "The Mistresses of Cliveden: Three Centuries of Scandal, Power and Intrigue in an English Stately Home" so I was utterly stoked to read this book as I expected and got great things. That (and Paris' field joke) aside, this was a fascinating look into the dynasty that was full of interesting and powerful women. This is not a feminist manifesto but a look into how these women made the family the dynasty it is. A perfect book for a lover of social history and a great book club pick if you are in search of an excellently written biography of a family that is still a force to be reckoned with in the financial and social world.

I received an e-ARC version of this book from NetGalley and the publisher.

“The Women of Rothschild” by Natalie Livingstone is a very detailed book about the women of the Rothschild family.

Ms. Livingstone has obviously done her research and it showed in this book. While at times the information was dense (and I felt fortunate to have read a book about the first Mrs. Rothschild previously, so I knew her story and the first generation children going in), I felt that Ms. Livingstone did the best that she could both explaining and presenting the information. This was not a quick read book as there’s a lot of information packed into this book - so do take your time when reading. It was refreshing to learn more about the women of the Rothschild family - as the males are well known, but these Rothschild women are important in their own ways to the dynasty. I do wish that this book had been available for Kindle, as I could’ve then more easily read the book itself and enlarged the family tree in the beginning of the book.

I enjoyed this look at these remarkedable women. And Jewish women at that. It' hard to believe they accomplished all they did in the time frame that they did.

I've heard people say, we had a Rothchild in the family--- I've wondered if there was one in my own.. A big family and interesting always to read about the women behind the men.. Thanks for the early read.

I enjoyed this nonfiction highlighting the women of the Rothschild dynasty. The historical research was interesting and well written for the reader to understand.

The Women of Rothschild is a fascinating history of women's lives during the 19th,and 20th centuries. What is especially interesting is their transformation from absolute poverty to great wealth. Their Judaism is always present and alive in their lives. However, Judaism in a Christian world is often a hinderance that curtails progress, but that does not stop these women. Author Natalie Livingstone has given the Rothschild women a great deal of credit for the family's transformation from poverty to wealth. Livingstone creates a novel that is rich in small and big stories. It is never boring and is always interesting. However, I think having a genealogical map handy would be wonderful. The problem with ebooks is the inability to flip back to the front pages to look at the family map. I found that anytime I had to put the book down, that I needed a few refresher moments to sort through the women. I thought this history was fascinating and obviously carefully researched. I appreciate that the publisher provided this ARC for me to read. Receiving ARC to read is always nice, but it never influences my review. And thank you to NetGalley for introducing me to so many wonderful new authors.

I loved this book. Natalie Livingstone tells great stories of the Rothschild women with lots of historical context. It is neither a paean nor a muckraking story. I feel that it is an objective look at these women, with their strengths and flaws. The book covers lots of ground so Livingstone doesn’t really linger over any particular stories. The writing is crisp and a pleasure to read. This book is well worth reading. Thank you to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for the advance reader copy.

Fascinating look at the Rothschild women through history.Strong women who contributed to their family their time in history.The author brought them alive I learned a lot about them.#netgalley #st.Martins

I learned a lot from this book and did not know a ton regarding the Rothschild women in any generation. History has mostly focused on ensuring the men's stories are passed down and prominently featured in books, and I was surprised at the rich details surrounding the women in the Rothschild dynasty. I enjoyed the detail and vivid descriptions of the narrative and the focus on women dating back several hundred years. I'm impressed at how much detail Natalie Livingstone was able to fit in the book and it's clear she did extensive research and preparation for the book.

I thought The Women of Rothschild: The Untold Story of the World's Most Famous Dynasty was an interesting read. I give it three stars.

This was an interesting read. It was a part of American history I was not familiar with. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an early read.

You not only get the history of the Rothschild women but of Jewish history as well. These women were the real backbone and driving force of the family. Politics, art, charities and education are just some of the areas these women excelled. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

THE WOMEN OF ROTHSCHILD: The Untold Story of the World's Most Famous Dynasty
by Natalie Livingstone
St. Martin's Press
Out Oct 25

I learned so much about the Rothschild dynasty while reading Natalie Livingstone's intriguing history of its women. Jewish in a Christian world, the family started in extreme poverty and amassed great wealth over time. The author contends that the Rothschild women, while never able to work in the family's bank during the early 19th Century to the beginning of the 20th, were still influential in the rise of the family's social status as well as its gain in riches.

The extraordinary story gripped me as it moved from London to the U.S. Eastern seaboard, from Scotland to Bletchley, and from Buchenwald to the Vatican to Palestine.

Well-written and researched, The Women of Rothschild is highly recommended for history buffs and readers captivated by real life stories of influential women. Brava, Natalie!

Thanks to the author, St. Martin's Press, and NetGalley for the ARC. Opinions are mine.

#TheWomenOfRothschild #StMartinsPress#NatalieLivingstone #NetGalley #HistoryOfWorldsMostFamousDynasty #19thCenturyHistory #20thCenturyHistory #bookstagramcommunity

What amazing research and intriguing writing!
Huge appreciation to NetGalley and publishers for allowing me to get an ARC of this research.

It is interesting, that only by reading this work, I realize that despite a vast amount of literature and research on the dynasty of Rothschild, we always read and concentrate on the founder of the dynasty and all the decisions his male descendants made. Surely, times and values were different and most of the time women, who were raised and stood by men were very much in the shadow, given their roles, but especially in Jewish culture, the role of the mother, amma of the family, is pretty heavy. Which is tried to be portrayed in this work.
The women of Rothschild managed to create a spirit and inspire their husbands/sons, help them in their way from poverty to absolute world power, and managed to keep values, beliefs, and religion in their lives.

An absolute must-read for anyone interested in the history of Rothschilds, 19-20 century history, why not feminist movement.

An easy and pretty fascinating read!

The Untold Story of the World's Most Famous Dynasty
by Natalie Livingston

I am a bit of a conspiracy theorist so the chance for a deep look into the Rothchild's was definitely an exciting prospect for me.

It was really an enigmatic look into the building of an empire into a world of wealth that seemingly ignores what the women in the family accomplish. Interesting really considering they were used a lot in the banking world as what the men considered, free labor.

Even since the very start the family have been entrepreneurs and widely independent. They have had their fingers in many pies over the centuries and seeing just where these women fit has really been quite interesting. The fact that they accomplished what they accomplished back then, during a time where Jews were treated like vermin, is actually quite inspiring.

The clause in Mayer’s will must have been heartbreaking for his daughters but I bet it didn’t come as any real surprise.

It was really quite an insightful read. I had no idea of the inner workings of the earlier Rothchild’s and how independent and savvy a lot of the women were. I would love to know more to be honest, about the family. I felt this book, while well researched, opened up a rabbit hole for me now. I have questions.

It was a little spiritless, I felt the tone was a little one dimensional. I felt it could have done with tonality and a little personality into the writing but that might be just me. It could have been a lot more gripping of a read with a little color.

The author did a lot of research and it was stitched together very well. It was a very pragmatic approach for providing the history.

Definitely worth the read and if you have an interest in the Rothchild's or are a conspiracy theorist like me, this is one for your shelves.

Thank you Netgalley and St Martin's Press for my ARC copy in exchange for my honest review.

The Women of Rothschild is an engrossing, engaging and utterly compelling personal look into the lives of the Rothschild women from the time of founding father Mayer Amschel Rothschild and his wife Gutle in the 18th century through the French Revolution to the world wars to recent times. Talk about a brilliant book! The sheer amount of information presented is astounding. Natalie Livingstone meticulously researched and along with photographs, family tree and vivid descriptions tells the story of the women in particular, the parts they played and their roles of the times. Some of them were fiercely independent and bucked social norms; some were traditional. The family was known as the "Jewish Royal Family", living in the difficult world where Jews were slandered and treated abysmally. But over time the women raised their children to blend with Christians. Their name was connected with Disraeli, Gladstone, P. T. Barnum and Tom Thumb as well as Queen Victoria and the wealthy London set.

Not only does Livingstone describe personal details such as feelings toward Judaism, finance, childbirth, medical conditions and treatment of the time, death and sorrow (one death from a boil) but also luxurious homes and hosting majestic balls. Weddings, marriages and child-rearing are described, amongst the most fascinating information in the book in my opinion. Rothschilds were fodder for cartoon satires and wrote fascinating wills which often slighted the women. The women's personalities are as varied as can be in a family. Learning about what drove them politically, socially, religiously and personally was such a pleasure.

If you are even slightly intrigued by this family, do read this book. It is lengthy but riddled with interesting stories which makes me feel smarter. Well worth reading.

My sincere thank you to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for the privilege of reading this riveting and fabulous book. I enjoyed it tremendously!

The second I saw this book I knew I had to read it. I adore history, especially female centered history. This book has incredibly stories about the Rothschilds. It's a wonderul plot following the real life rise of the family.

I found this to be an infinitely interesting book, about a world-famous family who, over the centuries, has made its mark in finance, art, culture, and religion. However, this book speaks of the Rothschild women as opposed to the men in the family, and the marks they made, not only in their own families, but to society as a whole. As the decades passes and women became more able to speak their minds and follow their own interests, so did these women, and the world is a better place for them.

My thanks to NetGalley for a digital ARC of this book; all opinions are my own.

This book gives the history of the Rothschild family through the lens of certain of the women members. I found this book to be full of interesting anecdotes and facts from the lives of the women chosen. It particularly drove home for me the “closeness” of history- what we consider historical was really just a few generations removed, and the changes witnessed in the time period covered were remarkable. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in European history or well-known women.

This book was so interesting and thereby researched. Women, wow. Natalie Livingstone reveals the role of women in shaping the legacy of the famous Rothschild dynasty. What a great read.

I really didn't know anything about the Rothschild dynasty, so this was a treat for me. I always enjoy learning about people and thought this was a really well done book. I could tell the book was well-researched and Natalie Livingstone kept me entertained throughout. I look forward to reading more from Natalie Livingstone, as I enjoyed reading this book.

The Women of Rothschild is a very well researched and detailed history of the Rothschild wives, mothers and daughters. It shows the history of the various times in history including the founding of Israel and Great Britain's role. It can be a heavy slog but interesting, nonetheless

There is much information about these amazing women. Interesting but dense information. History from a female perspective is one that should be shown more. It gives the reader new ways to view the past.

This ARC was provided to me via Kindle, from St. Martin's Press and #NetGalley. Thank you for the opportunity to preview and review. Opinions expressed are completely my own.

A remarkable book about fascinating women. Natalie Livinstone obviously did the research as this is a beautiful, well done history of a well regarded family.

The Women of Rothschild by Natalie Livingston is an immensely readable, well documented history of the contributions made by the female members of the family. From its early 19th century beginning in the Frankfurt ghetto through the beginning of the 21 century readers experience a unique story not only of the ever expanding family but how they adapted to what was happening in the world at the time. It’s a story about subjugation to liberation to recognition that should resonate with all students of history. I voluntarily reviewed an advance copy of this book from NetGalley. Most highly recommend.

I love nonfiction historical books. This one reads like it’s actually fiction it’s so interesting. I couldn’t wait to finish and then I started reading it again.

The Rothschilds are a dynasty eponymous for wealth, but the women of the family have been long relegated to the shadows of history despite their major influence on English culture and society in their time.

The only thing I knew about the Rothschilds before reading this book was the myth about Nathan Rothschild making a treacherous fortune on the news of Waterloo. I had not considered the women of this family at all - which really is a shame, considering how fascinating they are.

In this book, Livingstone traces the lives of the Rothschild women who lived in England - the descendants of Nathan Mayer, who was one of the five brothers who established the family bank as an international entity. The women led fascinating lives, involving themselves in politics, charity, science, and even the family business despite a generation-long edict against female involvement. Despite the plethora of people discussed in the book, they were easy to tell apart due to the way the author strongly established their personalities.

However, the timeline of the book occasionally became confusing as we moved back and forth between the women being profiled in the different sections. I was also really disappointed that, after the level of detail in the first half of the book, some of the women in Parts III and IV were barely touched upon, though I am aware that this may have been due to the destruction of family papers that Livingstone referenced a few times throughout the book.

By Natalie Livingstone

The story of the Rothschild family of German Jews, which grew to be the pre-eminent banking family throughout Europe, has been told many times. This book goes beyond the male Rothschild line and tells the story of the remarkable women – whether born Rothschild or married into the family – who worked behind the scenes to support their husbands' enterprises. But more than promoting the family business, these women became patrons of the arts, philanthropists, and shrewd politicians. They were wives and mothers – but most of all, they were women in an age where women were supposed to be decorative and subservient to their husbands' wants and needs.

These women were not perfect. Several married outside their religion which was anathema to their more conservative relatives. They did not always like and respect their various aunts, uncles, and cousins. But they worked hard to gain respect for the Rothschild name and family.

This is an interesting peek behind the male dominated façade of a powerful family and the women who made it strong.

Although this is not the type of book that makes up the bulk of my reading, I was offered a chance to read an advance copy, and I am glad that I decided to do it! This is a comprehensive account of many of the women who were part of the famous Rothschild dynasty, women whose role in the development and growth of this family was an enormous one, as they were extremely influential in a variety of ways.

This historical tome is very well-written, and I applaud the author for the meticulous research she has done. All in all, this was an enjoyable read and a fascinating look at the women who were a part of this iconic family.

Absolutely fascinating story of the individuals in the Rothschild family who had more power than we knew. I only wish their independence and individuality shone through a bit more.

I absolutely LOVE this type of book and it’s the type of book I absolutely struggle with.
So many names places and facts thrown out my brain starts to feel like mush.
Very worth the read - strong independent women navigating a man’s world (AND family) - this book is full of gripping and enthralling stories. Sometimes my brain just got distracted by minutiae instead of enjoying the tale so I would have to double back. This it took me longer than my average read, required a bit more concentration and focus. I may have taken a few extra reading breaks and a bit more time but I never doubted that I would soon pick it back up and dive back in.

This was a unusual read for me, but I’m so glad I gave it a chance - it’s such an interesting book. The author draws on extensive research to craft the stories of the women of this formidable family - the roles they played (both outwardly and behind-the-scenes), the choices they made, and the endless ways they furthered the rise of this famous family. The writing is approachable and captivated my attention; the author has a particular gift for noting small details that help each scene come alive. If you’re looking for an unexpected and inspiring read about real-life women overcoming odds large and small, this is a great choice.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing a copy of this book.

A look into the empire of the Rothschild women. The author did intense and well done research for this book. It is written on every page. Thank you NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

About the only thing I knew about the Rothschild family when I started this book was that they were rich. Very, very rich. To be honest, I'd never thought about how they got that way. This book tells us and, wow, it wasn't easy. It was even harder for the women of the family given the blatant sexist attitudes of the time Gutle Snapper married Mayer Amschel Rothschild in 1770. I won't even attempt to summarize this book as it contains exhaustive research and reaches into the early 2000s, so would direct you to the book blurb for more specific bits of info within.

I have to also admit that I was expecting a drier, more scholarly read. Thank goodness I was wrong about that. Yes, it's long, but it also focuses on the people and how they reacted to events, not just the events of their lives. And, what amazing lives they lived. From Gutle's days in the surely claustrophobic confines of the Judengasse, a narrow, shadowy, crowded stretch of land on the east side of Frankfurt where Jews were basically confined (and forced to pay), to Miriam in more modern times as she moves about the world, they had an impact upon not just the family but the world. Let's just say, modern Israel owes the Rothschild family.

It was interesting to see how each generation moved within the norms of the time, from Gutle's days when Mayer's will cut her and his daughters out of his inheritance and basically turned over their well-being to their brothers, to Miriam's world which spanned the resistance movement of WWII into more modern times as a respected scientist and benefactor. Famous faces make an appearance, all of which kept me busy aligning my own knowledge of the time (being a history major helped) to movies given appearances by Clark Gable and Alec Guinness.

Bottom line, there's a great deal to take in from this book and I'll admit to reading it in bits and pieces and, gasp, yes, even skimming sections at times. I also spent some time going back and forth from the index to the topic listed to make sure I hadn't missed anything, wishing I had the time to read the lengthy list of articles and citations at the end. Admittedly, this isn't a book for everyone, making it difficult to rate, but if you love history, are intrigued at the idea of a woman's place in historic events, or are just simply curious about how this one family that began in dire poverty not only survived but thrived, give it a read. Yes, it's long but, hey, no one said you have to read it in one day.

Thanks #NetGalley and #StMartinsPress for opening my eyes to not only a fascinating family and the role of its women throughout history but introducing me to some bits of history that I had only a passing knowledge of. Kudos to author #NatalieLivingstone for making that possible.

In “The Women of Rothschild, the Untold Story of the World’s Most Famous Dynasty,” author Natalie Livingstone explores multiple generations of Rothschild women, both those born into the dynasty and those who married into it. Starting in 1753 with Gutle Rothschild, the family matriarch and mother of the five sons that would form the basis for the worldwide Rothschild family, the book covers many historical events and their impact on the Rothschild women and the Rothschild women’s impact on those same historical events. Wars, political movements, and domestic crises are just some of the areas covered by this book, which concludes with the twentieth century and twenty-first century Rothschild women.

Through Livingstone’s beautiful writing style and extensive research into private letters, diaries and family memoirs, the author brings each woman to vivid life. She details their contributions to politics, science and culture, as well as their interpersonal relationships with various family members. My only quibble with the book was that the lengthy period covered made it difficult at times to remember each individual and her relationship within the family. Although a genealogical chart was provided in the beginning of the book to help identify the women in relation to the family, it is difficult to read the chart in the ebook format as opposed to a print edition. However, as mentioned previously, the author’s meticulous research and almost poetic language made up for this minor annoyance. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the Rothschilds, Jewish history and women’s impact on historical events.

(Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for providing me an ARC copy of the book in exchange for my honest review).

The Women of Rothschild is a meticulously researched and well written nonfiction book, in the tales Ms. Livingstone presents about the women in the iconic Rothschild family. The men’s stories have lived on for many years, but the womens’ were lost to history due to familial and societal misogyny. The author has given the female Rotschilds voice in this title.

Spending time reading this, and learning about these women was fascinating.

Recommended.

As I read this title, I was in wonder at how much research had clearly gone into it by the author. The Rothschild men are often told about in history, but their wives, daughters, etc are so often neglected to ve mentioned at all. This remedies quite a bit of that, beginning with the tale of the group matriarch, Gutle. As her family expands, you'll see how her children, and so on, become successful in banking, entertaining heads of state and royalty, and moving all around as their husbands get further into their own businesses. Behind every good man stands a good woman, and I recommend the stories of these incredible women!

My thanks to Net Galley and St Martin's for the invitation to read this very interesting and well researched book. I thought it a bit slow in parts but fascinating stories of the women behind all the men.

An amazing read. A must read for anyone interested in the lost stories of women throughout the ages. It a beautiful book to give as a gift.

What fascinating women this story describes! I've read a few pieces about the Rothschild family over the years and am continually amazed at the breath and depth of the family's involvement in so many arenas - and across so many generations. The writing is very detailed, offering narrative about not only the family but the worlds in which it operated, and the wily way that the family members manipulated political, religious, and social events to continue to thrive was magnificent to watch unfold.

Absolutely engrossing book about all these women from the Rothschild family. The author traces the family roots from Gutle - the matriarch - through her daughters, daughters-in-law, granddaughters and more, right up to the present day.

I learned not only about the family but I was taken on a trip through European history from the 1700s through close to present times, as not only seen but also influenced by these amazing women. They were involved in so many social and political movements especially in the late 1800's into the 1940's (all the big movements of those times to include rights of women and children, workers, recognizing Jews as citizens, and even the creation of the independent state of Israel).

If you love biographies or history, you will love this book. I would even venture that if you love historical fiction, you'd also love this book because it reads like unbelievable (yet true) stories!

This would make an excellent book club pick!