The Lore, Legends, and Legacy of Cannabis
by Dan Michaels
This title was previously available on NetGalley and is now archived.
Send NetGalley books directly to your Kindle or Kindle app
To read on a Kindle or Kindle app, please add firstname.lastname@example.org as an approved email address to receive files in your Amazon account. Click here for step-by-step instructions.
Also find your Kindle email address within your Amazon account, and enter it here.
Pub Date 04 Apr 2023 | Archive Date 31 Aug 2023
Clarkson Potter/Ten Speed Press, Ten Speed Press
Higher breaks through the cloud of confusion around marijuana with a clear, concise, and comprehensive breakdown of bud. The culmination of significant research and conversation within the cannabis community, Higher offers portraits of the 100 most popular strains of yesterday and today, including intel on lineage, taste, THC content, and common effects, as well as stories about the misfits, visionaries, hijinks, and happenings that make cannabis so entertaining. Topics include:
- Origin Stories: The rise and spread of modern cannabis, from its emergence in the Hippie Trail of Central Asia up to the present-day Emerald Triangle in California.
- Prohibition: A historical timeline from legal to illegal and back to legal, including the “Marihuana Tax Act,” the war on drugs, medical marijuana, and the end of prohibition.
- Anatomy: A complete breakdown of the plant’s unique and complex botany.
- Breeding: The evolution of cannabis, from “wild” landraces and the first domesticated crops to the invention of sinsemilla and hydroponic hybrids.
- Consumption: All the ways humans have imbibed through the ages—eating, smoking, rolling, vaping, tinctures, and so much more.
- Strains: The world’s most important and influential cannabis strains ever created, including profiles of fifty classic and fifty modern strains.
Featuring stunning, whole-plant photography, Higher offers the eye candy and sound information today’s diverse and discerning cannabis enthusiast wants.
Available on NetGalley
Average rating from 7 members
Higher is a complete and accurate record of cannabis strands of the modern era. Dan Michaels compiles pictures, historical accounts, and quality reviews of each strand. His unique approach to providing excellent photography shines a light on the beauties of each bud. Each consumer of cannabis will be able to use this as a reference for their shopping list. The pictures are not often seen in such detail unless you were to follow High TImes over the past twenty to thirty years. With more states and countries legalizing the use of cannabis, texts in this category will appear more in the media. However, not all texts and plants are treated equally. Higher is a great example of how people will risk their reputations and careers for their beliefs. And their returns may not give them enough security to continue with their message. Cultural differences regarding plants and ethnobotany have been a source of conflict long before Columbus brought his spice trade into the global economy. Now it is either a land grab or a stash grab.
I believe cannabis has a purpose in every person's life. How to use it is a matter of learning. Letting people live with a plant will impact the future of civilizations. People will have needed to support the use of this plant if they plan to live beyond the ages of war and into a peaceful world. Though my interpretation of this text serves a purpose for a glossary of popular use in the West. Hemp and ganja have an ancient tradition and spiritual importance in the East. Births of civilizations include hemp as a necessary fabric for textiles and pulp for letters. People could not have built a civilization or a record of events without hemp. If you trace the origins of this plant, you can fact your research with this text. Though political demonization has left records to be locked away, this text is an eye-opener into the beauties and wonders of herbalism and cannabis. Read this book to gain a higher perspective.
Thank you to Ten Speed Press and Dan Michaels for this Advanced Readers Copy.