Inciting Joy

Essays

Pub Date 25 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 22 Nov 2022

Talking about this book? Use #IncitingJoy #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

An intimate and electrifying collection of essays from the New York Times bestselling author of The Book of Delights

In these gorgeously written and timely pieces, prize-winning poet and author Ross Gay considers the joy we incite when we care for each other, especially during life’s inevitable hardships. Throughout Inciting Joy, he explores how we can practice recognizing that connection, and also, crucially, how we expand it.

In “We Kin” he thinks about the garden (especially around August, when the zucchini and tomatoes come on) as a laboratory of mutual aid; in “Share Your Bucket” he explores skateboarding’s reclamation of public space; he considers the costs of masculinity in “Grief Suite”; and in “Through My Tears I Saw,” he recognizes what was healed in caring for his father as he was dying.

In an era when divisive voices take up so much air space, Inciting Joy offers a vital alternative: What might be possible if we turn our attention to what brings us together, to what we love? Full of energy, curiosity, and compassion, Inciting Joy is essential reading from one of our most brilliant writers.

In these gorgeously written and timely pieces, prize-winning poet and author...

Send to Kindle (PDF)